Debt Dumpers - 2019

20190525_100708.jpg20190525_100714.jpg
Just got back from Texas and am so ready to just go to bed lol. We had a good trip and it was so great to finally see my bff! I can't believe when I see her in 2 months she will have a baby. I don't think we spent nearly as much money as we usually do this trip, but I'm not sure since I haven't looked at my account. I think we spent roughly $200. My bff also surprised me with the attached dooney! I've never seen the movie, but it's a super cute wristlet and she knows I love Disney and dooney.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

balanced the checkbook and looked at the may spending. MAY WAS AWFUL!!! beyond a couple of bigger expenses we kind of knew we had coming it was a matter of all the stuff that i space on until it hits us around this time each year-refills for the mosquito lamps, lump charcoal for the big green egg, odds and ends of lawn and gardening supplies....add in a few odds and ends of yard related stuff that needed 'minor' parts for repairs (here $100, there $100) and it adds up QUICK.

i'm making a note on the budget for 2020 to start throwing a few bucks each month into the household rollover so that when the same expenses come up NEXT may it won't be so shocking.

Oh and I forgot to add:
Aladdin on "broadway" - wasn't the biggest fan of the play/musical. Too many added songs that didnt need to be there. Too many songs that seemed to go on forever. And it varied to much from the original for my liking. The biggest saving grace for it was genie, he was absolutely hysterical. The show reminded me of the Aladdin show that used to be at California adventure (dca)

Aladdin: the live action movie - I LOVED this movie. It was just the right amount of original movie and new movie. I also loved will Smith as genie and I think he was the perfect guy for the role.

This is totally random, but I know this came up a bit ago on this thread and I wanted to share.

I made a reservation at Great Wolf Lodge for July for my son's birthday. They now allow you to purchase "insurance" (mine was $25 for a 2 night stay) that allows you to cancel by midnight 2 days before arrival with a full refund of the deposit. This is a great new offering since the deposit on those reservations can be really high and is nonrefundable if you have to cancel.
Yes, I saw that now as an option, glad they added it. I actually booked GWL Williamsburg last week for a two day trip this summer after school is out and saw they were doing that. Wish I would have done it over the 60 day discount window. We have no other plans this summer. I figured this time, with it being summer our schedule is a little more flexible or should I say guaranteed we are going unless (knock on wood) something terrible happens, so I didn't get it. We went during school winter break last time for two nights, but I was so up in the air if it was going to happen then for some different reasons, I could have used that then! The deposit was high as it typically is, that's the one thing I hate about making reservations with them! They say one night deposit, but it's certainly more that I paid. But, I can also say at least when I get there I have so much less to pay!
While the deposit is non-refundable, GWL will allow you to reschedule your reservation and use that deposit towards it. I have done it a couple of times when I booked a Feb trip and then DH decides that we should wait and I move it to the summer, etc.

I just booked GWL Williamsburg for 2 nights in July followed by 5 nights at the Courtyard in VA Beach using Marriott points for one of our summer vacations. The rate was pretty reasonable as I just made the greater than 60 day window and booked a Sun and Mon night which is cheaper than the weekend.

We
Wow- I was going through Disboard withdrawal. They look awesome now and I can't wait to explore!

It's been quite a week here. I started feeling sick on Sunday and by Monday I was really feeling poorly. I probably should have called out but I knew I was going to be out Wednesday and Friday. At 8:20- ten minutes into my first class my mom texted me that my grandmother passed away. She was my dad's mom and while we weren't close at all I feel bad for my dad. I don't have a family member on my side within 1500 miles of me and the whole clan (which will total about six people!!) will be descending on me because she is going to be buried near where I live. It's very stressful because my parents don't handle stress well and they have to drive because they refuse to fly. At least everyone is staying in a hotel. I haven't seen my uncle since my wedding day in 1996! I only have three cousins and I don't think any of them are making the trip. Gonna be one empty cathedral.

DD's wrist still hurts but I think it is getting better. She is officially done with high school!! She has graduation practice on Wednesday and I had to call the school to make sure they would let her go to get home in time to change to get to the funeral. Should be OK. She has her awards ceremony Wednesday along with her Baccalaureate Mass on Friday. Graduation is Monday, June 3rd. The only thing she has asked for is a yard sign- found a super cute one at Party City and she is happy with it.

I can tell I am stressed because I am spending money like it is going out of style. I went to Kohl’s on Wednesday and spent $130 and took DD to DSW for graduation shoes that cost $60. I had been promising her that we could go to Boscov’s and the mall. Spent close to $400. I rationalize it by the fact she wore a uniform from preK-12 and really does need clothes. Plus with her going to school in Florida she needs more summer clothes than winter! She also went grocery shopping with me and helped me spend $40 over budget. At least she will stop asking me what to eat for lunch and dinner.

The other thing I spend money on this week was I decided that I simply had to ride Hagrid’s new coaster. We are going to do a quick trip to Universal and stay at the Royal Pacific for two nights. For the discount I got on the room I have to buy her an annual pass. I’m not sure if I will get one or just a ticket. Decisions decisions.

I don’t want to hurry up time but I am really looking forward to this week being over with.
We are going to Universal in June and staying at Royal Pacific! We are over the moon excited to ride Hagrid's Motorbike. DS12 won't let me watch the video of it so that can be a surprise but what little I have seen and read, it is going to be AMAZING!

Now those of you that have seen Aladdin make me want to go see it! However, I think our next few weeks are so busy even on weekends (we are still in school here and weekend activities) I can't squeeze it in so-holding out for Secret Life of Pets 2! My youngest is quite excited to go see this, I hadn't planned on it but guess we are going!

While the deposit is non-refundable, GWL will allow you to reschedule your reservation and use that deposit towards it. I have done it a couple of times when I booked a Feb trip and then DH decides that we should wait and I move it to the summer, etc.

I just booked GWL Williamsburg for 2 nights in July followed by 5 nights at the Courtyard in VA Beach using Marriott points for one of our summer vacations. The rate was pretty reasonable as I just made the greater than 60 day window and booked a Sun and Mon night which is cheaper than the weekend.
Yes, it is good about shifting dates if needed. How funny, we almost were doing this exact thing (well for less days) also considering GWL followed by VA Beach! I've never been to VA Beach. But, we ended up with deciding on just GWL and squeezing in Williamsburg. It seems like Williamsburg itself could be a good two day trip, but my kids likely won't be interested in half of it, certainly not any museum type stuff, so I think for our situation a day will suffice. I think they'll most like to check out the axe throwing and the muskets, though neither is old enough to shoot muskets so not sure if they'll even be able to see it, and only one is old enough for the axe throwing according to the ages posted on the information site. But yes, going to GWL on weekdays vs weekends seems much cheaper! Unfortunately, we are ending up going over a weekend and an extra day off for DH, still was able to use a discount code though not the 60 day advance one.

Yes, I am aware of this option as I have used it in the past. However, we booked a 2 room suite since my sister and nephew are joining us, and just the deposit ($652) was more than the total of my last 2 stays there. So, in the event that we need to cancel, I'd rather just get the money back this time. We usually stay when it's well under $200/night. Our base room rate this time is $549.99. I'm making an exception since it's my son's birthday and my sister is contributing half.

Hey there just checking in. I’ve spent tons of money on food this weekend to make sure family coming in for graduation has plenty to eat. Call it the Jewish mother curse, lol, you never think you have enough food.
Nope. I'm zero percent Jewish and I spent SO MUCH MONEY on the graduation party food. Maybe it's the Scarlet O'Hara syndrome? "And I'll never be hungry again!"
(snip)...lump charcoal for the big green egg...
Wait, what?

Wrestled a migraine this weekend. Lots o' stuff to manage this week. Thank goodness for Captain Caffeine, great giver of energy and reducer of headaches.

my utilization is 0% when it should be over 1% (I'm supposing this is from paying off my statement in full before it's due-a reason not to?),

If you are paying your CC balance before the balance posts, then you will show no utilization on the cards on which you are doing that. You should let your monthly statement post and then pay the bill.

The motorcycle is officially gone! I thought my husband would change his mind at the last minute and decide not to sell, but he ended up going through with it. My original plan was to save $1000 and spending $500, but I think it's going to end up being more like we save $750 and spend ~$750 (depending on if he finds a PSP or not, he didn't have any luck this weekend).

Maybe you can convince your husband that a PSP is a complete waste of money. It was EOLed in 2014 and at this point is a 15 year old platform. It's completely obsolete. If dead set on it, he can probably find one on ebay for around $80. They're all going to claim they work and come with "brand new" batteries, but I'd be skeptical about the battery life. It is still possible to buy after-market batteries for the PSP, but many reviews claim they don't fit properly. It seems like something that's just going to be a big headache.

Maybe you can convince your husband that a PSP is a complete waste of money. It was EOLed in 2014 and at this point is a 15 year old platform. It's completely obsolete. If dead set on it, he can probably find one on ebay for around $80. They're all going to claim they work and come with "brand new" batteries, but I'd be skeptical about the battery life. It is still possible to buy after-market batteries for the PSP, but many reviews claim they don't fit properly. It seems like something that's just going to be a big headache.

Unfortunately he already bought one and he did end up paying $80 for it. You are completely right on the battery though, it's a piece of junk. He's mostly happy with his purchase which is all that matters in the end. I think he's going to get a new battery for it, so we'll see if that makes a difference or not.

Meh.

Personally, my boyfriend loves his old tech and games. Still regularly uses his psp, vita, DS, gamecube, etc.

One persons waste is another persons hobby!

We

We are going to Universal in June and staying at Royal Pacific! We are over the moon excited to ride Hagrid's Motorbike. DS12 won't let me watch the video of it so that can be a surprise but what little I have seen and read, it is going to be AMAZING!
I loved Royal Pacific! Have fun!

So now that DH and I have put our deposit down for our Nov 2020 cruise, we're talking about adding on 1.5-2 days at WDW. (Our cruise leaves from Port Canveral.) I find the WDW boards to be a little overwhelming for someone who hasn't been before, so thought i'd ask for some recommendations here. :) Our tentative plan is to take a red-eye flight from CA to Orlando on Wednesday night (11/11/20-which is also my bday) and arrive in Orlando early Thursday AM. We would then spend some time in 2 parks (TBD) on Thursday and Friday before we leave on the cruise on Saturday. I need some recommendations on the WDW hotels. I don't want anything overly expensive (maybe max of $200/night?), but I also want the transportation to be easy to use since this will be completely new to us. At the time we are going, it should also be Christmastime and I debated getting tickets to the Christmas party if it falls one of the two nights we'll be there. Are the parties worth it? Do you have access to the whole park or just certain areas? We will more than likely not opt for park-hoppers and instead just do 2-day 1-park per day tickets.

Obviously we don't want to go into increased debt with adding a few days in the parks, so any other helpful hints or tips would be great! I'd appreciate suggestions! Or if there's a "WDW newbie" thread, i'd appreciate the link to it!

So now that DH and I have put our deposit down for our Nov 2020 cruise, we're talking about adding on 1.5-2 days at WDW. (Our cruise leaves from Port Canveral.) I find the WDW boards to be a little overwhelming for someone who hasn't been before, so thought i'd ask for some recommendations here. :) Our tentative plan is to take a red-eye flight from CA to Orlando on Wednesday night (11/11/20-which is also my bday) and arrive in Orlando early Thursday AM. We would then spend some time in 2 parks (TBD) on Thursday and Friday before we leave on the cruise on Saturday. I need some recommendations on the WDW hotels. I don't want anything overly expensive (maybe max of $200/night?), but I also want the transportation to be easy to use since this will be completely new to us. At the time we are going, it should also be Christmastime and I debated getting tickets to the Christmas party if it falls one of the two nights we'll be there. Are the parties worth it? Do you have access to the whole park or just certain areas? We will more than likely not opt for park-hoppers and instead just do 2-day 1-park per day tickets.

Obviously we don't want to go into increased debt with adding a few days in the parks, so any other helpful hints or tips would be great! I'd appreciate suggestions! Or if there's a "WDW newbie" thread, i'd appreciate the link to it!
Getting in that late, I would recommend just staying the night right there at Hyatt at the airport so you can just grab your bags and go check in for the night. If you have Chase URs (you can transfer directly to Hyatt) or Hyatt points, it is 12k for the night. Then on early Thurs morning, go downstairs give Disney your bags and take the DME to your resort. For $200, you can get a room at one of value resorts (All Star or Pop) or potentially a moderate. You could either use a service to get to PC or rent a car one way (I, personally, would opt for a service rather than the hassle of returning a rental.)

We are taking the Harmony of the Seas out of PC in March but we are probably doing 2 nights at Universal before our cruise since we have APs. We will use a service to get there and back to the airport on our return.

Have a terrific time! (Off to look at the cruise ship, I know Carnival has been upping their game in the ships.)

Getting in that late, I would recommend just staying the night right there at Hyatt at the airport so you can just grab your bags and go check in for the night. If you have Chase URs (you can transfer directly to Hyatt) or Hyatt points, it is 12k for the night. Then on early Thurs morning, go downstairs give Disney your bags and take the DME to your resort. For $200, you can get a room at one of value resorts (All Star or Pop) or potentially a moderate. You could either use a service to get to PC or rent a car one way (I, personally, would opt for a service rather than the hassle of returning a rental.)

We are taking the Harmony of the Seas out of PC in March but we are probably doing 2 nights at Universal before our cruise since we have APs. We will use a service to get there and back to the airport on our return.

Have a terrific time! (Off to look at the cruise ship, I know Carnival has been upping their game in the ships.)

Thanks for the input! I've never been on RC, hope you guys have a great time! I'd love to go to Universal Orlando, but I would definitely need more time than we have allotted with this trip. I'm definitely looking forward to the new Carnival Mardi Gras!

along the same lines but when you return home. in our experience the cruise lines get you to the airport much earlier than any decently priced return flights to california so rather than killing several hours we would get a day rate at the hyatt and chill there. we would check in, grab a shower (vs rushing to take one at the tush crack of dawn when the cruises are herding you off) and kick back for a nap/watch some tv.

keep in mind for the arrival day/next that you WILL be tired, the time change will make it seem off and that will be a crowded holiday weekend (been there around vets day in years past-everyone who doesn't want to deal with the thanksgiving/christmas crowds pull their kids from school for a couple of days to make a long weekend out of it when it times out right-as it will in 2020). nice time of year to go though-feels like northern california in the spring/early summer.

along the same lines but when you return home. in our experience the cruise lines get you to the airport much earlier than any decently priced return flights to california so rather than killing several hours we would get a day rate at the hyatt and chill there. we would check in, grab a shower (vs rushing to take one at the tush crack of dawn when the cruises are herding you off) and kick back for a nap/watch some tv.

keep in mind for the arrival day/next that you WILL be tired, the time change will make it seem off and that will be a crowded holiday weekend (been there around vets day in years past-everyone who doesn't want to deal with the thanksgiving/christmas crowds pull their kids from school for a couple of days to make a long weekend out of it when it times out right-as it will in 2020). nice time of year to go though-feels like northern california in the spring/early summer.

Thanks for the tips! I'm fully prepared to be tired when we arrive in FL which is why I don't expect us to really get a whole lot done that first day and i'm ok with that. Good to know we should hopefully have some decent weather. It's driving me crazy since I want to be able to actually make all these reservations now, but we're still a bit too early to make any actual plans.

Is the Hyatt near the airport or the cruise terminal?

Thanks for the tips! I'm fully prepared to be tired when we arrive in FL which is why I don't expect us to really get a whole lot done that first day and i'm ok with that. Good to know we should hopefully have some decent weather. It's driving me crazy since I want to be able to actually make all these reservations now, but we're still a bit too early to make any actual plans.

Is the Hyatt near the airport or the cruise terminal?
The Hyatt is actually onsite at the airport. We have gotten a day room also when we came back from our DCL Cruises. It was nice to relax by the pool and use the room when our flight didn’t leave until 7 pm or so. The pool overlooks the runaways so you can watch the planes.

I think a day room runs around $100 but it was worth it for us since we had DS with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter