December 2023 Rental Car Thread

Rich M

DIS Veteran
I looked and didn't see any Rental Car Thread for December so wanted to start one in hopes that someone can help find some deals. So far everything has been priced so high. I am actually coming in on Nov 29th and Staying until Dec 8th. Hoping for any help that anyone can give on getting a lower price.

I currently have a 6 day compact SUV from Alamo via Costco for $394. Hoping it goes down, closer to $300 before our trip. I’ve priced out using Autoslash.com and have seen cheaper rentals, but they’re mainly offsite, requiring a shuttle, which I’m leery to do.

Book something cancellable

Determine if you are eligible for any corporate rates that May be less (employer, college alum, military-leisure, Costco etc). Price them out

Easy to ck rates thru auto slash $ rental car savers sites. Process of selecting your criteria. Easy to then filter results via on & off site

My holiday trip this year a bit tricky re rental. 11/25 thru 12/6 with a 4 night cruise. Looking at various scenarios

Pricing out 2 day rental:MCO to WDW, return to port canaveral

+

Pick up @ port canaveral/WDW/MCO

Or

Just keep for entire time and pay for 5 days of parking at port garage

:crazy: Talk about a hot mess

Book something cancellable

Determine if you are eligible for any corporate rates that May be less (employer, college alum, military-leisure, Costco etc). Price them out

Easy to ck rates thru auto slash $ rental car savers sites. Process of selecting your criteria. Easy to then filter results via on & off site

My holiday trip this year a bit tricky re rental. 11/25 thru 12/6 with a 4 night cruise. Looking at various scenarios

Pricing out 2 day rental:MCO to WDW, return to port canaveral

+

Pick up @ port canaveral/WDW/MCO

Or

Just keep for entire time and pay for 5 days of parking at port garage

:crazy: Talk about a hot mess
We did something similar a while back. We opted to just keep the rental and park at the port but our cruise was in the middle of our vacation. So we did 3 days at the world and 3 day cruise and then 4 days at the world. One thing I loved is that Disney held some of our luggage until we came back. That was a big help since we had a lot of luggage

One thing I loved is that Disney held some of our luggage until we came back.
Didn’t know bell services would do that. How did you arrange?

We usually just leave a park clothing bag in the vehicle. In July, even in covered garage, got so hot that the clothes in that bag felt
a bit damp

At the risk of being cheap, it annoys me (in a nuisance sort of way) that the garages add on a day to the actual cruise nights.

We usually just leave a park clothing bag in the vehicle. In July, even in covered garage, got so hot that the clothes in that bag felt
a bit damp

At the risk of being cheap, it annoys me (in a nuisance sort of way) that the garages add on a day to the actual cruise nights.
We were staying at AKL and asked the bell service and asked if they could hold it until we got back but also transfer it to Poly. They said no problem at all and when we got back it was at Poly.

They will transport luggage between the resorts for a split stay, for example. Helpful hint: put a tracker in at least one piece of luggage and you'll know when they arrive at the second hotel.

For "offsite" car rentals (which are sooo much cheaper for our time slot - but have steep cancellation policies for the lower rates) does anyone have thoughts on Fox vs NU as far as convenience?

Last edited:
They will transport luggage between the resorts for a split stay, for example. Helpful hint: put a tracker in at least one piece of luggage and you'll know when they arrive at the second hotel.
yes, all my luggage has the trackers. Such a good invention.

i was aware they’d transfer between hotels, didn’t think they would hold for 4 or 5 days (of cruise) before checking into the 2nd one tho

Has anyone from out of state gotten an EPASS for the tolls - would you just change the car license plate each trip? Thought this might beat walking to the other Terminal to pick up a Visitor Pass? I used Uber instead of renting a car after a fiasco with one of the companies and the tolls (which I'd paid in cash)... I really want the tolls to be lower stress. Thoughts?

For "offsite" car rentals (which are sooo much cheaper for our time slot - but have steep cancellation policies for the lower rates) does anyone have thoughts on Fox vs NU as far as convenience?
Be careful with companies like that because they often require proof of insurance and then when you can't provide it require you to take their $75 a day policy.

Has anyone from out of state gotten an EPASS for the tolls - would you just change the car license plate each trip? Thought this might beat walking to the other Terminal to pick up a Visitor Pass? I used Uber instead of renting a car after a fiasco with one of the companies and the tolls (which I'd paid in cash)... I really want the tolls to be lower stress. Thoughts?

I’ve gotten a UNI module from EPASS (cfxway.com), that I mount on the windshield and then register the rental on my account. It works well and you get charged discounted tolls. You do have to set up an account and put something like $20 in it. The only things you need to remember to do are to remove the unit from the car at the end of the rental and change the vehicle on your account for the unit. If you forget to do this, you can be charged for the next renter’s tolls as the car will default to toll by plate which is still associated with your account.

Is there any tolls on Martin Andersen Beachline Express(528) going into the Universal? Or on the I-4? Or is that just for the express lanes?

Be careful with companies like that because they often require proof of insurance and then when you can't provide it require you to take their $75 a day policy.
Fox car rental was excellent. We rented last year and the rate was a lot cheaper, but I reserved early also. Absolutely no issues with the pick up or drop off, used the shuttle. I would absolutely rent with fox again if price was cheaper, obviously airport pick up is more convenient, and worth paying more for this convenience. We had visa which has coverage for car rental, I didn't have to provide anything. But we did decline their insurance.

We were staying at AKL and asked the bell service and asked if they could hold it until we got back but also transfer it to Poly. They said no problem at all and when we got back it was at Poly.
Will they only do that if it's a Disney cruise? We are doing something similar 12/26-1/4 but the cruise is Royal Caribbean.

I currently have a 6 day compact SUV from Alamo via Costco for $394. Hoping it goes down, closer to $300 before our trip. I’ve priced out using Autoslash.com and have seen cheaper rentals, but they’re mainly offsite, requiring a shuttle, which I’m leery to do.
We have been checking and got a good price but not that good. Also checking with Costco as it seems to be the best price. I won't use Fox or any off name as I have heard they don't honour the insurance that comes with our credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter