Deaf boy, 3, hears father's voice for the first time

Absolutely touching, what an amazing sight. Thanks for sharing!

I have a little tip for you, I hope this doesn't offend you. When talking about people with disabilities, always use people first language, like I just did. The disability does not defy who they are, so instead of saying "deaf boy" say " a boy who is deaf". As a special education major I am a stickler on this!

I have a little tip for you, I hope this doesn't offend you. When talking about people with disabilities, always use people first language, like I just did. The disability does not defy who they are, so instead of saying "deaf boy" say " a boy who is deaf". As a special education major I am a stickler on this!

I just used the title of the article:)

DisDance said:

A lot people with conditions that define them have a problem with "people first" language. Just sayin'.

A lot people with conditions that define them have a problem with "people first" language. Just sayin'.

To each his own I guess. That is just how I have been taught, and will continue to talk like that unless someone with a disability tells me they are bothered by person first language

That's what I was thinking. It's a shame a published article could not get it right. It shows how uneducated people are about people with disabilities!

The article also mentions that the father was signing with the child, when in fact it looked to me like they were using cued speech. There's a big difference between the two.

The article also mentions that the father was signing with the child, when in fact it looked to me like they were using cued speech. There's a big difference between the two.

Good eye mickeysnewestfan. I have to ask, how are you familiar with cued speech?

Good eye mickeysnewestfan. I have to ask, how are you familiar with cued speech?

I'm a special ed teacher, I haven't taught a child who used cued speech, but I make it my business to know about different approaches to students with disabilities, and I've known a few kids whose families use cued speech in the community.

I'm a special ed teacher, I haven't taught a child who used cued speech, but I make it my business to know about different approaches to students with disabilities, and I've known a few kids whose families use cued speech in the community.

Oh that is so awesome! I love hearing stuff like this. I cant wait to get out in the field

I saw the Cued Speech. He would have been able to point to the puppy before the implant was turned on.

Other than that, it's a cute video.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter