Debating to go to Chef Mickeys or Hollywood and Vine??

When are you going??? We are going to H&V in Dec and I cannot wait to see the fab 5 in their Christmas finest!!!

I think it depends on if you want to eat in the park or not. I didn't eat at either of these because of the reviews but if I didn't care about the reviews I would base my choice on if I want to eat in the park or not.

Tusker house was amazing. My first character breakfast and it was everything I could have asked for, plus some great surprise foods I didn't even know I wanted!

Maybe my family is easy to please, but we have enjoyed each of our 3 dinners at Chef Mickeys. Food is pretty good and the environment is lots of fun. I dont hesitate to recommend it and I dont really understand the hate for it. But again, maybe we are just simple people.

I know! My family enjoys CM, and maybe we are just not picky, but we find food we like, and plenty of fun character interaction. My daughter and I were discussing this yesterday, and she agreed, maybe we just dont't knwo better! LOL

Tusker House is our favorite restaurant period. Never mind characters just in general love it there. I’d actually chose H and V between the 2. A little less chaotic and too me the food is similar in quality actually.

Now this is one my family just did not care for. In terms of breakfast food, I thought it was okay, but that place had the worst character interaction I had ever experienced. Very chaotic, IMO. My DD and fam had lunch there and decided tht TH is a "never again"I believe food and experiences are very subjective.

OP- what meal have you been considering for H&V? That makes a difference IMO. Breakfast is way different in regards to characters as well as family dynamics than dinner. Dinner is Minnie's seasonal dine, and while both meals invite families of all ages, breakfast characters are geared towards the younger set. My coworker dd nto realize that when she booked it for her DHS morning, and she and her fiance could not get out of there fast enough! LOL! I would have paid money to see them!

We've done both twice over the past two years. On our first trip in 2016 we did the Disney Junior lunch at H&V and Chef Mickey's dinner. We had a great experience at Chef Mickey's and thought the food selection and service was significantly better than H&V. During our most recent trip this spring we did the Seasonal Dine at H&V and dinner again at Chef Mickey's. The server and character interaction at H&V were the best out of all 6 of our character dining experiences and Chef Mickey's was our least favorite this time around (our server was terrible, the number of offerings on the buffet had been cut and the character interactions seemed very rushed). I think a lot of it is just luck of the draw with getting a good server, interactive characters and hoping the characters are not behind schedule on their "rotation" causing them to rush through the experience.

The food offerings are pretty similar with average buffet quality and the environment will be loud and chaotic at both locations but we had realistic expectations going in so we were not disappointed. Being able to take the monorail to dinner and being inside the Contemporary made Chef Mickey's a bit more unique and memorable than H&V so I might lean in that direction if choosing between the two. However, if your trip is during the Christmas season, I would give preference to having my children's photos taken with the characters in their holiday attire and would lean toward the Seasonal Dine at H&V.

So we only go in the fall or winter, and therefore H&V is a must for us. We do really like the food, which includes seasonal offerings like butternut squash ravioli, and we love seeing the fab five dresses up for the holidays! (Halloween or Christmas) - only place you can see this for the regular park admission price. Not to mention if you are going during the Christmas season you can get a picture with Santa Goofy - rare opportunity.

We won’t go back to Chef Mickey’s. This used to be a favorite. Two times ago we were underwhelmed (keeping in mind it is buffet food, so expectations were already low). And the time after that was the absolute worst. Our character interaction was horrendous, food was left out for a long time and just not good, and service was almost non-existent. Could have been an off night, but it was our “second chance” meal after the previous bad meal, and now we will not do it again when we can go to H&V.

Hollywood and vine is just nasty food. I haven't eaten there in 10 years and have no desire too. I did enjoy Chef Mickey's and think it is a nice option and better one then H'wood and vine.

If you are looking at Lunch or Dinner, I would highly suggest Hollywood and Vine! My kids were actually disappointed that it was not on the agenda for our past trip. I really enjoy seeing the characters in their seasonal outfits and the food is actually quite good. They have the basics on the kids buffet portion and they have lots of yummy stuff on the rest of the buffet. We have enjoyed Chef Mickey's for breakfast in the past. You really can't go wrong with Mickey Waffles!

What characters are at H&V for the Disney Junior Breakfast and then for the Minnie christmas dinner party?

Hollywood and vine is just nasty food. I haven't eaten there in 10 years and have no desire too. I did enjoy Chef Mickey's and think it is a nice option and better one then H'wood and vine.

You know that H&V has made many improvements on their buffet offerings, yes? It is still a buffet, however the quality for lunch and dinner is much improved over what was there 10 years ago.

Restaurants change, and it is possible that your experience 10 years ago is no longer valid. It might be, but maybe not.

We have both scheduled for our trip in November. Chef Mickey’s is our arrival day dinner and Hollywood and Vine is a late breakfast the day we’ll be in Hollywood Studios. We’re not expecting much in the way of quality food, but we are hopeful for the character interactions for our DD3 and DD1.

We have both scheduled for our trip in November. Chef Mickey’s is our arrival day dinner and Hollywood and Vine is a late breakfast the day we’ll be in Hollywood Studios. We’re not expecting much in the way of quality food, but we are hopeful for the character interactions for our DD3 and DD1.

I would not even worry about the food if I was taking preschool children. Their interactions with the Disney Jr characters is going to be priceless!

I've never been to Chef Mickey's but My kids 16, 11, and 7 absolutely love Hollywood and vine. It's the only eatery my picky allergy having 11yo requests for our trips. They love the variety. And I will say I personally have never had bad Food there. Once I had slow service but it was very busy so we were patient. And we love the character interactions they have there.

Last edited:
What characters are at H&V for the Disney Junior Breakfast and then for the Minnie christmas dinner party?

When I went solo a year ago for Breakfast (so I could get into the park early) it was Doc McStuffins, Sofia and Jake. But I know it's changed since then. But usually it's Preschool geared Characters.

I would not even worry about the food if I was taking preschool children. Their interactions with the Disney Jr characters is going to be priceless!

Yeah, it’s why I’m trying to maximize what we’re doing quality-wise with our counter service credits. I understand that quality food and character meals don’t always intersect and my wife and I are the types that like to eat well when we travel. This trip is 110% about the kids though, not us.

When I went solo a year ago for Breakfast (so I could get into the park early) it was Doc McStuffins, Sofia and Jake. But I know it's changed since then. But usually it's Preschool geared Characters.

Right now it’s supposed to be those three and Roadster Racer Goofy for the Disney Jr Dine.

Yeah, it’s why I’m trying to maximize what we’re doing quality-wise with our counter service credits. I understand that quality food and character meals don’t always intersect and my wife and I are the types that like to eat well when we travel. This trip is 110% about the kids though, not us.

Right now it’s supposed to be those three and Roadster Racer Goofy for the Disney Jr Dine.

I think for Halloween they are supposed to add Vampirina as well.

You know that H&V has made many improvements on their buffet offerings, yes? It is still a buffet, however the quality for lunch and dinner is much improved over what was there 10 years ago.

Restaurants change, and it is possible that your experience 10 years ago is no longer valid. It might be, but maybe not.
I'll pass

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter