Deferrals ?

megsters

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if you can defer a race more than once?

I was registered for the Princess Glass Slipper Challenge for 2015, and deferred to '16 due to injury.

My husband called me on his way home last night and said, "there's a real possibility I can't go to Florida...." We'll have a better idea after next week. (fingers crossed)

Right now, we work different schedules, so I see him Wednesday nights and Sundays. I realize I can still go, but since I hardly see him now, I'd like to use my vacation to enjoy it with him !

I read the terms and conditions, but I don't see anything about it being only once. Granted, I doubt any sane person wants to defer more than once, but I can't decipher it in the regulations. ( and this all may be a moot point, maybe everything will come together, and husband can go, and I can run! Or if I can't defer, it all goes to the children's miracle network, and that's ok too. I'm a bit of a worry wart when it comes to the unknown.)

Any insight would be awesome.

The problem is that I believe deferrals are closed/full for Princess. That's what I believe I've read a few times on the Facebook princess page.

And I just went a few pages into the deferral form for Princess and it shows:

Which race distance you are deferring from:
Sold Out Glass Slipper Challenge $55.00
Sold Out Disney Princess Half Marathon $55.00
Sold Out Disney Enchanted 10K $55.00

Since the status of the actual races wouldn't make sense in that context, it might verify what I have read.

I hope your husband can go. But...there are plenty of us going solo, or at least without our spouses/kids. (I'm meeting my cousin) You wouldn't be alone, even if you flew in alone.

If I'm wrong and GSC is still open for deferral, I'd call runD. I wonder if, once you defer and then re-register, as you did, it just becomes a fresh new race that you can defer normally.

I doubt that runDisney tracks this sort of thing. Once you have re-registered after your deferral, you would seem to have the same rights to defer as anyone else. You have paid the deferral fee plus the cost of any price increase for the race from one year to the next. No reason they wouldn't let you defer again, and nothing in their published policies that prohibits it.

Thanks for the insight.

I emailed over the weekend-and deferrals for GSC are full. I think my initial reaction was just to be totally bummed out, because I was looking forward to spending some time the mister. And, I didn't want to spend $$$ on a hotel room for just me. After a good night's sleep, I'm totally game. My parents are actually supposed to go, but I think my mom is looking for a reason to bail. Frankly, it seems like a fabulous reason to have a father daughter vacation!

Thank you !

Yes, I'm wondering about deferrals, Disney told me no right now. Last year, I had someone in the Orlando area run for me, and pay me the registration fee. Anyone else on the board want to do that for my mom and I? We have a family issue, and would like to have someone run in our place.

Yes, I'm wondering about deferrals, Disney told me no right now. Last year, I had someone in the Orlando area run for me, and pay me the registration fee. Anyone else on the board want to do that for my mom and I? We have a family issue, and would like to have someone run in our place.
I'm sorry that you guys can't run, I hope the family issue gets better.

FYI, runDisney doesn't allow bib transfers...you, your mom and those who buy your bibs could be banned from future rD events.

Yeah, it pretty much sucks. We have done bib transfers before, just not in the legal, disboard-approved way with our friends. It was pretty easy to do, but slightly illegal, I will admit. It all kinda sucks that Disney won't allow bib transfers or delays even up to the event. I mean, you never know what can happen, even up to the event. Someone might break their leg, fracture a rid, strain an ankle - there are all sorts of events that could happen. And not letting delays even up to the event is pretty annoying. In this case, it's a very sick relative. We aren't sure what's going on, and we might have to cancel all our plans - it's very touch and go with him (my mom's best friend's husband).

Yeah, it pretty much sucks. We have done bib transfers before, just not in the legal, disboard-approved way with our friends. It was pretty easy to do, but slightly illegal, I will admit. It all kinda sucks that Disney won't allow bib transfers or delays even up to the event. I mean, you never know what can happen, even up to the event. Someone might break their leg, fracture a rid, strain an ankle - there are all sorts of events that could happen. And not letting delays even up to the event is pretty annoying. In this case, it's a very sick relative. We aren't sure what's going on, and we might have to cancel all our plans - it's very touch and go with him (my mom's best friend's husband).

I think there's a BIG reason for RunDisney not allowing bib transfers that is not considered by folks in these conversations. If you combine a bib transfer system with high profile races that sell out very quickly, you have a big draw for scalpers. As difficult as it is to get into some of these races on registration day, consider how much more difficult it would be with bib scalpers flooding the site and buying up all the bibs they can get their hands on, knowing that they can probably resell bibs to sold out races for a handsome profit. I agree that it stinks for those people who end up unable to run or defer for one reason or another, but overall I think the policy helps keep costs and hassle down for the majority of runners.

I think the other thing is in case of a medical emergency...how do they know how to contact? When you register for a race, you put down your DOB and your emergency contact. So if I do that and then sell my bib to someone that's not registered, and they have a heart attack on the course...rD race officials won't have the info for that person, because they are wearing MY number and that number connects to MY name, date of birth, emergency contact, etc.

Also, I'm sorry...it's not slightly illegal, it IS illegal. It's stated in their policies on the website. :confused3

Yes, it is wrong. I agree with the scalping, runs are crowded and very hard to get into.

It's hard when they don't have deferrals close to the race. I was just amazed that they "sell out" of deferrals, that's mostly the point.
Selling/transferring bibs is wrong, I agree.

Yes, it is wrong. I agree with the scalping, runs are crowded and very hard to get into.

It's hard when they don't have deferrals close to the race. I was just amazed that they "sell out" of deferrals, that's mostly the point.
Selling/transferring bibs is wrong, I agree.
I definitely agree. I had to defer this year's GSC in early January (losing the money I paid for the 5K registration and the pre-order pins, unfortuantely). I wanted to wait a little longer to defer but then I found out that they don't post the % capacities anymore - it's just full or it's not full. Not impressed by that from runDisney. :mad: So then I felt like I just had to make a decision quickly so I wouldn't lose all the registration fee (it did turn out to be the right decision though). It sucks.

I understand why there are deferral limits and cutoff times. At some point the race makes financial commitments to charities and other groups associated with a race, and those groups change from one year to the next. So, this year I paid $550 for the Dopey and had to defer. How much of that went to these groups? If 1000 people defer, how much do they lose? Remember, registration ended long ago, so no new entries to fill the void.

You make your financial commitments and then half the field chooses to defer a few days before the race(s) because the weather looks miserable? What does that do to your economic model?

There have to be limits, and there has to be a cutoff date early enough to avoid "bad weather" deferrals.

There have to be limits, and there has to be a cutoff date early enough to avoid "bad weather" deferrals

Or I just don't want tos, I forgot to train etc (though I'm sure the deferral quota is filled with those excuses)

If any race let everyone who wanted to defer you could easily see all year 1s registration fees used to put on year 1s race how would year 2s race be funded when all the deferred runners take a chunk of capacity?

As one who prob will have to eat my next 2 race fees due to gallbladder surgery I get it and it sucks but I understood the terms I agreed to months ago..

Interestingly, someone on the FB princess page I'm on who tried to defer but was turned down before, was offered the ability to retroactively defer princess. She didn't pick up the bib, which was key.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter