• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debit card fraud...someone emptied my account

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
Yup. Had over 2k and only used the card once in the past several months- to buy airfare Tuesday on Jetblue's website. The rest was going to buy APs for the 13 month promotion. Went to use the card today and it was declined. Bank (not the same one for my regular accounts) told me it could be 90 days to get the $ back...if they agree it was fraud. It's going to be tight trying to get all the holiday gifts I intended to plus pay all the bills and get the APs if it ends up taking that long to get the funds replaced. I know...first world problems...but I feel so violated. Kills me that someone felt entitled to my money...and they'll likely get away with it. I filed a police report. Anything else I can do to expedite?

Yup. Had over 2k and only used the card once in the past several months- to buy airfare Tuesday on Jetblue's website. The rest was going to buy APs for the 13 month promotion. Went to use the card today and it was declined. Bank (not the same one for my regular accounts) told me it could be 90 days to get the $ back...if they agree it was fraud. It's going to be tight trying to get all the holiday gifts I intended to plus pay all the bills and get the APs if it ends up taking that long to get the funds replaced. I know...first world problems...but I feel so violated. Kills me that someone felt entitled to my money...and they'll likely get away with it. I filed a police report. Anything else I can do to expedite?

So sorry to hear this happened! I had this happen to me one year the day after Christmas. Last year my identity was stolen and accounts were opened up and charged. It was a nightmare! I was fortunate that the bank had put the money in the next day but I did have to sign a paper stating that I didn't charge the items and if found that I did and lied then legal action would be taken against me, etc. 90 days is a long time to have to wait

That stinks. My debit card has been compromised twice and both times Fifth Third had the money back in my account within a couple hours of the fraud being discovered.

That stinks. My debit card has been compromised twice and both times Fifth Third had the money back in my account within a couple hours of the fraud being discovered.
Same here - ours was emptied at a location in S.E. Asia and all we had to do was sign an affidavit swearing we had not been there. The refund only took a few days, including us getting the documents notarized. So sorry for you OP - it definitely comes as a shock, doesn't it?

This happened to me in August, but I caught them in the middle of it, because of my text alerts (sign up for those!) I went to the bank immediately and the card was declined when they tried to use my (just) cancelled debit card. Because they were auths, they cleared them but warned they could clear. And they did. For larger than the auth. But then I just went back in, it took my banker 10 minutes and she had reversed the charges and my money was back. This was less than a month before the trip and they took ALL our spending money. I was in tears when she told me it was all taken care of. Who do you bank with? Sounds like it's time for a switch.

I had an issue and Wells Fargo told me to expect a tentative decision within 24 hours, a final decision within 14 days, and written confirmation of that decision within 30 days. I had the money back in my account within 12 hours.

You can also set up a daily limit on your debit card. If you check your account daily you would notice fraud before they get a chance to empty your account.

alerts! i woke up to an alert once saying someone used my credit card for $20. I called my bank immediately... they put a stop. an hour later, a $600 charge for Legoland tickets...
I saw a trick once who got around doing that, they went to the atm close to midnight, hit the limit twice within 10 mins... Would suggest 100% use credit card or cash. debit is just too dangerous. Use only at banks.

I filed a police report yesterday in hopes it might speed up getting the funds back. My biggest concerns are that since the charges happened in the same state I live in, they may decide it could've been me and deny the claim, and that however my card got compromised, my other cards could be hit as well.

Yikes knock on wood we never had our debit card compromised but we rarely use it. Usually only to take cash out and sometimes in places they don't take credit cards. Specially not on the internet. Best advice is to never use that debit card again unless is in the ATM. Pay everything with a credit card and then pay it off.

I hope everything works out for you.

I refuse to get an Visa debit card. I stick with the ATM card....the original type they first issued. I can use it at any location that takes Visa debit (i.e. Costco, grocery store, Walgreens, etc), but you must use your PIN number every time. I get push back from the bank when it's time to renew the card, but I hold firm. I think it's more secure. I have my Disney Visa credit and my Amex for other purchases.

alerts! i woke up to an alert once saying someone used my credit card for $20. I called my bank immediately... they put a stop. an hour later, a $600 charge for Legoland tickets...
I saw a trick once who got around doing that, they went to the atm close to midnight, hit the limit twice within 10 mins... Would suggest 100% use credit card or cash. debit is just too dangerous. Use only at banks.

My Visa debit card has the same fraud protections as my Visa credit card.

My Visa debit card has the same fraud protections as my Visa credit card.

Mine too. They also email me when they suspect fraudulent use, just like my credit card company does. I can set up text alerts for both, just haven't yet.

I’m sorry to hear this has happed and the uncertainty it has caused. If you are worried that your other cards may have been compromised, contact the issuing bank and have new ones sent ASAP.

Once the police report has been filed it will take several days before a hard copy is available. Pick it up using the case number you were given and then you must be the one to send it to the bank. Keep a file of the case numbers you were assigned, correspondence and everyone who you have spoken with. Ask the bank if they want some type of notarized affidavit as well; they may have already sent a form to you in the mail. A bank investigator may have been assigned to your case. If so, contact this person and ask them how to best resolve this. This investigator will sometimes have the discretion to make funds immediately. In my experience these investigators are social and easy to speak with. Good luck!

I recently had something similar happen to me. Someone used my PayPal debit card to reload my Starbucks card for $150 which they then used IN STORE in Massachusetts (I live in Michigan) to make a purchase for $149.15. I received an email receipt from PayPal and immediately notified them that the purchase was fraudulent. Then I looked at my Starbucks account and realized that I also had my Discover card and Chase Visa card stored in my account. I didn't realize that they were being stored when I did my own reloads so I immediately deleted them. I checked both of the cards and, sure enough, my Discover Card had 4 pending authorizations, 2 for $100 and 2 for $50...all from Starbucks. I called Discover and they cancelled my card and told me that the charges were still pending and would not go through. I also saw a charge on my Chase Visa, but that was also blocked before it could go through.

I called Starbucks and let them know that my card and account had been compromised and unauthorized purchases were made. I also sent them an email and they assured me that no breach had occurred. I politely told them that all three of the cards stored I my account were used to make (or attempt to make) reloads to my Starbucks card. One of them was successful and the thief was able to purchase almost $150 in merchandise (in the store) using the stolen funds. Thankfully, my money has been returned to me, but I no longer have a Starbucks account and I do not have any plans to re-open one either. They assured me that my account was secure despite the fact that I told them that it was breached. A security camera from the store and my time card showing that I was at work and not in Massachusetts at the time of the purchases would be plenty to prove that they were robbed. They didn't seem to care so I let it go...my money is back in my hands so I am all set.

This is the biggest reason I don't even have a debit card. At least if my CC has been compromised (and it has been) none of the money I need to pay bills and stuff is gone, and I'm not waiting to get it back. The two times (in the past 30 years) my card was compromised, Amex has alerted me and already taken the steps to freeze the account, and within 48 hours I have a new card in my hand and the fraudulent charges are history.

My husband and I both had our bank cards compromised within a month of each other. Our bank immediately caught the charges and only a few small charges went through. We went in signed some papers and the money was back in our account within a couple days. We did have to get new cards which was the most annoying part.

Hopefully you can get your sorted out.

Sorry to hear. Never use the debit card again except to get cash at an ATM. Always use a credit card to minimize the pain when it happens. And it will happen again. My account has been hacked multiple times.
Right - Credit cards have MUCH better fraud protection - Debit cards not so much

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter