December 28 Crowds are Insane

I always knew Disney parks are crazy during christmas. I would love to see the declarations but not worth waiting 4 hours for lol

WOW... where's the fun waiting in line 4 hours for a few minutes ride?

Back in the days before the internet, when Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain came out, both of those were 3+ hour long waits, and fast pass wasn't even thought of yet. For some people, they'll wait as long as needed to ride their favorite ride, especially if they may not be back anytime soon.

Back in the days before the internet, when Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain came out, both of those were 3+ hour long waits, and fast pass wasn't even thought of yet. For some people, they'll wait as long as needed to ride their favorite ride, especially if they may not be back anytime soon.

We waited 4 hours for Indiana Jones when it first opened. We went specifically to ride that one attraction and were fine with waiting. We had fun. The queue went from Adventureland, to Main Street, and switched backed in Frontierland.

I remember waiting that long for Space when it first opened!! And Rocket Rods, when you just stayed in line when it went down because it wasn't worth losing your place after 2-3 hours.

I remember waiting that long for Space when it first opened!! And Rocket Rods, when you just stayed in line when it went down because it wasn't worth losing your place after 2-3 hours.

It was like that for RSR too. It went down A LOT when it first opened. I remember not leaving my spot in line because I didn't want to have to wait again later.

I also remember going to Star Tours the night it opened. DLR stayed open for 60 hours straight. I was in college (yes, I'm that old!), and we drove down from Santa Barbara at about 11:00pm because we heard about the opening on the radio...and thought it would be a good idea to go. Ah, college. Anyway, we got in line for Star Tours when it was still dark outside, and by the time we actually got off the ride, it was light out. Now that's a long line!

I'm sure glad I'm not there now. I went over the Christmas holiday in 2004, will never do that again. I thought the summer crowds were bad, boy was I wrong. But I'm glad to hear some of you Disers are still having a good time. I still had a good time when I went then, and enjoyed all the Christmas decorations. I'll only go again during that time if I'm rich enough to hire my own guide so I don't have to wait in lines. :rolleyes:

Rain this morning has slowed the crowds quite a bit. We've already done Space, buzz twice, Star tours, Indy, HM, Jingle Cruise and in line for POC (15 min wait) now.

Last edited:
We were at DL on 27th and DCA on 28th and both days were terrible! 25th & 26th were much better IMO and glad we were able to ride RSR on 26th since we never got to ride it again on 28th when the wait was 240 minutes.

Wow! All I can say is wow. I always wonder if it is as bad as they say over Christmas week....sounds like it is!!
Well they always say Christmas Eve is onenof the busiest days, and I've gone many many times to find them just fine this year included.

Well they always say Christmas Eve is onenof the busiest days, and I've gone many many times to find them just fine this year included.

My DH is a teacher so we have to go over school breaks, which is kind of a pain. Although our east coast spring break tends to be different than west coast spring breaks so that has worked out for us in the past with DL. I was at WDW for Easter once and it was pretty crowded and crazy the whole week. After that, I have stayed away from holiday weeks in the parks. Although I'd love to see DL at the holidays. We've done a long weekend in early Dec to see WDW holiday decorations, but a long weekend is harder Boston to CA with the time change, lomg flight, young kids, etc. So, I think if I ever want to see DL all decorated,I'll have to go over the xmas break.

IMHO, many people over hype Christmas Eve and Day. It is always worse the 26-31st. We've been doing this 17 years, and found this year no different that others.

IMHO, many people over hype Christmas Eve and Day. It is always worse the 26-31st. We've been doing this 17 years, and found this year no different that others.
That's good to hear. I wouldn't mind trying Christmas Day sometime since they stopped serving special holiday meals in Christmas Eve and now only on Christmas Day. Although I've had great luck with 12/24, I have stayed away from DL for Christmas Day for that very reason. After seeing these threads this year, it really shows that the week after is the real crazy time. Good to know.

That's good to hear. I wouldn't mind trying Christmas Day sometime since they stopped serving special holiday meals in Christmas Eve and now only on Christmas Day. Although I've had great luck with 12/24, I have stayed away from DL for Christmas Day for that very reason. After seeing these threads this year, it really shows that the week after is the real crazy time. Good to know.
There are some years it is worse than this year, but I only rememeber 1 year we had a closure on Christmas Day, and don't remember any one Eve. The PPH did have a Christmas Eve dinner. I thought several other places did also. We did Christmas Tea at Steakhouse on Christmas eve.

I would definitely go on the 24th again. The 25th and after but I know what to be in for. Planning and patience are key, and I would go. :)

Any time is a good time.... unless they run out of Matterhorn Macaroons when I want them. And beignets. And the dole whip machines break down. And all of the rides are closed. :)

There are some years it is worse than this year, but I only rememeber 1 year we had a closure on Christmas Day, and don't remember any one Eve. The PPH did have a Christmas Eve dinner. I thought several other places did also. We did Christmas Tea at Steakhouse on Christmas eve.

They all used to. We used to go to Storyteller Cafe for Christmas eve dinner. They stopped doing the special holiday offerings there a few years ago. Such a shame too because it was a really nice way to complete the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter