Debt Dumpers 2020

Our stimulus money was deposited yesterday. I put $400 towards one of the credit cards and moved the rest to our Ally Savings account. Hopefully it will go towards one of our many home improvement projects later in the year. Of DD’s $500, I put $250 into her 529 account. Keeping the other $250 on hand in case we get the opportunity to do fun activities with her this summer.

In other budget news, it looks like DH’s hospital visit will cost in the region of $2800. I always expect the worst so this doesn’t seem that terrible in comparison. He was approved for an AmEx Card which has a 12 month 0% APR so we’ll put the hospital bills on that and pay off before the interest free period is up.

Little budgetary wins for the week: our electric bill is down slightly this month (warmer weather slightly combatting the fact that we are running our dishwasher and washing machine non-stop), we are getting a small refund on our car insurance, and planet fitness is not charging monthly fees while they are closed (it’s been so long since we went to the gym We really should cancel outright but I’m always full of good intentions).

Our stimulus money was deposited yesterday. I put $400 towards one of the credit cards and moved the rest to our Ally Savings account. Hopefully it will go towards one of our many home improvement projects later in the year. Of DD’s $500, I put $250 into her 529 account. Keeping the other $250 on hand in case we get the opportunity to do fun activities with her this summer.

In other budget news, it looks like DH’s hospital visit will cost in the region of $2800. I always expect the worst so this doesn’t seem that terrible in comparison. He was approved for an AmEx Card which has a 12 month 0% APR so we’ll put the hospital bills on that and pay off before the interest free period is up.

Little budgetary wins for the week: our electric bill is down slightly this month (warmer weather slightly combatting the fact that we are running our dishwasher and washing machine non-stop), we are getting a small refund on our car insurance, and planet fitness is not charging monthly fees while they are closed (it’s been so long since we went to the gym We really should cancel outright but I’m always full of good intentions).
See if your hospital offers a payment plan. There should be no interest, and they try to keep payments relatively low. There are no penalties for early pay.

Just bumped our savings up by another $3500 today after our stimulus check posted yesterday.

I also will be getting refunded for my airline ticket to Japan, but my parents paid for that and I need to pay them back. I was going to pay them the money back even if United didn't refund me, so at least I'm not out $1500 of our own money.

I’ll definitely be asking for a payment plan!(currently on one from DD’s RSV hospital stay last year 😖)
Sorry about DD. I don’t know much about RSV other than it is crazy scary. Mine gets paid off in October after 24 months. It is a pain, but my local hospital is a huge research institution with an even “huger” endowment. We figured there was no harm in taking advantage of the payment plan. I realize some serious debt dumpers may disagree.

I’ll definitely be asking for a payment plan!(currently on one from DD’s RSV hospital stay last year 😖)
My hospital rolls the new charges and payment plan into a new payment plan, if that makes sense. They still try to keep payments under $100. We
paid one big amount in 2018 over the $500 or so payment plan trigger amount and then several smaller charges under $200 since then. In theory, if you are a frequent flyer, I think the plans could just keep rolling on forever...

Our stimulus actually became available today in our bank. I meant to say on the weekend I saw it was depositing, with a pending date for today for available. Still was surprised to see it even in pending on the weekend, my bank is usually quiet online on the weekend don't typically see any action even a pending. Stimulus check came in, and wrote another check to the funeral home right out to cover part of the things I need to pay for. Lots to pay for at the moment. More on groceries, a ton less on eating out. My teen is the only one that wants to eat out right now as he is downloading apps for restaurants, lol, and finding free deals for him. He's said he is bored several times over the last few weeks, a statement he's never said in the past, ever. So, yesterday we did Wendy's drive thru for him, he had the app downloaded and we paid on mobile order. Last week we did Taco Bell for him as he said it was a free Taco day. Whatever gets him through sanely during this time!

Probably taking a loss on my airline ticket debacle from April, I'll blame that mess on myself, man I should have waited to the day of flight to make a change, then the statement would have been out as it currently is! Also I am so hoping for Southwest to please extend their current statement to make changes possible for those with summer flights to be able to book through next June 2021. Now that would be completely awesome, it would seriously make my day if it does happen, I need a ray of sunshine lol.

Well, the card may help spread it out so there is that on the positive despite the cost. Or, if you go the hospital payment plan route, whichever works best for you.

Non budget related question for my WDW peeps: if you only had half a day for a park would you choose epcot or animal kingdom and why?

I'm trying to figure out which parks I want to do for our 3 days in November (yes I'm still planning like its going to happen) and our breakdown will be:

Wednesday (arrival at 6 am) - mostly full park day (either epcot or AK)
Thursday - half a park day + Christmas party in the evening (either Epcot or AK)
Friday - full park day (leaning towards MK)

We're not really interested in trying to squeeze in Hollywood studios, unless someone can make a good argument for why we should check it out.

Non budget related question for my WDW peeps: if you only had half a day for a park would you choose epcot or animal kingdom and why?

I'm trying to figure out which parks I want to do for our 3 days in November (yes I'm still planning like its going to happen) and our breakdown will be:

Thursday - half a park day + Christmas party in the evening (either Epcot or AK)

We're not really interested in trying to squeeze in Hollywood studios, unless someone can make a good argument for why we should check it out.

The half day should be at the park you don't want to do the full day at. But I'd do dhs over ak if I was going to cut a park but there's more that I enjoy at dhs. Part of why I like hopping, I can go to ak for a few hours and be done. I'm always trying to move up my fps there because stuff is so spread apart it's hard to do filler stuff without a lot of walking. Thankfully it's tough to be a bug generally has a short wait 😁

The half day should be at the park you don't want to do the full day at. But I'd do dhs over ak if I was going to cut a park but there's more that I enjoy at dhs. Part of why I like hopping, I can go to ak for a few hours and be done. I'm always trying to move up my fps there because stuff is so spread apart it's hard to do filler stuff without a lot of walking. Thankfully it's tough to be a bug generally has a short wait 😁
It's our first trip to WDW so I don't know which park I'd rather do a half day at lol. The only thing that interests me at DHS is Toy Story Land, but it doesn't quite interest me enough to want to use one of our park days over there. Thanks for the input! I was kind of wondering if AK could be sufficiently done in a half day and based on your input it sounds like it possibly could be.

Looking forward to others input as well!

I actually agree with @afan that I'd do HS, but I'm also a huge Star Wars fan, so that has a lot of appeal for me. FWIW though, HS is definitely the smallest of the parks so it's much easier to bounce around it on a half day than some of the other parks.

If you're really not interested in HS though, I would do Epcot. But that's because it's my least favorite haha.

On another note, you know that you can get into MK at 4 for the party, right? You can use that time to ride more stuff in MK as well. Not saying that would be enough time to experience everything there, but would help in seeing more.

I actually agree with @afan that I'd do HS, but I'm also a huge Star Wars fan, so that has a lot of appeal for me. FWIW though, HS is definitely the smallest of the parks so it's much easier to bounce around it on a half day than some of the other parks.

If you're really not interested in HS though, I would do Epcot. But that's because it's my least favorite haha.

On another note, you know that you can get into MK at 4 for the party, right? You can use that time to ride more stuff in MK as well. Not saying that would be enough time to experience everything there, but would help in seeing more.
I do know that, thanks! My original plan was to only do MK during the party, and then we'd be able to hit all 4 parks in 3 days. But then I started thinking I'd rather have another full day at MK since I don't know when we'll get back out to WDW. Maybe I need to go browse through rides/attractions again and see what pops out at me at each park. Hopefully that will help my decision lol.

I do know that, thanks! My original plan was to only do MK during the party, and then we'd be able to hit all 4 parks in 3 days. But then I started thinking I'd rather have another full day at MK since I don't know when we'll get back out to WDW. Maybe I need to go browse through rides/attractions again and see what pops out at me at each park. Hopefully that will help my decision lol.

Yeah the extra hours plus the party still wouldn't be enough to get it all done, but it'll help. If I had to vote to skip one park, it would be Epcot. I just don't find the rides as appealing there, plus there's so much construction going on.

Yeah the extra hours plus the party still wouldn't be enough to get it all done, but it'll help. If I had to vote to skip one park, it would be Epcot. I just don't find the rides as appealing there, plus there's so much construction going on.
Is it weird that one of the reasons I want to go to Epcot is because it's one of the only things I remember from going when I was like 7? Lol. I know I keep saying this is our first trip, and it is as a couple, but I'm considering it my first trip also since I don't remember my actual first trip. I was/am also hoping that the Ratatouille ride will be open by November. I love that movie!

Is it weird that one of the reasons I want to go to Epcot is because it's one of the only things I remember from going when I was like 7? Lol. I know I keep saying this is our first trip, and it is as a couple, but I'm considering it my first trip also since I don't remember my actual first trip. I was/am also hoping that the Ratatouille ride will be open by November. I love that movie!

Oohh yes if rat is open def go to epcot. That ride is so good. Hoping they use thr single rider like paris since it's 3 people per row.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys budget for groceries every month and how many people do you feed? I felt like I was spending a LOT lately, but apparently I'm still under average when I googled it. How do people afford it?!

I have spent a lot more during the pandemic because there is no eating out, no going over to friends' houses for dinner, etc. My March bill grew to $450 for two, and I would like to keep it to $325 a month.
While being a pretty frugal person in most things, I am a sloppy and inefficient grocery shopper which wastes money. I don't check the pantry, I then double buy things, I don't use up what I have first....
So, there is a lot for me to improve upon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter