• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dealing with crowds at Castaway Cay.

darnheather

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this question does come up and I did do a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. On my upcoming cruises I'll be on the larger ships for the first time. One at least one I do want to do the 5k but I've heard that doesn't get you to the beach early any longer. So how do I deal with the larger crowds out at the beach and better yet how do I prepare my daughter for them?

Do you mean you are worried about not getting beach chairs?

I've been on the Dream 3 times and have never had an issue finding chairs on the beach.

While it is more crowded then if you were sailing the Magic or Wonder, I don't think its a crowd level that you need to prepare for.

It's not swarms of people. CC is a decent size island. The only time you might feel the amt of people is if you go to get lunch at prime time. We usually have a snack and go to lunch a little later.

Do you mean you are worried about not getting beach chairs?

I've been on the Dream 3 times and have never had an issue finding chairs on the beach.

While it is more crowded then if you were sailing the Magic or Wonder, I don't think its a crowd level that you need to prepare for.

It's not swarms of people. CC is a decent size island. The only time you might feel the amt of people is if you go to get lunch at prime time. We usually have a snack and go to lunch a little later.

I agree with all this. We always sail the Fantasy and make no effort to get off early at CC. We always find chairs on the family beach. They are never the chairs closest to the water, but we don’t mind being a few rows back; it means we’re that much closer to the bathrooms and Cookies.

And we’ve never even found the line at Cookies to be that bad, either.

The beaches are not that crowded. You will always be able to find chairs and a spot. You may not get a hammock but there is plenty of space. :3dglasses

The "crowd" is so spread out that I have never experienced the volume of people impacting my experience. I don't think you need to worry. :beach:

It is true that the runners get off with everybody else now; however, that is not a problem. I have run the 5K, gone back to the ship to change, and then come off with my family and never had a problem getting chairs/loungers/umbrellas. You just might have to go a bit further down the beach. Hammocks, on the other hand, were long gone.

Yeah, never noticed crowds. Much less crowded than any beach resort I've ever stayed at.

DH works a school schedule so our opportunities to cruise are peak times; still, never had a problem finding a spot. You'll be fine.

That's too bad...you're not staying at the right beach resorts. The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island is one I can recommend that is far, far less crowded and chaotic than Castaway Cay.
Well we are but limited to kid friendly spots for several more years, so that’s my reference point for comparing to CC.

We’ve been to CC twice, once on the Magic on New Year’s Day (so I think the ship was pretty full) and once on the Dream in April. I really didn’t notice a difference in crowds. We got off the ship around 9-9:30 both times and had no problem finding loungers. We weren’t trying to get them right at the edge of the water though, we like being towards the back where it’s a little quieter. Both visits we walked right up to Cookies and didn’t have to wait. The water maybe seemed a little more busy with people on the Dream cruise, that’s the only difference I noticed. I wouldn’t worry about it!

There are enough chairs for everyone at CC who wants to get off the ship - it's nothing like finding a chair at the pool.

One of my DD's and my DH did the 5K on our last trip, so my other DD and I just claimed a spot on the beach. But there was still plenty of availability when the runners finished. A lot of people do get off the ship right away, but a lot of them take a more leisurely approach and get off later in the morning.

As far as hammocks … I think you have to be the first one of the ship and you have to sprint directly to the beach to get one of those (no stopping for pictures, etc.). The only time my kids have found hammocks have been near the end of the day - like after 2:00pm or so when an early bird vacated their spot.

Descending vote here. We were on a spring break Fantasy SWDAS a few years ago. We got off around 11am and I found the very last unclaimed chair on the entire family beach in the sun next to the cabanas. There were plenty of empty chairs, but all had towels on them. Some also had the water chairs piled up in front of their beach chair with a shoe or something on them. After lunch, around 1:30 there was much more availability, though.

Descending vote here. We were on a spring break Fantasy SWDAS a few years ago. We got off around 11am and I found the very last unclaimed chair on the entire family beach in the sun next to the cabanas. There were plenty of empty chairs, but all had towels on them. Some also had the water chairs piled up in front of their beach chair with a shoe or something on them. After lunch, around 1:30 there was much more availability, though.

Yeah, but 11:00am is much different than 10:00am in terms of the amount of people that will be off the ship. Our upcoming cruise lists all ashore at 8:30am with the 5K starting at 8:50am. Even walkers should be done by 10:00am, so the OP should have no problem getting a spot.

Yes, plenty of loungers available towards the back. The picture is a great example of this. You can’t see where you get into the water though and with kids- I am sure you would want a chair where you can actually see them in the water. I would suggest being one of the first off to get a lounger where you can see your kids in the water rather than in the back. Everyone pulls up chairs in the water too so if you want to do that, get off early!

Yes, plenty of loungers available towards the back. The picture is a great example of this. You can’t see where you get into the water though and with kids- I am sure you would want a chair where you can actually see them in the water.

That is a good point and one I hadn’t thought of since it doesn’t apply to my situation. I am always with DD when she’s in the water (even though she’s 12!) and she would never want to go in by herself. But I think there were still loungers available where you could see the water.

There are 2 big beaches there, not including the adult one. You will have no problem finding a chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter