Delta - so expensive!

Sondra Sunflowers

Sondra Sunflowers
I'm trying to book airfare for my June trip and I just can't believe how expensive Delta is right now! A 2-hour flight from Cincinnati to Orlando is around $600! I have a companion ticket that I must use, so they've got me. The discount airlines are around $400, so Delta is still better with the free ticket.

Just wanted to vent more than anything. But, I take it everyone else on these boards trying to book summer travel is seeing the same thing?

I'm looking at a mid July flight from Baltimore on the airline that doesn't charge for bags and it's about 370. R/T. Yeah airfare ins't what it used to be.
But then again in the early 80's when I was living in California I could fly from Oakland to Newark Nj for 99. each way.

I'm trying to book airfare for my June trip and I just can't believe how expensive Delta is right now! A 2-hour flight from Cincinnati to Orlando is around $600! I have a companion ticket that I must use, so they've got me. The discount airlines are around $400, so Delta is still better with the free ticket.

Just wanted to vent more than anything. But, I take it everyone else on these boards trying to book summer travel is seeing the same thing?
That companion certificate is only available with certain booking codes. The cheapest ones don't qualify. If you look at booking that flight for one without the companion cert it would probably be less. Isn't CVG still a semi hub for Delta? Prices are usually higher out of Delta hubs, have you looked from IND or CMH? I was seeing about $350/person from both MKE and ORD on all three of the majors for the end of September. I found AA award availability for 12k RT, SW was 14k each way and Delta was 35k RT.

Flying from Cincinnati as well and I love how Delta treats you like a human being instead of cattle, but dang do you pay for the privilege! We normally fly budget since a direct flight is only 2 hours (I can handle being a sardine for 2 hours), but we had credit with Delta from a Christmas trip. Even with the credit, I had trouble pulling the trigger on tickets because they were so much more than the budget airline.

I only fly Delta, it’s worth the price for us. We fly out of MSP so there are always flights available. I love their change/cancel policies. I just moved a DVC stay back a day next month and was able to change 2 tickets in 2 minutes on the app. Always great service with them. After reading all the nightmare travel others experience, I’m sticking with them.

Are you flexible with your days and how many days are you going for?

CVG-MCO rates fluctuate a lot depending upon what day you are leaving and for how many days. Look at their price calendar and you will see how much it changes.

I will agree though, June fares are really high for CVG-MCO.

Is this from the Platinum card?

I ended up downgrading that card as it was so hard to use the certificate. When we finally found something we would then have to make another reservation and link them by calling.

Hopefully by now they let you purchase an itinerary for more people than just 2 when using the certificate.

Lots of factors can impact the price for airline tickets. Flying to/from popular destinations where many airlines compete usually has lower prices. Flying during peak travel periods/holidays generally makes tickets more expensive. Usually the lowest prices/non-stop/most desirable travel times sell out first and then the fares jump to the next higher price.

If you happen to live near a major airport with lots of competition, prices will tend to be lower. If only one airline services your airport, probably fewer choices and higher costs.

Just try getting a quote for an international flight, say to Europe, right now. Be sitting down when doing so.

I only fly Delta, it’s worth the price for us. We fly out of MSP so there are always flights available. I love their change/cancel policies. I just moved a DVC stay back a day next month and was able to change 2 tickets in 2 minutes on the app. Always great service with them. After reading all the nightmare travel others experience, I’m sticking with them.
We fly out of MSP too and have always flown Delta.
However, I booked a quick last minute trip to Universal last year, and the difference in cost was a lot. Delta was more than twice the cost of Allegient. I was traveling with someone who needed to budget, so we flew Allegient.
I have to say that it was just fine. I usually don't watch the screen on the back of the seat in front of me at all. I might turn it on to see where the plane is and follow it but don't need to. There was no tv screen, but all else was fine. We got snacks and drinks. I usually just read while we fly anyway, and my companion slept, so no need for a screen to watch.
I do think the seats are more comfortable with Delta and will try to stay with Delta in the future, but I was amazed that this budget flight worked out great.

However, I booked a quick last minute trip to Universal last year, and the difference in cost was a lot. Delta was more than twice the cost of Allegient. I was traveling with someone who needed to budget, so we flew Allegient.
I have to say that it was just fine. I usually don't watch the screen on the back of the seat in front of me at all. I might turn it on to see where the plane is and follow it but don't need to. There was no tv screen, but all else was fine. We got snacks and drinks. I usually just read while we fly anyway, and my companion slept, so no need for a screen to watch.
I do think the seats are more comfortable with Delta and will try to stay with Delta in the future, but I was amazed that this budget flight worked out great.
That is along flight from MSP to Orlando on Allegient!!

Not sure I could handle that. I have flown them a few times but not that far and it was with just a “personal item” as everything was already the destination.

Is this from the Platinum card?

I ended up downgrading that card as it was so hard to use the certificate. When we finally found something we would then have to make another reservation and link them by calling.

Hopefully by now they let you purchase an itinerary for more people than just 2 when using the certificate.
It is for the card. I've only used it one other time and that was a successful trip. I've tried looking at Dayton, Louisville, Lexington and they are even higher at $700 ish. It's just shocking..... My husband is not a fan of flying so discount airlines takes some convincing. Neither of us wants to waste precious PTO time sitting in a car but will def drive whenever we can retire LOL. I'm OK with paying more because it is honestly a better experience, but double (or more) is a bit much. Downgrading that card is looking more and more like a good idea....

What also stinks are the annual fee increases! We have the platinum.

Delta credit card annual fee increases

Before detailing the enhancements that American Express announced to its co-branded Delta cards on Thursday, it’s worth noting that they’re bundled with an annual fee increase. Here’s what you can expect as new annual fees on all six Delta credit cards:
  • Delta Reserve and Delta Reserve Business: $650 annually, up from $550
  • Delta Platinum: $350 annually, up from $250
  • Delta Gold: $150 annually, up from $99
However, if you opened an account before Feb. 1, 2024, the new annual fee won’t go into effect until your next renewal date on or after May 1, 2024.
Direct link

What also stinks are the annual fee increases! We have the platinum.

Delta credit card annual fee increases

Before detailing the enhancements that American Express announced to its co-branded Delta cards on Thursday, it’s worth noting that they’re bundled with an annual fee increase. Here’s what you can expect as new annual fees on all six Delta credit cards:
  • Delta Reserve and Delta Reserve Business: $650 annually, up from $550
  • Delta Platinum: $350 annually, up from $250
  • Delta Gold: $150 annually, up from $99
However, if you opened an account before Feb. 1, 2024, the new annual fee won’t go into effect until your next renewal date on or after May 1, 2024.
Direct link
The good thing with the platinum is now you have more options (HI, and some islands) as opposed to the continental 48.

That is of course provided you can find a flight that you can book......

I'm sticking with the gold for now since mine will still be $99 but I may go down to the blue as we seem to be flying more SW these days.

definitely check the days around your travel date. My wife and I are heading to Waikiki in April. We were planning to travel on Saturday out of CVG. We changed to Friday and saved twice what the extra Holtel room and extra day car rental cost.

We’ve flown Allegiant multiple times & have had great experiences with them. We do however, pay a few extra bucks for extra legroom seats.

We are flying to the east coast from the west coast and it’s about 450$ each way by the time I add in bags for economy basic seats. Crazy. We are also looking at a family wedding in October and not sure if all 4 of us will be able to go because it’s 2000$ just for airfare and it’s during the school year so we can only go Friday to Monday. Add in hotel, car rental, and food and we are looking at 4000$

Yeah. They are stupid expensive right now. I’m holding off on using my companion one for now. We got flights on Jet Blue that were so much cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter