• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers - 2016

Just got back from a four day trip to our horse show in Ohio! Had a great time but probably spent way too much. We had money budgeted from our third paychecks in September though, so we won't be carrying a balance on our CCs or anything. Just more than I wanted to spend. We haven't had a "vacation" since our four day trip to CA in January though, and DH's work paid for 75% of that. DH also used points for our hotel so that was free this weekend, plus we brought one of our friends with us who paid for gas. So our only out of pocket expenses will be our shopping purchases and food expenses. We'll be buckling down for the rest of the year though!

I finally (two weeks later) got the quote from the roofer who came out to look at the issue on our shed. $630!! I think that's way too much and the guy took a week to get me the estimate after I had called him for the second time and he said he would have it to me that afternoon, so I've called someone else to stop by and look at it. It is a very small issue so I think $600 is way out of line, I was expecting more of the $300-$400 range. If I'm wrong then I'm happy to eat my words and pay for it, but I just didn't get a good vibe from the original guy anyways after it took so long to get back to me.

I actually bought it direct from erincondren.com when they were running a 25% sale. They are pretty customizable, which I really liked. I spent an entire afternoon watching youtube reviews of different types of planners before I decided to go with the Erin Condren. I wanted to make sure it would fit my needs and work best for my style. I was just talking with a friend yesterday about planners. She just got a Franklin Covey 2-page per day planner because she needed lots of space for taking notes each day. I don't really need that, so the 2-page weekly view + monthly view of the Erin Condren works well for me.

I think they also sell the Erin Condren planners on Amazon and at some Staples stores, so those are options too.

Thanks - there are a ton of Office Depot stores in my area but only one Staples, and it's pretty far - but I'll stop in next time I'm anywhere close. I agree that a good planner can make life much easier.

Just got back from a four day trip to our horse show in Ohio! Had a great time but probably spent way too much. We had money budgeted from our third paychecks in September though, so we won't be carrying a balance on our CCs or anything. Just more than I wanted to spend. We haven't had a "vacation" since our four day trip to CA in January though, and DH's work paid for 75% of that. DH also used points for our hotel so that was free this weekend, plus we brought one of our friends with us who paid for gas. So our only out of pocket expenses will be our shopping purchases and food expenses. We'll be buckling down for the rest of the year though!

I finally (two weeks later) got the quote from the roofer who came out to look at the issue on our shed. $630!! I think that's way too much and the guy took a week to get me the estimate after I had called him for the second time and he said he would have it to me that afternoon, so I've called someone else to stop by and look at it. It is a very small issue so I think $600 is way out of line, I was expecting more of the $300-$400 range. If I'm wrong then I'm happy to eat my words and pay for it, but I just didn't get a good vibe from the original guy anyways after it took so long to get back to me.

I have storage sheds as well, and had the roofs replaced. The one was $600 and the other was $1000. Is this to take off the old shingles, put new on and haul away the debris? I would most definitely get a second bid though. My rule of thumb is to get three quotes when doing a project (unless I've used the person before and know their not trying to rip me off)

I know what you mean. I needed 2 crowns this year, each one costing over $700 and that was after insurance.
Still I'd rather pay than go toothless.
So I went to the dentist today - need a crown. Yuck! It will be $1288 (which is the typical rate here). And of course no dental insurance. Our dental insurance plans here are horrible and basically a waste of money. He did throw in the office visit today for free, as well as the two x-rays and smoothing it down some. So I still have a broken tooth but atleast its smooth - lol!

DS'a medication was adjusted saving me $40 every 6 weeks or so. Finally something gave in!

Also, I found it interesting his cardiologist said nothing except
the fainting episode at school wasn't related to DS's Irregular EKGs but his neurologist mentioned it might have been stress/anxiety induced. She called into question all of his episodes and I wrote that off b/c I flat out asked the heart doc and he said he was 90% sure it was heart related. Is it wrong I'd rather he have horrible stress/anxiety that can be helped therapy than a heart condition that can make him drown when swimming. Ugh doctors! Make me feel like a dumb parent who doesn't know her kid. Pfffft. They just make me crazy.

I made a reservation months ago for Kalahari resort as a consolation trip since we cancelled our cruise, well I saved $59 this week on that trip. I received an email for a much lower rate so they lowered my rate and supposedly gave me a $50 arcade card for free which will make DS happy. That $50 will pay for dinner and an adult beverage for me! Some friends are coming with and they are chipping in so any cash will go into my Christmas fund.

Small baby steps towards positive changes. Oh and I was approved for OT! I'm excited
For the extra cash and for this project to be over with. Made the appointment for DS braces, Dec 27 so I've got 2 months to come up with the down payment then I can pay using my HSA and hope that DS's surgery is covered by insurance so I can figure out how to pay for that too. Baby steps!!!

DS'a medication was adjusted saving me $40 every 6 weeks or so. Finally something gave in!

the fainting episode at school wasn't related to DS's Irregular EKGs but his neurologist mentioned it might have been stress/anxiety induced. She called into question all of his episodes and I wrote that off b/c I flat out asked the heart doc and he said he was 90% sure it was heart related. Is it wrong I'd rather he have horrible stress/anxiety that can be helped therapy than a heart condition that can make him drown when swimming. Ugh doctors! Make me feel like a dumb parent who doesn't know her kid. Pfffft. They just make me crazy.

I made a reservation months ago for Kalahari resort as a consolation trip since we cancelled our cruise, well I saved $59 this week on that trip. I received an email for a much lower rate so they lowered my rate and supposedly gave me a $50 arcade card for free which will make DS happy. That $50 will pay for dinner and an adult beverage for me! Some friends are coming with and they are chipping in so any cash will go into my Christmas fund.

Small baby steps towards positive changes. Oh and I was approved for OT! I'm excited
For the extra cash and for this project to be over with. Made the appointment for DS braces, Dec 27 so I've got 2 months to come up with the down payment then I can pay using my HSA and hope that DS's surgery is covered by insurance so I can figure out how to pay for that too. Baby steps!!!

Good news! Sounds like things are looking up! And no, you are definitely not a bad parent!

I have storage sheds as well, and had the roofs replaced. The one was $600 and the other was $1000. Is this to take off the old shingles, put new on and haul away the debris? I would most definitely get a second bid though. My rule of thumb is to get three quotes when doing a project (unless I've used the person before and know their not trying to rip me off)

If it was $600 for the whole shed roof, I would totally understand that. But this is literally one aluminum cap that went across the apex of the roof where it's not shingled that came off. So now there just needs to be something put back on or it needs to be shingled there so there's not a cap running the length of the roof. I just can't imagine that will be $600! But like I said, maybe I'm wrong. The second guy that my brother recommended should be at our house now checking it out and will hopefully give me a call here soon.

Glad you had a great time at the show! Horses are always worth it! Just got my winter hay in :scared: but such a good feeling!

Glad you had a great time at the show! Horses are always worth it! Just got my winter hay in :scared: but such a good feeling!

I hear that! Rich and poor all at the same time! The second cutting we got from our hay guy this fall wasn't as niec as we'd like it to be so we're considering buying everything he has from his first cutting next year. I'm sure you'll all hear my crying come May.

For the extra cash and for this project to be over with. Made the appointment for DS braces, Dec 27 so I've got 2 months to come up with the down payment then I can pay using my HSA and hope that DS's surgery is covered by insurance so I can figure wsout how to pay for that too. Baby steps!!!
Great news! Enjoy Kalahari! We went to the Poconos one early this year and had a blast.

A couple weeks ago we paid $500 for them to disconnect the cables that were making the van door not open (and replace a headlight) and yesterday DH hit a curb and got a flat, so took it today for a new tire. Ended up being two tires damages. I had enough in my "car repairs" fund for one tire but not two, but we'll deal. I am just OVER this car, but we need to try to make it until at least summer to get a new one. Grr.

Last edited:
So I went to the dentist today - need a crown. Yuck! It will be $1288 (which is the typical rate here). And of course no dental insurance. Our dental insurance plans here are horrible and basically a waste of money. He did throw in the office visit today for free, as well as the two x-rays and smoothing it down some. So I still have a broken tooth but atleast its smooth - lol!
Oh no! :(

Do you have a flex spending account? or the ability to sign up for one for next year if you can put it off a little bit & get the work done after Jan 1?

Glad I got a second quote on our roof issue. The first was $630 and the guy took two weeks to get back to me. The second guy had an estimate for me within 48 hours of me calling and said $250!! And I know he's reputable since my brother builds homes and uses him all the time. That price is more in line with what I was expecting to pay since it's not a huge issue.

Glad I got a second quote on our roof issue. The first was $630 and the guy took two weeks to get back to me. The second guy had an estimate for me within 48 hours of me calling and said $250!! And I know he's reputable since my brother builds homes and uses him all the time. That price is more in line with what I was expecting to pay since it's not a huge issue.

That's awesome! What a huge difference. It always pays to shop around. 48 hours is reasonable, 2 weeks is not. That alone would make me search elsewhere.

That's awesome! What a huge difference. It always pays to shop around. 48 hours is reasonable, 2 weeks is not. That alone would make me search elsewhere.

Agreed. Especially after the second time I called him and he told me he would have the estimate to me that day and it was a full seven days before I got the estimate after that. Even if the second guy had come back $600 on our estimate I still would have gone with him just because it made me nervous how long it took the first guy to get in touch with me.

Think of all you can do with that $380! Glad that you got a better quote.

Do you have a flex spending account? or the ability to sign up for one for next year if you can put it off a little bit & get the work done after Jan 1?

No - our employer does not offer healthcare so I have the 'ACA' - and the dental insurance that is offered they don't even cover dentists in this area. I plan on having it done this year so that I can deduct the medical expenses on this years taxes.

Agreed. Especially after the second time I called him and he told me he would have the estimate to me that day and it was a full seven days before I got the estimate after that. Even if the second guy had come back $600 on our estimate I still would have gone with him just because it made me nervous how long it took the first guy to get in touch with me.

Our neighbors say they have a hard time finding people for small jobs. Dh is very handy so he does our small stuff himself but a lot of neighbors hire him for the little jobs that contractors can't be bothered with. Rotted fascia & exterior window sills, replacing soffits, etc.

I already wrote this in another thread here but hope it helps someone here that won't see the other thread. I was able to cut my cable bill 35 dollars a month for 24 months with a 2 year agreement. Everything is the same exactly the same service. I have Comcast. But whoever you have it might be worth to try. I just called them up and told them I want a cheaper price.

I already wrote this in another thread here but hope it helps someone here that won't see the other thread. I was able to cut my cable bill 35 dollars a month for 24 months with a 2 year agreement. Everything is the same exactly the same service. I have Comcast. But whoever you have it might be worth to try. I just called them up and told them I want a cheaper price.

I do this every 1-2 years when my package is set to expire. I have it marked on my calendar that the package expires in April, so I will be calling a week or so before then and asking for my same price to continue. I pay $66 a month for Blast internet and basic cable through Comcast. I never use the cable, but it is cheaper to have the bundle than paying for the internet alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter