DDP and tipping question

kizzabel

Eating poisonous apples since '86
Hi,

we are just in the early planning stages for our 1st WDW trip and were looking at OKW or SS which are both coming up with free DDP at the moment and $100 free giftcard - I have two questions

1 - Do you still tip at TS restaurants if you have DDP?
2 - If so, can the giftcard be used for tipping?

Thanks in advance

Yes you tip. You are given a bill showing what meal would have cost and suggested 18 or 20% tip.

Yes you can charge tips to room then pay off balance with the card.

On the DDP tax is included but gratuity isn't so you will need to tip on top.

The gift card can be used at the restaurant or you can charge to your room and pay it with gift card.

Yes you do have to tip at all the sit down restaurants
That's not strictly true. You do not 'have' to tip anywhere in the US. The gratuity is 'suggested' and if you feel the service you received didn't warrant any sort of tip then you can have it removed.

That's not strictly true. You do not 'have' to tip anywhere in the US. The gratuity is 'suggested' and if you feel the service you received didn't warrant any sort of tip then you can have it removed.

Tipping is expected as it is customary in the US - you need a good reason not to tip and really you should be speaking to a manager before it gets to that point.

I never said it wasn't expected. I said you don't have to tip. And to get a tip removed would normally mean speaking to someone higher than your wait staff.
I also wouldn't class tipping as a custom in the true sense.
It's something they do that we have to toe the line with as visitors, but I think it's important for people to know the facts about it, and not go blindly in thinking that they 'have' to do it even if they recieved bad service.

Just be mindful. A $100 gift card will no where near cover two adults' tips on a two week break.
I think I read somewhere that a DDP credit is worth $36 on average, so for two adults you'd be looking at tipping $13-15 per meal (plus tips on any alcohol or extras you have). As a minimum, I'd budget $200-250 for tips over a two week stay. It is expected that you do tip unless there is extremely poor service, which we have never experienced onsite at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter