• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers - 2016

For our credit cards that no longer have any debt, but are being used for regular monthly expenses, I pay the entire balance on the day that the statements get sent to my email. I just log in, click "current statement balance", choose "today" as my payment date and hit send. YNAB is all about breaking the paycheck to paycheck cycle because instead of spending money and then planning to pay for that spending with next months paychecks, it actually helps you get to the point where you are paying for those expenses with last months (or earlier) paycheck. Because of how YNAB works with cards that don't have debt, we actually have all of the money to pay off those cards set aside and just waiting to pay off the cards.

Since we started using this program, my stress level has plummeted in relation to money.
Jen, I don't know if I'm thick headed or getting too old to learn new things, but I gave YNAB a good several weeks, and couldn't figure it out. I got more frustrated trying to use it then it was helping. I figured it was time to move on. I sure wish I could have used it. In our case, with a lot of consumer debt, we aren't to the point where we can pay as soon as the bill is due, I do set it up way in advance to pay the bill, but the money has to be there in order to pay it, so the way I'm doing it now seems to be working ok. As soon as we have it paid off, if we were to use cc's again to get points, etc. I would certainly have it come out immediately, because we would have a lot more money to do that with. I'm also working on building up our emergency fund, because that is just as important so that we don't have to resort to using our cc's for those "uh oh" moments. Example-the other day our refrigerator in the house started thawing in the middle of the night. Luckily, my husband just reset the electric box and it. Keep in mind that I recently started working full time, and haven't even got a full time paycheck yet, until next Friday. I am so anxious to get the first cc paid off!! I estimate it will happen in May or June, if I can make the $1000/month payments that I plan on, in addition to the minimum on the other 3 cards. That will be almost $1900 in payments going out each month. Our mortgage is $1630, not to mention our car payments which add up to $553 together. The truck will be paid off in August 2018, so that will free up another $229 to put towards debt. By that time, we should be on the last stretch of our cc payoff, which is going to feel sooooo good!!

Hes that is what I mean. My bank/billing is very predictable so it doesn't vary much. Do what is comfortable for you. I'm not suggesting using $ earmarked for other bills or expenses, food, gas etc. to use toward debt. I'm talking about $ leftover.
Dh and I get paid biweekly but on opposite weeks so every Thursday is payday. Each check has a list of bills that it will pay. I include bills that don't follow a monthly pattern such as car insurance, property taxes, sewer, etc. so that enough will be there when needed. For those bills I put $ aside in their own Capital One 360 accounts. So when car ins is due, I just transfer to checking to pay it.
Once you're caught up with your known upcoming expenses, finish your emergency fund. DR recommends $1000 min but some people prefer more. Once you have that ready, start on the debt.
I also agree that I pay the bill either on pay day or the day before so that the money is gone from our checking account. Leaving it there only creates an illusion that we have $$ to spend. It's better to just pay it when the money is there. By the time I get home on Friday, all the bill money for that week has been paid out and it's easy to see what is leftover.
Once the snowball gets rolling there isn't a lot sitting there as leftover, just a small cushion. Whatever would have been leftover has already been paid to the debt that I'm attacking at that time. It takes time to fine tune the amounts.
I don't have YNAB but I hear so many wonderful comments about it, I probably should get it.
Thanks for your reply! We do have $1000 between 2 banks, I hope to keep it that way and keep it growing. That doesn't seem like a lot, just 1 thing goes out in our house (like our fridge almost did recently) or the water heater (god forbid) and that PLUS more will have to be paid out!! I'm so glad we paid off our couch set that we rented from Rent a Center in May before our daughter's college graduation party. We never had a nice set, in fact, when we lived away for 2 years, our kids allowed the dogs to scratch up & sleep on our old sofa so I gave it to my daughter and her husband when we moved back. I would have loved to use YNAB, but it got me more confused than anything, so I stopped using it and just continued with my own spreadsheet/method. I am actually using another system online now through my husband's work, it is part of a package deal where we pay $39.99/month and talk to a financial counselor twice a month. I am not 100% sure that I need to continue it, I just switched counselors because the other one seemed condescending and I wasn't feeling like being talked down to, especially when paying them for support/guidance. The main thing is to make sure the transactions from autofeed from our checking account are categorized correctly. Some will be totally off, I just have to keep an eye on it. I also use Mint.
FYI, I did change our AK USA pmnt of $530 to come out the day of our paychecks (28th) even if it's not due until 11/4, so thank you for that suggestion!! I see what you mean. I should probably do the same with BOA, since it's not due until the 7th of Nov, right now I have it set to come out the 4th, but the 2 paychecks from next week will be paying for it anyway, so I guess it's best to have them take the $$ out sooner than later. :)

Ok, I figured out a payoff schedule;
Citibank.....Payoff Date: June 2017 ($1000 payments until June 2017)
Chase........Payoff Date: Dec 2017 ($145 payments until July 2017 then $1225.50 pmnts)
BOA..........Payoff Date: June 2018 ($190 payments until June 2017 then $1355 pmnts)
AK USA......Payoff Date: Dec. 2018 ($500 payments until July 2018 then $1865.50 pmnts)
Does this sound reasonable? Thats my goal. By then, not only will all the cc's be paid off, but DH truck as well, and then we will owe approx. $7200 on my car.

Last edited:
I have to agree with J&A's love of YNAB. I started using it two months ago and I love it.

Prior to it, I had budgeted for years using a paper budget and writing everything I spent down. Basically, it was the same method as YNAB, but a paper version that was a lot of work. I got married last year and while I'm an accountant and an extreme budgeter / financer, my husband was not. I struggled for a year trying to figure out how to get two people involved in a budget (he was all for it, but not good about giving me receipts or having any clue what money we had). YNAB has been great for getting him on board by using the app. He now enters his own spending in the app, plus he can now see what kind of money we have, which helps him be more a part of our family finances.

The odd thing is even though I had basically been doing the same thing on paper, somehow we are actually now saving more using YNAB. I would definitely recommend this product (and have to several people).
My situation is the same as yours, except for the fact that since I couldn't even figure out YNAB, my husband was surely not going to be on board with it. He's the same way as yours was-not on board as far as giving me receipts or saying he cares but not being involved in the process. The only thing I think I've got him doing now is asking before he just willy nilly uses the debit card, even if it's for legit expenses, sometimes we just don't have the money. I love the idea of him being a part of our financial picture. The part that he is part of it is that he is the one with the largest chunk of retirement money. He also is tired of working and is eligible to retire in 4 years, which is another major reason to get our debt paid off beforehand. He will only be 54 when he retires, which is young, but he will have worked for the same organization for 30 years, and he doesn't want to do anything else. He has 3 retirement pots-1 main one, (PERS) SBS (Supplemental Annuity system) and Deferred Comp. I think they add the 2 first ones together to come up with the monthly, the 3rd one is more like an extra savings. Mine will be very tiny, I have enough in to be "vested" which is 5 years worth, but the biggest + will be that they will cover both my and my husbands health premiums, which can be huge!

Thanks for your reply! We do have $1000 between 2 banks, I hope to keep it that way and keep it growing. That doesn't seem like a lot, just 1 thing goes out in our house (like our fridge almost did recently) or the water heater (god forbid) and that PLUS more will have to be paid out!! I'm so glad we paid off our couch set that we rented from Rent a Center in May before our daughter's college graduation party. We never had a nice set, in fact, when we lived away for 2 years, our kids allowed the dogs to scratch up & sleep on our old sofa so I gave it to my daughter and her husband when we moved back. I would have loved to use YNAB, but it got me more confused than anything, so I stopped using it and just continued with my own spreadsheet/method. I am actually using another system online now through my husband's work, it is part of a package deal where we pay $39.99/month and talk to a financial counselor twice a month. I am not 100% sure that I need to continue it, I just switched counselors because the other one seemed condescending and I wasn't feeling like being talked down to, especially when paying them for support/guidance. The main thing is to make sure the transactions from autofeed from our checking account are categorized correctly. Some will be totally off, I just have to keep an eye on it. I also use Mint.
FYI, I did change our AK USA pmnt of $530 to come out the day of our paychecks (28th) even if it's not due until 11/4, so thank you for that suggestion!! I see what you mean. I should probably do the same with BOA, since it's not due until the 7th of Nov, right now I have it set to come out the 4th, but the 2 paychecks from next week will be paying for it anyway, so I guess it's best to have them take the $$ out sooner than later. :)

I just wanted to add this point, any debt that is 0% interest it has no effect on but any debt that is accruing interest, paying a week or even just a few days early, lowers the amount of interest you are charged.
Most cc companies tell us right on the statement how interest is calculated. Usually it's based on the "average daily balance" which means at the end of every day, the balance is recorded and when the billing cycle closes, let's say that it's 30 days long, they calculate the average of those 30 amounts. So if you make a payment of $500 15 days into that cycle, it will make that average lower than if you made that same payment amount on day 29.

I had read that average daily balance phrase so many times over the years but didn't really see it in action until dh got a truck way back in the day of coupon booklets for car loans. The final payment coupon stated something like, "You will receive a bill in the mail for this payment." and I though ugh, that doesn't sound good.
So based on timing of paychecks, mortgage and other bills, and allowing time to mail checks the old fashioned way, I had to make the truck payment on our first pay of the month, even though it wasn't due til the 15th or 20th or so. I wasn't doing this to try to save on interest, it simply was the only paycheck I could assign this bill to.
Well, when we finally got the bill for that final payment. It was $50 less than usual. I called to ask why, I was afraid they would see their error and rebill us later. They told me it was from paying a week early for 4 years.

So sure, it's not a huge amount but still, why let them charge you more interest when you have the money just sitting in the bank? It's not as if you could do anything else with it or that it's earning big interest in a bank account. Just get it off your plate and know that you're doing all you can to keep the interest amounts as low as possible.

I am very careful to do this with the mortgage since that's much bigger numbers than our $350 truck payment and it's a longer term. So even though it's not due til the first of the month, I pay it 2 days before the last paycheck of the month, usually around the 24th or 25th. This is another instance that I know I have 2 days until the funds get pulled from my bank account yet our mortgage company credits us the payment on the day it was scheduled for. This month, our last pay is on the 27th so I can schedule the mortgage for the 25th and the funds won't get pulled until the 27th.
I do check our bank accounts online 2x per day at least so if our mortgage payments should ever get faster at pulling our funds, I can transfer some EF from savings and quick deposit some cash to cover it. I've been doing this for years with no problems.

Once, when our mortgage company first offered us auto pay I thought it was a great idea until I saw that they didn't send for the payment until the 10th of each month!! When I asked why, they told me, It's ok we have a 15 day grace period!! Whaaaaat?!!!
Sure, it makes more interest for them and most people wouldn't care as long as it gets paid. Well no way. That's 2 weeks later than when I would have paid it and we'd have to remember for 2 weeks, when tapping an ATM that we can't really touch that money. Ugh!
I ditched that crap asap. Imagine how much that would add up to over 15 or 30 years.
:headache: :faint: :sick:

Last edited:
Ok, I figured out a payoff schedule;
Citibank.....Payoff Date: June 2017 ($1000 payments until June 2017)
Chase........Payoff Date: Dec 2017 ($145 payments until July 2017 then $1225.50 pmnts)
BOA..........Payoff Date: June 2018 ($190 payments until June 2017 then $1355 pmnts)
AK USA......Payoff Date: Dec. 2018 ($500 payments until July 2018 then $1865.50 pmnts)
Does this sound reasonable? Thats my goal. By then, not only will all the cc's be paid off, but DH truck as well, and then we will owe approx. $7200 on my car.

Sounds great! Isn't it exciting to see how huge the snowball gets?! :hyper: That's my favorite part. :goodvibes
It's what keep me strong and motivated because the laws of mathmatics do not falter. It's right there in black and white and it can be done!:thumbsup2

Back in 2013 when I first started, I didn't think it would ever happen but our snowball was up to around $1920/month. It has been reduced $530 by our recent new debt but according to The Plan it should be back up to 1550 by the end of this school year.
It's those giant payments that will chomp up that AK USA bill of yours like a hungry piranha. With all those other bills gone, your car payment will get chomped up in a few shorts months.
nom nom :fish:

Sounds great! Isn't it exciting to see how huge the snowball gets?! :hyper: That's my favorite part. :goodvibes
It's what keep me strong and motivated because the laws of mathmatics do not falter. It's right there in black and white and it can be done!:thumbsup2

Back in 2013 when I first started, I didn't think it would ever happen but our snowball was up to around $1920/month. It has been reduced $530 by our recent new debt but according to The Plan it should be back up to 1550 by the end of this school year.
It's those giant payments that will chomp up that AK USA bill of yours like a hungry piranha. With all those other bills gone, your car payment will get chomped up in a few shorts months.
nom nom :fish:

This is where we are at right now. Our snowball is now up to about $3000, thanks to DH getting his new job last month. That amount of money each month is amazingly impactful and really keeps you motivated. This month we finished the debt on two cards! And our last credit card debt should be gone by the end of next month. Then we will focus on replenishing our savings that we had to earmark for IVF costs. After that is accomplished, we will loosen up a bit, since we have been extremely frugal since June, with no real personal spending at all (no clothes, no hobby spending, no eating out, etc.). We will probably take $1000 of that to pay towards our car loans and put $500 towards our emergency fund each month (goal is to get to $20,000 in there eventually). The other $1500 will get splint between our vacation fund, personal spending money for each of us and saving for baby expenses, maybe even putting some money aside each month to buy more DVC points someday.

I'm so glad to read that others couldn't figure out YNAB! I always thought I was really dumb for not understanding it.

And YNAB has actually inspired me to become more organized in other aspects of my life too. I used some Swagbucks money from last month to purchase an Erin Condren Life Planner and I love it. I realized a while ago that using Google Calendar just wasn't keeping me organized enough. I used a Franklin Covey planner in college and law school. YNAB has made me realize that I need to find the right tools to help me succeed. After using the planner for a little under a month, I realize that I have been amazingly more productive at work and in my personal life than I was before.

Jen - do you recall where you got the Erin Condren planner? I usually pick one up at Office Max but I would like to try something different.

Jen - do you recall where you got the Erin Condren planner? I usually pick one up at Office Max but I would like to try something different.

I actually bought it direct from erincondren.com when they were running a 25% sale. They are pretty customizable, which I really liked. I spent an entire afternoon watching youtube reviews of different types of planners before I decided to go with the Erin Condren. I wanted to make sure it would fit my needs and work best for my style. I was just talking with a friend yesterday about planners. She just got a Franklin Covey 2-page per day planner because she needed lots of space for taking notes each day. I don't really need that, so the 2-page weekly view + monthly view of the Erin Condren works well for me.

I think they also sell the Erin Condren planners on Amazon and at some Staples stores, so those are options too.

Well I've been in hiding this month....its been a very rough month financially for DH & I.

So lets start fresh shall we: THis is will be long!
We've been running over in out spending every month well forever now and Dh is on board with helping get the nonsense spending under control.

Around Oct 3rd the lift gate (cargo door) computer on my Buick Rainier went out.....took it to mechanic and they quoted me at $350 to fix it. I said let me take it home for the weekend and I'll get it back in Monday. Well DH and I were already talking how I just need another car and was actually scoping out used cars.

Oct 9th the whole driver side door lock mechanism broke. We called DH cousin who is a tow truck/pop a lock guy to come out to fix it. He couldn't even get in on the driver side how to pop it on the passenger side crawl over and get the door open. There has been a recall for about 2 years with issues with the driver side door including electrical problems that could cause a fire to happen suddenly. Buick has yet to try to do anything about this recall other than notify us.

Well at this point I was fed up and we actually ended up buying a 2017 Toyota Camry on Oct 10th. We looked at used but we found a great deal on the new and got the loan at 0% interest for 72 months includes extended warranty and gap coverage. Even better as part of the deal the dealership is paying the first 4 payments for us. (So we got like $1700 off plus 0% interest & a decent trade for my piece of junk)

Then DH grandfather has been diagnosed with cancer so DH & I have taken over the farm animals (miniature horses and chickens) Its for right now cost to feed is about $30 month we have enough hay to last thru winter and next month we need the horse hoofs trimmed which is $120 total.

oh and during all of this other mess DH truck battery went out $173, the dog needed his annual allergy shot & they had to do a new annual exam on him so that was $140 (I budgeted $40 for the shot) and lastly my phone bit the dust it was old that I had gotten from a friend so the activation and taxes on a Samsung Galaxy 6 was $140. So that was all unexpected and really did a number on us.

Plus we needed some household items like a new trashcan and some misc needed household items so that was $70 extra.

I've signed up for Everydollar I like it enough in that I see where we are over spending by tracking transactions but it doesn't help me figure out which bills need to come out of which check. I have a spreadsheet for that but I get overwhelmed and it doesn't always work that well plus trying to keep DH in the loop isnt' that easy. I just get so frustrated.

We have buckled down with finances to get us to the 1st of the year when I get a raise & Dh will get one in April.
We have also come to the conclusion to sell our travel trailer its valued at $28k to pay off DH truck which he owes $18k on. We hate having 2 vehicle notes but at the time of buying his truck we had every intention of keeping my Rainier for at least 3-4 years as it ran good and had only a little over 100k miles. But it was being too unreliable and sinking over $1200 into I was done.

We hope to sell the trailer to pay off the truck, DH credit card which has about $1500 on it and the loan from DH grandpa for our porch which is $2000. This would free up at least $450 a month if not more (depending on insurance coverage changes) that money would go to savings and give us breathing room for once.

So this is a long much needed vent just hoping not more major issues come up before the first of the year.

Those are some impressive snowballs..! :worship: I'm too embarrassed to say what ours is at, but the good news is even with the vacations we have planned we should be debt free except for the mortgage this time next year. No CCs, car loans or student loans. Fingers crossed our short sighted 20s are out from under us!

I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles this month MrsTurnerLovesDisney... I hope that is the last of it for a long while!

It's harder to have an impressive snowball if you are living on only one income. I'm trying not to get too discouraged. It looks like I'll end up breaking even this year. The trip to China put me off track, but it was totally worth it!

Don't be discouraged. We had been chugging along with one income until last month and were still making great progress. It helps that DH got a job, but we were determined to pay off all the debt no matter what. It can be done!

And I would totally have taken that trip to China too if the opportunity presented itself.

Wow, well aren't we all falling apart?! :( :sad2:
My dryer died this weekend. We have 2 of them so it didn't leave me completely stuck but I really do use 2 so the new one is coming Friday. We have a Speen Queen washer that can kick out a full load every 32 mins. Even with that it takes me most of a Saturday to get all the laundry done, at least 10 loads not including sheets.
After working like a dog all week, who wants to spend all weekend doing laundry and housework?

Don't be discouraged. We had been chugging along with one income until last month and were still making great progress. It helps that DH got a job, but we were determined to pay off all the debt no matter what. It can be done!

And I would totally have taken that trip to China too if the opportunity presented itself.

Thanks! I was doing really well until the trip! At least I will end the year without accumulating any debt, which is better than it could be. I still have my spreadsheet and look at it often. I also have all but one balance at 0% and a plan to pay each off before the 0% offer expires. Hoping 2017 goes well! Let's start that thread now... ha ha!

It's harder to have an impressive snowball if you are living on only one income. I'm trying not to get too discouraged. It looks like I'll end up breaking even this year. The trip to China put me off track, but it was totally worth it!

Don't be discouraged! I'm in the same boat - one income! Unfortunately, Murphy struck last night at work. Was eating a mint, but down on it and busted my tooth. So to the dentist I go tomorrow afternoon. The last time I did this they repaired the tooth and a few months later the nerve went bad and I ended up needing a root canal. Hopefully they fix it tomorrow but I know it will probably set me back close to $300. And in the first week of November my fur babies (2 of them) go for their annual exam and shots and that will be to the tune of about $500. Then my homeowners insurance is due..... ugh!! I hate the end of the year!

Don't be discouraged! I'm in the same boat - one income! Unfortunately, Murphy struck last night at work. Was eating a mint, but down on it and busted my tooth. So to the dentist I go tomorrow afternoon. The last time I did this they repaired the tooth and a few months later the nerve went bad and I ended up needing a root canal. Hopefully they fix it tomorrow but I know it will probably set me back close to $300. And in the first week of November my fur babies (2 of them) go for their annual exam and shots and that will be to the tune of about $500. Then my homeowners insurance is due..... ugh!! I hate the end of the year!

I know what you mean. I needed 2 crowns this year, each one costing over $700 and that was after insurance.
Still I'd rather pay than go toothless.

Well, I hate to add to the Bad Luck Club...but I'm a member. The transmission is shot on our 6.5 year old car, the tires need replacing, the brakes need doing very soon and we have a mysterious wobble when we decelerate that they've never been able to diagnose or fix. We are serious road trippers, so her mileage is pretty up there for her age. I just wish we hadn't gone ahead and replaced the shocks two weeks ago. That turned out to be a waste of money. Essentially, the car needs more repairs that she's worth, so I'm picking up a rental car today and we are buying a new one this weekend. I'm not eager to go back to having a car payment (DEBT!! We've only been completely debt free since July 1, 2015) but it is what it is. We don't seem to have very good luck with cars. We never seem to get to drive them for very long after they are paid for. DH wants to consider a lease...so we are going to look into that. There are very good deals on right now...might be able to take advantage.

Hope everyone's luck improves!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter