Deciding on Goofy v. Dopey

GirlfromTN

DIS Veteran
Looking for some advice here :)
I regularly run half marathons but haven't tried a full yet. I've decided to try to register for the 2022 Marathon, and since I'll have time to train, I'm considering one of the challenges. I've read lots of reviews and it seems like the 5k and 10k are just really crowded (at least they were pre-covid), the courses aren't as interesting, and not sure if it really worth the extra travel time, cost, and early morning wakeups (!) to do the Dopey. Would I be seriously missing anything if I signed up for the Goofy challenge and skipped the 5k and 10k? I'm struggling to decide because this likely won't be a regular event for me; the only other runDisney race I've done was the Princess half and that was way back in 2016. So, given that this is the 50th anniversary year for the Marathon weekend I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and try for the Dopey...any thoughts/advice?

Looking for some advice here :)
I regularly run half marathons but haven't tried a full yet. I've decided to try to register for the 2022 Marathon, and since I'll have time to train, I'm considering one of the challenges. I've read lots of reviews and it seems like the 5k and 10k are just really crowded (at least they were pre-covid), the courses aren't as interesting, and not sure if it really worth the extra travel time, cost, and early morning wakeups (!) to do the Dopey. Would I be seriously missing anything if I signed up for the Goofy challenge and skipped the 5k and 10k? I'm struggling to decide because this likely won't be a regular event for me; the only other runDisney race I've done was the Princess half and that was way back in 2016. So, given that this is the 50th anniversary year for the Marathon weekend I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and try for the Dopey...any thoughts/advice?

Do you find you ever suffer from FOMO? Will you personally dampen your own achievement when you see others do more?

That's usually the cutline for me on whether someone should do Goofy vs Dopey. If you don't really suffer from FOMO and seeing others do Dopey wouldn't cause you any disappointment about your own personal accomplishment, then do Goofy if that's truly what you want. But if you find yourself ever having that FOMO feeling in life, then you might want to do Dopey. For some people it effects them to see others do Dopey when they do "just" (a tough word) a half marathon, marathon, or Goofy. But for other people, that FOMO isn't really a thing. But keep in mind, each distance is an accomplishment.

From a training standpoint, if you're well prepared to run a marathon, then you can run Goofy or Dopey as well. The four consecutive days of waking up is often cited as the more challenging aspect of Dopey. Although for others, those wake-ups aren't all that hard. It's a personal thing. So usually when choosing between Goofy/Dopey it comes down to, "Do I have enough time off to be there for those days (including Expo day on Wednesday for Dopey, or Friday for Goofy)?", and "Will I suffer FOMO?"

Thanks. I don’t really worry about the FOMO since I would be perfectly happy with the 3 medals and 3 shirts; the addition of a 5k and 10k don’t seem that significant of a challenge to me other than the early wake ups! I guess I’m really wondering if anyone thinks it is truly a more fun experience to do the 5k/10k as well, enough so to make it worth the extra travel days. Or are those two races really just “more of the same” and the half and full are the really key ones to experience?

Thanks. I don’t really worry about the FOMO since I would be perfectly happy with the 3 medals and 3 shirts; the addition of a 5k and 10k don’t seem that significant of a challenge to me other than the early wake ups! I guess I’m really wondering if anyone thinks it is truly a more fun experience to do the 5k/10k as well, enough so to make it worth the extra travel days. Or are those two races really just “more of the same” and the half and full are the really key ones to experience?

I did Dopey five times in a row. So I always thought the additional 5k/10k was worth it to me. The FOMO wasn't really a thing for me, but the extra challenge of running the 5k/10k in addition to the HM/M is what drew me to runDisney in the first place. Of course, I took it a step even further and coined the Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge in which you attempt to PR in all four races and associated challenges as non-first time efforts. Obviously compared to the HM/M the 5k/10k are short distances. So they can be over fairly quickly depending on your pace. But the 5k is nice because it's low pressure in terms of timing (if you can move you're unlikely to get swept). I like to run. So even if I wasn't doing the 5k/10k officially, I would likely still have been doing some sort of running during my taper before the HM/M.

I guess the other consideration are the course differences, but these are always subject to change. Here are the course maps from 2020:

The 5k route takes you through EPCOT WS at night. Something the more recent HM/M course have not done.

The 5k/10k course are similar. The additional mileage in the 10k comes from more highway and the inclusion of the Boardwalk. So if you had family spectators who wanted to see you at dark running past the Boardwalk, then that's a gain there. Or if you wanted to run through the Boardwalk with all the signs lit up and such. Because by the time you make it to the Boardwalk for the M, it will be daylight.

The HM and M do share a lot of the same route in the beginning. So for some of the larger items (think Jack Sparrow's ship), they're likely to be the same.

Traditionally, the 10k and Full have the best courses, in my opinion, but there isn’t anything must do about the 5k/10k if you don’t really want to run them or have any concerns about the added travel days and/or expense.

I think, after you’ve run a Half Marathon and Full Marathon, there is a natural inclination to think, “well, why didn’t I run the 5k and 10k too?” regardless of how happy you are with the decision to run Goofy.

The one thing I will say about Dopey: there is something about being there for every race the whole week. I don’t really get FOMO, but it’s the exact opposite feeling; I know I’m there for everything.

This is really a very personal question - it just matters what's important to you. I've done Goofy three times and Dopey twice, and I plan on registering for Dopey again in 2022. I like the challenge of doing all four races, and of course getting ALL the shirts/medals. That being said, the times I did just the Goofy challenge, it was nice to sleep in two extra days and have plenty of time to get to the expo later in the week. If you also plan on going to the parks, the extra rest you get by skipping the 5K/10K is nice. If this just a "once every few years" kind of thing with you, I'd give serious consideration to doing Dopey. Why not go all in for the full challenge? It's an amazing experience! :teeth: Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

I've done both now and will be going back to do Goofy again this year. As usual, DopeyBadger lays out the information in a great way so I will just add my perspective. The first time I did Goofy I definitely wish I had registered for Dopey instead. The FOMO was real, especially after the marathon on Sunday/Monday seeing everyone walk around with the extra hardware from Dopey. Having now completed Dopey, I can also say that I agree that the extra miles didn't make that much of a difference. I chose to do the 5-K and 10-K with two of my daughters who aren't that into running, so we took them pretty easy and that definitely helped too. I decided on Goofy this year because of the extra time (and cost) that goes into Dopey (in addition to the registration fee difference). Dopey means traveling down by Wednesday and therefore at least two more nights in a hotel for me (plus food, etc.). Since I will be doing this year's trip solo, I like being able to head down on Friday and save those couple extra days with essentially the same level of running challenge. Can't go wrong either way though!

I've had the same debate and it sounds like we're going in opposite directions, I'm planning on signing up for Dopey. The first two races are definitely the least important for me, but they'll be good for getting my legs warmed up, maybe some photo ops (I want to just focus on just running for the last two races), and also get acclimated to 3 am wake-up calls. I had an awful time sleeping before my first marathon due to being hyped up (and the wake-up time wasn't nearly as bad) so I'm hoping resetting my sleep clock starting on Thursday makes things easier on Sunday.

Also I definitely get FOMO, and who knows if I'll end up doing this again in the future so might as well knock it all out in one shot.

I've had the same debate and it sounds like we're going in opposite directions, I'm planning on signing up for Dopey. The first two races are definitely the least important for me, but they'll be good for getting my legs warmed up, maybe some photo ops (I want to just focus on just running for the last two races), and also get acclimated to 3 am wake-up calls. I had an awful time sleeping before my first marathon due to being hyped up (and the wake-up time wasn't nearly as bad) so I'm hoping resetting my sleep clock starting on Thursday makes things easier on Sunday.

Also I definitely get FOMO, and who knows if I'll end up doing this again in the future so might as well knock it all out in one shot.
Great point on resetting sleep clock. Many good considerations for both sides - I need to get my decision made soon before registration opens :)

Lots of great advice on this thread! I did Dopey in 2019- I just want to echo that Dopey is more of EVERYTHING-, $$$$ upfront and overall, days needed to be there (esp in for possible flight delays/bad weather in Jan), nights in hotels, early AM wake-up, early bed times, extra pairs of shoes, throw away clothing for bad weather, hot weather options, freezing cold options, costumes, training sims during holiday weekends (Thanksgiving) - that being said it is a TON of FUN.
When I "just" did Goofy in 2020- it was a bit tough to swallow how unappreciated that accomplishment was- even at Disney. It was an anniversary year for Goofy and there was hardly any merch- although some fun photo ops. Had I not already done Dopey- the FOMO and ongoing justification (Oh you did Goofy- why didn't you do Dopey?) all weekend might have gotten to me even more. Being aware of that going into it is important. The 5K and 10K races are crowded and becoming my least favorite races at Disney, I didn't miss them at all during my Goofy weekend.
My new "goal" is to go and "just do the Marathon"!

I had a reply, but now I'll just say "What @DopeyBadger" said. I have done both challenges and the individual races. I plan to just sign up for the Marathon in 2022.

I found the 5k course (I think it was that one) from 2018 to be dreadful. The first mile was parking lot and idling buses. Nothing kills "I run to be healthy" more than breathing in diesel fumes for a good long stretch. Maybe that changed for the last couple versions, but Ew.

That said, I consider doing Dopey (and BQ'ing in the process) my proudest running accomplishment. And it makes non-runner's jaws drop when you tell them what it is--which is a lot of fun. :)

Yeah, also what DopeyBadger said...and Barca33Runner. I've done both Goofy and Dopey and will say the favorite combination I did was the 10K and Marathon (which is not an official challenge though I think it should be :) ) As Barca33Runner said, those are easily my two favorite courses and getting the day off in between to sleep in and rest was awesome. But, I'm someone who definitely felt some FOMO when I "just" did Goofy and so ultimately did do a Dopey challenge. I'll say now that having done it once, I felt like it was probably a one and done for me.

The “just” phenomenon of Marathon Weekend is real. 99% of the time it is unintentional and non-malicious but you’ve got to be very confident of yourself and your decisions to not have it seep in while you’re there.

Whether it’s the announcers asking, “where are all the Dopey’s at?”, or some variation thereof, an obnoxious number of times. Conversations with non-runners asking about the weekend where they learn of Dopey and then ask you whether you’re doing that too. Or even conversations with CMs and other runners it just comes up everywhere.

It was that way before Dopey and I can’t really picture how it would stop. (Although the announcers doing a much better job of self-awareness would go a long way)

I’m also in this dilemma, although i have the additional hurdle of it being a solo trip and DH can only take 2 days off from work. So I would either have to arrange for a sitter on Wednesday and fly down that day and go directly to the expo to get my bibs and then fly home Sunday after the marathon (and doesn’t that just sound awful?!)

So really I can “only” do goofy and I will definitely be jealous of all of the dopeys.

The first year I did Marathon Weekend I did the 10k + Goofy and regretted not just doing Dopey once I felt how Dopey-centric the atmosphere was. The next two years I ran Dopey and loved it. At that point I said “I’ve done Dopey now, so I’ll just do Goofy and save some $$$ and vacation time”. Boy was that a mistake. I regretted not doing Dopey the whole weekend. It just felt wrong to me. I’ve been back to being a happy Dopey ever since and will be again this year, registration permitting.

I’m also in this dilemma, although i have the additional hurdle of it being a solo trip and DH can only take 2 days off from work. So I would either have to arrange for a sitter on Wednesday and fly down that day and go directly to the expo to get my bibs and then fly home Sunday after the marathon (and doesn’t that just sound awful?!)

So really I can “only” do goofy and I will definitely be jealous of all of the dopeys.
Solo trip for me as well which is making me lean towards Goofy. It is a lot of $$ to spend on a hotel room just for me. Cannot convince any of my friends (casual runners at best…) to join me! 🥺

I did Dopey in 2019 and loved the experience! I really enjoy the 10K course. The part on the Boardwalk is probably my favorite Run Disney segment of any race besides MK. In 2020, I did the 5K and 10K for a number of reasons and I felt like I had to keep explaining myself to other runners. I was like "I did Dopey last year, I just couldn't this year." As if I needed some justification for only doing two short races. I'm hoping to do Dopey again in 2022 and that might be the last year for me.

I think if you can afford it and are interested you should do it once. It really is quite an experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter