DEBATE: Ahhhhh!!!! My Eyes!! My Eyes!!!

The whole thing looks like a bad parody of the All Stars (I actually like the design of the the Movie one especially).

From the title, I wasn't sure if this was a Pop Century or Dinorama thread! :D :D :D

Not only do we have to look at these phrases, it's the lakeside view!

There simply are not words...
:confused: :( :rolleyes: :confused: :( :rolleyes:

WOW!! What a "THEME"!!!! And that's what DInsey is all about, isn't it? THEME - STORY - SHOW!!

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

The Sad part is that I can see some really nice work hidden amongst the tackiness.

Originally posted by YoHo
The Sad part is that I can see some really nice work hidden amongst the tackiness.
I agree, if they had only backed off just a little, this was a concept that could have worked. Where did Disney get the idea that anything oversized is good?

My wife and I will be returning to CBR (hopefully in the Jamaica section) in about 6 weeks. We found our first stay there (1 and 1/2 years ago) to be very magical. I hope the view of this new "resort" will not ruin the magical atmosphere there. It would be a pity if something so contrived was allowed to ruin something so nice.

Cute? Spago, please see an optometrist at the soonest opportunity. Your comment leads me to beleive that you are unable to see the amazing clash of colors found in this resort.

Cute? Spago, please see an optometrist at the soonest opportunity. Your comment leads me to believe that you are unable to see the amazing clash of colors found in this resort.
WDWHound!! I think you might be too hard on our friend Spago. I too think it’s cute too. And I also agree with that bad motor scooter rider, YoHo, that some good things may be there. But the real question is: IS IT DISNEY??

Is this the type of thing you’d expect from the company that brought us Adventureland, Pirates, The Polynesian Resort, The American Adventure, and so on and so forth?

I don’t think so!! It’s more suited to the garish and tacky buildings you might find in an upscale shopping mall hawking a kids game room!! Is that really what Disney is all about? Giant bowling pins!!??? What in the hell happened to THEME??

And yes!! I can still feel the pixie dust flowing in the old veins!! Too bad the feeling stops at 10:00, instead of midnight!!! ;)

My appologies to Spago and to anyone else who may have found my comments offensive. My comments were intended to be more humorous than anything else. I didn't intend them to come of as harsh as they apparently did.

well in either case, i think that the picture looks a lot better than the art i've seen before, and what i'd been led to expect. certainly it's not their best work, but i don't think it's a bust.

i really like the bowling pins though. :)

I agree, the bowling pins are cool. I also like the stonework in the lower right hand corner of the photo. It's the 60's buildings (the ones with the Funnky Chicken sign) that I don't like. They just seem way to loud for a Disney resort.

Originally posted by WDWHound
It's the 60's buildings (the ones with the Funnky Chicken sign) that I don't like.

Maybe it's just the 60's in general that you don't like---it was an ugly decade.

Paul;)

Pop Century seems simply a fun place to stay. This is obviously NOT a deluxe or romantic resort but for some people value resorts
are one of the only ways they can take yearly (or many a year) trips to WDW. If you have children, if you are trapped in a century
that you just can't seem to want to leave (I have a friend who bought a Delorean a couple years ago and I can guarantee he would make ressies in the 80's building!) then I don't see it being a problem. Yes, some of these signs are gaudy but it's all in fun, I personally like that "big bike" and I'm hoping to see a huge "sit 'n' spin soon :crazy:

As my mom says, "that's why there is vanilla and chocolate". Different people like different things.

Originally posted by WDWHound
Where did Disney get the idea that anything oversized is good?

Thank YOU for pointing this out - what is Disney's deal with Giant Icons lately? We've got the All Stars, Pop, Giant Mickey hands and hats...anything I'm missing?? Yuck!

To me, they just look like a cheap excuse to not actually have to theme something well. :mad:

To me Pop looks no better or worse than the All Stars - just a different inspiration (not implying good or bad inspiration - just different).

As soon as Baron gets back he will certainly point out that the All Stars are no more 'Disney' than Pop and not anything we should have expected from Disney back when they opened. OK - he doesn't have to say it now ;).

I do believe that the value resorts opened the on-site experience to a whole new world of travellers. While I know the good Baron believes they created a caste system (still haven't heard that diatribe), I can't necessarily see how the value resorts are a bad thing.

Value resorts are a great thing, but THIS value resort is ugly as hell. They COULD just as easily build something attractive and tasteful for the same money--good taste doesn't cost more than bad taste. I think we should start calling it:
POOP Century :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter