Debt Ceiling Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
But is seems the next group will say, in order for the car to last, we should buy some good car wax for a trillion dollars. What? Oh and from now on , every person in the family deserves a car.

it just keeps building higher and higher.
Then it's on each of us as voters to vote people into Congress who share our values and priorities. If car wax is important to you, vote for people who agree. If you think each family should only have one car, vote for people who agree with that. Money has to be spent, it's literally what makes the country function. But what it's spent on is determined by Congress. And who is in Congress depends on us.

Then it's on each of us as voters to vote people into Congress who share our values and priorities. If car wax is important to you, vote for people who agree. If you think each family should only have one car, vote for people who agree with that. Money has to be spent, it's literally what makes the country function. But what it's spent on is determined by Congress. And who is in Congress depends on us.

I agree, but I think the issue is bigger than that. A vote about something like that should happen at the state level, not the federal level. That's the root cause of most of our problems.

But of course, what one says in oct, can be way different from what they do in jan.

I always vote.

interesting-one of the credit unions we bank with just announced a new cd offer of 5.25% on a 48-60 month. i've not seen any of the online institutions recently offer that level of a rate for that long a term and certainly none of the brick and mortars. wondering if they are trying to snag some of the $$$$$$$$ some are pulling from their stock market based investments due to fears over this debt ceiling issue.

Reactions: GAN

I agree, but I think the issue is bigger than that. A vote about something like that should happen at the state level, not the federal level. That's the root cause of most of our problems.
And that's a conversation worth having. But it has zero to do with raising the debt limit. The debt limit is solely to allow us to pay the bills that we've ALREADY accrued. And the 14th amendment to the Constitution is very clear that not paying the bills is not an option. So they have a Constitutional duty to raise it and THEN have conversations about how things should change.

But of course, what one says in oct, can be way different from what they do in jan.

I always vote.
Glad to hear that you always vote! And I agree that you can't go by what they say while campaigning. It's a tough time to be an American for sure, no matter which side of the aisle you're on.

Here in California during one of the shutdowns Golden One credit union fronted state workers with accounts with them the amount of their missed paycheck, and took the money back when the shutdown ended. So I'm sure many of those workers may not have realized they didn't get paid, because the money was in their account.
Navy Fed did that during the shutdown a few years ago. It was a good thing they did too, because military families could have been totally screwed over. My son-in-law got all his backpay, and it was automatically taken to cover the paychecks that NF covered for them.

interesting-one of the credit unions we bank with just announced a new cd offer of 5.25% on a 48-60 month. i've not seen any of the online institutions recently offer that level of a rate for that long a term and certainly none of the brick and mortars. wondering if they are trying to snag some of the $$$$$$$$ some are pulling from their stock market based investments due to fears over this debt ceiling issue.
Wow ...that is a good rate for the term. You're betting that the rates will drop over the next 4-5 years which in my opinion is more likely than not. As long as you have a chunk of cash not locked into a retirement account. I'll be 60 this year so I have 5 more years max to work, but was figuring the cost to retire at 62 where I'd have to pickup medical coverage for 3-years till medicare at 65 ...I've got a good amount tied up into 4.5-5% CD's in a ladder(6-24mo) trying to earn as much as I can to cover the expense. Which I figure would be somewhere in the $15-20,000 range for me. Of course, the sacrifice is what that money could have earned in the traditional market ...like Google up 40%+ over the last 3-months 😭

Wow ...that is a good rate for the term. You're betting that the rates will drop over the next 4-5 years which in my opinion is more likely than not. As long as you have a chunk of cash not locked into a retirement account. I'll be 60 this year so I have 5 more years max to work, but was figuring the cost to retire at 62 where I'd have to pickup medical coverage for 3-years till medicare at 65 ...I've got a good amount tied up into 4.5-5% CD's in a ladder(6-24mo) trying to earn as much as I can to cover the expense. Which I figure would be somewhere in the $15-20,000 range for me. Of course, the sacrifice is what that money could have earned in the traditional market ...like Google up 40%+ over the last 3-months 😭

i have never been brave enough to do the traditional market investing. i will take less with the knowledge i'm not at a risk of losing. i've got friends my age (63) who were/are pretty conservative in their stock market retirement investing but even they got hammered such in 1987 and 2008 that while the numbers show they've 'recovered' financially-they are no where near where they were projected to be. i like looking at my cd calculator and knowing where i will be at a given point in time.

that cost of health insurance is insane-drives home why a lot of the pre 65 retirees in my neck of the woods are working part time gigs that provide health insurance.

that cost of health insurance is insane-drives home why a lot of the pre 65 retirees in my neck of the woods are working part time gigs that provide health insurance.
The problem is, if they take SS at 62, there are earning limits (62-65, I think) that can be tough to work around for some salaries. How do they do it? Live off their retirement savings for three years? Really curious, from your perspective.

Us pawns voted those playing "the game" into office ... based on average tenure, we apparently knew what we were getting. Perhaps, its time to stop making this a career for people that might not be as concerned about governing or being held accountable ...

The average length of service for Representatives at the beginning of the 118th Congress was 8.5 years (4.3 House terms); for Senators, 11.2 years (1.9 Senate terms).
Some of us are smarter than that. 😉

The problem is, if they take SS at 62, there are earning limits (62-65, I think) that can be tough to work around for some salaries. How do they do it? Live off their retirement savings for three years? Really curious, from your perspective.

i'm not entirely sure. i suspect some live off retirement savings for those 3 years but others run the numbers and they can still end up ahead even if they exceed the cap of earnings. as an example (just cuz i know the numbers for the place my oldest used to work and they hired allot of retirees waiting for medicare)-

minimum 32 hours per week for medical (100% paid by employer/low cost deductable and copay-med/dental/vision), average wage for a low key non stressful job-$17.00 per hour so...........

$17 per hour @ 32 hours per week equals about $35,000 per year
ss cap on uncounted earnings is $21,240 so countable would be $13760 per year
ss deducts $1 for every $2 you earn above the cap so net ss loss would be $6880 per year

.......so (pre tax) ss loss is $6880, earnings gain is $35,000 equals $28120 in retirees pocket (before taxes) and free insurance.

Rates are still going higher.

This might be because deposits are still coming out of banks and into money markets. It’s to preserve and attract capital.

This is the impact of banks not raising their deposit rates. Customers are now moving their money elsewhere. I don’t think this has anything to do with the debt ceiling other than pushing rates even higher. I wouldn’t be surprised by 6% rates in the near future. And then fixed income starts to become competitive to equities.

Reactions: GAN
If you can avoid taking social security at 62, you’ll be better off. But it really depends on your assets and health.

i'm not entirely sure. i suspect some live off retirement savings for those 3 years but others run the numbers and they can still end up ahead even if they exceed the cap of earnings. as an example (just cuz i know the numbers for the place my oldest used to work and they hired allot of retirees waiting for medicare)-

minimum 32 hours per week for medical (100% paid by employer/low cost deductable and copay-med/dental/vision), average wage for a low key non stressful job-$17.00 per hour so...........

$17 per hour @ 32 hours per week equals about $35,000 per year
ss cap on uncounted earnings is $21,240 so countable would be $13760 per year
ss deducts $1 for every $2 you earn above the cap so net ss loss would be $6880 per year

.......so (pre tax) ss loss is $6880, earnings gain is $35,000 equals $28120 in retirees pocket (before taxes) and free insurance.
It's not an "actual" loss. SS will readjust your benefit based on that $1 for every $2 that you lose. So your full retirement age benefit will increase as a result. That's a very loose explanation without going too deep into it!

Every situation is different -I'm fortunate enough to have both my parents still with me in their 90's who live pretty comfortably and don't spend a heck of a lot of money right now ...they can survive strictly on SS benefits so haven't tapped their retirement in several years. Which basically means whatever is left goes to me -only caveat is I would need to withdraw/spend it within 10-years myself. The reality is, they may not make it much more than 5-years(I know my father says he has no plans to be around more than 2-years 🙄) so I go in with the understanding I have more than just SS and my own retirement to live off. As a child my father was pretty frugal, but I consider myself blessed for certain.

Rates are still going higher.

This might be because deposits are still coming out of banks and into money markets. It’s to preserve and attract capital.

This is the impact of banks not raising their deposit rates. Customers are now moving their money elsewhere. I don’t think this has anything to do with the debt ceiling other than pushing rates even higher. I wouldn’t be surprised by 6% rates in the near future. And then fixed income starts to become competitive to equities.
That's why I set up the money I am putting into CD's as a ladder. So the money will mature in stages. If rates go up, I'm hedging so I'll have a good portion available to reinvest at the new higher levels.

And that's a conversation worth having. But it has zero to do with raising the debt limit. The debt limit is solely to allow us to pay the bills that we've ALREADY accrued. And the 14th amendment to the Constitution is very clear that not paying the bills is not an option. So they have a Constitutional duty to raise it and THEN have conversations about how things should change.

Glad to hear that you always vote! And I agree that you can't go by what they say while campaigning. It's a tough time to be an American for sure, no matter which side of the aisle you're on.

Or maybe those discussions should have happened BEFORE they spent money they knew they weren't going to have. This didn't sneak up on anybody.

That's why I set up the money I am putting into CD's as a ladder. So the money will mature in stages. If rates go up, I'm hedging so I'll have a good portion available to reinvest at the new higher levels.
You also pay state taxes on CDs. And you have to be careful they’re not callable. And they’re hard to sell in the secondary market. It’s these challenges that should make rates better.

But at the end of the day, it’s really about real yield, so my long term fixed income is in TIPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter