• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Decorating Own Space

That is very similar to our move. Went from about 1300 to 4500 sq feet, got rid of a bunch of our stuff and slowly getting new stuff. We'd been holding off in the old house (we had said we'd be there less then five years, ended up being nearly 15) but now with our new house we want everything to be nicer. One hard part so far has been the walls! We had a bunch of just framed pictures up at the old house but that just doesn't work at the new house. I've been looking for some art pieces to put up but haven't found anything I like large enough that it would work.
We've lived in our current house for 19 years. We raised our family here and now it's time for us to spend some money on ourselves. :)

The entire interior of the new house was professionally painted a year or two ago with colors I like, so I don't plan on changing any of the colors, but our living room furniture is earth tones and the new house is cool tones of blues and gray, so darn, we need to buy all new living room furniture. ;)

I am sure it will take me a while to get the house the way I want it, but I am conscious my DH has to live there, too, so my "whatever I want" is going to be limited to the den. :) DH doesn't care how the house is decorated, but he does have opinions on some things. lol

The formal living room is my room. I have it decorated exactly the way I want it. Sadly, it's the first room off the foyer and tends to accumulate other people's stuff. I spend too much time policing their junk.

Have fun decorating your new space. :)

Me dropping the hammer may or may not be the reason we spent a very hot and humid weekend inside with the AC, purging, tidying and seeing to it that things found their way to their proper places.

Me dropping the hammer may or may not be the reason we spent a very hot and humid weekend inside with the AC, purging, tidying and seeing to it that things found their way to their proper places.
We did this in the garage last week. Took two truckloads of junk to the dumpster. My husband is a serious packrat that thinks he needs to keep everything. He is also a collector of arcade games, pinball machines and 80's memorabilia that has spilled over into the garage. I need to park in there! It's like puling teeth to get him to part with things.

We did this in the garage last week. Took two truckloads of junk to the dumpster. My husband is a serious packrat that thinks he needs to keep everything. He is also a collector of arcade games, pinball machines and 80's memorabilia that has spilled over into the garage. I need to park in there! It's like puling teeth to get him to part with things.

I'm sure my bones are too old to do the happy dance I would have to bust out if I could get that much stuff out of here. My husband always teases me that he's pretty sure that I'm at my happiest when even a box or a bag of stuff is leaving, never to return again.

I think being home so much has made it worse for me, along with the fact our oldest daughter hasn't been able to move a lot of her things as she wanted to -- and knowing younger DD's college apartment full of stuff is headed our way next spring until she's able to fly the nest.

I approached my office with a few things in mind:

An overall "aesthetic" - midcentury modern (my favorite era)
An overall "theme" that fits with that aesthetic - science (specifically astronomy and chemistry)

I like having corner spaces; I have a corner desk, I feel that it leaves more space in the room for other functions.

I'm sure my bones are too old to do the happy dance I would have to bust out if I could get that much stuff out of here. My husband always teases me that he's pretty sure that I'm at my happiest when even a box or a bag of stuff is leaving, never to return again.

I think being home so much has made it worse for me, along with the fact our oldest daughter hasn't been able to move a lot of her things as she wanted to -- and knowing younger DD's college apartment full of stuff is headed our way next spring until she's able to fly the nest.
My daughter has been home from college long enough that she's bored. And she wanted to clean! So she's been helping me to clean, sort, vacuum, fix broken lamps, unload old stuff at the thrift store. It's been so therapeutic. It's one of the silver linings of this pandemic mess. In normal times she wouldn't have had time or motivation to help.

My daughter has been home from college long enough that she's bored. And she wanted to clean! So she's been helping me to clean, sort, vacuum, fix broken lamps, unload old stuff at the thrift store. It's been so therapeutic. It's one of the silver linings of this pandemic mess. In normal times she wouldn't have had time or motivation to help.

My daughter that's home from college cashiers at a local market and hasn't had very much time off since classes ended for the semester. When she is off she's generally pretty drained from being on her feet for 8 to 10-hour shifts at least five days a week. She has helped here and there, but clearly needs downtime.

Older DD came home right before shutdown because she didn't want to be locked down on her own out of state at her place. She had more time to help when her office was closed and she was working from the house. Especially now that her office has reopened she's working a lot of overtime, sometimes seven days a week, and her commute is quite long. She pitches in when she can.

I think it's getting to me for several reasons. A, I'm not used to being home so much. B, we were basically empty nesters and all four of us hadn't lived together for more than a week at a time in eight years. C, each daughter brought quite a few things with them when they returned home. D -- I'm really not used to being home this much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter