• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers - 2016

Yup, I hear you. I pay $815 towards my loans each month. $760 of that goes to interest. I am, thankfully, on the public service loan forgiveness program.
Wow! How can anyone afford that? When we had loans, it was about $300/mo, which felt big to us. This was in the late 90s. About ten years ago DH's company was bought out and we used his stock payout to pay off our loans (over $30k balance) which was the best thing we ever did. We're trying to sock away as much as we can for the kids, but I cringe to think how much college is going to cost for them in just a few years.

Wow! How can anyone afford that? When we had loans, it was about $300/mo, which felt big to us. This was in the late 90s. About ten years ago DH's company was bought out and we used his stock payout to pay off our loans (over $30k balance) which was the best thing we ever did. We're trying to sock away as much as we can for the kids, but I cringe to think how much college is going to cost for them in just a few years.

DH and I will never file our taxes jointly again, I can tell you that! We're filing separate next year and my payment will drop to about $360/month. Obviously that will not cover my interest, but hopefully the public service loan forgiveness will hold out. I also pay $82/month on another loan. That one isn't eligible for loan forgiveness so I will snowball DH's car payment into that once the car is paid off.

I am extremely fortunate that my parents paid for my college and I just had to take out loans for law school. I can't imagine the shape I'd be in if it wasn't for that.

DH and I will never file our taxes jointly again, I can tell you that! We're filing separate next year and my payment will drop to about $360/month. Obviously that will not cover my interest, but hopefully the public service loan forgiveness will hold out. I also pay $82/month on another loan. That one isn't eligible for loan forgiveness so I will snowball DH's car payment into that once the car is paid off.

I am extremely fortunate that my parents paid for my college and I just had to take out loans for law school. I can't imagine the shape I'd be in if it wasn't for that.

I thought you had mentioned that you were better off filing jointly this year?

I thought you had mentioned that you were better off filing jointly this year?

Only in the sense that we didn't end up owing the IRS money by filing separately, and got some back to put towards our car payment. It really became problematic when I took a pay cut with my new job though. I took an $11k pay cut, which in the department of education's eyes translates to my student loan payment only going down $100/month... Yeah. Makes sense.

In Murphy news, the trackpad on my MacBook has lost its mind and I can't use my computer

Only in the sense that we didn't end up owing the IRS money by filing separately, and got some back to put towards our car payment. It really became problematic when I took a pay cut with my new job though. I took an $11k pay cut, which in the department of education's eyes translates to my student loan payment only going down $100/month... Yeah. Makes sense.

In Murphy news, the trackpad on my MacBook has lost its mind and I can't use my computer
Does it feel like there is pressure under the trackpad? I had an issue with my old macbook were the battery began to expand and put pressure on the trackpad which made it not work properly. Apple will replace the part for free if the battery is defective.

Does it feel like there is pressure under the trackpad? I had an issue with my old macbook were the battery began to expand and put pressure on the trackpad which made it not work properly. Apple will replace the part for free if the battery is defective.

No, it's like the mouse is moving constantly and clicking on everything so it's making my screen go nuts. From what I can see online it doesn't look like its too exorbitant to get it fixed so I guess I'll take it in. The computer is 5 years old now but it still runs well so it's worth it to fix it.

Well my debt dumping is about to get blown out of the water. The LAflood2016... both Cars submerged and the trailer we rent got 4 to 12 inches of water. Now it means a new car note for the car we just bought last month and a new car note to replace the car that was paid off... plus things like new deposits and whatnot. :(

Well my debt dumping is about to get blown out of the water. The LAflood2016... both Cars submerged and the trailer we rent got 4 to 12 inches of water. Now it means a new car note for the car we just bought last month and a new car note to replace the car that was paid off... plus things like new deposits and whatnot. :(

:hug:
This has been on our news up here and it looks awful. Makes the tree on my house seem like no big deal.
I can't believe our moronic president has not toured the area yet after all this time.
Hugs and well wishes go out to you, your family & neighbors.
:grouphug:

No, it's like the mouse is moving constantly and clicking on everything so it's making my screen go nuts. From what I can see online it doesn't look like its too exorbitant to get it fixed so I guess I'll take it in. The computer is 5 years old now but it still runs well so it's worth it to fix it.

Yep, exactly what mine was doing and it was 6 years old. An external mouse is pretty cheap and works well!

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. :( Can you apply for federal aid?

Thanks, I'll try that!! I think DH has an extra mouse at work.

Good luck - hope it works! The hard part for me was changing the settings so it was set up for the external mouse... kinda hard to do when it was jumping all over the screen. I had to look up the keystroke commands online. :)

Good luck - hope it works! The hard part for me was changing the settings so it was set up for the external mouse... kinda hard to do when it was jumping all over the screen. I had to look up the keystroke commands online. :)

You're a lifesaver! Found an old Apple Mouse upstairs and managed to finagle my way through the trackpad to get the mouse to connect via Bluetooth! Back in business! The only thing is the scroll doesn't work on the mouse, so I may go ahead and buy myself a cheap mouse this week because I do like using the scroll button (or movement on the Mac). Thanks for the tip! Less money out of my pocket this month!! :cutie:

You're a lifesaver! Found an old Apple Mouse upstairs and managed to finagle my way through the trackpad to get the mouse to connect via Bluetooth! Back in business! The only thing is the scroll doesn't work on the mouse, so I may go ahead and buy myself a cheap mouse this week because I do like using the scroll button (or movement on the Mac). Thanks for the tip! Less money out of my pocket this month!! :cutie:

Glad it worked!! :thumbsup2

Well, I haven't really updated recently so here goes.

The good: I turned 11 today (for the 4th time )

The bad: my Internet (DSL) went out Friday night. Called the phone company to see if they could fix it. Have an appointment for a technician to come out Wednesday night. If the problem is outside my house, no charge. But if it's inside I might have to pay, but I think I have line coverage so it shouldn't cost me. But we'll see.

My dryer (12 years, 4 months old) no longer heats up. So it looks like I'll need to get a new one.

The really bad: my dad was diagnosed with a form of leukemia. He started chemo last week. It went good for the first round, but the overall prognosis is not very good.

So much Murphy going around :-( Yesterday my brake line broke. Thankfully I was very close to home so the kids and I are safe! I will find out tomorrow what the price tag will be.

Well, I haven't really updated recently so here goes.

The good: I turned 11 today (for the 4th time )

The bad: my Internet (DSL) went out Friday night. Called the phone company to see if they could fix it. Have an appointment for a technician to come out Wednesday night. If the problem is outside my house, no charge. But if it's inside I might have to pay, but I think I have line coverage so it shouldn't cost me. But we'll see.

My dryer (12 years, 4 months old) no longer heats up. So it looks like I'll need to get a new one.

The really bad: my dad was diagnosed with a form of leukemia. He started chemo last week. It went good for the first round, but the overall prognosis is not very good.

I am so, so sorry :( Prayers for you and your family, hopefully you hear some good news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter