December 2020 - first couple’s trip dinner recommendation

Myhandsfull

Earning My Ears
Hi, everyone. I’m looking for your best couple’s restaurant tips for our first us-only WDW trip next December. We do have the dining plan but aren’t opposed to paying out of pocket. We have been as a family multiple times, and our favorites include Ohana, BOG dinner back before it became prix fix, Boathouse, and (surprisingly to some) Chefs de France. We also like eating around the world bc we are usually there at F&W. We do not drink alcohol, so that isn’t a factor. We are foodies, and enjoy fun/interesting experiences but require the food to be really good. I’m also gluten intolerant, so that’s a factor. An amazing steak would be good for hubby, and we also like seafood. Really, we aren’t picky, outside of the food intolerance issue.

I’ve read some similar threads but thought with the no alcohol/gluten intolerance twist, I’d post and ask what the experts thought!

Thanks,
Dana

Jiko would be first on my list. Followed by Sanaa and Flying Fish.

Jaleo would be my choice. Food is terrific and so is the atmosphere. The nice thing about going with others, you can try many different things on the menu. Follow that up with a night at the Edison to see the show - a great night all around.
Other places we 've enjoyed with friends, Morimoto, Narcoossee, Flying Fish, Raglan Road, Sanaa, and if in the mood for just some vey good pizza - Via Napoli. If you really want indulge a bit, take a quick ride over to the Waldorf Astoria - Bull and Bear is terrific as well.

Our favorite date night is tapas at spice road table followed by a stroll around world showcase for a nightcap!

We've always enjoyed Sanaa. It was always much quieter than other restaurants. Via Napoli is good for couple's pizza and red wine, but can be loud with other families.

If you enjoyed Chefs de France, I would go upstairs to Monsieur Paul. The food is even better.
I don't think its on the DDP, but the new Japanese Restaurant is incredible and a dining experience. Takumi -Tei.
Also not on the DDP, BlueZoo was very good and a step above Flying Fish (although we really like Flying Fish).
Jiko is another favorite.
We love our adult only trips.
Enjoy!

Oh my, so many options! My wife and I have taken several couples trips to WDW and love multiple places - my Top 2 would be:

1. California Grill. This is probably our favorite restaurant in all of WDW. Phenomenal menu and service, can absolute accommodate your gluten needs and I don't even remember what we drank alcohol-wise last time because of how good the meal was, so the food stands on its own. Also, you cannot beat the views - highly recommend timing it with Happily Ever After and stepping out on the balcony to watch the fireworks.

2. Flying Fish. Phenomenal food and I think sort of an underrated pick. Not sure why more people haven't been, but potentially because it's on the Boardwalk? It's an easy 5 minute walk from the Epcot International Gateway. Again, great menu and they should have no qualms accommodating your gluten requirements.

You could also go big and try Victoria & Albert's. We haven't been but are thinking of trying it. From what everyone says, this could potentially be hard to beat from a food perspective, although the price point is obviously quite silly. All in all, I think it would be hard to go wrong with whatever you choose :)

Yachtsman was very good and it was a nice relaxed meal. If you like seafood, Bluezoo is great also. The dining experience is outstanding and the food was very fresh. We also really enjoyed the atmosphere, service and food at Grand Floridian Cafe.

Thirding California Grill, it's a beautiful restaurant and such a romantic setting especially after dark, food is very good and service is excellent. That would always be my choice for a special dinner.

As a foodie with an intolerance for gluten, I would totally do Victoria & Albert’s. They will call you the week before your reservation to confirm your food restrictions and will build your menu around that. It really is quite a treat and is definitely worth the money.

Some of our favourites:

Jiko
Spice Road Table
Takumi-Tei
Teppan Edo
California Grill
Morimoto Asia

Most of the restaurants can deal with gluten issues. Just note it on your ADR and mention it when you check in at the podium.

Oh my, so many options! My wife and I have taken several couples trips to WDW and love multiple places - my Top 2 would be:

1. California Grill. This is probably our favorite restaurant in all of WDW. Phenomenal menu and service, can absolute accommodate your gluten needs and I don't even remember what we drank alcohol-wise last time because of how good the meal was, so the food stands on its own. Also, you cannot beat the views - highly recommend timing it with Happily Ever After and stepping out on the balcony to watch the fireworks.

2. Flying Fish. Phenomenal food and I think sort of an underrated pick. Not sure why more people haven't been, but potentially because it's on the Boardwalk? It's an easy 5 minute walk from the Epcot International Gateway. Again, great menu and they should have no qualms accommodating your gluten requirements.

You could also go big and try Victoria & Albert's. We haven't been but are thinking of trying it. From what everyone says, this could potentially be hard to beat from a food perspective, although the price point is obviously quite silly. All in all, I think it would be hard to go wrong with whatever you choose :)

We could literally cry we're so happy. We got a 9 PM late dinner reservation for our very first night of our trip in June.
We wanted late anyway bc we fly in on a red eye and this gives time for an afternoon/evening nap, but also we can start our trip off with pure magic!

Shula's over at the Dolphin. Best steak on property, even better than Yatchtsman. It's a dark, quiet atmosphere...perfect for couples. Only downside is that they don't accept and dining plans.

Our favorites are:
Magic Kingdom: Skipper's Canteen
Epcot: Chefs de France, Via Napoli and Le Cellier
Hollywood Studios: Mama Melrose
Animal Kingdom: Tiffins and Tusker House
Disney Springs: Boathouse (Outside seating-great view)
Resorts: Grand Floridian: Citrico's and Narcosee's
Animal Kingdom Lodge: Jiko and Sanaa
Contemporary: California Grill
Happy planning!!

*Narcoosee's: I know it's been getting a "bad rep" recently for service, but we had dinner here about 2 weeks ago and it was fabulous. We had a late ADR so we would be there for the holiday fireworks (10pm). We were seated about 9:20, ordered drinks and an appetizer, and told the waitress we didn't want dinner served until AFTER the fireworks. We ordered dinner maybe around 9:45-9:50, then took our drinks out on the deck to watch the fireworks. When we came back in, dinner was served as soon as we were seated. The food was amazing! I think just being clear with the waitstaff as to how we wanted our meal to proceed made a big difference. I was also happy to know that they'd serve this late... wasn't sure, but this is Disney, the fireworks display from restaurants is a big deal, and they were fine with it.

*California Grill: Possibly our favorite restaurant at Disney. The food is always perfect, as has been our service. If you are interested in fireworks viewing, plan your ADR accordingly and make sure the server knows you want to watch the fireworks and when (during pre-dinner drinks, between dinner and dessert, etc- as I did above). We have NEVER had an issue with timing or feeling rushed here, and the food has always been absolutely incredible!

*These are both 2 credits on the DDP. As you don't drink alcohol, this might not be a smart use of dining credits.*

Raglan Road: Definitely not quiet or romantic, but the food is terrific and the service has always matched up. We had a great time here, and DH is still raving about the food.

Boma is our favorite restaurant on-site. I know, it's a buffet, but we've always had great food. They also have always seated us in one of the bump-out areas at smaller tables when there's only been two of us, so there's a bit more quiet and privacy at these tables. Even though it's buffet, so people going back and forth to the serving line, we find it less-hectic than Sanaa. Our 2 experiences at Sanaa (one late lunch, one early dinner, both in hopes of seeing animals) were not pleasant. We had window tables so should have had good animal viewing, but we constantly had children milling about because they wanted to see the animals but didn't have a window table. It's really awkward/unpleasant having strange children squirming up against you to get to the window to see a bird...

I will second the Teppan Edo and California Grill (could even try the brunch).

What's everyone's feelers on Paddlefish?

We could literally cry we're so happy. We got a 9 PM late dinner reservation for our very first night of our trip in June.
We wanted late anyway bc we fly in on a red eye and this gives time for an afternoon/evening nap, but also we can start our trip off with pure magic!
Which one? California Grill?

Hi, everyone. I’m looking for your best couple’s restaurant tips for our first us-only WDW trip next December. We do have the dining plan but aren’t opposed to paying out of pocket. We have been as a family multiple times, and our favorites include Ohana, BOG dinner back before it became prix fix, Boathouse, and (surprisingly to some) Chefs de France. We also like eating around the world bc we are usually there at F&W. We do not drink alcohol, so that isn’t a factor. We are foodies, and enjoy fun/interesting experiences but require the food to be really good. I’m also gluten intolerant, so that’s a factor. An amazing steak would be good for hubby, and we also like seafood. Really, we aren’t picky, outside of the food intolerance issue.

I’ve read some similar threads but thought with the no alcohol/gluten intolerance twist, I’d post and ask what the experts thought!

Thanks,
Dana
Based on what you described, I'd say Cali Grill, Flying Fish, and Citrico's jump to mind. Tiffin's could also be a good choice if you are feeling a little more adventurous. Of course, if you really want to go all out (and pay handsomely for the experience), there is always Victoria and Albert's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter