Delta No Change Fees

40ariel

Mouseketeer
I am so confused about Delta No Change Fees:

"You may choose to cancel your trip, and use the value towards a future flight.
  • You may cancel your flight and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original issue date."
I am not sure if this means that the ticket has to be booked within a year from the original issue date or the travel has to be completed within a year.
I tried calling but the wait times are long.
Has anyone else had luck with this?

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/other-alerts/coronavirus-travel-updates
No Change Fees For All Tickets Purchased Between March 1-31, 2020

• Affected Customers: All Tickets issued between March 1, 2020 - March 31, 2020
  • Impacted Travel Date(s): March 1, 2020 - February 25, 2021
  • Ticket Can Be Changed One-Time To An Alternate Itinerary. Must Be Re-issued On/Before: February 28, 2021
  • Rebooked Travel Must Begin No Later Than: February 28, 2021

FWIW, I was told on Sunday that I could also re-bank miles with no fee.

I have 2 one way flights booked to Vegas on points (for the beginning of April). The flights were 37,000 miles each. I just saw the same flights for 11,000 miles each. I'm hoping they will refund me the difference in miles or let me cancel, get my miles back and then I rebook the new cheaper flights. I called them but I'm waiting for them to call me back. The wait time was 4 hours! I still have 3 more hours to wait!
There app and website are not working anymore.

I have 2 one way flights booked to Vegas on points (for the beginning of April). The flights were 37,000 miles each. I just saw the same flights for 11,000 miles each. I'm hoping they will refund me the difference in miles or let me cancel, get my miles back and then I rebook the new cheaper flights. I called them but I'm waiting for them to call me back. The wait time was 4 hours! I still have 3 more hours to wait!
There app and website are not working anymore.
Good luck!

• You may cancel your flight and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original issue date."
I am not sure if this means that the ticket has to be booked within a year from the original issue date or the travel has to be completed within a year.
That means you must book a new flight within one year. The flight itself can be later.

Question... Does "Affected Customers" mean anyone flying anywhere...or only people flying to areas with either known cases or have a travel ban?
I was wondering if I should rebook my flights now so I lock in the lower price and then when I get my call back cancel my original flight. This will work fine if "affected customers" means anyone flying anywhere.
I interpreted it to be anyone flying anywhere but then I thought I should verify that other people think the same way before I book another flight!

That means you must book a new flight within one year. The flight itself can be later.
I called last night and the agent told me that it means it must be booked and the travel ended within a year from the original issue date. I received emails for each ticket with a number. The expiry date is one year from the original issue date.
I still don't know if the information the agent gave me is correct about the travel having to end by that date!

I called last night and the agent told me that it means it must be booked and the travel ended within a year from the original issue date. I received emails for each ticket with a number. The expiry date is one year from the original issue date.
I still don't know if the information the agent gave me is correct about the travel having to end by that date!
What do you mean you received emails for each ticket with a number? Is the number you are referring to a phone number? Or a number that you can use in the future with a credit attached to it?
Where was the flight you cancelled going? Orlando?
I'm still waiting for my callback!! :confused3

What do you mean you received emails for each ticket with a number? Is the number you are referring to a phone number? Or a number that you can use in the future with a credit attached to it?
Where was the flight you cancelled going? Orlando?
I'm still waiting for my callback!! :confused3
Well.. the cancellation emails actually look exactly the same as the original emails I received for the old tickets. The agent said to quote the ticket #s when I call back to book the new flights. So I guess I really don't know...
Yes the flight was to Orlando.

Perhaps someone else who has had experience cancelling can share their experience.

I'm trying to cancel our flight next week. However, when I follow the steps for cancellation per their website it tells me my tickets are non-refundable and not eligible for a "refund". I'm not looking for a refund - just to cancel the flights and use the value for a future flight. It sounds as if the website is down - I'll try again tomorrow. Hold time is still 4 hours.

I'm trying to cancel our flight next week. However, when I follow the steps for cancellation per their website it tells me my tickets are non-refundable and not eligible for a "refund". I'm not looking for a refund - just to cancel the flights and use the value for a future flight. It sounds as if the website is down - I'll try again tomorrow. Hold time is still 4 hours.
Same situation here. My flight is basic economy which is why I think it won't let me cancel/get a refund.
I tried calling and got the 4 hour message, no option for a call back.

Did they say that Basic flights were exempt too?
I thought it was only some flights

And I'm I the only one confused by the purchase time? Why only tickets purchased in March? I mean, I know why, to do the bare minimum but how do they figure that folks who purchased a ticket for 2 weeks from now today can cancel but anyone who purchased the same flight 2 months ago can't?

The other question would be, when did you buy the ticket? If it was prior to 3/1, then I don't believe it's covered

I am so confused about Delta No Change Fees:

"You may choose to cancel your trip, and use the value towards a future flight.
I tried calling but the wait times are long.
Has anyone else had luck with this?
This is covered in the * at the bottom (scroll down to the very bottom)

*The change fee will be waived, however, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.

The other question would be, when did you buy the ticket? If it was prior to 3/1, then I don't believe it's covered

This is covered in the * at the bottom (scroll down to the very bottom)

*The change fee will be waived, however, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
Look a little further down: All tickets issued on or before March 9.

Guess it will take a phone call.
The entire way they wrote their 2 different policies makes little sense. Would have been so much easier to just say they are waiving change fees for all tickets purchased prior to X date. Instead of 2 different policy explanations.

Update for anyone interested: I never received my callback so I called back at 7pm. Heard the 4 hour warning but I just waited on hold and after 1.5 hours they answered. I was able to cancel my flight (to Vegas) and my miles were returned (with no penalty). I will say the woman acted like she was unaware of the change/cancellation offer. After I explained it and she "looked it up" she said she could change my flight. I said I thought I was also able to cancel as well. She finally admitted I was able to. I had to drag it out of her! It was totally worth it though!
I was also able to get miles/travel credit back from Southwest!
Hopefully the situation doesn't get worse and I can use these flights!!

*UPDATE* for those on Basic Economy: Yes, you can make changes on Delta. My daughter was flying Basic Economy to FL to visit my parents over her Spring Break. Her school closed for the rest of the week and they are going to online classes for the rest of the month. My parents agreed it is best that she just went home instead.

With Basic Economy, you cannot change online. The system does not recognize a Basic fare as "changeable". I had to call. I got the 4 hour wait message but only waited about 1.5 hours on hold before reaching an agent. With Basic Economy, they had to first upgrade her to regular economy and then she could change from flying to FL to FL to CT. I had to pay the upgrade to regular economy and the fare difference but no change fee. I hope that helps.

We are scheduled to fly out on April 18 but back on May 2. Would this policy only apply to the outbound leg but not the return or would we be okay?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter