Dec. 16-26-- Lots of reviews w/pics *updated with counter service*

CheshireVal

Can you stand on your head?<BR><font color="purple
Recently returned from a fantastic Christmas trip with my mom, my brother, and my husband. We ate a ton of good food, and thought I'd share some thoughts on our favorites and not-so-favorites. For the record, we were not on the dining plan.

I added pictures when I could, but we don't always take a lot of pictures of our food! (Will remember next time!)

Trail’s End (lunch): A+
This has long been a favorite of my family, and again we weren’t disappointed. The service is always the best anywhere, and the food never disappoints. Though the selection isn’t huge, what is there is always fresh. Highlights for me were the chili, bbq, and fried chicken. I don’t even want to admit how much chicken my brother and husband ate, though I will tell you that when DH went up for seconds, he came back with a plate with 7 pieces of chicken on it (and he’s a thin guy!) We will always go back to Trail’s End!

Plate of food at Trails End-- yum!
trailsend.jpg

Cape May Clambake (dinner): C-
This used to be my favorite restaurant. It wasn’t fun last year because it was crowded and the lines were long, but we chalked it up to the fact that it was Christmas Eve, so we decided to try it again this year on Dec. 16th. We were there for the first seating at 5:30, and it was still so packed that the buffet lines were too long to want to bother with after we ate our first plates. The clams and mussels were pretty good, as were the peel and eat shrimp. The clam chowder and ribs were also tasty. The “prime rib” was disgusting. There was no carver at the station—it was just a pile of meat with no attendant, and my whole family felt like it was liver rather than prime rib or roast beef. :eek: It had a liver texture and, even worse, liver taste. Aside from that, I would probably go back here if it weren’t for the crowds (they actually had ropes at the buffet like a queue for a ride!) I would try it again, but it’s just not fun so crowded.

Le Cellier (lunch with CP package): C
We used to love Le Cellier, but service was really lacking this time. Our meal felt pretty rushed, and we barely saw our waitress. It took about 10-15 minutes after we were seated for our drinks (nothing fancy, just tea and Coke) to arrive, and when my husband asked if we could get some bread (everyone around us had some and no one had brought us any), the waitress kind of snippily said that her tray was too small to fit it all on with the drinks, but that she was working on it. The food was excellent as always, but the crammed tables and loud atmosphere and service issues kind of ruined it. I don’t know if we’ll be back for this reason. I ordered the mussels for an appetizer (A+), the petit filet (A), and maple creme brulee (A). Everyone else enjoyed their food, as well.

Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner): A
We ate here right before MVMCP and, as always, it was one of our favorites. The turkey and dressing was fabulous, the ham was good, but the steak wasn’t all that great. The service was prompt and friendly, and the character interaction was excellent (even though we were a party of all adults).

Me and my brother with Goofy at LTT:
LTT.jpg

Biergarten: A+
My family is German, so my brother and I especially enjoy Biergarten since it sort of takes us back to our roots. :) The dining room/hall, especially at Christmas, is beautiful, and the Christmas show that the band puts on is neat. This meal was one of our favorites of the trip. We all had beers, of course, and we were seated with a nice family from somewhere up North, I think (I can't remember). They were the perfect mix of being friendly without making you feel like you had to chat with them the whole time. ;) My favorite foods were the salads and the wursts, schnitzel, and the spaetzle. I was much too full to fully appreciate dessert at the end, though. We lingered for quite a while and had some coffee so that we could finish watching the band, and our waiter was very attentive and nice. Definitely would go here again!

Band at Biergarten:
biergarten.jpg

Me and my husband at Biergarten:
biergarten2.jpg

Brown Derby (lunch) A:
I hadn’t eaten here since I was a teenager, so I was excited to get to try it again. We had a hard time checking in (they gave us a pager when we checked in, but forgot to write up a ticket for us so they never called us, even though we were the first to check in at 11:25am!) We finally got seated, and it turned out to be a great experience—a nice, leisurely lunch to break up some time in the park, which is just what we needed. The service was good, even though our waitress seemed a little morose. I had the oyster and brie soup as an appetizer, which was delicious. My mom had the coconut shrimp, which was good, but she didn’t feel that *two* shrimp was worth $8. Mom and I split the cobb salad as an entrée (definitely enough for two), and I give that an A+++. DH had the steak (he liked it but not as well as Le Cellier), and my brother had the Orecchiette which he also loved. For dessert, we split the grapefruit cake (nasty—way too bitter) and the crème brulee (good but not as good as Le Cellier). Overall, we would definitely eat here again!

Brown Derby interior near our booth:
brownderby.jpg

My husband at Brown Derby:
brownderby2.jpg

Steak at Brown Derby:
steakbrownderby.jpg

Cobb salad (looks gross, but was so good!)
cobbsaladbrownderby.jpg

Ohana (dinner): B- to A:
We love Ohana and eat here every time. We’ve always lucked out and gotten a window seat, and this time was no exception. Service was great, though at one point we asked for more shrimp and never received it (the only low point). The salad wasn’t as good as it normally is (too much honey, not enough lime), but the shrimp and wonton chips were excellent. For the meat, the turkey was my favorite, but the pieces of pork and steak I got were too salty to eat and turned my mouth inside out. Words cannot describe how terrible those two pieces of meat were. :crazy2: I couldn’t bring myself to try anymore after that. My brother and husband, predictably, loved all the meat except for a few salty pieces they received as well. I’ve never had that problem there, though, so hopefully it was an isolated incident. The bread pudding was great, but of course by that point we were too full to really enjoy it!

My husband and my brother pigging out at Ohana:
ohana.jpg

Boma (dinner): A
I have always loved Boma, and this meal didn't disappoint. Honestly, I used to love buffets, but lately I've started preferring more leisurely meals where I don't have to fight crowds at the buffet line. So while the atmosphere and crowds kind of made this one of my least enjoyable meals, the food was terrific. I especially loved the seafood stew (which I had two bowls of), and the different types of hummus. They had some good salads, too. Honestly, I can't remember a lot of what I tried, but I liked it all! :)

Raglan Road: B
We loved this place last year, but it wasn’t as much fun this time. We had dinner at 5, so we were too early for entertainment. After we were seated, our waitress approached us and without a smile said “What do you want to drink” instead of “Hi,” or “My name is,” or anything nice! We wanted to have a round of beers before we ordered food (which we explained to her), but she kept coming back and asking us to order, so we felt a bit rushed. I had the chicken pie, which was very good. The best thing there was the colcannon, which my mom ordered as a side to her Guinness ribs. The colcannon was a huge bowl and next time I might order that alone as an entrée! My husband had the shepherd’s pie (as an Aussie, he is an expert at meat pies) which he said was a little weird (which usually means he didn’t love it). The bread and butter pudding, which we all shared, was excellent. I would probably eat here again just for the colcannon! Oh yeah, our waitress’s shift ended towards the end of our meal, and we got a much friendlier replacement.

Trying to relax with a beer at Raglan:
raglan.jpg

Whispering Canyon (lunch): A
This is always one of my favorite places to eat even though I don’t enjoy being picked on all that much. We all ordered the skillet, which was really fresh and excellent. My favorites were the coleslaw and ribs. The service was outstanding, and my brother unexpectedly received a super-sized Coke as a joke (that thing must have been 64 ounces at least!) At one point in the meal, another waiter walked by, tapped my brother on the shoulder and said, "Enjoy the bathroom, pal." :rotfl: My husband received a special “diploma” for doing a duck call during the animal sounds event. Overall, we had a great time here and would definitely do it again.

My brother with his giantic Coke at Whispering Canyon-- compare to the normal Coke next to it!
whisperingcanyon.jpg

Garden Grill (lunch): A+
This was my first time here, and what a surprise! This turned out to be one of my favorites—I couldn’t decide what food I liked best from this family style meal. Service was prompt, the rotating restaurant was cool, and character interaction was good (I especially liked the set up of the half-circle booths, because the characters couldn’t bother me since I was on the inside :laughing: ). But the food…. fabulous! I couldn’t decide if I liked the catfish or the steak tenderloin more, but I had seconds of both. The turkey was so-so (it was similar to LTT, so I didn’t spend a lot of time with it.) Veggies were fresh and good, and bread pudding was great, too, though the serving size was way too big considering how full we all were!

Rose and Crown (dinner): B
We ate here for Christmas dinner. We had ADRs for 6:30, but for the past two years we’ve eaten here and had hour plus waits past our ADR time, (which I don’t mind since it’s in the pub), so this time we checked in early, at 5:30. Unfortunately (and surprisingly) we were seated right away. We got a seat on the patio overlooking the lake (way too early for Illuminations, though!) Service was prompt and attentive—much better than it has been in the past. I wanted something light, so I ordered the shrimp cocktail for an appetizer, which was much tinier and much different than it used to be. Four shrimp! :snooty: I had the stilton salad for an entrée, and that was excellent. My husband ordered the chicken pasty, which he liked okay. My mom ordered the fish and chips which she loved, and my brother ordered the steak, which he also liked.

The highlight of Rose and Crown is always the sticky toffee pudding (DH loves this in particular because they eat it in Australia), which was absolutely horrible this year. It was burnt to a crisp and basically inedible. :sad1: We didn’t send it back (we’re kind of wimps that way), but it was a disappointment to say the least. We might or might not try this again. Moral: don’t check in early if you’re not hungry! I might have enjoyed this more on a more empty stomach!

Sounds like you guys had some great meals. You ate at 4 of my favorite places: Biergarten, LeCellier, Ohana and Brown Derby. Thanks for your post!!

Thanks for reading, guys! :)

I will try to update this with counter service reviews in the next day or two. :thumbsup2

Okay, here are some more reviews from our trip, mostly counter service. When I get home, I'll scrounge around and see if I can dig up any pictures to include, but I'm not sure how many we took at the following places.

Planet Hollyood: A
This isn't counter service, of course, but I'm including it here because we went in only for drinks and appetizers. We were there at around noon and were seated immediately. Service was prompt and friendly. We ordered the captain crunch chicken, texas tostadas, buffalo wings, and mini hamburgers. Everything was really good, but the tostadas were my favorite. We also each got a specialty drink. I always like the atmosphere at Planet Hollywood. While service has been spotty in the past, I would still recommend it. :thumbsup2

Pecos Bills: C
We all ordered burgers. The fixins bar is great (I got some mushrooms and onions for my burger), but the burgers themselves were kind of dry and overcooked. Not my favorite, but not horrible, either. Just kind of 'eh.' At 11am, lines were really horrible.

Columbia Harbour House: C
This used to be my favorite counter service in Disney, but when they did away with the clam chowder in a bread bowl, I became disgruntled. Granted, the atmosphere is still the best around (very quiet, especially upstairs), but I miss my clam chowder! On top of that, I ordered my usual fish and chips, and they seemed to have changed the breading on their fried fish this year... and it wasn't very good. It was more breaded than battered, and I do prefer them with the batter! I'd still eat here for a quiet respite, but I might branch out and try something else on the menu next time!

Flame Tree BBQ (and turkey leg): A I grabbed a turkey leg from a cart nearby while the rest of my family had the bbq ribs. I tried some of their meals, and ribs were very good (though messy) and the bbq beans even better. I do wish flame tree meals came with fries rather than corn on the cob, though. Corn on the cob is so messy, I hardly consider it an ideal theme park food (though I also eat my turkey legs with a fork and knife, so I might not be the best judge of what constitutes an acceptable amount of messy!) The seating area is infinitely meandering here, which can be confusing if you're trying to meet the rest of your party, but if you make it all the way down to the water, you'll have a nice view of Everest while you eat.

Cantina de San Angel: B
Yet another restaurant that used to be far better. I enjoy sitting at the tables by the lake (as long as there isn't a kid nearby feeding the gulls, which can be a bit of a nuisance.... especially if the parents think it's the most adorable thing ever.... but that's another story ;) ). I had the combination plate, which was okay but not as fresh as I remember. We also ordered a side of chips and salsa, which isn't advertised but available if you ask. I like dipping the chips in the refried beans that come with the food-- it's tasty that way! My husband ordered the wet burritos, which he liked well enough. Nothing extraordinary here, but flavorful at least, and in a nice setting.

Pop Century Food Court: A
I think Pop has the best food court in all of Disney. I've stayed there four times now, and I don't think I've ever tried anything yucky. The absolute best thing for me, hands down, is the shrimp lo mein. My mom is partial to the fried chicken "mom's night out" dinner special, however. My husband got a burger there that he said was also very good. I also enjoyed the pita chips and hummus as a small snack. For breakfast, I usually just ate a bagel or croissant, but did treat myself to the breakfast pizza once. Even though I don't particularly like sausage, the breakfast pizza was REALLY good. Yum.

Pizza at Pop Century: We tried both the food court pizza and room delivery pizza (they are different, apparently). The food court pizza was better even though you could only order either cheese or pepperoni. The delivery pizza had more topping options, but it tasted like rubber and had hardly any sauce on it. I would definitely order food court again!

Thanks for the reviews, we're going to eat at several of those places so it's great to see the photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter