Debt Dumpers 2021

I'm working on my diet to lose a little more weight, so I'm mainly trying to prep healthy stuff for me to eat for dinners. Mainly stuff the kids won't touch. Lol.

gotcha-i'm doing the same. the easiest 'no one would think to eat it' for me is grilled veggies. i have eggplant and mushrooms in the fridge right now that will last me a few more days. i'm going to the store tomorrow so i'm going to grab some red chard, zucchini and squash. i'll do it up sauted and that will last me the following few days. my son eats chicken but not if i put much in the way of seasoning so i liberally season breasts, grilll 3 or 4 and have several days worth. i've also got some old south beach diet recipes that lend themselves well to making up in containers i can freeze and nuke.

Hubby got home last night and said he decided to go in tonight for a half day, so adding 5 more hours to his overtime and the week just started. Right now he's sitting at 14.5 hours before he even starts his normal shift, which will get him at least 40, if not more because of the holiday weekend. If I base off of just the 14 hours of ot he currently has plus the $500 bonus, this week will be an extra $900 or so. He'll be doing roughly the same next week, so looking at close to an extra $1800 for the check. I think we'll be able to do this 4.5 pay periods, so we're looking at approximately $8000 by the end of October. Add in another $2200 for child tax credits through the end of the year and I'm pretty sure we will be starting the new year out farther ahead than we've ever been.

However, with all that good stuff is the bad stuff. Went out today to get something out of the second vehicle and the battery is dead. Also noticed 2 of the tires need replaced pretty soon. So, thats fun and something I need to deal with tomorrow morning before he goes to work.

So our savings that we built up over the pandemic is slowing going down. Dr. bills for DD are starting to come in. She has had 4 ER visits since Memorial Day weekend and has done 2 rounds of therapy (1 PT for her ankle and 1 vestibular for her concussion) plus many doctor appointments. Thankfully my insurance has covered all put one of the visits. I am fighting with the hospital and insurance about the one. They covered her first ER visit but not the second. They were for the same thing. A cough where she couldn't stop coughing or catch her breath. Both days she was diagnosed (or what they told me) was asthma. The first visit indicated this but the second one just says a cough so they won't cover it because they don't think it was an emergency. It was also Memorial day and the doctors office was closed. Thankfully this bill looks like it will only be about $3000. We can pay it if we have to but hoping t get insurance to cover it.

Our non emergency savings is basically gone. It was a fun summer, though! 😆

Our emergency savings is sitting at $18,000 with an end of year goal of $24000, which we should make, no problem (the larger goal is $48,000 by Dec 2022).

We ran down our "fun money" savings on a few local trips this summer, Disneyland tickets, and my husband bought me a diamond eternity ring for our 20 year wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, I wasn't ready for the Disneyland annual passes to go back on sale so quickly, so there was no money set aside for those. Oops! I had intended to use the monthly payment option, but I couldn't get it to work, so had to charge the entire amount ($5600) 🤑. I just did a balance transfer yesterday and will pay it off in 10 payments of $525.

Goals going forward are to rebuild the "fun money" and Disney pass savings buckets so that we can travel again and avoid this situation next year when we renew the Disneyland passes.

September and October will be a wash for additional savings (beyond the $2000 no matter what savings), but I should be able to start putting additional aside in November and beyond. Husband is traveling all of September so he will make a bit additional there with per diem payments. I'll have new goals for next year at the end of December. Can't believe we are practically there again already!

End of August Update (Removing items that were previously completed):
  • Exercise 4-5 times a week for 30-45 minutes.....August was soooo much better than July! I've worked out 5 days a week for all of August, except for one week where I only hit 4 days.
  • Get a new roof......Roof is done and the solar is also installed. We are STILL waiting on our solar to be turned on. The final inspection with the city is scheduled for Thursday and hopefully it won't take SMUD (our electric company) too long to come out and install their meter and for our solar to be turned on. I'm hoping this will be done by mid-September.
  • Pay as much as I can towards our Camry loan....Was able to pay an extra $300 towards this loan in August. We are now below $14k owed. I was going to pay a couple hundred extra today when I paid our bills, but I decided to wait and see if I end up needing this money for something else.
I just signed up today for a Butcher Box subscription. I've never used them, but they have great reviews. The large customizable box is $270 for all grass-fed/grass-finished meats and between the $10 off coupon code, $8 cash back on Rakuten, and 10% cash back (max: $26) on my Sapphire card the box should only come out to $226 total. Which I thought was a great price for everything that I'm getting. I'd easily spend more than that if I was going to Costco/Sams to restock my freezer and the meat wouldn't be grass fed. I also forgot that my Sapphire annual fee should be charged tomorrow ($95 since I have the cheaper card) so I'm glad I decided to hold off on the extra payment towards the Camry.

We've finished the new flooring/vanity/hardware in our spare bathroom and now we just have our master bathroom to do! I'm so excited by this. I LOVE the new flooring. We had such a hard time finding something that would match all the existing tile in the showers plus match the rest of the flooring in our house, but we finally found it. (Pics attached.)

DH also called me this morning to tell me that his co-worker just found out he has ~100 DVC points he needs to use or lose by Nov. 30th and asked if we wanted them to go to Disneyland with before then. I had already been debating a day/weekend trip for Festival of Holidays (if they're doing it) so it looks like now we may be going regardless. If we do end up going I will probably end up buying AP's again since we also have a trip planned in May with my BFF, her DH, and our goddaughter. Not sure if I want to try and pay for them in full, pay for one of them in full, or if I want to do the monthly payments.

We're almost 3/4 of the way through the year guys! Keep on swimming!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 55
  • After1.jpg
    After1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 56
  • After2.jpg
    After2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 54
I got the new job!!! Budget wise, I'll be taking a slight pay cut. However, there is a much higher salary potential! And they'll pay for education that benefits my position. Mentally, I needed this new job. It's remote and that takes a huge weight off of our shoulders, so we can move if we'd like.

I'll be able to make up the salary difference for awhile by working PT for my current company until they hire someone new (nights and weekends) if they allow it. Plus, it'll allow me to put some money into savings.

I celebrated last night by buying some flower bulbs. :flower1:

Last edited:
Good thing I didn't spend extra towards the Camry from this paycheck since I've spent almost $400 at Costco between today and yesterday. :eek: Costco did bring back their spend $100 on P&G products and get a $25 Costco cash card and I spent $100 yesterday stocking up on laundry items, dishwasher pods, and TP. I went back today since they're new savings ad started today and got the items I was almost out of at home plus an extra or 2. I was really excited that they are offering the face moisturizer I use as a 2 pack on sale for $19, when at Target I will spend $19 on one.

Also heard back from my DH's co-worker and I guess the DL hotels don't have any availability for DVC point bookings on weekends through the end of the year. So unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to take advantage of his offer. I did tentatively book us a hotel for the weekend of Nov. 19th though and I'm still debating AP's. I didn't end up buying Halloween party tickets because I'd rather spend that same amount of money and go during Christmas for a full day. I haven't fully decided if this will end up happening or not though since we also have our cruise in January.

Good thing I didn't spend extra towards the Camry from this paycheck since I've spent almost $400 at Costco between today and yesterday.

i dropped a chunk of change on them as well, albeit online. i took advantage of the starbucks french roast whole beans being $5 off per 2 1/2# bag and bought the limit of 6, also stocked up on ds's chips (lays 50 pack boxes-have yet to ever see them in the warehouse) and dh's hawaiian (again, never have seen the boxes at the warehouse). spent enough to eliminate any shipping costs by virtue of the coffee so i figured i might as well get stuff now vs. later (and if it goes on sale within 30 days costco will refund it so no loss). i also stocked up on a couple of items online from walmart-i'm finding that shrinkage of products is actively happening for in-store items but the website seems to still have some of the larger size/old prices. the starbucks ground chocolate is only showing up in store in 7'ish ounce containers at near the price we were paying for 12 ounces but i found it online so i ordered a dozen bags, i've been looking for the 33 ounce pump bottles of equate brand tea tree shampoo for several months both online and in store to no avail but tripped over it while shopping for the coffee-it's marked as a clearance item now for about 20% off so i ordered 3, 2 to have on hand and 1 to give to my oldest.

it adds up for this month but will be savings in future months.

i dropped a chunk of change on them as well, albeit online. i took advantage of the starbucks french roast whole beans being $5 off per 2 1/2# bag and bought the limit of 6, also stocked up on ds's chips (lays 50 pack boxes-have yet to ever see them in the warehouse) and dh's hawaiian (again, never have seen the boxes at the warehouse). spent enough to eliminate any shipping costs by virtue of the coffee so i figured i might as well get stuff now vs. later (and if it goes on sale within 30 days costco will refund it so no loss).

If you have a Costco Business Center near you I'm pretty sure I've seen both of those chip boxes at the business center. At least at the one here in Sacramento. Also I've heard (but haven't actually tested it out) that their price adjustment policy changed from 30 days to only 14 days. Just something you might want to check on. :)

I may end up going back and stocking up on more household items/my face moisturizer, but I haven't decided yet since I'm pretty well stocked at the moment. But like you said it adds up now, but it's savings for later.

we don't have a business center near us:( but if i bundle enough items together to avoid paying shipping it's still worthwhile buying it online. i used to pay just shy of $5 for a 10 pack at walmart but i can get a 50 pack from costco for$15.99, the hawaiian multipacks i've never seen elsewhere. according to their website the 30 day price guarantee is still good for online orders. they are changing stuff up though-i understand that the rewards certificates their credit card issues annualy can no longer be cashed in-it can only be applied for purchase.

the one here in Sacramento

a friend i went to high school with is one of the last of the former 'price club' (which later became 'price costco' and finally 'costco') employees from the original buyout. she's been with them in sacramento since '80 or '81. when costco bought out they had to keep all the price club employees-who were also union at the time, and let them remain union members. i bet they never dreamed they would still have any union members going on 30 years after inking that deal.

Good thing I didn't spend extra towards the Camry from this paycheck since I've spent almost $400 at Costco between today and yesterday. :eek: Costco did bring back their spend $100 on P&G products and get a $25 Costco cash card and I spent $100 yesterday stocking up on laundry items, dishwasher pods, and TP. I went back today since they're new savings ad started today and got the items I was almost out of at home plus an extra or 2. I was really excited that they are offering the face moisturizer I use as a 2 pack on sale for $19, when at Target I will spend $19 on one.

Also heard back from my DH's co-worker and I guess the DL hotels don't have any availability for DVC point bookings on weekends through the end of the year. So unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to take advantage of his offer. I did tentatively book us a hotel for the weekend of Nov. 19th though and I'm still debating AP's. I didn't end up buying Halloween party tickets because I'd rather spend that same amount of money and go during Christmas for a full day. I haven't fully decided if this will end up happening or not though since we also have our cruise in January.
Did they try to use points for the Villas at Grand Californian only? Because DVC has point charts to view online at member site for Disneyland Hotel.
. . Unfortunately the points usually are not low for this option but better than losing 100 points by November. He can view the point charts online but has to call member services for making a reservation.

Last edited:
-i understand that the rewards certificates their credit card issues annualy can no longer be cashed in-it can only be applied for purchase.
I ran into this in July and the employee helping me said if I wanted to go through the line and buy one cheaper item they would give the rest in cash. So that could also be an option. I applied to my membership renewal that day since I had gotten tires and had already done my shopping while waiting, or I would have!

Did they try to use points for the Villas at Grand Californian only? Because DVC has point charts to view online at member site for Disneyland Hotel.
. . Unfortunately the points usually are not low for this option but better than losing 100 points by November. He can view the point charts online but has to call member services for making a reservation.

We actually weren't even trying to get in at the Grand. He said the Grand wasn't an option for some reason, so we were looking at booking either the DL hotel or Paradise Pier. (I prefer the DLH themeing over the GCHs anyway.)

I already have my fall decorations up. Hubby rolled his eyes when he came home and saw it. 🤣

I almost started yesterday and I'm sure if I had my hubby would have done the exact same thing lol.

I ran into this in July and the employee helping me said if I wanted to go through the line and buy one cheaper item they would give the rest in cash. So that could also be an option. I applied to my membership renewal that day since I had gotten tires and had already done my shopping while waiting, or I would have!

i'll probably use mine to get costco gift cards-in $25 denominations. i buy them for my oldest so shopping can be done without a membership (doesn't shop enough there to justify a membership).

I already have my fall decorations up. Hubby rolled his eyes when he came home and saw it.

i was SO surprised to NOT see a hint of halloween or fall when i went to walmart earlier this week. all the summer stuff (clothes and such) are on clearance/full blown winter apparel is on the racks but not so much as one halloween display/candy bin or any fall decor. the decimated back to school supplies were the only items in the 'seasonal' section.

Did somebody say Christmas?! 🎅🎄🎁

115 days, ya'll.
Was that really necessary :D :D I can't think much beyond the end of the week, never mind think about Christmas.

For various reasons the supermarkets etc over here in the UK are warning that there are going to be shortages of popular products at Christmas, including turkeys & potatoes so they have started filling the shelves even earlier than normal with all the Christmas "essentials" (you know all the slightly fancier versions of things with festive labels on, or Christmas tree shaped tortilla chips, that sort of thing!).

As a family we have decided we will eat whatever we can find - if we can't get a turkey then something else will be perfectly acceptable. Being able to get together after all the challenges of the last 18 months is far more important than what we eat.

For various reasons the supermarkets etc over here in the UK are warning that there are going to be shortages of popular products at Christmas, including turkeys & potatoes so they have started filling the shelves even earlier than normal with all the Christmas "essentials" (you know all the slightly fancier versions of things with festive labels on, or Christmas tree shaped tortilla chips, that sort of thing!).

I'm not in the UK but I've heard that rumor here too. And not because there isn't enough of things, there's not enough workers to move the product. I work for Walmart at one of their food distribution centers and we're absolutely desperate for employees. We haven't been able to ship out the volume of product we "should" in months. A typical night we would send 60,000 cases of meat/produce out. We currently are lucky if we get 50k out. Last time I looked we were over 70k behind in shipping just in meat and produce. That doesn't include freezer, dairy/deli, or your dry items who are also behind.

While the long hours stink and I'm glad I'm on leave currently, it has been nice for hubby to start racking up all the overtime and bonus money until I go back.

I'm also lucky that I'm one of the ones that loads the trucks. So if there's something I want, I know when it gets shipped to the store and can go get it. 🤣

Just a quick update. But, I wanted to share that I am "this" close to having my CCs paid off. When I first posted on this thread, I was sick to my stomach adding up all of the "some money here, lots of money there" on my ccs. A couple years back, after Christmas, I started a no buy. I also started snowballing my payments and paid off my smallest debts first. Last spring I took my remaining two balances and transferred them to a zero percent offer. After today's payment, I"m in the 2,000 range (from the 20,000s) all while maintaining my 20% to retirement and my yearly travel. I just had to cut way back on buying stuff. Anyway, I'm so close I can taste it. (I have more than enough in my savings to pay it off, but at zero percent, I don't want to). I have a couple more months. Then I work on my car (0% Honda) and I have about 8 years on my house. (3%).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter