DDP - Or How to Gain 10lbs in One Week.

Am_I_There_Yet

Tells little white lies about Santa<br><font color
Holy Moly people, bring two sizes of clothes! Or be prepared to push yourself away from the table. Or better yet - learn to say NO!

I gained 10lbs. :sad:

It's waaaaaayyyy too much food!!!! It really needs to be revamped, IMO. Maybe a DDP-lite???

LOL!! i found all the walking and swimming i did kept the pounds at bay... even while maximizing the ddp... which i think is "lite" in that you *only* get two meals per day ;)

gigi1313 said:
LOL!! i found all the walking and swimming i did kept the pounds at bay... even while maximizing the ddp... which i think is "lite" in that you *only* get two meals per day ;)

I figured the walking would counter the extra calories too, but it didn't seem to help me. I've already dropped a few of them though, thank goodness.

We're going in May and I'm a little worried about gaining weight! My plan is to just eat a few bites of everything and not try to eat it all. I typically do not order an appetizer or dessert, so this is going to be a lot more food than I'm used to!

Why is it so easy to gain 10 pounds, but so hard to lose it? :crazy: :teeth:

DisneyArk said:
We're going in May and I'm a little worried about gaining weight! My plan is to just eat a few bites of everything and not try to eat it all. I typically do not order an appetizer or dessert, so this is going to be a lot more food than I'm used to!

Why is it so easy to gain 10 pounds, but so hard to lose it? :crazy: :teeth:

Good question!

The week before I left, I purchased about five new work outfits for a new job that I'm starting today. I put on a pair of slacks this morning and they were too tight.

Not a good thing! :rolleyes:

We just got back and I agree that it's "too much".

We go to DW annually and this last trip was the first time on the dining plan. We ate our usually counter-service meals for lunch (mostly at the noodle area in Tomorrow Land) and then had a big dinner every night inside the parks. Getting appetizers and desserts with every meal was TOO MUCH at times.

That said... I do think it's still a good value. We paid about $100 per day for our family and we spent probably $160 per day on actual meals. Figure in that the appetizers and desserts were a large part of that and that we probably wouldn't have had them if we weren't on the dining plan - it probably worked out about the same as if we had just paid for our meals as we went.

I just loved the convenience and knowing that it was paid for - one of the worst parts of previous trips was getting the credit card statement at the end and seeing all the meal charges. ;)

We used the plan last August and thought there was a lot of food. My mother and I shared quite a few meals and ended up being able to fit breakfast in the next day which we also shared. It worked out great for us.

We just got back as well. There was a lot of food. I know I gained weight. I just want to thank the inventor of elastic!!

That being said, I enjoyed every bite, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

SoonerSean said:
We just got back and I agree that it's "too much".

We go to DW annually and this last trip was the first time on the dining plan. We ate our usually counter-service meals for lunch (mostly at the noodle area in Tomorrow Land) and then had a big dinner every night inside the parks. Getting appetizers and desserts with every meal was TOO MUCH at times.

If anything, I think they can cut the appetizer and dessert off of the counter service credits. It would be okay for dinner, I guess. But both? :confused3

Of course, nobody was force-feeding me. (Before someone posts that, I thought I'd take a preemptive strike)

That said... I do think it's still a good value. We paid about $100 per day for our family and we spent probably $160 per day on actual meals. Figure in that the appetizers and desserts were a large part of that and that we probably wouldn't have had them if we weren't on the dining plan - it probably worked out about the same as if we had just paid for our meals as we went.

Absolutely! Our meal at Le Cellier alone, was almost $200, without my wine! We paid $100 a day for our plan! Lunch was routinely around $45 and my DH is such a camel. I think we used about $10 for water, as snack credits. That's a hefty savings for us!

I just loved the convenience and knowing that it was paid for - one of the worst parts of previous trips was getting the credit card statement at the end and seeing all the meal charges. ;)

Our bill was only $1k. And that included breakfasts that we paid for, two five-day hoppers and my daughter's Illuminations Cruise!

For the first time I was like, "Woohoo!"

LucyM said:
We just got back as well. There was a lot of food. I know I gained weight. I just want to thank the inventor of elastic!!

That being said, I enjoyed every bite, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'll most definitely use the plan again too.

I gained weight because of lack of self-control, not to mention the echoes of my father telling me that there were starving kids in China, from my childhood. It was there - had to eat it. :rotfl2:

Do not worry, I approached the dining plan with I am going to take this opportunity to let others make my healthy food and was fine....

Of course I usually took one or two bites ( ok 3 at Boatwrights, I love pecan pie). Stick to your chickens, salmons (my absolute favorite), and salads and you will be fine. Passed the sides off to dh...he was thrilled.

We loved the plan so much we're using it again this June. This time I will bring ziplock baggies with me for storing snacks we don't eat in the park. Last time that cookie or popcorn never made it back to the room in one place. :rotfl:

I just enjoy knowing that I don't have to think about the check every time we sit down to eat. It truly makes the "relaxing" part of my vacation easier.

We are using it for the first time in December. I think it will be great for my DH as he gets "sticker shock" eating out,esp at theme parks. It will be worth it to eat what we want and not face that large bill at the end. Just like when we went on a cruise, it was the same thing. I knew I would eat well all week and not have him pushing pizza on me as the week went on and he realized how much we had spent! I won't say he is cheap, he is frugal? Cconservative? No I guess he is cheap, no other way to put it!

Allyson, trying to plan ADRs, too many yummy restuarants to choose from!

I have thought of the weight gain several times. Last year we went on the Disney Wonder and I gained 8 pounds on a 4 day cruise. Of course we didnt do the normal non stop walking through the parks for those 4 days but we did walk quite a bit through Nassau. I guess those midnight buffets and 8pm dinner rotation did me in. I guess I will have to eat lots of salmon...I just love salmon. :thumbsup2

MomofCKJ said:
We are using it for the first time in December. I think it will be great for my DH as he gets "sticker shock" eating out,esp at theme parks. It will be worth it to eat what we want and not face that large bill at the end. Just like when we went on a cruise, it was the same thing. I knew I would eat well all week and not have him pushing pizza on me as the week went on and he realized how much we had spent! I won't say he is cheap, he is frugal? Cconservative? No I guess he is cheap, no other way to put it!

Allyson, trying to plan ADRs, too many yummy restuarants to choose from!

Oh, wait. Instead of dreading your bill, you'll find yourself writing down the total from the meals on the receipt that they give you, and being thrilled to do so! (For some strange reason, guest receipts are "$0.00")

I'm going to go upstairs and add a few elastic waisted, "big for me now" clothes to my suitcase! Thanks for the warnings everyone! I'll just walk like a crazed woman and hope pixie dust works on fat cells! :) I figure that I can order what I want without worry of the cost and that might encourage a salad to start which will mean less of the more unhealthy food later in the meal. We'll see how that goes...

Secondgradememories said:
I'm going to go upstairs and add a few elastic waisted, "big for me now" clothes to my suitcase! Thanks for the warnings everyone! I'll just walk like a crazed woman and hope pixie dust works on fat cells! :) I figure that I can order what I want without worry of the cost and that might encourage a salad to start which will mean less of the more unhealthy food later in the meal. We'll see how that goes...

I did order salads when possible. There are some choices available, although they're very limited.

If it makes anyone feel better - I got on the scale this morning, and I've lost all but two of the pounds. My daughter and husband have also lost the weight that they gained. I weighed myself when we returned Saturday night and I weighed myself again this morning.

I didn't like what happened to me, but like I told DD while we were still there (get this for justification:) unless we continue eating like this when we get home, there's no way that weight can stick. I thought I was just blowing smoke, but apparently I was correct... thank goodness. :teeth:

I'll get the DDP again with no worries. I'll just bring some comfortable clothes with me, to prepare for it! :)

miller2470 said:
I have thought of the weight gain several times. Last year we went on the Disney Wonder and I gained 8 pounds on a 4 day cruise. Of course we didnt do the normal non stop walking through the parks for those 4 days but we did walk quite a bit through Nassau. I guess those midnight buffets and 8pm dinner rotation did me in. I guess I will have to eat lots of salmon...I just love salmon. :thumbsup2

There is a ton of fish on the menus. My DD loves salmon and stuffed herself silly with it!

I guess it helps to have a 5 yr old and an 18 month old to chase around while at the parks!! I had the meal plan, I ate as much of everything as I could hold (yummy!) and I came back having lost 3 pounds!! (that didn't stop me from gaining weight at christmas time tho!! :rotfl: )

I'm looking forward to making this year's ressies in May!!

tara

Am_I_There_Yet said:
I did order salads when possible. There are some choices available, although they're very limited.

I didn't like what happened to me, but like I told DD while we were still there (get this for justification:) unless we continue eating like this when we get home, there's no way that weight can stick. I thought I was just blowing smoke, but apparently I was correct... thank goodness. :teeth:

I'll get the DDP again with no worries. I'll just bring some comfortable clothes with me, to prepare for it! :)

Funny how we seem to justify things like this...I am sooooo guilty and sure that I will do the same thing!! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter