DDP vs NonDDP "value" experiment

NEM

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

I thought I would share our recent experience with the current "value" of the DDP. 2A 2C - We are long time DVC members and have used the Regular DDP since its inception back when it was close to $30/day for the and included apps & dessert & tips but no mug. We continued to use it through the years as the entitlements were reduced and the price increased. We tried one trip with Counter Service only recently, but missed some of our favorite sit down's and paid out of pocket for them while there, which in the end "added" to our overall dining cost.

Over the years we kept using DDP for "convenience" of prepay and in the early years there was truly "value" in the plan. However, by the end we recognized it was forcing us to to not eat what we wanted or where we wanted. We spent too much time worrying about if it was a good value or if we should pay out of pocket (adding to the overall dining cost). Apps were taken away, tips were no longer included, food quality (CS desserts) went downhill, etc. through the years.. and yet every year, price goes up.

So our latest trip we decided to finally forego the DDP and just do out of pocket. However we made a plan to track of every food, beverage & snack purchase (including tips) for the entire 10 day trip and then would compare it to what the DDP would have cost us. We agreed we would order what we "wanted" whether most expensive or cheapest on the menu.

We had a lovely trip where we all ate what and when we wanted mix of deluxe, TS & CS meals and at least 1 snack a day (with no thought to if it was a good "value") and many days more, we drank what we wanted (including alcohol, specialty cocktails & wine), ordered apps which we prefer over dessert and TS desserts when we wanted and shared which would be more in line with our normal dining approach. Did not over eat because it was "free" (aka included in the plan) We did not order the mediocre Counter service desserts or get "sodas, bottled water or other packaged drinks" when we normally drink water most of the time with an occasional indulgence of a diet coke. We carried our own water bottles which we happily refilled and had no trouble keeping them full of ice and water and bought a case of water, box of cereal and milk for kids for breakfast on the way to the hotel which we included in our tally. And of course pool cocktails! Some days we ate more. Some days we had leftovers in our DVC fridge for dinner because we were tired that night or we "snacked" around World showcase sharing bites from all the countries amongst the family...it was honestly like we felt finally "free" of DDP. Even once we had ice cream for dinner...kids loved it.

In the end and religious logging on my iPhone every drink, meal, snack, cocktail, we found over a 10 night stay and using Tables in Wonderland (cost included in our tally) where possible, our total spent was roughly $80 more than the DDP regular plan would cost us, but the difference was that we had what we wanted, tips were included, we had cocktails and wine with dinner and even bought 2 bottles of wine for our room in the hotel shop.

We easily would have spent another $80 had we been on DDP in tips and alcohol.

The alternative had we bought DDP, we would have ended up with a bunch of food/drinks we would not have eaten anyway or overeaten free desserts and still paid tips, alcohol & appetizers on TOP of the DDP cost...and then would have ultimately paid much more overall.

$DDP cost + $tips + $alcohol + $OOP snacks = total dining cost

So we are done with the DDP in our family. At this stage, it is just not a "value" to our family and preferred way to dine. It was so freeing to not be rushing every single day to a sit down meal and paying more (tips/alcohol) on top. Tables in Wonderland did offer some savings but we included the TIW membership in our total and we will get a 2nd 10 day trip out of it in the same year so that is awesome!

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting experiment and ultimately was a bit surprised by the result.

My new non-scientific analysis is if you ONLY eat/drink what is included in your plan it may be value. It is definitely plenty of food in the plan (All types) It was more food/drink than we needed, and not the food we wanted, with the "but its included" refrain in our head when grabbing drinks/desserts we would not have bought anyway followed by the "what is the best value?" when looking at a menu. It is only "value" if you would have bought it anyway.

If you supplement the plan with appetizers & alcohol and other cash snacks it is probably not a "value".

Anyway, just thought I'd share my unsolicited unscientific opinion. Happy Disney Day to all whatever you do!

Just to add my $0.02 - I think also the longer your trip goes on, the less likely the DDP is going to be a value. I think many people get kind of "food fatigued" eating out so much (I know at least for me it is a treat at home and so many meals out gets tiring after a while). It is easier to "work the plan" without feeling like you are "working it" for a few days... but after that it becomes a lot more work.

DVC member here too for 17 years and I don't think I have EVER used the DDP. Doing a split stay in december (fingers crossed for Poly for first, still good availability!) and I am front-loading the good-value DDP stuff doing DxDDP. It is a better value if you use all of your meal credits for TS credits, which is possible with early arrival and having the entire "departure" day with a split stay to use meals and a few 2TS meals, plus a plan for the use of all of those snacks (my plan is to switch to BWV and use remaining snacks to purchase items at the Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast for the next couple of days). with my 1:1 ratio kid to adults I will save about $150 doing a lot of my favorites that I wanted to do anyway. Second half of trip I will do my bad-value on DDP restaurants - hoop dee doo revue tier 1 at 6:15, candlelight processional package with garden grill breakfast, sci fi dine in and maybe one other TS. BUT I travel to wdw infrequently nowadays (more than 2 years between trips) and never more than 7 days. Also with just one adult and one kid, TIW would have a longer break-even point. But yeah when I looked at doing the regular DDP it was a big savings due to many character meals but also compromise on most things not a character meal.

We stopped doing it years ago, it wasn't even about money or convenience for us, it just got to be way too much food and we didn't like feeling like we had to either eat a TS every day or find a signature to use 2 credits for. We don't eat snacks, I don't drink anything but water when I eat, I do enjoy a refreshing adult beverage, I don't eat desserts that often but prefer appetizers. There are days when we just snack around the world all day instead of eating a real meal or I like to get an appy and a salad instead of an entre. When my son was little we didn't do many of the character meals (but to be fair back then the characters just kind of roamed the parks) and I don't do buffets.

For our 2016 trip, I had priced out our package with and without the dining plan. There were discounts for "room only" and "packages" during this time, which I looked into. I was going to do a "room only" discount at a Moderate (preferred room) and pay out of pocket for us: 2 adults, 14yo, and 10yo. We had 5 table service meals we wanted to do and were going to do the rest as CS meals. Not getting mugs and doing snacks as needed. I used the menu's online to price what we would eat with as close to a guess as I could and got a total for the "room only" route. I then priced a "package" which included the regular dining plan (stay, play, and dine promo). What I found out was compared to the "room only" amount, we were almost identical in price. We ended up booking the "stay, play, and dine" promo so we were on the dining plan in the end.

I agree that you need to work the numbers and see what is best for your family based upon what costs add up to be. I was ready to just pay OOP, but when the numbers were crunched, it was enlightening.

Great post.

I am a DVC member and we get 1 bedroom and we never get the DDP. It would be $252 a day for 4 adults. We eat breakfast In room, and do TS at lunch...much cheaper and CS at dinner in the countries. I don't eat much anymore and hate the new reservation rules so I refuse to make reservations... Plus DVC gives discounts at some of my favorite restaurants..so oop it is for us.

Our food budget is always out the cost of the dining plan per day, but we have always come in well under that budget. Not including the tip and rarely hitting character meals makes it almost impossible for it to be a value for us. (And we don't need that many meals anyway)

Good report!

We used the DDP for the first time this week (arrived Tues and left today).

For us, we saved roughly $40-45/pp (2 adults) and 1 adult didn't use all his credits as he decided to skip out on eating the last day of the trip so we 'left' $ on the table with him (Boo Grandpa!)

So for us, we got to order what we wanted and we didn't feel we compromised on anything. We ate really good meals and with the exception of Grandpa, we used all our credits and didn't have to 'burn' any buying last min snacks etc. I would've with Grandpa's 1 last credit if I knew he hadn't used them. It was his first time to WDW so my bad for not checking on his.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter