Debt Dumpers - 2019

We went through this too when my FIL died, except that dh’s sister (and executor) was spending FIL’s $ and living in his home. Things didn’t get rolling until over a year after his death when one of dh’s brothers threatened to sue.
It wasn’t my family and didn’t want to add to dh’s turmoil so I stayed out of it. It all worked out in the end. The house sold in a week.
This. Cousin's mom (DH's aunt) is living in the house while the trust pays for it. Grandma made sure for the last several years of her life that everything would go smoothly after she passed. Well...it never does. Out of town cousins showed up for the service and LITERALLY stole stuff from the house, including things that belonged to my DH's deceased father. It was sick and heartbreaking. Maybe this is why cousin is dragging her feet. Or who knows. I'm ready to wash my hands of all of the nonsense and so is DH.

Anyhoo, thanks for letting me vent. Unfortunate business.

Found another 0% transfer offer with a 0 fee: https://www.unionbank.com/personal-banking/loans-lines-credit/credit-cards/union-bank-visa-card.jsp

A tad frustrated about DH's inheritance. Cousin is dragging her feet. Five months now. There was a trust and a will, but she's got a million excuses. Not like we're using this money to go hog wild. And it's put me in an awkward situation to ask twice if she needs any help. "No, waiting on a phone call." "No, waiting on the tax I.D. number." Don't know what else to do than to wait. I just want to be that much more closer to being debt free. Grandma would be so upset if she knew this was happening.

i executed 2 estates-1 w/a trust, 1 w/a will. WORST EXPERIENCES OF MY LIFE-WOULD NOT WISH IT ON MY WORST ENEMY (it's why dh and i are going to pay out the nose and arrange for a private company to execute/manage our will/trusts so we don't have to put anyone we care about through it).

despite having everything in order in both estates-it took over a year to figure out the bills (esp. taxes) in order to disburse monies. it takes an act of god to get information from some sources-others never will provide it (medical bills are a nightmare b/c even though someone is dead their former insurance company won't give you straight info. to figure out what the deal is/government pensions aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! never got any information just had to tell everyone to make application for the life insurance benefit and whoever had been listed as beneficiary we assume received it b/c she didn't name the estate).

your cousin has a fiduciary responsibility and you can complain to the courts if she's not sticking to it-a letter from an attorney on your behalf may cause her to sit up and take notice OR turn over the duties to a successor.

I am into month six from when my father's filed in probate. In general, the only thing that annoys me from the process is the lack of the executor telling anyone anything, but yet not surprising. I debated hiring an attorney on behalf of my siblings and myself to fight her, but, felt the end result would be me paying more in attorney fees than anything worthwhile.

the other issue is likely (esp. if it's a trust) all the executor's legal fees will come out of the estate so you are essentially paying for it twice.

This. Cousin's mom (DH's aunt) is living in the house while the trust pays for it. Grandma made sure for the last several years of her life that everything would go smoothly after she passed. Well...it never does. Out of town cousins showed up for the service and LITERALLY stole stuff from the house, including things that belonged to my DH's deceased father. It was sick and heartbreaking. Maybe this is why cousin is dragging her feet. Or who knows. I'm ready to wash my hands of all of the nonsense and so is DH.

i would call a lawyer for a free consultation to see what the deal is in the state the estate is in. it could be that a complaint could be filed w/the courts.

the other issue is likely (esp. if it's a trust) all the executor's legal fees will come out of the estate so you are essentially paying for it twice.
True, I also thought of that, the executor fees. It's not in a trust, mainly what was there was real estate, which was co-owned, life insurance which didn't have to probate, and then a lot of bank accounts. He had a lot of various bank accounts all over, the will has over 12, left over thinking from the Depression era I'm sure he liked nothing in one place. Our executor is related to us, not even going down that road as it was a sticky situation with my mother from their divorce, of course now that she has dementia she no longer even remembers her, so that's why we just want to be over and done.

Student loan payment went up $100, ugh. Have had a really bad case of tennis elbow lately. Did acupuncture twice and it is finally getting better but man it sucks. The tennis elbow pain has made me really lazy so I haven't accomplished anything. Hoping to feel better this weekend and do some spring cleaning and work on the budget. Patiently (more like impatiently) waiting to see if any discounts come out for Disney in December.

Grrrrr.... even though I SPECIFICALLY called and asked if the payout amount on my student loan website was correct through May 10 (next payment date) and was assured that it was, I see that there is now an extra $2.xx interest on my account as "final payoff amount." :sad2::sad2: Not worth it to argue over $2 but that's irritating.

I feel like we spent a ton of money this month even though we're not over budget and did pretty well on restaurants and very well on groceries. We're out of town this Saturday and Sunday, so I know we will eat out for those meals. DH has done a lot better with eating out of the freezer this month, since his favorite thing to do is stare at our half full fridge and say we have nothing to eat even though the freezer is slam full of meat! We pulled chicken, hamburger, and pork chops all out of the freezer over the last week. I will need to pick up some stuff for lunches, but I'll probably save that shopping trip until next Monday when we're back from out of town.

Ugh. You're all reminding me that I probably need to recertify my income for my student loan sometime soon.

Grrrrr.... even though I SPECIFICALLY called and asked if the payout amount on my student loan website was correct through May 10 (next payment date) and was assured that it was, I see that there is now an extra $2.xx interest on my account as "final payoff amount." :sad2::sad2: Not worth it to argue over $2 but that's irritating.
That happened to us when we paid off our home equity loan early. We had a $6 interest charge the next month. What's the point of giving a payoff amount if it really isn't the amount?

That happened to us when we paid off our home equity loan early. We had a $6 interest charge the next month. What's the point of giving a payoff amount if it really isn't the amount?

Seriously! And obnoxiously, they charge you 99 cents to make a one-time, non-auto payment :sad2: So I guess I'll make the payment and then cancel my monthly payment. I'm afraid they'll take the full payment for my monthly payment and then I'll have to try to battle with them to get a refund.

Seriously! And obnoxiously, they charge you 99 cents to make a one-time, non-auto payment :sad2: So I guess I'll make the payment and then cancel my monthly payment. I'm afraid they'll take the full payment for my monthly payment and then I'll have to try to battle with them to get a refund.
After we had that last payment, which I think I just did as a transfer because my bank held the loan, we then got a $15 refund check mailed back to us. Go figure!

I'm seeing it at 7! I'm already so tired because I worked out before work. Here's hoping I don't pass out haha

I'm seeing it at 6:30 and I feel you! I have to be up at 4am tomorrow to catch a flight for work. I'm pretty sure i'll be running on fumes tomorrow haha.

The movie is three hours long, wow! I'm waiting for streaming, wonder when that'll be out? Probably November!

Possibly by the end of the year, i'd think the blu-ray/dvd would be out by then at least. Don't forget starting in November, Disney will launch it's own streaming service.

I'm seeing it at 6:30 and I feel you! I have to be up at 4am tomorrow to catch a flight for work. I'm pretty sure i'll be running on fumes tomorrow haha.
I'll be there at 7 p.m. (PST). No spoilers from this chick! And I'm hoping that no one else pulls a "Star Wars The Force Awakens": we were walking out of the theatre (my family and I) and the group of three dudes to the right of us were chatting away about it. I was annoyed because we were coming up on the line for the next show, all waiting just like we had. One guy blurts out, "And I can't believe that he killed Han!"

And he was promptly sucker punched in the face by the HUGE man who was first in line to go in. I didn't feel sorry for the victim, either.

I'll be there at 7 p.m. (PST). No spoilers from this chick! And I'm hoping that no one else pulls a "Star Wars The Force Awakens": we were walking out of the theatre (my family and I) and the group of three dudes to the right of us were chatting away about it. I was annoyed because we were coming up on the line for the next show, all waiting just like we had. One guy blurts out, "And I can't believe that he killed Han!"

And he was promptly sucker punched in the face by the HUGE man who was first in line to go in. I didn't feel sorry for the victim, either.

OMG! That's funny and horrible all at the same time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter