Denied Boarding at the Port...Can We Fly Home?

This is 100% false. Please stop spreading this.

You are REQUIRED to fill out a health declaration before boarding an airplane. You are ABSOLUTELY restricted from flying for 14 days after a positive test.

No, DCL doesn't participate in preventing you from flying. The airline prevents you from flying unless you plan on committing fraud on the health declaration form.

Again, perhaps my wording wasn't terribly clear. In the instance of an airline, this is a self-report concern, and while you are accurate in that you are verifying that you have not tested positive before you fly, there is not a "list" with your name on it that is flagged should you try to board a flight. My statement was more in referring to the persistent rumor that DCL would turn in your name to TSA and/or your airline to prevent you from flying which is not accurate.

For the record, this is not applicable to my family as we tested negative and boarded our cruise without issue; this is in regards to the situation of a client which prompted some research and phone calls.

I am not planning to spread anything false by saying one should fly after testing positive. What I have discovered is that there is no "do not fly list" based on a positive Covid test at the port.

Again, perhaps my wording wasn't terribly clear. In the instance of an airline, this is a self-report concern, and while you are accurate in that you are verifying that you have not tested positive before you fly, there is not a "list" with your name on it that is flagged should you try to board a flight. My statement was more in referring to the persistent rumor that DCL would turn in your name to TSA and/or your airline to prevent you from flying which is not accurate.

For the record, this is not applicable to my family as we tested negative and boarded our cruise without issue; this is in regards to the situation of a client which prompted some research and phone calls.

I am not planning to spread anything false by saying one should fly after testing positive. What I have discovered is that there is no "do not fly list" based on a positive Covid test at the port.
That's fair. I read your question as more of a general "can you fly after a positive test," to which the answer is no. But if you're asking about the existence of a list specifically, you're correct.

So here's the dilemma. You were asymptomatic 2 months before the cruise and did not know it. Since the PCR test supposedly will still detect the virus up tp 90 days after an asymptomatic infection what are you suppose to do if you test positive at the port? Does it make sense to get a PCR test before you leave home and if that is positive anyways how would you prove you don't have an infection at that point in time? Is there a test for that or do you get your doctor to fill out the form saying you recovered from covid even though your not sure when you had it. Does this make sense?

So here's the dilemma. You were asymptomatic 2 months before the cruise and did not know it. Since the PCR test supposedly will still detect the virus up tp 90 days after an asymptomatic infection what are you suppose to do if you test positive at the port? Does it make sense to get a PCR test before you leave home and if that is positive anyways how would you prove you don't have an infection at that point in time? Is there a test for that or do you get your doctor to fill out the form saying you recovered from covid even though your not sure when you had it. Does this make sense?
Exactly what I’m trying to find out from my Dreams agent.

How do you determine the positive at embarkation is due to an unknown asymptomatic case 2 months ago and not a new asymptomatic positive now? Sounds like grasping at straws for an excuse "I can't be positive now, it must be an old positive that I never knew I had."

If it helps ease your mind, take a test before the cruise -- 2 months or 2 weeks or 2 days, whatever makes you feel more comfortable. If positive, deal with your healthcare provider to give the documentation needed to board or cancel if within the 14-day window.

How do you determine the positive at embarkation is due to an unknown asymptomatic case 2 months ago and not a new asymptomatic positive now? Sounds like grasping at straws for an excuse "I can't be positive now, it must be an old positive that I never knew I had."

If it helps ease your mind, take a test before the cruise -- 2 months or 2 weeks or 2 days, whatever makes you feel more comfortable. If positive, deal with your healthcare provider to give the documentation needed to board or cancel if within the 14-day window.
Not grasping at straws for an excuse but a legitimate question. Definitely will be taking a PCR test probably a week before to rule out or confirm any previous infection. It's just that it seems some company should be able to develop a test that would show an active infection.

Sorry, my point was that you need to test in advance if you are concerned about a prior infection and recovery. Otherwise a positive at the port is considered positive and denied boarding.

If you had a prior positive and recovered, you aren't tested at embarkation. But you must provide that documentation in advance.

Yeah I sure get the feeling there are many people out there willing to get on a plane after a positive test. You shouldn’t be going on a cruise if you’re not prepared to quarantine in the eventuality you test positive. It’s that simple.

Not grasping at straws for an excuse but a legitimate question. Definitely will be taking a PCR test probably a week before to rule out or confirm any previous infection. It's just that it seems some company should be able to develop a test that would show an active infection.
If you did a test a week before and the doctor was an able to definitively say when you got Covid, wouldn’t your test say that as of 11 days after your test you were Covid cured?
So getting the test 12 days before your cruise would assure you, with a doctors note that a earlier positive resulted test would now leave you safe for travel? If you get your test a week before you’re technically sick for four more days because you can’t prove when you got it.

Yeah I sure get the feeling there are many people out there willing to get on a plane after a positive test. You shouldn’t be going on a cruise if you’re not prepared to quarantine in the eventuality you test positive. It’s that simple.
And you shouldn't fly if you're not capable of dealing with the possibility that you might be seated next to someone who has Covid, probably unknowingly, because it's everywhere.

If you did a test a week before and the doctor was an able to definitively say when you got Covid, wouldn’t your test say that as of 11 days after your test you were Covid cured?
So getting the test 12 days before your cruise would assure you, with a doctors note that a earlier positive resulted test would now leave you safe for travel? If you get your test a week before you’re technically sick for four more days because you can’t prove when you got it.
This is exactly what we did. Tested thirteen days before our cruise so that if we did have a positive from an unknown past case, we legitimately had time to get an 'all clear to travel' letter from a doctor.

I mean, granted we could be exposed during that twelve days and test positive at the port still, but it eliminates the possibly of showing a positive for having asymptomatic COVID during the previous2-3 months before that test. We also did an at-home rapid test the day before our cruise just to give us a little extra insurance. We board our ship tomorrow, hopefully. :)

And you shouldn't fly if you're not capable of dealing with the possibility that you might be seated next to someone who has Covid, probably unknowingly, because it's everywhere.
“Probably” unknowingly? Yes there is an assumed risk to traveling but that doesn’t excuse people who know they have a highly infectious disease.

I have a question about getting tested two weeks before in case you are positive then you have a doctors note. If this were the case, you had Covid two weeks before sailing, would it even show up on an antigen rapid test two weeks later? I thought it was just a PCR test that for a while shows a positive even though you’re “recovered“? I thought that was the issue with the antigen test- you have take it within that sweet spot to even get a positive??

I need to keep this in mind for our Hawaii sailing that starts in Vancouver. Right now to enter Canada you need a PCR test so this strategy makes sense then. I honestly I’m so down lately because every day I thought of this actually happening seems dimmer

“Probably” unknowingly?
Yes, most Covid positive people are asymptomatic and therefore the person you sit next to who has Covid probably doesn't know that he or she has it.

A person who knows he or she is Covid positive should not fly, but people who know they're positive staying off the plane is not going to keep Covid off the plane. It's still going to be there, carried by people who don't know they are positive. That's why people who are at high risk from serious Covid complications should not fly. Responsibility goes both ways.

Just to inject a bit of practical reality into this discussion.

Last edited:
Yes, most Covid positive people are asymptomatic and therefore the person you sit next to who has Covid probably doesn't know that he or she has it.

A person who knows he or she is Covid positive should not fly, but people who know they're positive staying off the plane is not going to keep Covid off the plane. It's still going to be there, carried by people who don't know they are positive. That's why people who are at high risk from serious Covid complications should not fly. Responsibility goes both ways.

It’s just important to not conflate these two ideas.

The person beside you shouldn’t “probably” not have a positive test. If they do, they shouldn’t be flying. Period. The responsibility doesn’t go both ways.

Whether it is safe for someone who is worried about contracting Covid to fly is a separate question. That does not absolve the first person.

Those of us that are high risk don't need practical reality injected by others at the point. WE KNOW. We've heard for 2 years how we're the ones that will die while others barely make any changes, watching sadly from our homes.

With omicron right now, I'm concerned about my choices, but ultimately, a Disney ship is safer than my job. (I work for local government, in infrastructure, and can't do my job from home.) That said, we actually did change our cruise plans yet again, specifically to avoid airports and flying. We're only a 6.5 hour drive from Port Canaveral. It's not the ship I wanted to be on, nor is it an itinerary I wanted to do. But it is what it is.

If you test positive you are supposed to isolate for 10 days. Ideally without taking public transportation. Yes, it could cost $ and time to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter