DEBATE: I can't be the only one having trouble with Disney's dealings in China...

Mop

Mouseketeer
OK, I could stomach a Hong Kong Disneyland. Hong Kong is still mildly democratic, despite still being under the shadow of China. And while there is some poverty in the region, well... there's poverty everywhere, right? It's mildly disturbing to see such an icon of capitalism among impoverished people, but the argument can be made that a Disneyland will bring much needed revenue to these people.

I thought that the idea of building a Disneyland in India was utterly ludicrous. While that nation is democratic, it also suffers from rampant poverty and much civil strife (recent Hindu vs. Muslim confrontations and the imminent threat of war with Pakistan makes this a very unstable region).

So Disney now again turns to China and rumors of Shanghai Disneyland are now rampant. A totalitarian nation (Communist in name only - they're a despotism). Prone to bouts of anti-Americanism (moreso than in France!). Have we so quickly forgotten a recent incident where American airmen were held as "guests" of the People's Republic of China after one of their fighter planes crashed into an American spyplane? Should Disney even be building in a nation that the United States still spys on?

Nevermind the economics of building a Disneyland in Shanghai when you're already building one in Hong Kong. Surely that's going to kill business in one, if not both, of the Disneylands. Imagine the PR if Disney has to shutter one of the parks! Imagine the pictures of a wrecking ball tearing down Cinderella's castle! But put that aside. Look at the politics of it. The thought that at any time, at the government's behest, Chinese people could again flood the streets in anti-American protests, stone the American embassy in Beijing, and now they would have an even bigger and more obvious target! Pollution, civil unrest, and rampant poverty are all concerns (although less so in the political district of Shanghai, I'll admit). And when China eventually becomes a democratic nation, you'll expect that it won't happen without some kind of armed conflict (look at all the former Soviet satellite that eventually became democracies... it wasn't easy... now picture that, with a Disneyland in the picture). And the corruption means kickbacks and bribes. When this comes to light, it won't look good for Disney.

And lastly, there's the uniqueness of Disneyland. Disney isn't Six Flags. I understand that Disney desperately needs to make money and theme parks are their biggest cash cow. But building theme parks everywhere will just reduce the uniqueness of it and probably kill the concept. Just like they did with "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?", they're going to drive the concept into the ground, milk it for every penny it's work, and then toss it aside. They're not looking long term. Shame on Michael Eisner! Maybe it is indeed time for Mike to go.

Mop

I don't really have a problem with the fact that there may be a park built on mainland China. Sure, the threat of an anti-American backlash exists, but it hasn't stopped McDonalds and others from building in any country they can get into. Its a risk, but the upside is significant.

Also, I'm not sure how the deal(s) in China are structured, but if its like the Tokyo Disney Seas deal, Disney probably has very little risk should the park be overun by an angry mob. In Tokyo, OLC runs the park, and I assume they would be the hardest hit should there be civil unrest.

I would think that building two parks in China at the same time is a risky move economically. They don't even know if the first will succeed, let alone a second.

However, assuming the Shenghei rumors are true, it maybe that that China was ready to bring in Universal if Disney didn't step up to the plate.

I have to admit, however, that if I had a stake in the Hong Kong park, I'd be pretty ticked off about a Shenghei park opening a year later...

Just FYI: these "rumors" about Disney building a theme park in Shangai are fact, not rumors. DH just returned from a business trip in Shanghai and I assigned him the task of asking around about the Disney/Shanghai rumor. Yep, it's definite, as far as he was told.

Don't we win if the world becomes an American Culture. Disney is the best weapon there. then coke, then cars,,,,,,,

First, there is some debate about whether the Shanghai deal will go through (mostly between Hong Kong & Shanghai - it's in the courts now).

Second, Disney's stake is either Chinese park is the same type of deal that they have with OLC (though I don't remember the developer's name). This minimizes the financial risk, even if it doesn't minimize the risk of overexposure or damage to the brand if there's a riot there.

Third, I don't know how much Chinese history you know, but, while the outer trappings of the system have changed a couple of times, the culture remains very similar to the system that has been in place for millennia. Yes, there is widespread poverty and yes, the government is totalitarian and beaureaucratized, but that system has been in place for some time. It's nice to think that we (however you define 'we') are right, and they are wrong, but I'm not sure that's always the case. I'm not defending China's government, but without more information than I have, I'm not willing to say Western influences would hurt either the country or the company that chose to build in China.

Sarangel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter