Debt Dumpers - 2017

Hey guys! I have some grad school debt to dump! I have NO credit card debt
Also I am a student pilot so its hard to save and spend what little extra you have on student loans.

Goals for this year---
Saving for a house
paying down grad school-- $35,000 student loan debt
Paying for flight school out of pocket

Hey guys! I have some grad school debt to dump! I have NO credit card debt
Also I am a student pilot so its hard to save and spend what little extra you have on student loans.

Goals for this year---
Saving for a house
paying down grad school-- $35,000 student loan debt
Paying for flight school out of pocket

Welcome to the group! You will find a lot of good advice and support here!

Glad to see everyone making plans for the next year. You are all taking the right steps towards financial success and independence.

If all goes as planned, 2017 will be a banner year for debt reduction for my family. Looking to kill the mortgage by the end of the year, and hopefully our only car loan (might slip into 2018 though, since we still plan to live a little this year and take a vacation to WDW). After that it will all be cash flow expenditures from here on out.

Keep up the great work and enjoy the ride.

Some current events that occurred the last few weeks in the area we moved into 3 months ago has got us thinking of leaving our apartment.

Last month while I was in vegas, my car was broken into. Last week at the toys r us parking lot there was an attempted break in once again and I got robbed. Now today they found a dead body at the apartment dumpster. We are DONE.

I'm so upset that my boyfriend chose this place and after the holidays I plan to start looking around and possibly moving into another place by late January. I can't have this environment for my almost 2 year old.

I still plan on using my tax return to pay off all debt but instead of having some vacation money I'm going to use it for move in costs.

Kymm how is your son doing?

You are all so sweet! DS is doing ok. No new fainting episodes. We went swimming at Kalahari for his bday, he was extremely anxious, but nothing happened. The docs have cleared him until his monitor battery dies. Once that happens he will have the surgery to implant a new device. We are expecting this sometime before the end of June. I am hoping it dies after school lets out, he's already missed so much school between appointments, the flu, strep throat, pink eye and his migraines.

He is getting his braces Dec 27. I was unable to scrape together the $650 I need as the down payment so whatever Christmas money I receive, if any, will go to this and then the rest has to go on a CC. My FSA will pay for the remainder but that's $108 pulled out of each check, last year I only did $45 a check so it will be a bit of an adjustment for me.

I can't wait til February. I need the girls trip so bad. I feel like the last half of 2016 I have been on high alert and on edge waiting for the worst to happen. I am really looking forward to 5 days of being able to relax and unwind without him. I know I will miss him but I need to get away.

Some current events that occurred the last few weeks in the area we moved into 3 months ago has got us thinking of leaving our apartment.

Last month while I was in vegas, my car was broken into. Last week at the toys r us parking lot there was an attempted break in once again and I got robbed. Now today they found a dead body at the apartment dumpster. We are DONE.

I'm so upset that my boyfriend chose this place and after the holidays I plan to start looking around and possibly moving into another place by late January. I can't have this environment for my almost 2 year old.

I still plan on using my tax return to pay off all debt but instead of having some vacation money I'm going to use it for move in costs.

ack! I would be moving too. that's scary.

I am so ready for 2017 debt dumping. Let's see in 2016 in paid off my last student loan, so that's good, but I still have all my consumer debt (about $16,000). My total debt went down $3000 over 2016, which seems small for the amount of work I did, but I had $7000 in unexpected vet bills so the fact that my debt went up by 7K and then ~overall~ down by 3 actually seems really good to me--that's 10K total! I need to think of it like that instead of just as $3000.

also it's like 90% likely I'm moving in with the BF soon and my rent will be less than half it is now, in which case maybe I could get rid of all of it next year? 2017 just has so much potential to be an awesome debt-dumping year. hope I don't mess it up!!

In, please.

2016 was going to be 'the year' to be disciplined about debt but my whim was not met with actual determination to change and now we find ourselves with nearly 20,000 in cc debt. (not all accumulated this year, but my debt went up instead of down) I'm hoping that accountability will help keep me in check.

Hi there, May I join in too? :sunny: We are a family of 5 with one in college now, one starting in 2018, and the last in 2020. I feel like all I do is shell out instead of rake in (just call me the wallet!:sad2:) I've been trying to dump debt, but it's been very difficult to do lately. I hope in 2017 I can decrease our debt load. Our plan is to move to Florida in four years after DS2 graduates high school, at least I will be, not sure if DH will be able to switch jobs and move at that point. Anyway, the less debt we have then the better!

Im in.

Pay down debt :(
save for a down payment on a car
save more toward kids college
Put more into retirement
EAT at home more- money wasted

Eating out really is a killer! This year we really really put effort in to stopping eating out and really did save a ton- my DD12 really got on board with it, we talked about the cost of meals out vs cooking at home and she was very encouraging! It was good to see. We rarely eat out now- most of the food out is so bad for you anyways

Eating out really is a killer! This year we really really put effort in to stopping eating out and really did save a ton- my DD12 really got on board with it, we talked about the cost of meals out vs cooking at home and she was very encouraging! It was good to see. We rarely eat out now- most of the food out is so bad for you anyways

Oh man definitely! Eating out is the number one way we waste money in our household-hopefully I will get one of the new 9-5 jobs I'm applying to-I feel like it will make it a lot easier for my husband and I to stop eating out if we both have a consistent schedule. I don't work nights but I'm currently in retails and I can leave at 5AM some mornings and not get home until 7 some days-makes it SO tempting to get take out! I am really hoping that by not putting myself in a situation where dinner becomes a chore I can cut down on eating out too!

:welcome: to all of our new debt dumpers!! Here's hoping that 2017 is a success for all of us! I agree that eating out takes a huge chunk of my money (that includes Starbucks and stops at the market for sodas and snacks) - small purchases that add up quickly! I'm going to reign that spending in and put the funds toward my debt in 2017!

I've been without a home forum for a while now and signed up today just so I could post in here!

2016 was mostly a good year, bar the last 3 months when the dates of big payments coming in and going out never seemed to match up and we chipped away at any savings we had made.

2017 we have another trip to the US that is half paid for, still need to pay that off by the end of March
SIL announced they're gettng married in Fiji the day we booked our US flights, thankfully that's half paid off, need to pay the rest by Sept.
$2.5k credit card debt we are still carrying, this is our last card and I want it at zero!
Hope to be putting extra onto our mortgage again during the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter