DD's HS Graduation Present- Update!

My parents gave me a Lane cedar chest. Inside on the lid there is a plaque with my graduation date and I think it says "with love from Mom and Dad." I still have it, I keep sweaters in it. I checked on the Lane site and they still make the exact chest they gave me, it's this one:

http://www.lanefurniture.com/Furnit...Chests/i234100-Bountiful-III-Cedar-Chest.aspx

Of course you would have to keep it for her while she's in college if she is is a dorm room!

When my ds graduated I made him a scrapbook. I used a few pictures that were school related from each year.

I make t-shirt blankets!

Export0015.jpg

That is so cool! I wonder if I can make one? We have tons of concert tee shirts, and my husband is always bring more home. Most of the time half of them get thrown into the bag of clothing being sent off for donating somewhere.

DISshopkeeper, do you use a machine to sew those quilts, or do you hand sew them?

What does she like and start from there.

She isn't into jewelry but you want to give her something lasting. Can you start her a 401k or an IRA? Some stocks? A really nice handbag or laptop case? If she didn't like the jewelry you picked, is there something she might like that is still jewelry, like maybe stud earrings? Is there a family heirloom that can be passed down that might not be what she likes now but maybe when she's thirty?

I like the t-shirt quilt idea but is there room for it at college?

Do any young people ever wear watches anymore? A nice watch would be a nice gift if she does.

I used "Oh the Places You Will Go". I sent an email to DS favorite teachers in grade school and high school and asked them to respond with a short note to DS. So many of them did respond and it was very nice of them to take the time! I then printed the emails and pasted them into the book. Some even asked for a specific page! I didn't expect a great response as they have so much to do at the end of the year. I did send out my request long before grades were due! Anyway it was really a nice memory book for him.

I also had been keeping all his show/band/choir programs in a binder over the 4 years. I gave it to him complete with the graduation program. For anyone just beginning high school - get a big binder and the page protectors. When you come home from a game/ event/ show just place the program right in a page protector and into the binder. The better you are at doing it right away the less overwhelming it will be at graduation!

We also went to Disney - of course! He brought a friend.

My parents gave me a Lane cedar chest. Inside on the lid there is a plaque with my graduation date and I think it says "with love from Mom and Dad." I still have it, I keep sweaters in it. I checked on the Lane site and they still make the exact chest they gave me, it's this one:

http://www.lanefurniture.com/Furnit...Chests/i234100-Bountiful-III-Cedar-Chest.aspx

Of course you would have to keep it for her while she's in college if she is is a dorm room!

That is gorgeous! And it's exactly what I wanted when I was in high school. I didn't get one, but I asked for a hope chest. There is a store about 20 miles from here that carries it. I may go check it out. I'm going to do the tshirt quilt, but I might be able to swing for both. The best part is, I could do the exact same presents for my other DD next year when she graduates high school!

ETA: The more I think about it, the more I love the hope chest. I found it for $549 with no shipping or tax. I could have it delivered to my dad's house and he could keep it until May. I may go ahead and order it and hold off on the tshirt blanket, even though I bought 3 shirts already, lol. I just love this so.

I received a set of nice luggage. I still have it 25 years later and think of my graduation everytime I pack! :confused3

Well . . . of course my suggestion would be to take her on a Disney trip :) That is if she like Disney. If not, somewhere where she likes. Give her a special pendant or ring while there.

:lovestruc I took DD to WDW for her graduation. Course, that's what she said she wanted :rotfl:
Somehow, I was totally ok with it:woohoo:

Here in the midwest the two classics are either a Lane Cedar Chest or diamond earrings/pearls. (I got the pearl necklace for HS and the Cedar Chest for my Bachelors).

Nowadays it's mostly laptops or Cedar Chests. (lets' face it how many times do we really wear pearls anymore)

I vote for Cedar Chest:rotfl: Well obviously I should have read the thread. See you are heading that way.

http://www.lanefurniture.com/Furnit...Chests/i234106-Kensington-II-Cedar-Chest.aspx

Mine is similar to this only light wood.

Exactly what I was going to suggest!

I would pay for her and a friend to go to WDW by themselves, but she told me when I was planning my solo trip (before it became a solo trip and was a family trip), that she was Disney'd out. This, of course, is something I cannot fathom. :lmao: We have been quite a few times so she would not get lost. Heck, WDW makes it so easy to get around.

We bought her and DD luggage from Kohls in 2006 when we went to Disneyland.

She got a Coach purse for her 18th birthday. She won't wear a watch. But I don't either, and I have about 4 or 5 Disney watches.
(I'm just trying to respond to everyone's suggestions).

Thank you all! I think I'm going for the hope chest, and I might wait on the quilt until closer to graduation.

Nowadays it's mostly laptops or Cedar Chests. (lets' face it how many times do we really wear pearls anymore)

I vote for Cedar Chest:rotfl: Well obviously I should have read the thread. See you are heading that way.

http://www.lanefurniture.com/Furnit...Chests/i234106-Kensington-II-Cedar-Chest.aspx

Mine is similar to this only light wood.

A Ceder chest is so perfect. She can use it her entire life. She can put wedding things and baby clothes in there one day. Oh gosh, I'm gonna start crying if I think about all the things that could go in there. :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter