DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Had to stop by today since it's my birthday (yeah, shameless plug, I know) and I wanted to say hello to you guys.
Typical of the ways things have gone for me lately, I won't get much time to celebrate and it really just feels like a Thursday of no major significance.
DW and I are both working until this evening, DDs are both in school/university, youngest has dance an hour after work is finished. So maybe time for a quick supper before driving her there. Perhaps a slice of cake and drink of rum before bed. Work again in the morning so it wont be much of a party.

Happy birthday, Jeff! Hope you can properly celebrate this weekend (or the next time you get a break).

I hate to admit it, but the shine is wearing off the pixie dust.

They seem to go in cycles between the creative people and the accountants running the show. We just need to make it till the next iteration when the creatives take over again.

Morning all. So who else saw the new Muppets haunted mansion? We all loved it, the wife and I have been wanting new Muppets movies for ages
I loved it more the second time around. I hope they figure out what to do with the Muppets soon. And I really hope Disney doesn't hamstring the Muppets and allows it to be what it always has been.

Welcome back.
Thanks for the insightful and detailed reviews. I'll make up my own mind on the new shows if/when I get back there, but it doesn't sound like I'll have much to look forward to.
Please don't let my opinions affect yours. I purposefully kept my review spoiler free so that everyone could decide for themselves. I avoided spoilers and videos before I went but I plan on watching videos now and seeing if my opinion changes. Both The Better Half and The Kid thought Enchanted and HarmoniUS were good but not better than what they replaced. We all agreed that HarmoniUS just isn't Epcot.

I've worked with massive databases (over 5 petaBytes). I've also seen IT and DBs done well....Disney ain't it.
I didn't mean that Disney's database is done well; I'm just impressed it works at all. I can only image how much of a bloated mess it is.

Sad, but can't say unexpected. The more they've made people glued to the phone with their app, the worse the park experience has gotten.
I couldn't agree more. Disney is supposed to be about escaping, not being glued to a phone. So many details are missed when your nose is in your phone.

I know Midway has some of the shortest runways at a major airport in the country. Every time we land there the pilot is jamming on the brakes and hitting full flaps as soon as the wheels touch the pavement. I remember walking off the plane and overhearing the flight attendant and pilot talking:
"Kind of a rough landing, huh?"
"I hate landing here."
Between the turbulence due to a storm and the screaming stop, it was an experience. Almost as much fun as taking off from John Wayne. That airport has strict noise regulations so they climb fast and steep. It feels like you are going straight up on the nose of a rocket.

This is my biggest complaint with all of the Disney nighttime shows now. They aren't original or telling any stories. They're just Disney clip shows.
::yes::

Had to stop by today since it's my birthday (yeah, shameless plug, I know) and I wanted to say hello to you guys.
I think I'll watch Muppets Haunted Mansion tonight. Most of the reviews I've heard have been positive. Something to look forward to all day anyway.
:bday:
You know you're getting older when your birthday no longer consists of a wild party, but does include a Muppets movie and early to bed. :rotfl2:

I was thinking the other day that after several nearly annual trips, I have now only been to WDW once in the last 7 years, with no immediate plans to go again. I hate to admit it, but the shine is wearing off the pixie dust.
The shine may be wearing off but it is still our escape; we just tour differently than we used to. We take our time and don't focus so much on the rides and attractions. Ride a boat, catch a show, explore a new resort, just do something different. We spent a day at Blizzard Beach and loved it. We're even talking about taking a day and seeing the "Real Florida" next time we go.

Morning, Fellas! Been offline the last two days due to a power outage, so in order for me to get a response in, and not take too much time writing, which I can do, I'm going to respond in stages. Yeah, so we had a major Nor'easter blow threw Tuesday night, which caused us to lose power around 2 am Wednesday morning. Yes, I was awake when lost power. Wound up not having work Wednesday or yesterday morning, so that was a nice mid-week break. We have a generator to run some things, heat/hot water, some lights and plugs but not much else. No TV or internet, so I spent a lot of time going back over old photos and editing/re-editing old photos that, for some reason, I either didn't like/edit the first time, or learned enough to re-edit old photos to make them look a little better. Did some cleaning and organizing. The DD, to her credit, didn't freak out once because there wasn't any TV. She read and played games the whole time. Heard that 90% of the Town of Falmouth was without power at one point. There's a major street that's been closed since the storm hit, which makes me wonder what happened, but won't find out until the street opens. Roads all over the place are either closed or limited in access because of down trees. It'll take days before all the power on the Cape is back on. We got power yesterday at about 5pm, so just under 40 hours with no power. So now it's Friday and the weekend is upon us. Work yesterday was great. I went to a small office with only 12 patients for the day, but since we were closed in the morning, we only had 7 for the afternoon. The practice manager turned on the TV, clicked over to Netflix, handed me the remote and said, "Find something to watch." Me, "Ok!" So I turned on Star Trek DS9. Nothing too interesting, but something I could watch without any cus words or graphic content. Well that's it. Gotta run and get breakfast going so I head off to work.

TTFN

Morning, folks.

Not a great one, this morning. Was up half the night with stomach aches. My own dang fault as I ate a fair amount of junk food yesterday. Live and learn (or poop... as the case may be.)

Man, that's not a good feeling....hate having an upset stomach. Well, as my aunt always says, "Take a good dump." That'll fix it.

Glad you're finally where you want to be. Permanently employed. Now you can start counting the days until retirement!

Thanks. And yes, count down to retirement begins.

Oh, really! I think I need to pay this a visit some day.

It's a great museum, you need to come visit....just let me know when you do and I'll meet you there.

Now that was an interesting reference. You said WWII, so assumed all the ships were. But there was no East Germany until after the war. A quick Google tells me she was originally Soviet and built in 1984. She wasn't East German for long as she was acquired by East Germany in 1990, whereas the wall came down in '89. She was decommissioned in April 1991 and transferred to the US in November the same year.

Yeah, they say the largest collection of WWII ships, but obviously the Hiddensee isn't of WWII. Somehow Battleship Cove got ahold of it after the U.S. Navy was done with it. It certainly adds to the museum, though.

Had to look that one up too. Soviet.

Interesting collection for sure.

That it is, and worth the visit.

It's that "most part" that keeps us going back for the next paycheck.

:thumbsup2

I'm sure that feels like a huge weight off your shoulders!

Huge weight. It feels good having that off my shoulders.

Huh. I didn't know about that. Certainly sounds like a worthy visit. And I know for sure Rob would be interested.

It's a great museum, and certainly worth the visit.

Mamie and her entourage are most certainly no my list of destinations along with several other stops up that way.
Just haven't been able to get that far northeast yet.

When you do make it up here let me know, and I'll meet you there.

Congrats again. Happy for ya!

Oooh. Sounds like a good(not in the winter) road trip

Always welcome to come up and visit. Maybe plan it with some other DisDads and make it a mini-meet up.

Wasn't that. I can count the number of times I've had Taco Bell on... well, one finger.

Love me some Taco Bell....though in moderation.

Hello Everyone,

Got back from the World on Sunday evening and I'm finally getting caught up at work. The jet lag is lasting a little longer though. Southwest got us across the country and back successfully though it was a bumpy ride home on Sunday. The decent into Midway was especially rough.

Since I was at Disney last week, I got to experience what it was like both before Genie and after and, boy, was there a world of difference. Anecdotally, the standby lines went up considerably after Genie debuted and I found that Cast Members were more reluctant to give out fastpasses, or lightning lane passes, or whatever, as a guest satisfaction recovery. After all, they don't want to slow down the paying Genie+ customers. The Lightning Lanes were so backed up that I saw several people complain that they paid extra for them but still had to wait in the long lines. In addition to the problems Genie caused, it seemed there was a bigger issue with their systems last Tuesday as well. When we tried to tap into Studios, all of us were denied and we were sent to Guest Relations. Turns out our annual passes somehow became unlinked to each of us as admission. The CM at guest relations could see our AP's, could see that they were active, but did not know why we weren't being allowed in. It took her about 30 minutes on the phone with the IT department to get everything straightened out. With as massive as Disney's database is, I am surprised it works as well as it does.

The Genie software itself it typical Disney bloated mess; It is slow and some of the menu placements are weird. I played with Genie the first couple of days it was available, but gave up after that. I did not pay for Genie+ and my family has a policy that we won't wait more than 30 minutes for our favorite rides, much less other rides. I didn't have any intentions to follow the Genie recommendations, I just wanted to see what it would recommend. The Kid and I stood next to each other, input the same preferences, and Genie gave two vastly different recommendations. While standing next to Muppets, Genie said I should go to to the Disney Junior Dance Party. Keep in mind that the youngest person I was with is 16. Genie told The Kid that we should go wait in the 60 minute line for Slinky Dog. Every other step included stopping at some sort of food cart or restaurant. While chatting with a wonderful couple at MK when waiting for Enchanted to begin, they said they experienced the same thing. Disney noticed we hadn't spent any money in the last 5 minutes and wanted us to stop doing free things.

Speaking of Enchanted, it is a good show. The story is a bit difficult to follow but it is visually impressive. No one in my family thinks it is a worthy replacement for Happily Ever After. Watch it from centered on the castle from the entrance to the hub from Main Street. The first time we saw it, we were on the curb on the Adventureland side of the hub and all the fireworks were off to the side of the castle. The second time we saw it, were were centered in Main Street and the fireworks made more sense.

Finally, what can I say about Epcot? Epcot has always been my favorite park. For me, Epcot is all about the ambiance and atmosphere. After thinking for a long time about it, I think the best way I can describe it is that the "flavor" of Epcot is changing. Whereas Epcot used to be a bit understated, it is now more upbeat and in your face than it used to be. The music is faster and more "pop-y", the lights are brighter, and everything seems faster, if that makes sense. Spaceship Earth is defiantly in your face now. The points of light are impressive and bright, they can be seen from almost anywhere on property. I was not a fan at first but they are growing on me. I loved the floodlights on Spaceship Earth because they accented the shapes and the way the lights blended together. The points of light aren't that.

HarmoniUS, on the other hand, not only am I not a fan of, but I hate. I would be a happy man if the barges caught fire and sank. In my opinion, Illuminations is the best show but I would take Epcot Forever over HarmoniUS. The show itself is choppy with no story and a very thin, tenuous thread running through it to tie all the pieces together. The thread is that every county has music. When it was over, The Kid and I looked at each other and both said, "Is it over?" There is no real ending or conclusion. The clue that it was over is the lights came back on. Add in the fact that the show is only complete when viewed head on, and there are just too many things wrong with it for me. I also can't stand that the stargate and tacos are a blight in the lagoon. The sightlines are completely destroyed and the show does not make up for that. Disney has given up on hiding the barges during the day. Instead they show the 50th logo all day. Don't get me wrong, the technology for the show is impressive, I just think Disney had a solution and went looking for a problem. Unfortunately, this is what they came up with.

Thanks for the detailed report....I'll have to read it later, though I can't wait.

Morning gents.
I’ve decided I’m not a fan of the alarm. I vote we get rid of them.

Wound up not having work Wednesday or yesterday morning, so that was a nice mid-week break.
So silver linings. How do I arrange for a city-wide… oh. Never mind. Work has battery and diesel backup.
so I spent a lot of time going back over old photos and editing/re-editing old photos
Good way to spend the time. ::yes::
It's a great museum, you need to come visit....just let me know when you do and I'll meet you there.
:thumbsup2

Morning Gents.

Woke up to hear that 22,000 public employees were starting a strike action this morning. Doesn't mean much for me but it does for DW. Some of those employees are school support staff so the schools have gone to an operational day. The plan is to get ready to move to online learning and have the teachers teach from home. Looks like I may have some company for a few days.

DW's weekend shopping trip with some of her friends also got cancelled because the city where they were headed is starting a Covid circuit breaker tonight at 6 so non-essential travel is restricted in and out of that zone for 14 days. So there goes my bachelor Saturday night.

Interesting to see the comments here and elsewhere about Genie+ and the new shows. I've only watched the new shows once online and I was underwhelmed. But then again, neither of them will compare to Wishes or Illuminations. As for Genie+, don't forget it really just a crowd management app disguised as a tool to make your trip better.

Have a good one all.

Noooooo, not my Batman alarm clock!?!
Sorry. Should have clarified.
I vote we get rid of alarm clocks... for those that actually get used.
Woke up to hear that 22,000 public employees were starting a strike action this morning.
Better wages, I presume.
DW's weekend shopping trip with some of her friends also got cancelled because the city where they were headed is starting a Covid circuit breaker tonight at 6 so non-essential travel is restricted in and out of that zone for 14 days. So there goes my bachelor Saturday night.
Sorry to hear.

Better wages, I presume.

Part of it. The province offered an increase below the inflation rate, the locals asked for one just above it. There are 10 different locals involved and they have been without contracts anywhere from 2 to 4 years.

Last edited:
Part of it. The province offered an increase below the inflation rate, the locals asked for one just about it. There are 10 different locals involved and they have been without contracts anywhere from 2 to 4 years.
Yeah, that'd do it.

Hey, Gents! Had a great day at work yesterday. Worked at vascular surgery at one of the hospitals here on the Cape. Found out once I got there that they had free breakfast, lunch and dinner all day, so I decided to help myself to second breakfast and a free lunch of pulled pork, pulled chicken and mac-n-cheese. Mmmmm I also had a total of 8 patients all day, so lots of sitting around chatting with the nurses. ::yes:: ::yes:: Oh yeah! It was a slow day because of so few patients, but a good day. Have a good one, fellas. We'll chat later.

TTFN

So silver linings. How do I arrange for a city-wide… oh. Never mind. Work has battery and diesel backup.

It was nice. And the thing is, most, if not all, of our buildings, have generators, but I guess it's not enough to run everything. If the power is down then that means the internet is down, so no access to electronic records.

Good way to spend the time. ::yes::

I thought so.

:teeth:

Morning Gents.

Woke up to hear that 22,000 public employees were starting a strike action this morning. Doesn't mean much for me but it does for DW. Some of those employees are school support staff so the schools have gone to an operational day. The plan is to get ready to move to online learning and have the teachers teach from home. Looks like I may have some company for a few days.

Interesting to see the comments here and elsewhere about Genie+ and the new shows. I've only watched the new shows once online and I was underwhelmed. But then again, neither of them will compare to Wishes or Illuminations. As for Genie+, don't forget it really just a crowd management app disguised as a tool to make your trip better.

Have a good one all.

That could cause some problems, hope all works out quickly. And for you to lose your bachelor weekend! I mean, come on! I still need to read up on Genie+, but looking forward to it.

Morning gents.
I’ve decided I’m not a fan of the alarm. I vote we get rid of them.

Suits me just fine....I don't use mine anyways.

Sorry. Should have clarified.
I vote we get rid of alarm clocks... for those that actually get used.

I second getting rid of alarm clocks....

Third, I move we vote on getting rid of alarm clocks.

Morning Gents.

Just watching an old Flynn/De Haviland movie while enjoying some coffee. Plan on putting the deck furniture away for the winter and then probably call it a day.

Have a good one all.

Last edited:
Morning Gents.

Just watching an old Flynn/De Haviland movie while enjoying dome coffee. Plan on putting the deck furniture away for the winter and then probably call it a day.

Have a good one all.
What movie and what is dome coffee? Doc might be interested…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter