DDP vs DDE?

I've never crunched the numbers. On a purely qualitative basis, I opted for the DDE card because that discount also applies to alchohol, and some of the people I travel to Walt Disney World with are big drinkers.

I've always compared our bills since the DDP became available to DVC Members. It depends entirely upon your dining habits. We usually have a table service lunch, and rarely order desserts. We have a counter service dinner, and have a light breakfast in our room.

Some days we spend more, some days less than the DDP...but over the course of the trip always save at least $150 (including tax & tip) using DDE and not DDP.

For a short trip, DDP would probably be the better value.

It also depends upon if you have children (9 and under) in your party. We are all adults, but kids may make the DDP a better deal.

I crunched the numbers on our first DDP trip. DDP beat DDE for us. It broke down that our QS and snacks were "free" on DDP.

We hardly maximized DDP either. Most of our QS were used for breakfast and as I recall 60% of our TS were used at lunch on that trip.

We do have DDE and use that for signature meals, alcohol, B&C, etc..

We're all adults too. I agree with Chuck that it depends on your habits. For instance to use DDE for QS, you must venture to one of the value resorts, AK or POFQ. Too much hassle for us.

can someone plaes explain what these are and the differences? Also what are QS?
Thanks, Helene

I've always compared our bills since the DDP became available to DVC Members. It depends entirely upon your dining habits. We usually have a table service lunch, and rarely order desserts. We have a counter service dinner, and have a light breakfast in our room.

We compared also (twice). The DDE is always the better deal for us. We seem to have similiar dinning habits to Chuck S, except we're 3 adults, 2 children (although 1 child is now 11) We typically eat breakfast at "home", TS for lunch, and CS for dinner. We like our park snacks and have late evening snacks at home. We typically do not order appetizers. If we order dessert at a TS, then we usually just eat an appetizer as a meal. We seem to graze mostly than eat BIG meals.

My DH is a big eater and I'd say I'm sometimes average and sometimes light, DM is light. DSs are good "child size" eaters. We typically spend $100 per day on meals including tips with DDE. The DDP would be $105 FOR JUST 3 ADULTS!!!! Add in that DS11 would be $35 per day plus 1 child's price. Also add in that you pay for arrival and departure day DDP meals. We come out WAY ahead with DDE.

When I went to WDW last Oct, I compared, side by side, the two plans. The DDP came out about $50 more than just using the DDE card. Since I was traveling with another mom and her dd, I decided to go with DDP, just for the sake of convenience!! That way, she could pay for her and her dd, and I could pay for myself and my dd..none of that haggling at the end of the trip.
My family (myself, dh, and 13 y/o dd) are traveling to WDW in Aug. Again, I compared costs, side by side. I figured what it would cost using the DDE card...eating breakfast in our room, having lunch in the room and having a nice table service meal for dinner. When I added the cost of having food delivered using Garden Grocer, it came out to about $495 using the DDE card. With DDP it's $570, but that includes lunch in the parks, and those all important snacks. If I add the cost of snacks each day, for three of us, that brings my total to $555 using the DDE card...only a difference of $15. I would rather pack my cereal for in room breakfast, and do the DDP and get a nice lunch late morning and a nice ts meal for dinner. But that can change with each trip..depends on who is going, and how long we're there for. It is going to be different for each family I would imagine.

For me DDP may have been "cheaper", but it was a huge waste of food. Our frig was FULL of leftovers when we left. (I don't need or want that much food and the theory that "walking" in the park burns off all those calories is not really true. I have read several posters on other boards who gained five pounds on thier Disney trip LOL!)

Another consideration is when you will go. There is a very strong rumor that the DDP will NOT include the tip in 2008. So if you order the "appetizer, main dish, drink and desert" and the meal value is $50 you will then need to leave around a $8 tip (assuming close to 15% tip rate) That's going to bump up the cost of the DDP to something more in the high $40 to $50 range depending on where you eat.

can someone plaes explain what these are and the differences? Also what are QS?
Thanks, Helene
DDP is the Disney Dining Plan, which is part of a package which usually includes an onsite Disney resort room at rack rate, a minimum one-day base ticket purchase, and the DDP for $38.99 per night per adult and $10.99 per child. All persons in the room must purchase DDP for all nights of the reservation, whether or not they will actually be there. If you are staying at a DVC resort on points, you do not have to purchase park tickets to qualify for DDP

DDP provides one table service meal, one quick service (QS - AKA: counter service or CS) meal, and one snack for each person. The table service meal includes an appetiser (or soup, or salad), the entree, a non-alcoholic drink, and dessert. There are very few exclusions or limitations on what you can order. DDP also includes all taxes, plus an 18% gratuity on the TS meal.

The price for DDP for 2008 is not yet known, but there are strong rumors that the 18% gratuity will no longer be included.

There is an entire DIS board devoted to the DDP. Here's a link to the thread that has all of the basics of the plan. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1479952

DDE is the Disney Dining Experience card. You have to be either a Florida resident or an Annual Passholder to be eligible to purchase the DDP card. I think the prices are $60 for an AP holder and $75 for a Florida resident, but I haven't bought a DDE in several years, so I could well be mistaken. The DDE gives you 20% off all food and beverage at most Disney table service restaurants, and it's good for 13 months after purchase. No other discount plan gives you a discount on alcohol.

For me DDP may have been "cheaper", but it was a huge waste of food. Our frig was FULL of leftovers when we left. (I don't need or want that much food and the theory that "walking" in the park burns off all those calories is not really true. I have read several posters on other boards who gained five pounds on thier Disney trip LOL!)

Another consideration is when you will go. There is a very strong rumor that the DDP will NOT include the tip in 2008. So if you order the "appetizer, main dish, drink and desert" and the meal value is $50 you will then need to leave around a $8 tip (assuming close to 15% tip rate) That's going to bump up the cost of the DDP to something more in the high $40 to $50 range depending on where you eat.

I imagine some people gain at WDW whether on DDP or not. We've done the current DDP three times. I lost weight once and stayed the same the other two. The only leftovers we take back are desserts and rarely do that. If we don't want a course or don't feel like finishing something, that's fine too.

If the tip is removed, I suspect the DDP would still be a bit better of a deal for our family. But we don't like QS meals very much so DDE will be the winner for us most likely.

nuzmom, in your calculations did you include the cost of those counter service meals and snacks? If you can feed 5 people two Disney meals/day with Disney snacks added on for $100...:worship:

It sure is a fair amount of food!! We tend to eat pretty much the same way either way. The only thing that is different is that dh may get an appetizer while I might not. Now, with the DDP, we both get one, but I sometimes will leave a bit on my plate. I also don't eat nearly as much bread when on the DDP.
But, if your family tends to eat more lightly, then it may not be a good buy. But, then again, we eat a very light breakfast in our villa with CS for lunch around 11:30 and then TS for dinner at about 6:00. And we don't snack a whole lot....we tend to get that snack later in the evening, or if we have a late dinner ADR, we'll snack around 3ish...gotta love my DoleWhip or sweetcream filled pretzel!!!

I much prefer a set discount on what I want to eat, rather than feeling I have to eat a lot to maximize my investment.

Needless to say, we're big fans of DDE. This past Memorial Day weekend, DH's parents and neice and nephew joined us and we had dinners at Cali Grill and Boma...the discount more than paid for the card, and we will use it on 3 other trips, including 11 days at F&W.

Also, I like a glass of wine with dinner, and that's easier knowing it's 20% off.

I think the waitstaff likes waiting on us DDE'ers, I bet most of us tip pretty close to the 20% that is our discount.

I much prefer a set discount on what I want to eat, rather than feeling I have to eat a lot to maximize my investment.

Needless to say, we're big fans of DDE. This past Memorial Day weekend, DH's parents and neice and nephew joined us and we had dinners at Cali Grill and Boma...the discount more than paid for the card, and we will use it on 3 other trips, including 11 days at F&W.

Also, I like a glass of wine with dinner, and that's easier knowing it's 20% off.

I think the waitstaff likes waiting on us DDE'ers, I bet most of us tip pretty close to the 20% that is our discount.
The other part of the gratuity rumor is that all DDE checks will carry an automatic 18% tip after 1/1/08. That's not a biggie for us, because when we use DDE we usually just add back the discount as a tip like you do. But some won't like being told what to tip, I'm sure.

If the tip is removed for DDP, that would tip the scales for our family and we'll eat mostly offsite and use DDE for our occasional Disney dining.

Also, the autotip for larger parties will drop from parties of eight to parties of six, apparently.

nuzmom, in your calculations did you include the cost of those counter service meals and snacks? If you can feed 5 people two Disney meals/day with Disney snacks added on for $100...:worship:

For instance:
Liberty Tree Tavern - late lunch
Adult 1 - Pilgrims Feast ($13.79), ice tea ($2.19)
Adult 2 - Tri Corner Sandwich ($10.70), water
Adult 3 - Pot Roast ($13.79), coffee ($2.19)
Child 1 - Mac and Cheese ($4.99)
Child 2 - Corndog Nugg ($4.99)

1 Pound Cake for dessert ($4.29)

Subtotal: $57.02
Discount: $11.40
Total after discount - $48.59
leave $10.00 tip (which is a pretty fair tip) = $58.59

Pinocchio Haus -
3 Italian Subs w/ chips ($21.27)
2 kids mac & cheese ($7.98)
22 oz coke ($2.09)
Total with tax - $33.38

Total meals - $91.97
that includes 1 dessert at liberty tree and a little left for a couple snacks
I think this is a pretty good example of eating fairly good food and coming in at $100.

Granted that is with breakfast at the room (which we do every day except for 1 Donald's Breakfastosaurus. On that day, we eat dinner after AK closes at the Steak n Shake). We eat breakfast at "home" to save time and to give us a break from the crowds at WDW. Maybe this should be on the "weird and cheap" thread, but that's an example of our meals.

There is a convenience with DDP, but for our family DDE works pretty well. We also tend to have fairly long stays. I think that makes a difference, too. We also don't mind just getting some evening snacks in the park and then hitting McDonald's on our way back "home".

My suggestion would be to take a look at a typical day for your family. Look at the menus and do an estimate of what you'd order. If you take a look at a day or two, you'd probably feel pretty comfortable with whichever decision you make. Then again - I tend to be a "planner".

Some days we spend more, some days less than the DDP...but over the course of the trip always save at least $150 (including tax & tip) using DDE and not DDP.

For a short trip, DDP would probably be the better value.

It also depends upon if you have children (9 and under) in your party. We are all adults, but kids may make the DDP a better deal.

For us it was close, but DDP "wins" (assuming the inclusion of the "extra" $$ for one AP and the cost of the card, itself) by a relatively small margin (about $100 or so over 6 night stay)...basically the 18% tip "tips" the scale for us.

We were waffling between one scenario or the other for quite awhile (but leaning toward DDE), and we're still waffling. With the rumored DDP changes, much will depend on what the '08 plan brings before we make a decision. If they really do eliminate the tips, we'll DEFINITELY do DDE. If not, I'll likely sit down ONE more time with the final numbers and we'll see which will save us more $$, most easily.

The other part of the gratuity rumor is that all DDE checks will carry an automatic 18% tip after 1/1/08. That's not a biggie for us, because when we use DDE we usually just add back the discount as a tip like you do. But some won't like being told what to tip, I'm sure.

I understand folks not liking the automatic tip...but, like most of the DDE people, I simply tip the "discount"...so at 18% it may actually save a buck here and there.

Hopefully they'll still include some Counter Service options for AK and the values, and a "tip" won't be added for those self-service meals.

For us it was close, but DDP "wins" (assuming the inclusion of the "extra" $$ for one AP and the cost of the card, itself) by a relatively small margin (about $100 or so over 6 night stay)...basically the 18% tip "tips" the scale for us.

We were waffling between one scenario or the other for quite awhile (but leaning toward DDE), and we're still waffling. With the rumored DDP changes, much will depend on what the '08 plan brings before we make a decision. If they really do eliminate the tips, we'll DEFINITELY do DDE. If not, I'll likely sit down ONE more time with the final numbers and we'll see which will save us more $$, most easily.

I agree with you. An AP should never be purchased based simply on discounts that are available...APs should be purchased because you'll use enough park days to give "value" to the AP itself. We usually have anywhere from 16 to 21 park days per year. The AP is the best ticket option for us...the DDE is an added plus.

We're very similar.

My DH and I have had the DDE card for several years now ever since they first opened it to AP holders. I don't eat as much as he does- I certainly don't need appetizer, meal AND dessert. Most times I don't even finish just the meal. DH likes wine with his dinners, too.

We tend to eat TS every night at restaurants that would require two TS credits. We love California Grill, Brown Derby, Jiko's, Yachtsmen steakhouse, Coral reef, Artist Point, etc. This wouldn't be practial with the DDP. We pay for the card easily in just a couple meals.

I also use the 20% discount as my guideline for what to tip. The math is so much easier that way! :)

Also, we eat breakfast in the villa and we rarely eat counter service anywhere. Tusker House was the exception but now that is being changed to a buffet. Neither DH or I are big on eating snacks in the park, either.

I know I could just look it up, but does anyone know if DDE covers signature restaurants and dinners shows? I know I've used it for Character dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter