Deciding between MW and Princess (10k or half)

Haley R

DIS Veteran
Dh and I have never done a rundisney event but have always wanted to and are planning on trying in 2023. We live an hour away so would be driving over. I can’t decide if we should do MW or princess. I’m leaning towards MW based on theme but I’m a little worried about the possibility for super cold temps.

I’m also not sure which event to try signing up for (deciding between 10k and half). Dh has run a half before and is very capable. I love running but have tendinitis in both knees. I’m worried I’ll have issues and not be able to do a half. I’ve run a 10k before but it’s been years because of the knee pain. I can usually run a 5k comfortably at an 11 minute pace but occasionally my knees will flare up. Running the half seems awesome since it goes through MK. Can anyone give any thoughts?

I would maybe lean toward Princess, so you have some time to get some running in before registration to make sure that your knees can handle the miles. I will say that running through Magic Kingdom is ridiculously awesome, so if you can handle the half, do it.

I would maybe lean toward Princess, so you have some time to get some running in before registration to make sure that your knees can handle the miles. I will say that running through Magic Kingdom is ridiculously awesome, so if you can handle the half, do it.
Thanks I think that’s a good idea too. The MW registration is so soon and I don’t want to sign up without knowing if my knees will give me trouble.

What do you think about a 10k for MW and then trying the half for princess? Do you think that would be too close?

Some thoughts......

--Weather is unpredictable. My first marathon at Disney was the year of the freeze (2010), but that was actually fine by me. More so than say, 2020 when the marathon was shortened due to heat. Point is, it can be hard to know. That said, I think Princess weekend would be reliably warmer. I have been down there twice for that and it was warm and humid.

--Theming. This is a matter of personal preference and may influence your choice. They have released the theme for MW. It's very....early 90's .....in "celebration" of the first Marathon in '94. Check it out. Princess weekend races have Princess themes, which may/may not be you/your DH's cup of tea.

--Timing. During MW, the 10k is on Friday vs PW it is on Saturday. And 1/2 for MW is Saturday, vs Sunday for PW. Depending on your work/vacation timing, this may play into your decision.

Given your uncertainty regarding your knees, and the fact that MW registrations starts next week (for general public) I would also suggest going for Princess--or even see what the next Springtime Suprise series. Meanwhile, you can work on the fundamentals: good shoes, good training, good strengthening/attention to the body parts that are uncooperative.

Good luck.

Some thoughts......

--Weather is unpredictable. My first marathon at Disney was the year of the freeze (2010), but that was actually fine by me. More so than say, 2020 when the marathon was shortened due to heat. Point is, it can be hard to know. That said, I think Princess weekend would be reliably warmer. I have been down there twice for that and it was warm and humid.

--Theming. This is a matter of personal preference and may influence your choice. They have released the theme for MW. It's very....early 90's .....in "celebration" of the first Marathon in '94. Check it out. Princess weekend races have Princess themes, which may/may not be you/your DH's cup of tea.

--Timing. During MW, the 10k is on Friday vs PW it is on Saturday. And 1/2 for MW is Saturday, vs Sunday for PW. Depending on your work/vacation timing, this may play into your decision.

Given your uncertainty regarding your knees, and the fact that MW registrations starts next week (for general public) I would also suggest going for Princess--or even see what the next Springtime Suprise series. Meanwhile, you can work on the fundamentals: good shoes, good training, good strengthening/attention to the body parts that are uncooperative.

Good luck.
Thank you! I think we’ll try for princess because I don’t want to rush into the MW registration without thinking it through. We ran a 2 mile race yesterday and my knees were fine but when I start running consistently my knees hurt. Usually if I run cold without training I do better but that won’t be possible for this. I also have plantar fasciitis. I’m wearing arch supports and saucony running shoes with a thicker sole, suggested by my doctor.

Thank you! I think we’ll try for princess because I don’t want to rush into the MW registration without thinking it through. We ran a 2 mile race yesterday and my knees were fine but when I start running consistently my knees hurt. Usually if I run cold without training I do better but that won’t be possible for this. I also have plantar fasciitis. I’m wearing arch supports and saucony running shoes with a thicker sole, suggested by my doctor.
Just jumping in to add I've had knee problems for many years (and plantar fasciitis for a period of time - healed by a rolling technique recommended by a friend) and was "prescribed" to visit a local running store by my orthopedist after an injury. The doctor is also a runner and recommended certain insoles and to be fitted for better running shoes, and this was a total game changer. With the right shoes and insoles my knee pain has been virtually nonexistent, and I even received a discount on my purchases because I was referred by a doctor. All this to say, since you've got a good amount of time to train, perhaps a visit to a good local running store and a trial of different types of shoes might help make your running experience less painful. Good luck!

Just jumping in to add I've had knee problems for many years (and plantar fasciitis for a period of time - healed by a rolling technique recommended by a friend) and was "prescribed" to visit a local running store by my orthopedist after an injury. The doctor is also a runner and recommended certain insoles and to be fitted for better running shoes, and this was a total game changer. With the right shoes and insoles my knee pain has been virtually nonexistent, and I even received a discount on my purchases because I was referred by a doctor. All this to say, since you've got a good amount of time to train, perhaps a visit to a good local running store and a trial of different types of shoes might help make your running experience less painful. Good luck!
What shoes and insoles did you end up getting?

What shoes and insoles did you end up getting?
The orthopedist recommended SuperFeet insoles. They make a lot of different insoles. This was years ago, but when I went to the store I think they had me stand on something to decide which type I should get. They put them in each pair of running shoes they had me try on (I tried on a lot of pairs that day). These are the ones I ended up with:
https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/green
I have flat feet, so I wear them in almost all of my sneakers (everyday or running - the only ones I don’t wear them in is sneakers that are too narrow, like Converse).

That same day I ended up getting Brooks Glycerin sneakers. I wasn’t a huge fan of the color but I learned that day not to make the look of my running sneakers a priority. I don’t remember which version they were now but I loved those shoes! I went back to try to buy another pair but they were sold out. I ended up getting my next pair through Fit2Run at a runDisney expo (they didn’t have them at the expo but I was able to order them and have them delivered to my house). I bought a pair a Glycerin 19s online recently from Brooks but they’re not the same anymore. Right now I’m running in the Brooks Aurora BLs. They were expensive but worth the price for how they feel to me. I can’t wear my insoles in them (too narrow) but it doesn’t bother me at all because of how the shoe is made. I ran my first marathon in them this year without issue. I just bought another pair because they’re starting to sell out, and since they’re from the blue line they won’t make them again.

If you haven’t been fitted at a reputable running store yet I strongly recommend it. The right shoes make a big difference, and everyone needs different things!

The orthopedist recommended SuperFeet insoles. They make a lot of different insoles. This was years ago, but when I went to the store I think they had me stand on something to decide which type I should get. They put them in each pair of running shoes they had me try on (I tried on a lot of pairs that day). These are the ones I ended up with:
I have flat feet, so I wear them in almost all of my sneakers (everyday or running - the only ones I don’t wear them in is sneakers that are too narrow, like Converse).

That same day I ended up getting Brooks Glycerin sneakers. I wasn’t a huge fan of the color but I learned that day not to make the look of my running sneakers a priority. I don’t remember which version they were now but I loved those shoes! I went back to try to buy another pair but they were sold out. I ended up getting my next pair through Fit2Run at a runDisney expo (they didn’t have them at the expo but I was able to order them and have them delivered to my house). I bought a pair a Glycerin 19s online recently from Brooks but they’re not the same anymore. Right now I’m running in the Brooks Aurora BLs. They were expensive but worth the price for how they feel to me. I can’t wear my insoles in them (too narrow) but it doesn’t bother me at all because of how the shoe is made. I ran my first marathon in them this year without issue. I just bought another pair because they’re starting to sell out, and since they’re from the blue line they won’t make them again.

If you haven’t been fitted at a reputable running store yet I strongly recommend it. The right shoes make a big difference, and everyone needs different things!
I had a similar experience at Fit2Run. Like you, I have flat feet and they had me stand on the machine that analyzes your foot type. They brought out this plain looking pair of Asics which I was not a fan of because of the color. My poor wife humored me when I spent 30-45 minutes trying on every shoe that I could find that was eye catching (Hoka One, Brooks, etc). At the end of the day, I walked out with the Asics that they initially had me try on. I ended up loving them, ran the marathon in them and bought another pair when it was finally time to retire them. However, this time I was able to order a stylish pair on Amazon for less money.

I'll never stop being frustrated with what they did to Glycerin. Totally baffled.

I’m so glad to know it’s not just me!
I was stunned when I tried last year's version. It was way smaller, and I wanted to believe that a size up would be sufficient, convinced myself that it would be fine, but I still ended up having issues as I dug into MW training. On top of that, the heel is higher, so my ankles kept getting cut up due to wearing no-show socks. I solved that issue by buying quarter lengths and the best I can describe it is that I managed things through MW without it becoming too much of an issue, but yeah, I'm VERY excited to switch to a different pair, def going to visit a running store and ask them what I should be wearing instead.

I'd love to hear what you guys felt was different about the new glycerin. I usually use ghosts but have mixed in a pair of glycerins in the past for recovery runs. I was considering ordering a pair of the new ones for that purpose as I finally need to replace my old ones. They are maybe 2 version older than the current ones.

I'll never stop being frustrated with what they did to Glycerin. Totally baffled.

I’m so glad to know it’s not just me!

Definitely not just you, although my issues were earlier. They broke them for me when they went from the 13s to 14s. I loved my Glycerins and had been wearing them since the 5s. It did end up being a net positive for me in the end, though, as I settled in the Ghosts which are not only cheaper, I can get >80 miles more out of a pair.

I'd love to hear what you guys felt was different about the new glycerin. I usually use ghosts but have mixed in a pair of glycerins in the past for recovery runs. I was considering ordering a pair of the new ones for that purpose as I finally need to replace my old ones. They are maybe 2 version older than the current ones.
Almost everything.

- As mentioned above, the sizing is off. I'm a 10.5 in general, was a 10.5 for my 2019 Glycerins (I think they were version 15? IIRC it was a prior year model on sale), probably should have been an 11.5 but made the mistake of sticking with size 11. I ended up having some lower calf pain that I was able to alleviate by loosening the laces.
- Also mentioned above, the heel change. The higher heel would rub up against my skin and I'd inevitably start bleeding within a mile. Paid for a bunch of pairs of new running socks so that wouldn't happen anymore, not the worst thing in the world but annoying.
- On top of those issues, they also changed the fabric of the upper, from some sort of synthetic material to more of a knit, and I'm guessing the new material is cheaper. It was the first red flag and I should have just gone with my suspicion and bailed but I loved my old pair, had no foot issues with my first marathon.

If you're wondering why I didn't go back to the running store to get a new pair, well... good question. I thought I could tough it out (and did), and I did consider buying a pair of Nike Pegasus, which was my first dedicated running shoe and one I had faith that it didn't undergo a big redesign. Ultimately I didn't want to make another change so close to the marathon.

Anyway, apologies for this drifting off-topic!

Just jumping in to say I ran my first runDisney race this year (Princess 10k) and had a blast! Even though it’s not the marquee event at any race weekend, we enjoyed the course as it covers two parks without too many boring freeway miles. It was nice just doing one race that isn’t too long so we weren’t worried about taking it easy in the parks beforehand or watching our nutrition. It was the perfect way to get our feet wet at a runDisney race. It was hot (for me, as I am from MN) but since the race isn’t too long we were fine. We were glad we didn’t have to freeze in the corrals this way.

Just jumping in to say I ran my first runDisney race this year (Princess 10k) and had a blast! Even though it’s not the marquee event at any race weekend, we enjoyed the course as it covers two parks without too many boring freeway miles. It was nice just doing one race that isn’t too long so we weren’t worried about taking it easy in the parks beforehand or watching our nutrition. It was the perfect way to get our feet wet at a runDisney race. It was hot (for me, as I am from MN) but since the race isn’t too long we were fine. We were glad we didn’t have to freeze in the corrals this way.
Going through 2 parks for the 10K was brand new for MW and Princess this year. I did love the old course (which the Springtime Surprise 10K this year was more similar to), but I hope they keep the new one!

I think we’ll end up trying the 10k and see how it goes.

I’ve never been fitted for insoles so I probably need to do that. I believe my current insoles are power step brand. I have flat feet also and they got much worse after being pregnant two years ago. My shoes are saucony endorphins. I walk for an hour every day but haven’t gotten back into running. Even just walking my feet get sore. I don’t have any knee pain from walking though

Definitely not just you, although my issues were earlier. They broke them for me when they went from the 13s to 14s. I loved my Glycerins and had been wearing them since the 5s. It did end up being a net positive for me in the end, though, as I settled in the Ghosts which are not only cheaper, I can get >80 miles more out of a pair.

Almost everything.

- As mentioned above, the sizing is off. I'm a 10.5 in general, was a 10.5 for my 2019 Glycerins (I think they were version 15? IIRC it was a prior year model on sale), probably should have been an 11.5 but made the mistake of sticking with size 11. I ended up having some lower calf pain that I was able to alleviate by loosening the laces.
- Also mentioned above, the heel change. The higher heel would rub up against my skin and I'd inevitably start bleeding within a mile. Paid for a bunch of pairs of new running socks so that wouldn't happen anymore, not the worst thing in the world but annoying.
- On top of those issues, they also changed the fabric of the upper, from some sort of synthetic material to more of a knit, and I'm guessing the new material is cheaper. It was the first red flag and I should have just gone with my suspicion and bailed but I loved my old pair, had no foot issues with my first marathon.

If you're wondering why I didn't go back to the running store to get a new pair, well... good question. I thought I could tough it out (and did), and I did consider buying a pair of Nike Pegasus, which was my first dedicated running shoe and one I had faith that it didn't undergo a big redesign. Ultimately I didn't want to make another change so close to the marathon.

Anyway, apologies for this drifting off-topic!
Interestingly enough, when I was having some foot/ankle issues I decided to switch my everyday sneakers to a pair of Brooks. I bought Ghost 13s for the first time at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale. I have no idea what they're like for running, but I like them for casual wear!

I started going through my photos to see what kinds I've had. My originals were 14s and I loved them, so I can only imagine how good the 13s were @camaker lol. The second pair I ordered with Fit2Run were 17s, and then the ones I have now are 19s. The 19s are definitely the worst out of the ones I've owned, and I won't be buying another pair.

I think I share the same concerns as @fatmanatee. The sizing is definitely off. I wear the same size in my Auroras and my Ghosts without issue. They don't feel too small when I put them on, but after a long run I can tell that my toes were rubbing because the tips are sore (not enough to cause a blister, but I feel it). The heel change must make a difference for me as well because they're just not comfortable in the ankle. I haven't experienced the ankle rub issue but it feels almost restricting. I can get away with a shorter run in them, but eventually the tips of my toes and my knees start to bother me, so I know they're no good. I did wear them for the Princess 10K and the Everest 5K this year, but only because I like to alternate my shoes when possible.

I had bought mine online, and while I could've returned them I didn't feel like going through the hassle. I'll probably retire them to my strictly walking on the treadmill shoes (not running, I tried that once and it was worse than running with them outdoors). It's disappointing though because I loved my original pair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter