Decorating Own Space

Searc

DIS Veteran
If you have a space that is exclusively yours ~ a den, craft room, she shed, etc how do you have it decorated?

I'll finally have a room that is all my own in our new house and I'm excited to decorate it once we move, but I don't know where to start. :) It is a den, so it doesn't have a closet, but it does have a built in bookcase, which is great, because it will be my library/reading room/craft space. It is a small space, 12x10. It has one window and the door is on the adjoining wall.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. :flower1:

My entire house is my own space, and it is pretty much decorated in "nerd stuff" all over, and that includes plenty of Disney stuff. I'm a guy, so things like video game accessories count as decor (amiibos!) and there is lots of Star Wars represented too. It's not exactly chic or fitting in a good feng shui, but I like it just fine. :cool:

Last edited:
I would definitely look at Pinterest for ideas and maybe even look at apps like Zillow to get inspired by how people decorate/stage their own houses.

I took over our guest bedroom. It's not a huge room and since the bed and treadmill take up so much space I have a small bookshelf, cube organizer for office supplies and stationery, and small desk. This is where I keep my fangirl stuff. I have a bulletin board above my desk with pins, photos, memorabilia, buttons, etc. My Saints collectables, Disney merch, Harry Potter framed posters are all in that room.

I just recently framed a Haunted Mansion poster and will hang that soon. The walls are a sage green color.

I've honestly been inspired by the DIS Unplugged team's rooms where they do the podcasts!

We just moved into a new house and it finally had space for me to set up my "man cave." Technically, it's a Batman themed man cave, or Batcave for short. Most of the decorations are Batman themed. But one of my four book cases is Mickey Mouse and one of the shelves on my curio cabinet is dedicated to Mickey too. to be fair, the curio covers a lot of my stuff, Batman, Mickey, KISS, and pro wrestling.

I have a large room for just me.....computer/craft room.
Decorated Disney, of course. Posters, family pictures on trips, mostly Merryweather, but other things as well.
Die cast ride vehicles, figurines.

My "piano" room is my room. It's where I DIS on my old style computer and listen to music. It's decorated in mostly photos and my lighthouse collection. I also have a day bed in here where I can read or just watch nature outside my windows.

The piano, btw is the very first thing I ever bought to put in my very first apartment. I used to play it all the time but now my sons will some times play and the grandkids bang on it quite often. Best music to a Grandma's ear! :love:

Have fun decorating and enjoying your room Searc. :goodvibes

IKEA has some great free standing cabinets that are very nice looking and could serve as a closet for extra storage.

Another suggestion is to think how you will use it and then make the pieces you put in there multi purpose. For example, a sofa that could serve as a bed, an ottoman with extra storage, baskets and shelves for storage.
Pinterest is great for ideas!

IKEA has some great free standing cabinets that are very nice looking and could serve as a closet for extra storage.

Another suggestion is to think how you will use it and then make the pieces you put in there multi purpose. For example, a sofa that could serve as a bed, an ottoman with extra storage, baskets and shelves for storage.
Pinterest is great for ideas!
I don't need a closet in there, I was trying to describe the space. :)

I'd spend a good long time looking at lots of pictures and really thinking about things that really make your heart happy or speak to you for whatever reason and go from there. Personally I just spent a warm weekend on another round of purging, so my go to decor preference would be very minimal and focused entirely around what makes me comfortable, happy and that I will absolutely use.

I'd spend a good long time looking at lots of pictures and really thinking about things that really make your heart happy or speak to you for whatever reason and go from there. Personally I just spent a warm weekend on another round of purging, so my go to decor preference would be very minimal and focused entirely around what makes me comfortable, happy and that I will absolutely use.
We've spent the last few months purging for selling and moving, but we are going from a 1300 sq foot house to a 4000 sq foot house, so I'm gonna need to buy some stuff. :rotfl: My decor is pretty minimalist and clutter-free, anyway.

OP- congratulations on your new home. We are also moving to a much larger house. I am looking forward to getting rid of just about all of our furniture and starting over with a fresh color palette. Everyone says to look on pinterest and other websites for ideas, but can anyone recommend an actual physical source for home interior photos, such as a monthly magazine with great images? For this purpose I would really love to be able to collect my favorite ideas in a physical scrapbook form. We are still isolating at home and trying to plan all of our purchases without going into stores or showrooms. It's really hard to put everything together without seeing anything in person. I'd love to have something other than images on a screen. Our house will be new construction so a blank canvas from floor to ceiling. Any suggestions?

Well it's my house so I can decorate it any way I want.

When I finally have the "kids" out of the house I plan to turn one of the rooms into a Disney themed guest room. I already have the stuff to do the decorating from years of collecting.

The formal living room is my room. I have it decorated exactly the way I want it. Sadly, it's the first room off the foyer and tends to accumulate other people's stuff. I spend too much time policing their junk.

Have fun decorating your new space. :)

We just keep everything pretty plain here except for Christmas decorating. I would love to have my own "She Shed" though, I would just go wild.

This is probably going to sound a little goofy.... but the laundry room is "my" room. I love bold color. But, in most of the house, I've tamed that down to little pops here and there on a neutral backdrop to keep it more family and guest friendly, lol.
But, the laundry room, is all me. It's a big room so I use it for crafting/gift wrapping in addition to laundry. The walls are a light coral color. The curtains are a poppy pattern in coral and teal. I have a teal bench made from an old headboard/footboard, storage cubbies, a peg board on one wall for cleaning supplies and another above the folding counter for crafting/wrapping supplies.
I actually enjoy doing laundry because the atmosphere is so fun and so me. And I love having space inside my own house to spread out with projects: room to paint or stain, room to wrap Christmas gifts, sew, etc.

For most of my home projects, I use pinterest and houzz to just look through images and save those that appeal to me. Doing that, I'm able to hone in on color, a style that makes me happy, and concepts that will work in the space I have. Basically an online inspiration board. Good luck on your project. Enjoy your space.

Our new house has an office that will be mine. We will be having built-in bookshelves made to cover one entire wall that will house all my books as well as my collectibles (mostly gaming figures - final fantasy Play Arts figures, Destiny Three-A figures, etc.). I have a bunch of really nice canvas prints I bought one year at Festival of the Arts, mostly Star Wars, that will also be going up. I haven't decided on what color I want the walls, probably something neutral, but I want the ceiling painted to look like the night sky... haven't told my husband about that part yet!

We've spent the last few months purging for selling and moving, but we are going from a 1300 sq foot house to a 4000 sq foot house, so I'm gonna need to buy some stuff. :rotfl: My decor is pretty minimalist and clutter-free, anyway.

That is very similar to our move. Went from about 1300 to 4500 sq feet, got rid of a bunch of our stuff and slowly getting new stuff. We'd been holding off in the old house (we had said we'd be there less then five years, ended up being nearly 15) but now with our new house we want everything to be nicer. One hard part so far has been the walls! We had a bunch of just framed pictures up at the old house but that just doesn't work at the new house. I've been looking for some art pieces to put up but haven't found anything I like large enough that it would work.

The formal living room is my room. I have it decorated exactly the way I want it. Sadly, it's the first room off the foyer and tends to accumulate other people's stuff. I spend too much time policing their junk.

Have fun decorating your new space. :)

I had to LOL. The dining room table I have and that was my parents, has always been the "drop it here" table. I can still hear my MOM say "I'm charging a quarter for every thing on here". She was never able to collect but it's funny how it got passed on to me in my home. The table is cleared for Holidays, that's it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter