Dec. trip planning - Central Coast / S.F. / Yosemite

Dis Ohana

All your dreams can come true if you have the cour
Hello, everyone! I'm starting to get excited about our trip in Dec and would appreciate any advice. This is my proposed itinerary, nothing is written in stone except for the DL dates.

Dec. 12 - Dec. 16: Disneyland!
Dec. 16: Drive to Santa Barbara, stay overnight. I was thinking we'd check out the Stearn's Pier and Mission Homes.
Dec. 17: Drive to Solvang and Santa Ynez - has anyone been to the miniature horse farm? I thought my daughter would love this. Keep driving to SLO - stay the night.
Dec. 18: Drive to Pacific Grove - stay 2 nights. We plan on going to the Monterey Aquarium, Carmel, and do the 17-Mile drive. Possibly drive through Santa Cruz on our way to S.F.
Dec. 20 - 21: Stay 2 nights in SF at Argonaut at F.W.
Dec. 22: We thought we'd drive out of S.F. to spend the night in Half Moon Bay, is this the best place as a starting point to drive to Yosemite? I chose it because it's out of S.F., the hotel prices took a hike in the city for a Friday night. H.M.B. sounds like a nice place to spend the night.
Dec. 23 - Dec. 28: Yosemite! Thank you, Mary Jo for posting that website. It's very informative and gave me great tips on our plans to drive in. We're planning on driving through Fresno - I know it's a much longer route, but according to the yosemitefun.com website, it's a much easier and safer drive. We were a little concerned about driving in bad weather since we've never really driven in snow (we're from Hawaii). My question regarding Yosemite is: how is the weather during this time? We were there last year for a few days in the beginning of December and there was no snow! We have never actually been in snow before and the family (myself, DH and DD-11, DS-14) are really looking foward to it. Does it rain much towards the end of Dec? How are the crowds? I read somewhere that occupancy is at 100% during the week we're planning on being there. Yikes! What I loved about Yosemite on our last trip was that we pretty much had the whole park to ourselves. Does the park get that crowded during Christmas week?

TIA for any comments or advice you might have about our trip. I am so grateful for this addition to the DIS Boards!

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned!!!

Snow in Yosemite Valley is always a hit-or-miss proposition - it just depends on what the weather is like. You should find snow up at Badger Pass, though. As I recall there is a free shuttle that will take you up to the Badger Pass ski area and back. You don't have to downhill ski - you can also cross-country ski or snowshoe - I don't know about the availability of the latter two for rental, though. You can definitely rent downhill skis.

Even if the lodging in the Valley is at capacity (though I doubt that at that time of year the campgrounds would be at capacity) it doesn't mean that the Valley will be packed - most visitors to Yosemite come from outside the park, and there aren't going to be as many day visitors in December as there will be in the summer!

We've done this trip (or variations) a few times and it is SOOOO great. Three things stand out to me (but we're all different, of course).
1. IMO, if you're taking the PCH the 17 mile drive is just redundant.
2. We find Hearst Mansion amazing, perhaps you'd like that.
3. We also loved Point Lobos reserve, near Carmel.

Thanks, Scooter. I was concerned after reading that info, but after reading the page over it does say that -occupancy- is at 100%, nothing about crowds. Good to know that won't be the case! We are staying very close to Badger Pass, we'll definitely look into what it has to offer.

Peter, thanks for the advice! I think we'll drop the 17-mile drive and add Hearst Castle. Could we visit Point Lobos on the same day we do the aquarium, or would we need to allow more time?

I appreciate all the good advice!

I think you could do Point Lobos and the acquarium in one day, but it'll be a lot of walking and it depends of course how in depth you plan to be at either. I wish I were going!
pirate:

Thanks again, Peter. I took a look at a map and I think we'll split Point Lobos / Carmel and the Aquarium into two days.

We're planning on staying in Pacific Grove at the Butterfly Inn. Is this the best place to stay, or should we try to find a place in Monterey?

Another question regarding Yosemite: Is the best route into the park as far as driving conditions are concerned, Highway 41 or Highway 140? I've read different opinions for both sides.

The highway choice depends on a few things:

1. does anyone get carsick?

2. how long do you want it to take?

3. what type of scenery do you want to see?

Coming from the coast towards Yosemite I am guessing you will be coming across 152 through the pass - on weekends can be crowded but with those darn mountains in the way...what are you going to do right!?

Highway 140 is twisty and will take you longer. Like the road to Hana kinda. The scenery is more varied on this route. Earlier this year there was a huge rock slide on the Mariposa side of Yosemite and the highway was shut down. Though I do not know the status of that but worth checking.

If coming across 152 I would take 99 south to 145E and 41N. That is the route we take to our family cattle ranch. cuts some time off going down into Fresno and coming north, unless you are coming across lower like at 41 or 46. Then just continue north on 41. The scenery on 99 is boring but once you get into the foothills on 41 its nice. I don't know the days you are traveling but 41N can be a bear on Friday evening also from just north of Fresno into Coursegold and Oakhurst.

Yosemite is beautiful year round. Enjoy your trip! I don't think it will be too crowded. Though I would rather be in Hawaii! :thumbsup2

My parents live in Catheys Valley which is on the 140 between Merced and Mariposa. We have gone up to Yosemite a couple of times on Xmas Day. It was beautiful both times with lots of snow on the ground. You can never really tell if you will get snow or not. December is an iffy month for snowfall. The 140 is now open again. I believe they are caravaning cars thru the rockslide area and I believe they just have one lane open. You will probably want to check with the California Highway Patrol right before you drive up. I believe they have a toll-free # for road conditions. You will want to check the day you plan on driving up there because the road conditions can change rapidly especially if it starts to snow. The 2 times we went, we had no problems driving in, but we took our chains w/us just in case. Yosemite really is a magical place and it is wonderful that time of year; everyone is walking around saying Merry Xmas and how can you not be in a good mood when you are experiencing one of God's greatest achievements. Also, be sure to bring warm clothing and hiking or snow boots if you plan on walking around; it will be cold (colder than Haleakala at sunrise!). Ed

Lucky you, spending time in Yosemite!

If you're going in December, make sure you have chains for the car. You never know when it is going to snow, so it is really important that you be prepared.

I drove from San Francisco to Yosemite via the 140. I remember that road being pretty steep. I think taking 41 is a good idea. I guess you're staying at Yosemite West? I'll be interested to see how you like it.

I think I'll stick with our original plan of driving in via highway 41. Me and DD get carsick easily, so a drive similar to the road to Hana would not be fun! We'll be driving in sometime Saturday afternoon, so I'm assuming traffic will be ok?

Mary Jo, we stayed in the same house in Yosemite West last year and fell in love with the place. It's part of the Four Seasons rental homes, and the house is called, Longs Logs. It's closer to Badger Pass (which wasn't open while we were there last year) so we're looking forward to seeing some snow.

Thank you all for the wonderful tips.

Drive carefully! I will hope for a little early snow. You never know around here...

Driving up on Saturday should be fine.

Have a great trip!

My DW gets sick everytime I take her past Oakhurst to YV. But 41 is the easiest route....if there is a storm in the area expect to put chains on in Oakhurst or Coarsegold if you are there early in the morning. If the weather is clear...go to Glacier Point...great views of the valley. Our wet weather doesn't usually start till the end of Dec to begining of Jan. Though it did rain today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter