DEBATE: Benchmarking the Disney Magic

DisneyKidds

<font color=green>The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mo
News Flash from the Hopewell Gazette...

Small, yet witty and insightful, Disney internet users group undertakes benchmarking study to determine what makes Disney 'Magic'.

OK, end lame attempt to make this Rumors and News related.

Recently some new friends of mine have gotten me to look at Disney with a new perspective. Much discussion on several topics has centered around the Disney Magic, it's relative strength, the direction of the company and current management, and the prognosis for the continued health of the Magic. Eventually, different topics all come around to hitting all these themes at one time. As one can imagine, the discussion gets clouded. We all love Disney, and it can be a very personal thing. The saddest realization is that there are a number of cars that are in jeopardy of driving off the Disney highway, not to return because the Magic has gone.

So, in an attempt to understand a bit more about the Magic without getting tied up in the issues of how strong it is, or will it be gone soon, or is management a bunch of buffoons, I was hoping to have the wonderful set of Disney fans on this board share what makes Disney Magic for them. Now realize, some folks have experienced Disney since the early 70's or earlier, some only since the 80's, 90's, or 00's. But we all take away a large dose of Magic. But is the Magic of the 70's different from the Magic of 2002? Maybe it is entirely different, or maybe we have more in common than we realize. Unless we share what each of us feels makes the Magic we may never know. Perhaps in learning more about what makes the Magic for others we can either get an appreciation of the Magic of yesteryear, come to reappreciate the Magic we may have lost sight of, or find new ways to enjoy the Magic that Disney offers today.

So come on, lets Benchmark the Disney Magic!

Ok - enough talk about refillable mugs, cheats, the downfall of Disney, etc., etc., yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.:rolleyes: Time for something positive.

I'll jump in on my own here and give it a go. I have been thinking about it a bit, and the spinning Mickey ear hat thing has gotten me to thinking more (yes, a dangerous thing). :smooth:

What is the essence of Disney Magic for me? Honestly, it is something a car #3 passenger made a point of (yes, I can admit that ;)). It is the time and place thing. Disney transports us to a different time, a different place, a different reality. That was Walt's intent for Main St. USA. It is somewhat reflected in the 'lands' concept most of the WDW parks have. It shows in World Showcase. You see it in the incredible detail that has you standing in the middle of actual trees from Asia and Africa in AK. The hat thread got me to thinking, because before the hat you could have felt you were actually strolling past the real Chinese theatre. The boulevard to RnR and ToT with the architecture, billboards and period music takes you back.

I could go on about how it is reflected in the parks. However, you even feel it when you first arrive at the threshold of the Disney property. The roads are different, the signs are different - you have arrived. Then the resorts - they are the most pristine of any you will find in the world. They are not like anything else in the world. You leave your real world cares behind for some wonderful, wholesome, quality time with your family that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. At the same time you are insulated. It would be great to go to Paris, or on a real African safari, or to all the real places, but at Disney you get a slice of the experience without the risks, the travel, the language barriers, the inconvenience, etc.

WDW is a unique experience, and it can melt away the greatest of cares, if only for a short time. That is what Walt's WDW was intended to do - and continues to do in abundance today. It is immune to a bad ride, or a cut in hours, or elimination of EE, or an 'incomplete' park, or whatever the myriad of other criticisms are today. :D

I've been to all the popular non disney theme parks and resorts, some of which are very nice and I will return to. But I came away from my first real visit to WDW with this strange question in my head: Where are the dumpsters ?? Every other park or resort tried various was to hide dumpsters or facility service areas,but you always knew where they were,smelled them,saw traffic going in/out all the time. Never saw that at CBR,PO or any of the parks. We joined DVC in 97/98, OKW,VWL,BCV, and for the first time spotted these things which is a little disappointing,(actually can't judge BCV yet). Still love going,but it showed a lack of commitment to spend the extra $$ to make these sites "invisible".

I also was extremely impressed with the service the CM's provided. We observed obnoxious,rude,arrogant,ignorant guests and children make total asses of themselves and were amazed some CM didn't just rip their $#@T^% head off. Today,I think some of the CM's would definitely snap. Without starting an argument or intending to sterotype the X generation because there are always exceptions,but todays "kids" have no idea what it means to give 110% to your employeer. I hire and fire for my department so I know from where I speak. Disney is loosing that employee edge they always had over places like US,IOA,BUSCH,etc.

I am still impressed with the overall cleanlyness of the entire property.The landscaping has always been stunning,even during the severe drought of the last few years.I know lately WDW has been getting bashed for the latest ride additions, but to me WDW still has by far the best rides overall. I really don't enjoy this new generation of rollercoasters that basically smack head from side to side and leave me with a headache for the rest of the day.

I guess I'm a car 1.5. To me the "magic" is in the people and the overall WDW show. While I'm not as impressed as I was in '95, I don't think it has dimminished my vacation experience. To me the gap between WDW and say a Six Flaggs is still HUGE.

i love disney - the good and the bad - the movies - the shows - the parks - i know that a lot of people are looking at the state of disney as if it's going into a downfall - but remember - things go in cycles - remember the first movies - snow white - pinnochio - they were truly magical - then came the realistic films - and the mildly animated - and then the magic came back - beauty and the beast - lion king - i think that's what makes the magic - it's something hard to find and disney always does find it - but if you made magic everyday - it wouldn't be special - it would be the norm - so if you understand that - you will understand that disney makes entertainment - and everyone once in a while - magic happens - and that's what brings you back to disney - and that counts for all aspects of disney - if the parks were magical every minute - then it wouldn't be special - and the same goes with all aspects of disney entertainment -

For me the entire magic is:

I am a guest. I am an invited, wanted and valued guest. I am a guest on the phone, in person, at the hotel and in the parks.

Every cast member is glad I came, wishes me well and will assist in any way possible that I will enjoy my visit.

For the most part cast members do very little to remind me that they are working - they seem to enjoy what they do and that adds magic too!

The magic to me is the happiness that Disney creates. It seems that Disney's every fiber is there to make guests happy. From the attractions to the shows to the CM's. Everything and everybody seems to be genuinely interested in putting smiles on peoples faces to make them happy. That, to me, is a big part of the Disney Magic.

Panthius

By and Large, IMHO, Disney actually TRIES to please it's guests, not make excuses for things that go wrong.

They are not perfect, but except for 1 or 2 times for us, they have set a very high standard for customer service.

AND BTW, the customer service at DCL is so OUTSTANDING, that they make WDw look like a bad McDonalds by comparison.

And they make me forget the real world (now if they could only get rid of the rude, selfish, mememeeeeeeee guest around me.....

For me the Magic comes from the way Disney helps me to imagine. I was always a very imaginative person even if the real world intruded a bit more as I got older. Disney gave me an opportunity to let my imagination take flight into different directions and to see the world in many different ways. This was true whether I was in the child's world of the Magic Kingdom or both the technical side or world side of Epcot (I'm both an engineer and an avid traveller) or the old style Hollywood of MGM. Animal Kingdom only made it better by becoming an adventure in and of itself. I can even imagine myself in a perfect village while playing one of my favorite games in the Marketplace.

Of course, movies are themselves exercises in Imagination. I can immerse myself in another world and try to feel and understand what such experiences might be like. I hope that this makes a little sense! ;)

I've discovered friendly people everywhere and interesting things in a lot of places but the game of Imagination is truly the strongest component of Disney magic to me. :D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Keep it coming folks, we need the positive vibes and knowledge of what our fellow Disney fans take away from the experience. There has been just a little bit of innuendo, insinuation and, yes, even name calling as of late. Much of this is due to people trying to articulate positions on a moving target that is very fuzzy to begin with. Lets try and understand one another a little better by understanding your Magic. And remember, no one is wrong here as the Magic can be a very personal and individual thing.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Since we are having our subjectivity discussion, I'll try do illustrate as plainly as possible what I think the Quantitative Magic that IDsney produces is Vis a' Vis' the Theme Parks.

Magic, Specifically Disney Magic is the Sum total of the construction, Employees and operating procedures of the Disney Theme Parks. It's the Expensive Crystal Chandalier when a Fake would do. its the Detail on the leaves on jungle cruise that absolutly nobody will see.

It is a Story being told.

Ultimatly Disney Magic is Walt saying I'm gonna build a place that everyone young and old will come and marvel and enjoy. I will build a place that is wholly apart from the real everyday world as much as is humanly possible. That thus exceeds expectations

So, Disney magic Quantitativly is a removal from Reality and a subersion in education and entertainment that delights you.

Each of the little things people mention. The attitude of the CMs, the lack of Dumpster smell, the great attractions. Each and every piece is part of a whole that delights the guest. That Delight is subjective.

Now the fact is that not every guest is delighted by exactly the same things and some guests need far less to delight them then others, or conversly can ignore intrusions better then others. Thus when Disney alters things such that perhaps more of the real world intrudes, or that which some value in their delight is removed, some have the illusion destroyed some have the Delight taken away.

Ths the Objective and Subjective come together.

There can be no doubt that hours have been cut that Mickey butter is gone, and that Valet now cost money.

We can debate what failed at Animal Kingdom, even though to some it is not a failure. Logically, it needs to be a sucess for all to follow in the footsteps of its predecessor.
There can be no doubt that the Layout of Disney/MGM is NOT based on the successful model Walt invented.

Yet all of our disagreement amounts to what we need to put us in the magic. It's not about what we will accept. That puts people in a negative light. Look at those filthy Car 1ers, they'd watch a tortilla making exhibit and call it magic. It's not about expectation. People whose first visit is in 2000 won't miss things, but they may also miss the magic and never come back too. It's about the Varying levels of Need. And I don't mean need like you need Food.

So it is both Objective and Subjective.

What is Objective is everything that DIsney DOes to create the magic. The subjective is what each individual guests needs or sees or expireances that puts them in the magic.

mag·ic

Etymology: Middle English magique, from Middle French, from Latin magice, from Greek magikE, feminine of magikos Magian, magical, from magos magus, sorcerer, of Iranian origin

1 a : an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source b : something that seems to cast a spell : ENCHANTMENT
2 : the art of producing illusions by sleight of hand
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Disney Magic for me is the difference between 'real life' and 'make believe', between 'experiencing' and 'imagining', between 'doing' and 'pretending'.

Disney manages to bring out in me childlike and playful feelings and thoughts by using (often familiar) images and characters in ways that get my mind involved as much as my body.

You can catch glimpses of it at other places also - I think SpiderMan at IoA is not only an exciting attraction, but also has enough make believe going on with it that it's got some Magic.

The real difference is that at the MK practically everything seems to have some Magic, right down to the guy/gal selling you popcorn...

Benchmark Disney? How does one effectively define the Disney experience? I don’t think it can be done with the human mouth. Words are woefully inadequate. But what the heck… That never stopped me before!! ;)

I think I need to tell a story:

Once upon a time….

… There was a young married couple on their honeymoon. It was June of 1979. This couple first enjoyed a short 4-day Caribbean cruise and then headed for Orlando. The travel agent booked them into a Best Western on the very edge of Disney property. The handsome new husband had been to Disney many times before. The beautiful wife, however, had not. Being a teenager when first introduced to Disney and now only in his early twenties, the man didn’t really like to spend time shopping. When WDW first opened he visited the Marketplace, declared it rather boring for a teenager and never returned!!

They were booked in the Best Western for four nights. And then they would pack up and move to the Polly!! WOW!! The young man could hardly wait. He had booked the honeymoon suite that overlooked the lagoon, with clear sight lines to Cinderella’s castle!! He had tried, in vain, to describe the wonders of Disney to her. She would nod, showing the proper amount of enthusiasm, but he could see in her eyes that she didn’t ‘get it’. She kept equating it with the family run resort she and her family had visited the past twenty years every summer in northern Wisconsin. It was very nice. BUT IT WAS NO DISNEY!!!!! So now he thought about that castle room view. That was how he wanted to introduce his new bride to Disney. From this spectacular and very romantic room. Alas, it was not to be.

One day, after visiting Cypress Gardens in the 95+ heat (and having their first marital spat) they returned to their Best Western hotel room. They cooled off, made up and decided to take a walk after sunset. They walked down the deserted street on the brown, dry grass, which was really more dirt than grass, beside the road, for there were no sidewalks. After a time the grass started to become a little greener. And verily, a sidewalk appeared before them, with the cutest little streetlights you ever did see. Very low to the ground, clearly lighting the path, but not distracting to the eyes. Buildings also appeared. Quaint little places. Something one might see in a Tolkien novel. Huts almost. And for some strange reason that eludes most today (Scoop) very, very pleasing to eye.

One of the buildings was a restaurant. The young couple entered. The very personable hostess greeted them with a smile and a twinkle in her eye. She seated them in the middle of this fairly sized room, amiably chatting all the while. A host of servers came to cater to every wish and desire the young couple may have. Remember, they had just been aboard a luxury cruise, but somehow, this service was just a little better. Nothing in particular, and everything collectively. More of a feeling than a direct observation.

After a time the young man noticed that his back was to a tree trunk. A fairly large tree trunk at that. His eyes followed the trunk up to branches and leaves, and in a short time the young man realized that he was under a tree!! (OK, so the young man wasn’t the brightest bulb!!) He reached for a leaf, felt it, rubbed it between his fingers and finally, against his better judgement, picked it. WOW!! It was real!

Now, my fellow DIS posters, you cannot be mistaken about this. This tree was not a giant sequoia. Nor was it a huge weeping willow. But it was also not the type of tree you’d have indoors either. No sir!! Not at all!! It was a good-sized, back yard variety tree! The young man would be hard pressed to put his arms around the entire trunk!! Yet it was – Inside!! Under a roof, for Pete’s sake!! “Why would anyone do that!?!”, the young man asked his bride. And then it hit him!! WOW!!! He’d been steeped in it for a half an hour and didn’t even realize why everything and everybody was so pleasant!!

“This is Disney!!” he announced to his stunned wife (and everyone else in the dining room)!! “My God!! This is what I’m talking about!! Do you notice how everything inside here just “fits” together? How nice the personnel are? How everything from the silverware to the doorframes kind of match? And this tree!! It’s real!! Who else would put a real tree, this size, inside a restaurant?!?! Only Disney!! That’s who!!” (Yes, the young man spoke with double exclamation points too!!)

At last the wife ‘got it’!! After two and a half years of dating, constant stories about Disney and endless movies and pictures, she finally ‘got it’. (and 13 years later, on her own, without consulting her husband, bought roughly ten-thousand dollars worth of DVC points!! But that’s another story, for another time!)

Of course today we wouldn’t get a tree! We’d get a huge icon, painted in primary colors, BOLDLY stating, in no uncertain terms that, “this is Disney ®”.

That’s part (and only a small part) of my benchmark. Do any of you ‘get it’?

Baron I completely agree with your post!!!

To me the magic of Disney is all the small little touches you see at WDW. Do other parks have rides just as good or better than Disney? Some do, but Disney's attention to detail extends beyond the attratractions themselves.

A little story to illustrate my point My wife had never been to WDW until a few years back when we took our first trip together (she is now as hopeless a Disney addict as me:cool: ), anywho we were strolling past Innoventions in Epcot when suddenly my wife yelled out "look at the sidewalk," I looked down to see the little light tracks. My wife was completely enthralled by them and I think for her it was the most memorable thing of our 10 day stay. That one small detail (which probably cost a pretty penny) completely sold my wife on Disney. These are the types of things I see sadly lacking from some of Disney's recent additions. That is not to say that some of these additions haven't been magical to a degree. I just believe that they don't live up to the early standard because they are too occupied with big things to pay attention to the little details. IMO this is because when the budget for an attraction gets slashed the details are the first to go.

As far as benchmarking the magic, I find WDW most recent big additions to be completely devoid of magic (Dino, PopCentury). Hopefully, Space and Phillharmagic will reverse this trend.

After careful thought and deliberation on the subject I have concluded that benchmarking Disney is quite a task. Citing examples is woefully inadequate. There’s much too much subjectivity involved. It is one of the reasons I don’t like to use lists in these discussions. When we zero in too much on a particular (even one as near and dear to my heart as summer hours) we run the risk of losing sight of the ‘big picture’. And of course that ‘big picture’ is one of ideology and philosophy. A manner and tone of doing business that is set from the top and hopefully filters down to the lowest position within the company. And a lot of that has to do with “Vision”.

Walt had such a strong ‘vision’ that he was able to successfully pass it down the line to everyone within his company. In fact, though some may disagree, I think Disney is kind of topsy-turvy in this respect. The front line CMs still have this vision. Walt’s vision. But management, clearly, does not!!

To adequately get a handle on the way, manner, approach, method, style, mode of thinking (call it what you will) that Walt employed, I think you really have to understand the man. First of all, he wasn’t a businessman. That fact is key to understanding why Disney (at least the Disney I loved) was sooooo different from any other company. Instead he was part dreamer, innovator, visionary, trendsetter and probably a whole bunch of other things all wrapped up as a ‘showman extraordinaire’!!

So as follow-up to my personal ‘benchmarking’ story, I’d like to add a few Walt stories. Now, please bear with me, these stories are from memory and I must admit that each time I tell one, it gets better and better!! I fill in some dialogue but I really do try to keep to the spirit. ;)

STORY #1 (my favorite and if you get this, you get the difference between “Walt” Disney and Disney®!)

Walt loved trains. That’s part of the reason he built Disneyland. To get a full blown train at his beck and call. But years before that he decided to build a quarter sized train in his backyard (yeah, I know. Must have been one heck of a backyard!!!) Anyway, the job was contracted out and all was going fine until one day the contractor approached him with a problem. It seems there was one huge boulder in the way of where Walt had wanted the track to go. The contractor, being experienced with these types of problems and dealing with typical people, gave Walt a few options. All of them having to do with circumventing the boulder. Walt asked if it was possible to remove the boulder. The contractor laughed a bit and started to rattle of what that would take. Walt said to do it. The contractor was stunned. He said, “It’d be a heck of a lot cheaper to go around it.” To which Walt reply, “Oh hell! It’d be a lot cheaper not to do it in the first place!!”

Don’t ya just love that story!!!??

STORY #2 (Dealing with the SHOW and ‘getting it’)

Shortly after Disneyland was built Walt was alone walking around his place (I wonder how often Ei$ner does that?) and he noticed that behind the fence in Frontierland there was a car. He was more than a little upset. He searched the ‘land’ for the supervisor. He finally found him and asked what a car was doing, parked behind the fence in what was supposed to be a western setting. The supervisor told him that since he was in charge of that ‘land’ he took it upon himself to designate that spot as his parking place (a case of rank having it’s privileges). Walt fired him on the spot say, “You just don’t ‘get it’!!!”

This story reminds me of the workmen you see during daylight hours seriously detracting from the SHOW. The painters touching up Tomorrowland in plain view of guests. How sad. I wonder if Walt would have thought that the current administration ‘gets it’?

STORY #3 (Dealing with cost, profit and general philosophy)

One day Walt was standing in the middle of the construction site that would become Disneyland. He was totally broke and he knew it. He had taken the company’s money, his personal money, his brother’s personal money and sunk it all into his vision. And yet they were still short. His brother was trying to broker deals with the banks and television studios at this very moment.

His Brother Roy came running up to find him. He was very, very agitated, to say the least. Walt had approved a chandelier for a fast food restaurant that was being built. A very, very expensive, genuine crystal chandelier. Roy had the invoice in his hand. He screamed at Walt for being reckless. For sinking the company into debt they’d never get out of. For just not caring where their next dime was coming from. He told him that no one would ever notice if the thing was real or a cheap imitation and that they would never sell enough hamburgers to justify buying that damned light!!!!

Walt shot back that he didn’t care!! The idea was to give their guests an ‘experience’ like they had never known before. He said that while many would never see the chandelier, some would, and they would appreciate it. And many would see it, and not realize why they liked it, but it would draw them back again. He said that quality would win out in the end. The brothers didn’t talk to each other for a very long time after that. And I really don’t know if it turned more violent than that. But I do now it was one of the worst fights they had. But in the end Walt got his chandelier. And in the end Walt was right!!!

SO!! That’s another part of my benchmark of Disney. Again, do any of you ‘get it’?

Yes, I think I do.

I'm currently reading the Bob Thomas biography for the first time. Truth be told, its the first book about Walt or the company that I've read.

I'm about 2/3 through, but several things have struck me so far:

-When leaving Kansas City (?) for California after Laugh-o-grams failed, Walt had $40 cash, a couple of shirts, one pair of pants, a pair or two of socks and underwear, and just about nothing else.

He bought a first class train ticket.

-The insistance on quality in everything he or his company did. If he ever compromised quality, it was only because he had no choice. When he watched the initial shots from the squid battle he was not satisfied. So he told the director they stunk (the director agreed) and to go shoot other parts of the movie. Walt then had his engineers redo the squid at a cost of about a $250k, which was huge money at that time. (and the studio was not rolling in cash).

-Baron, you mentioned the train story. I remember reading that quote a couple of days ago, and honestly I think it was used in relation to something else (according to the Bob Thomas book). I'll check it. Regardless, the point still holds. Walt spent a large amount of time and resources on that train, including having power lines moved so his riders wouldn't have anything distracting from their visual experience.

-His insistence on getting the sound perfect on the first sound cartoon (was it Plane Crazy or Steamboat Willie?). He went to NY to get the sound done. One option included just using a phonograph in the theatres, but he rejected it because there was too much chance for error. He spent a large amount of money (that he didn't have) on a conductor, orchestra, and sound effects men, only to end up dissatisfied with the outcome. Did he release the cartoon and try to do better with the next one? Not a chance. Re-did it because he wanted it done "right".

Certainly says a lot to me.

-Baron, you mentioned the train story. I remember reading that quote a couple of days ago, and honestly I think it was used in relation to something else (according to the Bob Thomas book).
YES!!! Please do. Copy it, word for word if you have to. Like I said, these are burned in my memory. Not the details but the gist of them. It'd be nice if I could get the real account, cause I have forgotten where I heard them (read them) in the first place. Thanks!!!! :bounce:

It was Steamboat Willie. Plane Crazy was made without sound. It was even shown, once, as a silent film at a theater in May 1928. But "The Jazz Singer" was released, Walt found a new idea and the rest is history. To pay for the second recording session, Walt sold his "baby," his car.

Now I suppose I should say something about the Magic. I could probably write a disertation, but I will try to keep this brief. First I want to use someone else's words. This is from a book about Herb Ryman, called "A Brush with Disney."

His manner of thinking seems to be "What will people enjoy the most?" "Can they be educated at the same time they are amused?" or "Will what they see here make them happier and better people?" and "Will they go away with more respect for America and its heritage?

And that's pretty much what I expect out of Disney. Things that are enjoyable, educational to varying degrees, things that will make me think a little about my place in the world, and think a little differently about someone or something else.

I know that after the hand-wringing of the 70's, the idea of "what would Walt do?" has become passe and a sign of trouble, but I disagree to some extent. I think the questions others thought Walt was asking are still valid, and to ask them is an important step in the creative process. It's only when you modify the question to "Would Walt think those questions would be answered with a 'yes' when reviewing project X?" that things run into trouble. But it shouldn't stop people from answering those questions, "Do I think people will go away with more respect for ______, etc"

It saddens me so much that a lot of the talk about the current Disney begins and ends with "is this enjoyable?" or "does it look nice?" When the other parts aren't even considered necessary in the equation, it just reminds me how much has already been lost from people's expectations.

WARNING – The following is an editorial comment:

“Quality wins out in the end” should be tattooed backwards on Eisner’s forehead so he can read it every time he looks in a mirror.

Can't possibly put it all into words, since our "history" with WDW goes back 20 years this past May. However, a few things stand out that I've seen, heard and felt NOWHERE else.
The roads, landscaping, signage - whether for a resort or the parks. The beautiful flowers and meticulously cared for trees and shrubbery. The theming carried through from the entrance of a resort to the CMs clothing colors and style to the interiors of the rooms and the fact that hardly anyone says "sorry, we can't do that". Even when they might have to refuse a request, it is often done with so much patience and consideration and offers to do the next best thing, that you end up not minding terribly.
The architecture. The background music. When we get off the bus from the resort at the entrance to Epcot, for instance, there are trees shading the walkway and music piped in that is neither intrusive or inappropriate.
The sounds and smells and, as many have mentioned, the cleanliness. We have stayed at some beautiful resorts - some in Florida - and no one but no one keeps the ugly necessities of life out of sight the way Disney does.
Even the food courts - everything you might need is right there, handy and ready for you and well stocked.
One day at MGM - sunny and hot and busy - we were sitting waiting for DSs to return from Tower of Terror. A young child dropped what looked like a milkshake on the walkway. In less than a minute there was a CM cleaning it up and rinsing and using a squeegee to remove any residue. In minutes the area was dry and you'd never know it happened. The same day a CM was clearing and wiping tables in the area and stopped to talk to DH and I. Asked where we were from. Said he had retired to FL from New England and that this happened to be his "turn" at a different job. He usually works as a bus driver. Had a lovely chat with him.
Of course all the special effects can't go unmentioned - fireworks during Illuminations EVERY NIGHT - more than our small town puts on once a year for the 4th of July. The music for Tapestry and Illuminations recorded by a symphony orchestra. The MK castle changing colors every night and Tink "flying" from the castle balcony.
Oh,my, I could write a book. I mind the things that are no longer there but there's still more magic at Walt Disney World than any other place we've been.:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter