delete

Yes I would. I don’t think the amount you would spend would make a huge difference to your overall financial picture given that all you need is a ticket and food.

If you were saying “I just got fired, should I book a trip?” I would have a way different answer. But this short trip was already in the works, isn’t extravagant, and could provide some stress relief. I would go.

I’m sorry about your job. 😔

You know what is best for you. I might see if you can change your resort to a value, save some money if you still decide to go. As long as you have enough savings for at least 2 months, then maybe. Because even if you were to be offered a job tomorrow, it could take 4 weeks to hire you depending on the company. And then a few weeks for a first paycheck. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

If most of it is already paid for and non-refundable you might as well. It could be good to just clear your head in your happy place.
That being said, always make sure you have at least 6 months of expenses saved in case something like this ever happens again.

Was this on Reddit, too? I might see if you can change your resort to a value, save some money if you still decide to go. As long as you have enough savings for at least 2 months, then maybe. Because even if you were to be offered a job tomorrow, it could take 4 weeks to hire you depending on the company. And then a few weeks for a first paycheck. Good luck in your search.

I will take a look. I made the reservation when they had that Spring+Summer sale last week. May be worth it to save a bit of money. Thank you for the support!

So yesterday I was fired from my 9-5. I will spare details, but it wasn't behavioral issues and it was without warnings. I live by myself in a metropolitan area, no kids or pets or partner living with me. I immediately when I got home updated my resume and began applying for more jobs (was already applying beforehand), cut my subscriptions, and will basically be on a forced diet. I have a good amount of savings to keep me going till I can get another job. Looking is my full time job now.

I planned march 3-5 a small little WDW trip, would be my first time. Staying on PO-FQ, only going to Epcot. Both airfares non refundable, paid for hotel but not ticket. I would like to still go to WDW as I basically will be staying at home most of the time till I get a job offer (I have AMC A-list for $22 a month which allows me to up to 3 movies a week so I have entertainment). I am not sure if I should, but I fear a mental health decline these next few months and like some happiness. If you were in my situation, would you go?
Let's start with figuring out which of these is your reality. I'm very concerned by your use of the phrase "forced diet". A mental health space where you are skipping meals or buying low-nutritional food because you don't feel you have enough money is NOT GOOD. If by "forced diet" you mean cutting out delivery, cutting eating out or buying cheaper options at the grocery market that's simply cost cutting and is normal at a time like this. If you mean cutting out the extras like ice cream, candy- I would be making that a balance because cutting down on that stuff is one thing but cutting out all of it could slap you in the face with depression every time you see it since the diet is not health focused but money focused. Do not hurt your health under any circumstances, it's. not. worth. it.

I would hold onto the trip for the moment. If you find a job in the next couple weeks you might be able to still go. If you don't find a job I would cancel the trip. Yep, you'll eat the airfare (and I suspect you'll learn never to book basic economy again? also you can always try to beg the airline for a credit and see if they'll take pity on you, worked for me once) but all the money you would spend on the hotel (disney refunds until like 5 days out or something so that isn't money you've spent unless you booked through a 3rd party that doesn't allow changes), ticket and food will be money you can spend trying to maintain your sanity by going out with some friends & doing cheap things near home that get you out of the house. If you don't get out of your house you will lose your sanity and imho the memories of one day at Epcot won't help you keep it.

Last edited:
Let's start with figuring out which of these is your reality. I'm very concerned by your use of the phrase "forced diet". A mental health space where you are skipping meals or buying low-nutritional food because you don't feel you have enough money is NOT GOOD. If by "forced diet" you mean cutting out delivery, cutting eating out or buying cheaper options at the grocery market that's simply cost cutting and is normal at a time like this. If you mean cutting out the extras like ice cream, candy- I would be making that a balance because cutting down on that stuff is one thing but cutting out all of it could slap you in the face with depression every time you see it since the diet is not health focused but money focused. Do not hurt your health under any circumstances, it's. not. worth. it.

I would hold onto the trip for the moment. If you find a job in the next couple weeks you might be able to still go. If you don't find a job I would cancel the trip. Yep, you'll eat the airfare (and I suspect you'll learn never to book basic economy again? also you can always try to beg the airline for a credit and see if they'll take pity on you, worked for me once) but all the money you would spend on the hotel (disney refunds until like 5 days out or something so that isn't money you've spent unless you booked through a 3rd party that doesn't allow changes), ticket and food will be money you can spend trying to maintain your sanity by going out with some friends & doing cheap things near home that get you out of the house. If you don't get out of your house you will lose your sanity and imho the memories of two days at Epcot won't help you keep it.
When I said forced diet, I meant that eating a bit less (I am obese and overeat often), stop takeout, doordash, etc. I will never compromise my health. I have cut many subscriptions but I will not cut my vitamins, my health matters regardless of my employment status. I appreciate this post.

If you have a healthy emergency fund (6 months expenses at the reduced spending you are now doing), I would go. Many years ago DH lost his job when we had a trip planned with a lot of non refundable reservations and flights. We were terrified (2 children and no income or insurance) but we went. He interviewed for a new job at the Magic Kingdom and had an offer by the time we got back. Good luck!

This is a tough one to consider. Did you book basic economy with no carry on and no seat assignment if not you most likely can get a credit with the airline. While I hope you get another job in the very near future which would certainly allow you to enjoy a short trip. Also consider the mental toll of looking for a job I would find it mentally taxing to be on vacation and have an interview. I would personally put all my ducks in a row to be able to cancel especially if you can get a later use credit for your airfare and see how it plays out for you personally with hopes of going.

When I said forced diet, I meant that eating a bit less (I am obese and overeat often), stop takeout, doordash, etc. I will never compromise my health. I have cut many subscriptions but I will not cut my vitamins, my health matters regardless of my employment status. I appreciate this post.
Stopping the takeout will save a ton.

it sounds like the trip has a lot of sunk costs. If you can afford the variable costs, then go for it.

I would cancel the trip and try to recoup as many costs as you can...2 moderate hotel nights and single day in Epcot plus travel to and from both airports and 3 days of Disney (or some type of restaurant) food will run you $1K-$1.2K+ out of pocket. You're gonna need that money if a job does not come around soon.

For even just $1K, that's the whole year of A-list and a weekly night out at something cheap for 3-6 months...

PS - You will not enjoy this trip if you have to worry about the money. And at Disney, that money worry is gonna hit you in every single decision...

I would go. I agree with trying to see if you can change to a cheeper room like pop or all stars movies. That will save you some. You can certainly go on the cheep and if air fair isn't refundable, go. Sounds like you have a good grasp on things to cut back on at home. Hopefully you are able to find a new job quickly. If it was 100 percent refundable, I would have a different response.

If you change to POP the difference will almost pay for your ticket. I would definitely go, but I am a person that still signed the closing papers on my 1st home, when I was 23, just days after being laid off. I had confidence in myself to get another job, so I really didn't worry. The funny part of that story is that the company that laid me off, was downsizing because they were planning on moving to central FL (from Michigan). Well a year later, they ended up calling me to fill my ex-bosses job since he did not want to move. LOL Good luck and I hope everything works out.

It sounds like you have enough savings to get by for a while, so for me, the biggest concern would be if the trip conflicts with interview times (or, if you get a new job before then, how happy they’d be to give you time off so soon). Only you know your specific situation/how flexible your industry is. Good luck with the job search—praying for you! 🙏

If you change to POP the difference will almost pay for your ticket. I would definitely go, but I am a person that still signed the closing papers on my 1st home, when I was 23, just days after being laid off. I had confidence in myself to get another job, so I really didn't worry. The funny part of that story is that the company that laid me off, was downsizing because they were planning on moving to central FL (from Michigan). Well a year later, they ended up calling me to fill my ex-bosses job since he did not want to move. LOL Good luck and I hope everything works out.
Thats no joke. If I chose the world of (?) Music hotel vs PO FQ, it is a $170 difference. That WILL pay for my ticket+food, I think I will do that. II can still cancel if need be as well

my health matters regardless of my employment status.

good, but if you had (well, probably will have until 1/31/23) health insurance through your former employer have you researched how much your health insurance is going to cost you now? it can be shocking how much, even through cobra coverage, an individual's health insurance can cost absent the employer subsidy. if you are a renter are you close to a renewal that might cause a rent increase? do you have any bills you pay on a non monthly (quarterly/bi-annually) coming due in the next couple of months? all things to take into consideration when looking at expenses.

unless i knew i had enough money to cover all my expenses (and i had nailed down exactly what my expenses are) i would not go. no, actually i know that even if i had an emergency fund i wouldn't b/c-

i've seen people hired in a short time and ineligible to time off for 6 or more months (had to tell people offered jobs 'no, we can't just work around the vacation you already paid')

i've been in a situation where a job loss thought to be temporary ended up being much longer term (granted-in part b/c of desire not to blemish resume w/a position that was lower level/pay than previous).

I got home updated my resume and began applying for more jobs (was already applying beforehand)

how long while employed had you already been looking? did it seem like you were going to be moving on soon from your former job or it might take awhile? depending on the answer to this it could indicate for you how long you might need to stretch your savings.

sorry for your job loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter