December 2023 Planning Thread

Where do I go to choose my fast passes etc on the app once I’m in the parks? Will they just pop up when I enter the park since I have genie plus.

Also, is there a way to search by restaurant for reservations. I’m only seeing the option where I input number of guests etc and it showed me every option.

I feel like a complete newbie here 🤷🏻‍♀️
You are Very wise to get familiar with the App ahead of time. Keep playing with it !! Dining reservation are found by taping the "+" inside a circle at the bottom then the Check Dining Availability box. Reservations open at 6am EST 60 days prior - so popular options can be gone by 7am. But keep looking, they come up unexpectedly!

Fast Pass is now Genie (free) or Genie+ (usually $20-$30/per day). Read up on Genie+ - if in your budget AND you understand how to use it, canbe a game changer.

You are Very wise to get familiar with the App ahead of time. Keep playing with it !! Dining reservation are found by taping the "+" inside a circle at the bottom then the Check Dining Availability box. Reservations open at 6am EST 60 days prior - so popular options can be gone by 7am. But keep looking, they come up unexpectedly!

Fast Pass is now Genie (free) or Genie+ (usually $20-$30/per day). Read up on Genie+ - if in your budget AND you understand how to use it, canbe a game changer.
We bought genie plus but didn’t realize there was a free genie as well. Definitely have to look into the differences!

You can look for LLs ( Genie+) by going to the Tip Board. Hit the 3 horizontal lines on the bottom bar of the app, choose Tip Board, and you can see the attraction wait times and see what LL slots are available. Always modify LLs, never cancel, to get the most use out of Genie+.

You can find specific restaurants by tapping on the magnifying glass in the bottom bar of the app and then entering the restaurant name. Then it will go to the restaurant’s page and there is a button for reserve dining (or join the walk-up list or mobile order). Or you can change the map function (pointer icon on bottom bar) to show dining and click on the restaurants on the map, which also will take you to the restaurant’s page.

But if you know what you’re after, don’t go via the “+”, go directly to the exact restaurant you’re interested in

Hello!

I have a 4 day park ticket burning a hole in my app, so I am planning on taking a solo DL trip 12/5-12/9 to soak in all of the Christmas goodness! I have always wanted to do a solo trip. My family thinks I’m really weird, but they just don’t understand! 😆

I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible, but good grief, the prices of nearby hotels have gotten crazy!!

After a lot of searching, I found Kings Inn for $115 a night. It’s not a close as I wanted, but it looks like a decent hotel and I couldn’t beat the price. And I’m not really planning on being in the room that much anyway.

I hope it all works out. I have booked several solo trips to WDW and DL and end up cancelling due to guilt of leaving the family and having some fun. My kids are all grown now (though still at home), but I can’t ever escape the mom guilt. 🙄

Hello!

I have a 4 day park ticket burning a hole in my app, so I am planning on taking a solo DL trip 12/5-12/9 to soak in all of the Christmas goodness! I have always wanted to do a solo trip. My family thinks I’m really weird, but they just don’t understand! 😆

I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible, but good grief, the prices of nearby hotels have gotten crazy!!

After a lot of searching, I found Kings Inn for $115 a night. It’s not a close as I wanted, but it looks like a decent hotel and I couldn’t beat the price. And I’m not really planning on being in the room that much anyway.

I hope it all works out. I have booked several solo trips to WDW and DL and end up cancelling due to guilt of leaving the family and having some fun. My kids are all grown now (though still at home), but I can’t ever escape the mom guilt. 🙄
Don't feel guilty! I'm in the same boat. My kids are grown and my DH doesn't want to go. I meet friends, go with my sister, sometimes my daughters, but I'm at the point of thinking it would be cool to try going solo.

An idea to consider for hotel might one outside the immediate DLR area that has a shuttle, like the Knott's Hotel next to Knott's Berry Farm. It has a free shuttle to DL and is cheaper than most of the motels near DLR. It's quite nice and you could fit in a trip to KBF as the tickets are cheap.

Remember the part of the airplane safety lecture about putting YOUR mask on first, then everyone else's? If a few days in the Parks is a recharge, that seems WAY more practical than hours of therapy or a serious dip in the drug/liquor pool lol.

Recharge, and store the trip away as a "happy place" - it's good to know it's there. When the world is too much for me, I remember walking down Main Street early before the crowds arrive, drinking a cup of coffee, and just breathing. I hope that works for you too!! Enjoy!!

Don't feel guilty! I'm in the same boat. My kids are grown and my DH doesn't want to go. I meet friends, go with my sister, sometimes my daughters, but I'm at the point of thinking it would be cool to try going solo.

An idea to consider for hotel might one outside the immediate DLR area that has a shuttle, like the Knott's Hotel next to Knott's Berry Farm. It has a free shuttle to DL and is cheaper than most of the motels near DLR. It's quite nice and you could fit in a trip to KBF as the tickets are cheap.
Thank you! I will definitely look into those hotels.
I grew up going to Knott’s Berry Farm…so many memories!

Remember the part of the airplane safety lecture about putting YOUR mask on first, then everyone else's? If a few days in the Parks is a recharge, that seems WAY more practical than hours of therapy or a serious dip in the drug/liquor pool lol.

Recharge, and store the trip away as a "happy place" - it's good to know it's there. When the world is too much for me, I remember walking down Main Street early before the crowds arrive, drinking a cup of coffee, and just breathing. I hope that works for you too!! Enjoy!!
Thank you!!

CLOSE CALL!

The wife and I have prepacked all our Disney shirts, gear, etc into our luggage for our Nov30-Dec4 trip. We've always done this very early prep as it's fun and helps with the wait.

We have not told our son because we wanted it to be a surprise. We're planning to tell him the week before so he's not too surprised.

Two days ago we bought Mickey luggage tags and put them on. Who notices these very obvious mickey shaped objects on our luggage? My six year old of course. Suddenly questions flew out which we were able to answer and say it's "For when we go travelling sometime..." It worked but the kid is turning into quite the detective...

Also he's learned to read the words my wife and I spell outloud which makes everything harder to H-I-D-E!

CLOSE CALL!

The wife and I have prepacked all our Disney shirts, gear, etc into our luggage for our Nov30-Dec4 trip. We've always done this very early prep as it's fun and helps with the wait.

We have not told our son because we wanted it to be a surprise. We're planning to tell him the week before so he's not too surprised.

Two days ago we bought Mickey luggage tags and put them on. Who notices these very obvious mickey shaped objects on our luggage? My six year old of course. Suddenly questions flew out which we were able to answer and say it's "For when we go travelling sometime..." It worked but the kid is turning into quite the detective...

Also he's learned to read the words my wife and I spell outloud which makes everything harder to H-I-D-E!
Our daughter will be five at the end of the month and so far, the "spelling words out loud" in order to communicate secrets is still working. I know it won't last long though!

Is anyone else rethinking their trip due to the updated refurb schedule?
I am so upset at the loss of Incredicoaster & Indiana Jones both.

We are east coasters. This is a huge trip for us and losing one ride would be a blow but to lose both is supremely disappointing.

We are east coasters. This is a huge trip for us and losing one ride would be a blow but to lose both is supremely disappointing.
I can understand your disappointment, for sure! But hopefully these will be short refurbs and will be back in the holiday schedule. I think at least Indy will be quick since it recently had a major overhaul. Maybe the closure is to do some holiday overlay for Incredicoaster? When is your trip? I do hope you will get to ride at least one of them.

I've been when major rides were down and it was still a lot of fun, but I definitely understand your disappointment. I do think there are many other things that will soften the blow should you find that both are closed for your entire trip. There really are lots of other cool rides and things to see and do. There is almost always one major ride out of commission no matter when I go but I find that it's not that big a deal once I'm there.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, though!!

YIPPEE…TJ Maxx had their first Christmas stuff out today…we’re getting closer, so excited…bought new Mickey Santa ornament and Mickey earrings! Took all my Disney Christmas outfits out of storage, washed and they’re ready to go. Just have a couple pair of new Christmas ears to finish….

YIPPEE…TJ Maxx had their first Christmas stuff out today…we’re getting closer, so excited…bought new Mickey Santa ornament and Mickey earrings! Took all my Disney Christmas outfits out of storage, washed and they’re ready to go. Just have a couple pair of new Christmas ears to fini

I can understand your disappointment, for sure! But hopefully these will be short refurbs and will be back in the holiday schedule. I think at least Indy will be quick since it recently had a major overhaul. Maybe the closure is to do some holiday overlay for Incredicoaster? When is your trip? I do hope you will get to ride at least one of them.

I've been when major rides were down and it was still a lot of fun, but I definitely understand your disappointment. I do think there are many other things that will soften the blow should you find that both are closed for your entire trip. There really are lots of other cool rides and things to see and do. There is almost always one major ride out of commission no matter when I go but I find that it's not that big a deal once I'm there.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, though!!
Oh man, I didn’t know about these closures. 😭

We are going 12/14-12/19– any chance you think one or both of these could be back up? 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Oh man, I didn’t know about these closures. 😭

We are going 12/14-12/19– any chance you think one or both of these could be back up? 🙏🏻🙏🏻
Looks like Indy is off the refurb list as of Dec 1st. Still showing refurbs for Incredicoaster, Mark Twain (sounds like that one will be a while since they are redoing the floors), and Astro Orbitor. They only release info one day at a time. It's super helpful for planning purposes (I am being sarcastic here 🤣)

Looks like Indy is off the refurb list as of Dec 1st. Still showing refurbs for Incredicoaster, Mark Twain (sounds like that one will be a while since they are redoing the floors), and Astro Orbitor. They only release info one day at a time. It's super helpful for planning purposes (I am being sarcastic here 🤣)
This would make my daughter's trip if Indy is open.

Now if they'd just open up Goofy's Kitchen reservations. This is the one freaking meal that is important to us, we have a party of 10 with a birthday on our actual date we want to get. Plus it's their first trip and I talked it up way too much. Me and my big old Disney mouth may bite me in the butt if I have to tell them I couldn't get the reservation.

Now if they'd just open up Goofy's Kitchen reservations. This is the one freaking meal that is important to us, we have a party of 10 with a birthday on our actual date we want to get. Plus it's their first trip and I talked it up way too much. Me and my big old Disney mouth may bite me in the butt if I have to tell them I couldn't get the reservation.
I'm waiting on Goofy's Kitchen too and we have 8 that we need to book for. My daughter specifically asked for it which was a huge surprise! Hoping they announce whatever holiday version they're doing soon so I can book it.

Fingers crossed Goofy's Kitchen opens soon and you can secure a reservation. It sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter