Deposit Refund

Mark Cameron

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone, we are having to cancel our upcoming cruise because of a medical issue with my wife. We are within the 45 to 75 days window where we lose the deposit if we cancel. Has anyone had any luck getting the deposit back if we are gonna roll it into another Disney World trip? We also got trip insurance so maybe we can recover the deposit with them? Thank you!

DCL and WDW are two separate entities. They do not transfer money from one to the other. DCL might (but do not count on it) transfer your deposit to another cruise.

DCL and WDW are two separate entities. They do not transfer money from one to the other. DCL might (but do not count on it) transfer your deposit to another cruise.
So if they allow me to reschedule a cruise for later on then I could maybe cancel that one outside of the window I need for a full refund? I hear DCL is much more strict with stuff than WDW is.

Call DCL, it is the only way to know for sure. You won’t be able to transfer to WDW, but you may have luck transferring to another DCL trip. It depends on the severity of your wife’s condition and who you speak with.
With medical letters your insurance should cover you. Good luck and hope she will be ok. Post an update how you get on.

So if they allow me to reschedule a cruise for later on then I could maybe cancel that one outside of the window I need for a full refund? I hear DCL is much more strict with stuff than WDW is.
As I said, do not count on it. Call them and find out. Some have posted here that a sudden death in the family, a grave diagnosis or severe injury prompted DCL to be lenient and allow a rescheduling. However, they track the non-refundable deposits from cruise to cruise - Concierge deposits are non-refundable but can be transferred to a non-Concierge room, while still being non-refundable - so you will not be able to get your money back by being allowed to transfer then cancelling.

Most likely not. I know if someone books a Concierge room (non-refundable deposit) and then changes it to a regular room (usually has a refundable deposit), if they then cancel their reservation the deposit remains non-refundable.

Since you have trip insurance and are cancelling for a medical reason - the trip insurance should reimburse you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter