• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDP Advice?

fizzymint

Earning My Ears
Hey all! We just booked our vacation + dining plan for January 2019. It is only my second time to the parks in over a decade, and my first time using the dining plan, so I would love some advice on what experienced folks think might be the best way to spend our table service credits.

We are going to have 9 credits and hope to go to the following, if ADRs work out:

Ohana (1 credit)
Garden Grill (1)
Monsieur Paul (2)
Moriomoto Asia - Lunch (1)
Tusker House (1)
50s Prime Time (1)
Via Napoli (1)
1900 Park Fare (1)
Be Our Guest - Dinner (2)

So we are at 11 table service credits. A couple of things we are considering are getting the Rivers of Light package with Tusker House and just paying for that out of pocket, and then paying for Via Napoli to save credits for Monsieur Paul or Be Our Guest.

I have seen some people say the 2-credit places aren't as worth it. Should we pay for one of those meals instead? Do people like Rivers of Light enough to pay for it, or should we just use the credit for Tusker House and not get the package?

Right now I am leaning toward no package and paying for Be Our Guest out of pocket. Thank you for the help!

No one has had the new BOG menu yet but I have eaten both lunch and dinner there and unless they are going to bring in a whole new culinary team and level of food, it absolutely would not be worth 2 credits.

Not sure how many are in your party. You might want to pay oop for Via Napoli. You can't share the large pizza on the dining plan, but can if you aren't using it. My DS (adult) and I shared a ceasar salad and a medium pizza and it was plenty of food. Would have been a waste of a dining credit

I think I saw BOG dinner is $55 per adult when it becomes fixed price, so that wouldn’t be a good use of 2 table service credits. As a comparison Cinderella’s Royal Table is almost $90/adult for dinner and still not considered a great value at 2 TS credits. You could pay OOP for BOG and then be at 9 credits.

Also, since this is your first time, make sure you are counting your available credits correctly. They are tied to the number of NIGHTS you stay, so are you staying for nine nights/10 days or are you there for eight nights/nine days?

I have seen some people say the 2-credit places aren't as worth it. Should we pay for one of those meals instead? Do people like Rivers of Light enough to pay for it, or should we just use the credit for Tusker House and not get the package?

You can use the credit for Tusker House and get the ROL package. It's 1 TS credit either way.

I would pay for the BOG dinner OOP. It's not a great use of 2 credits.

I think most of your credits are decent uses. 50's prime and Via Napoli are the two I would pay OOP as they are not very expensive meals at the most expensive meals on the menu being $24 and $26 dollars. Like many have said a huge pizza can be bought and shared with the whole table. I personally would not use 2 credits for BOG. If you wish to see the castle then I would use one of your QS for lunch there. Remember that BOG lunch is a QS and does need a reservation.

Agreeing with PPs who suggest doing BOG dinner and/or Via Napoli OOP.
VN is a great place to share a pie at (the small one has 4 slices) which pairs nicely with a salad or appetizer. The "ugly sundae' is a great dessert share as well.

Since no one has had the new BOG prix fixe menu it's difficult to judge the quality but certainly from a financial point of view OOP is wise.

If you didn't want to pay out of pocket, check the menus for the 1 credit places on your list that would allowing sharing (no buffet, all you care to eat or character places) to see if that is an option for you. For instance, prime time café has the mixed plate which includes meatloaf, chicken, pot roast etc or the fried chicken meal which includes a half chicken plus sides. You could easily share these entrees to save 1 credit.

Also, since this is your first time, make sure you are counting your available credits correctly. They are tied to the number of NIGHTS you stay, so are you staying for nine nights/10 days or are you there for eight nights/nine days?

We're there for 9 nights/10 days -- fortunately our TA spelled it all out for us or I probably would have gotten it mixed up!

Thanks for all the advice here! This is really helpful. The Prime Time and pizza share ideas are things I hadn't even considered.

We're there for 9 nights/10 days -- fortunately our TA spelled it all out for us or I probably would have gotten it mixed up!

Thanks for all the advice here! This is really helpful. The Prime Time and pizza share ideas are things I hadn't even considered.

Another thing you might want to consider is that when you get back from Universal you might want to just eat at Disney if its not too late. We have found that you can get reservations at Disney Springs as late as 10:30. Could save you from paying more money at Universal.

We generally share several meals, both TS and CS alike. I like to book a few signature meals and while I am not opposed to paying OOP for extras, I am not happy to toss food away and then order more, KWIM? We are fortunate that we have a larger group and there are enough of us who enjoy the same things that this works well for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter