Debt Dumpers - 2017

DH is using a hand-me-down iPhone 4s from my mom. It basically doesn't hold a charge anymore, but he refuses to upgrade. He wants to hold out for the iPhone 8, which is still many, many months away. I also had a hand-me-down 4s upgraded in December to an iPhone 7 using some extra money that I got from contract work. I wanted an unlocked multi-carrier phone so that if we decide to change carriers later, I have that option so I bought the phone directly from Apple and paid for it outright. I was happy to do that rather than make payments for 24 months.

I could have purchased it outright but we are keeping money in the bank for some car repairs and stuff. It is 0% interest though, so I am paying the same. Changing carriers isn't something I considered though.. but we tend to just stick with the same carrier. We had ATT for years and years but switched to Verizon 2 years ago. It is strange, but Verizon has better service, especially on post, but the closest store is in At least 30 minutes from here. But we have an ATT here.. go figure.
Hubs is now talking about upgrading but he doesn't want as much phone as I am getting.. just one with more gigs and longer battery life. He is going to wait awhile and see.

I still feel uncomfortable spending so much money on myself, but I am constantly using my phone and I miss having an iPad and usable iPod. And this option is cheaper than investing in two of those. I always tend to settle and look for the cheapest option.. this is the first time that I have ever just invested in exactly what I wanted. So, I am excited too. It won't get here until Wednesday, I think. I am looking forward to adding the apps I had to take off to save memory. And getting to read again! And downloading some music to exercise to!!

Oh!! I forgot to brag on Hubs!!

He loves indycar stuff and collects these commemorative cars and milk bottles for all the indy500 winners. It can get expensive.

Well, he just got the one for last year's winner for free!

They have this incentive thing at work and you get $5 for every 10 sign ups you can get a customer to do... something like that. The money is put on a reusable visa gift card type thing. Well, he has been saving and saving up on that card and waiting to order until he had enough built up to pay for it!!

The "old him" would have just bought it or put it on a credit card. But he worked hard to build up that incentive bonus to pay for it instead!! :)

Financial update. We did great for February. We hit all of our savings goals and paid off our May cruise vacation in full. We actually had quite a bit left over in our fuel and grocery categories and decided to just let it carry over to this month for extra cushion. The only unexpected expense were the 4 disney park tickets that we bought. 2x 5-day adult park hoppers and 2x 7-day adult park hoppers. We decided to go ahead and get them before they introduced expiring tickets. We used money from our DVC fund to cover the cost, but will be paying it back over the next 5 months from our vacation savings fund. So by July, we will have paid that money back and future vacation savings can accrue for other trips. DH and I both felt it was a smart choice since we will probably save several hundred dollars by buying these tickets now. As DVC owners, we know we will be back to Disney.

I have been playing with our budget for the rest of the year. I anticipate child care expenses starting in January, so it is important for us to think about our spending and savings over the next 10 months to be prepared for the big change in costs. I should be able to take 3 months of maternity leave, fully paid, through a combination of extended sick leave and vacation time. This will allow us to continue with our regular budget between October - January and not have to adjust for any decrease in pay. We are currently saving $500 each month towards baby expenses and so we should have a good cushion by January, even after purchasing everything we need for baby. My car will also be paid off by December. We are currently paying $700 towards it each month, so starting in January, we will shift $250 of that money towards the child care expenses and use the other $450 towards payments on DH's car loan. This would allow us to have DH's car paid off within 18 months or so from January, giving us more flexibility in terms of child care expenses for a second kid later on. And we would get the other $250 by cutting down our vacation savings fund in half each month while paying day care expenses. I am not really accounting for the fact that 1/2 of the child care expenses will come out of a dependent care FSA, since I don't know exactly what that will look like. I expect any extra money we get from the tax benefit will act as a cushion for other baby related expenses.

And I realized that we would still have another $200ish dollars left over starting next month, so DH and I have decided to put that extra money towards my Roth IRA. This will bring our retirement savings rate up to 20%, which has been our goal since we finished paying off our credit card debt last fall. I feel like things are really starting to fall into place. We are setting a good amount of money aside each month for important expenses and future savings, but are still able to have reasonable amounts of money for fun stuff, eating out and travel. This has really been due to YNAB. As a financial tool, it has been the best thing I have ever used.

We will see how the budget goes for the next few months and if necessary, we can make some adjustments later.

Financial update. We did great for February. We hit all of our savings goals and paid off our May cruise vacation in full. We actually had quite a bit left over in our fuel and grocery categories and decided to just let it carry over to this month for extra cushion. The only unexpected expense were the 4 disney park tickets that we bought. 2x 5-day adult park hoppers and 2x 7-day adult park hoppers. We decided to go ahead and get them before they introduced expiring tickets. We used money from our DVC fund to cover the cost, but will be paying it back over the next 5 months from our vacation savings fund. So by July, we will have paid that money back and future vacation savings can accrue for other trips. DH and I both felt it was a smart choice since we will probably save several hundred dollars by buying these tickets now. As DVC owners, we know we will be back to Disney.

I have been playing with our budget for the rest of the year. I anticipate child care expenses starting in January, so it is important for us to think about our spending and savings over the next 10 months to be prepared for the big change in costs. I should be able to take 3 months of maternity leave, fully paid, through a combination of extended sick leave and vacation time. This will allow us to continue with our regular budget between October - January and not have to adjust for any decrease in pay. We are currently saving $500 each month towards baby expenses and so we should have a good cushion by January, even after purchasing everything we need for baby. My car will also be paid off by December. We are currently paying $700 towards it each month, so starting in January, we will shift $250 of that money towards the child care expenses and use the other $450 towards payments on DH's car loan. This would allow us to have DH's car paid off within 18 months or so from January, giving us more flexibility in terms of child care expenses for a second kid later on. And we would get the other $250 by cutting down our vacation savings fund in half each month while paying day care expenses. I am not really accounting for the fact that 1/2 of the child care expenses will come out of a dependent care FSA, since I don't know exactly what that will look like. I expect any extra money we get from the tax benefit will act as a cushion for other baby related expenses.

And I realized that we would still have another $200ish dollars left over starting next month, so DH and I have decided to put that extra money towards my Roth IRA. This will bring our retirement savings rate up to 20%, which has been our goal since we finished paying off our credit card debt last fall. I feel like things are really starting to fall into place. We are setting a good amount of money aside each month for important expenses and future savings, but are still able to have reasonable amounts of money for fun stuff, eating out and travel. This has really been due to YNAB. As a financial tool, it has been the best thing I have ever used.

We will see how the budget goes for the next few months and if necessary, we can make some adjustments later.
I never did the math, when are you due?

Well looks like that stove purchase is happening sooner than I thought... my in-laws are on their way here and DH was cooking lunch when sparks begin flying out of one of the knobs to one of the broken burners!!! It flipped the breaker to the stove. We turned it back on after a few and it seemed fine, but then it did it again after a couple minutes. So now it's totally off and I guess we're going out to lunch and going to look at stoves... I can't imagine HH Gregg has anything on sale already but I know they are running an appliance sale right now anyways. May check our local scratch and dent and Lowes too, since we do have a 5% off credit card with them. Was hoping we could really get a good deal towards the end of the month, but kind of hard to save money by cooking at home when you don't have a stove!
Did you find a stove?

DH is using a hand-me-down iPhone 4s from my mom. It basically doesn't hold a charge anymore, but he refuses to upgrade. He wants to hold out for the iPhone 8, which is still many, many months away. I also had a hand-me-down 4s upgraded in December to an iPhone 7 using some extra money that I got from contract work. I wanted an unlocked multi-carrier phone so that if we decide to change carriers later, I have that option so I bought the phone directly from Apple and paid for it outright. I was happy to do that rather than make payments for 24 months.

I really wish we had purchased unlocked phones directly from Apple but DD20 convinced her Dad that getting the phones from Verizon on the installment plan was a better option (for her). Now we are locked into an obscenely high contract for two years. I was at work of course when they made this decision.

Contractor came to pick up deposit-50 percent ($1500) today.We'll pay the rest upon completion of the job. We had to special order the laminate as the store didn't have 23 boxes of the materials. As soon as that comes in, he'll start the work.

In other news, I see our $600 state refund was approved and should be deposited on 3/9. I also should be getting a $50 refund from Costco since I barely used our executive membership.

We have a quick trip to the Poconos planned later in the week,so the extra money will come in handy. We're spending two nights at Great Wolf Lodge.

We set aside a portion of our taxes for a dishwasher (4 years of hand washing was enough!) and my BIL helped us install it to save money. (Had to rip out cabinets, run electrical and plumbing). Now, what is the most cost-effective dishwasher detergent out there?

Did you find a stove?

Yes! We went to the Sears Outlet in our city and a very helpful salesman found us a stainless steel convection oven in no time. Who cares if it was a floor model, right? I certainly don't for $450 off the list price! We went back and forth on whether to get another convection oven since it does add to the cost, but we paid $650 for the oven including delivery and they haul our old oven away. I certainly can't complain about that. It will be delivered Friday so we just have to make it through the week. We do have an electric griddle so we're going to try to cook as much as we can on that and avoid take-out this week. We did get Chinese takeout Saturday night after buying the oven, but we usually do that once a month anyways. Plus, I knew we would have plenty of leftovers from it so we could stretch that out with not having a proper oven or stove this week.

Both federal returns have deposited and have been sent straight to debt, about $1450. One of those "if you blink you'll miss it" things in our banking account since it was in and out so fast!

Other than the emergency oven purchase, which we have the money for regardless, it was a pretty frugal weekend in our house. My in-laws delivered our new-to-us lawnmower on Saturday. It needs a new battery since it's been sitting for a while, but my mom thinks she can get us one pretty cheap through her work. Either way, an excellent deal on a lawnmower for the cost of a new battery and one other small plastic part! I also went by Target Friday night to use their $15 off $50 household items coupon and stocked up on toilet paper, paper towels, and dish detergent. The paper towels will probably last us a year since we seldom use them.

I also received a $40 check from my health insurance Saturday. I literally have no idea what it's for, but I'll take it!

I had been using a hand-me-down 4s from my son for a couple years (wouldn't hold a charge). I am on a prepaid plan and decided to upgrade. I found a 5s refurbished for $169 through my carrier so I upgraded. I was able to get a 64 gb which is 48 gb more than I had. :-)

A couple weeks ago I was looking on my carrier's site again and they had the iphone 6 128gb for $199. I tried to get my son to upgrade with his birthday money but he didn't want to yet. They also had the 6s for $289 and had the 128gb. He decided Friday to look and they are sold out of those. Grrr!! I like the fact that any size in refurbished is the same price!! 16gb is the same price as 128gb.

Yes! We went to the Sears Outlet in our city and a very helpful salesman found us a stainless steel convection oven in no time. Who cares if it was a floor model, right? I certainly don't for $450 off the list price! We went back and forth on whether to get another convection oven since it does add to the cost, but we paid $650 for the oven including delivery and they haul our old oven away. I certainly can't complain about that. It will be delivered Friday so we just have to make it through the week. We do have an electric griddle so we're going to try to cook as much as we can on that and avoid take-out this week. We did get Chinese takeout Saturday night after buying the oven, but we usually do that once a month anyways. Plus, I knew we would have plenty of leftovers from it so we could stretch that out with not having a proper oven or stove this week.

Both federal returns have deposited and have been sent straight to debt, about $1450. One of those "if you blink you'll miss it" things in our banking account since it was in and out so fast!

Other than the emergency oven purchase, which we have the money for regardless, it was a pretty frugal weekend in our house. My in-laws delivered our new-to-us lawnmower on Saturday. It needs a new battery since it's been sitting for a while, but my mom thinks she can get us one pretty cheap through her work. Either way, an excellent deal on a lawnmower for the cost of a new battery and one other small plastic part! I also went by Target Friday night to use their $15 off $50 household items coupon and stocked up on toilet paper, paper towels, and dish detergent. The paper towels will probably last us a year since we seldom use them.

I also received a $40 check from my health insurance Saturday. I literally have no idea what it's for, but I'll take it!
Glad it all worked out.

I did the exact same thing last week. I went to Target and used the $15 off $50 to stock up on toilet paper. We were running very low, which is pretty unusual for us. But we now have enough to last us at least 6 months. And I even used a gift card that I bought in December for 10% off, so it didn't come out of our regular budget. Funny the things that make me happy sometimes.

Feb Update:

Savings are on plan, there were a few unexpected expenses but nothing that my buffer didn't cover.

I brought my dog to the vet to see what was wrong and it turned out that she was nesting, she isn't pregnant and has never been so the vet had to call another older vet to confirm. She has a hormonal imbalance with means her body is tricking her into thinking that she's pregnant. She's acting normal again thank god and doesn't seem to be largely affected by it other then still being pretty clingy. The vets put her on some hormones and we have to return next month to check what her level is like.

Other then that nothing to report. I'm down to about €300 owed so that should be down in 5 weeks, after that its full steam ahead to save for my October trip. WDW hauls have been getting me through not buying things because I think of all the things I know I'll want :rotfl:

I did the exact same thing last week. I went to Target and used the $15 off $50 to stock up on toilet paper. We were running very low, which is pretty unusual for us. But we now have enough to last us at least 6 months. And I even used a gift card that I bought in December for 10% off, so it didn't come out of our regular budget. Funny the things that make me happy sometimes.

Yes! I used the $5 for $10 Target gift card from Groupon I got too. I considered it a serious win haha.

We also went into Kohl's yesterday because I threw on DH's tennis shoes to run out to my car the other night and discovered that the soles had worn completely through but he was just continuing to wear them*. We found him new Nikes at Kohl's but noticed the price on the box ($64.95) wasn't matching up with the price on the model shoe ($45). I carried the model shoe up front and the cashier said it looked like the model shoe had been incorrectly marked, but they would give them to us for that price since it was that fault. That plus a $5 off coupon meant new Nikes for DH for $40! They're nice looking shoes too.

* What is it with men that they refuse to get rid of underwear, socks, and tennis shoes with holes in them? It's like they think they'll never be able to buy them again. Also, tags in the shirts. Why does everything have to be tagless?!:sad2:

* What is it with men that they refuse to get rid of underwear, socks, and tennis shoes with holes in them? It's like they think they'll never be able to buy them again. Also, tags in the shirts. Why does everything have to be tagless?!:sad2:

DH gets upset sometimes when something goes through the wash with holes and I just throw it out. I told him that if he won't do it then he can just be grumpy with me when I do.

And when I first met DH, he had 2 pairs of shoes and one of them was seriously terrible. I got him some nice Salomon hiking shoes for our honeymoon plus he bought nice Cole Haan shoes for the wedding. He realized the virtue of having the proper shoe for any activity. Now he has many, many pairs and we can't go to Nordstrom rack without him finding a new pair.

Ok, speaking as a guy, I get rid of underwear and socks as soon as I suspect there is a hole that shouldn't be there appearing. Tennis shoes, on the other hand, I prefer holey comfort to breaking in a new pair and aching feet any day and every day. As for the tags on shirts, they just itch for no reason.

note to self: do your taxes

Last week I splurged on the new beauty and the beast le creuset pot at william sonoma. I shouldn't have, it's super expensive and now I'm going to struggle a bit to get through March, but it will last my entire life and it's so pretty and I have been so good at not buying myself things. Counting down the weeks til I move to a cheaper place. Knowing that I'm moving somewhere much cheaper helps me justify it a little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter