Deserted Six Flags Park in New Orleans

old lady

DIS Veteran
Should Disney buy the deserted Six Flags in New Orleans or should Six Flags restore it? Does anyone feel bad about this park being abandoned?

Should Disney buy the deserted Six Flags in New Orleans or should Six Flags restore it? Does anyone feel bad about this park being abandoned?

We would love to see something done with it. Live an hour away. The park was inundated in Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Has sat in ruins since.

Our family was there at Jazzland in June BK (before Katrina). There were bad thunderstorms that rolled through and shut the park down. We got rain checks for our day, but never got to use them.

We would definitely go to a new park there. I remember Ponchartrain Beach before Jazzland.

It's so creepy out there. This drone video is pretty awesome. I wish someone would do something with it, but I do not see it happening any time soon.

Last edited:
Nope. I think that scrolling verbiage indicates why Disney shouldn't buy it and most likely why no one else would either. They might do better at a film studio using it for background. Thinking something akin to the town square at Universal Studios Hollywood.

Honestly, just because one person thinks a theme park is a great idea, doesn't mean that it should be built. There's examples across the country of theme parks that were built (and later demolished) due to poor location or lack of attendance.

I think it is just a matter of time before another storm comes and floods the area again. I don't remember six flags having great attendance numbers to begin with. Whenever I went, it wasn't crowded and I went quite a few times. Good for getting on rides but not good financially for the operator. I wouldn't mind another amusement park but a different location would be smarter.

Disney has had a very questionable track record for at least the past decade keeping 4 parks in one of their flagship resorts maintained, fully operating and updated, despite having plenty of guests who pay good money to visit. They need to provide their current paying guests with the Disney quality experience before spreading themselves thinner.

That one is a boondoggle, and is best plowed under. A good park (I mean a regular public park, not a theme park) would be nice, but using it as a film backlot is also a good idea, and much more likely to happen; local government is frightened by the liability issues that go along with public parkland.

We would love to see something done with it. Live an hour away. The park was inundated in Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Has sat in ruins since.

Our family was there at Jazzland in June BK (before Katrina). There were bad thunderstorms that rolled through and shut the park down. We got rain checks for our day, but never got to use them.

We would definitely go to a new park there. I remember Ponchartrain Beach before Jazzland.

Used to love Pnchatrain Beach! As teens it was THE place to go.

They tore it down right? I mean it didn’t flood or anything?

I would love to see someone come in and put in another amusement park. It would have to be conpletly demolished and rebuilt though.

The land there is right next to a wildlife refuge and is subsiding. Given how much investment would be required and given the vulnerability, I just don't see much in developing it again.

Last edited:
Is it still standing? Wow I'm surprised. Six Flags should remove what's left.

I would love to see Disney do something with it mostly b/c probably only Disney could turn it into something sustainable. I don’t think another storm is inevitable like some have implied & as a resident resent the sentiment that everything here is just a ticking time bomb. However, I do think Disney would never end up doing anything b/c the business aspect would probably get bogged down by the corruption & ineptitude that is often present in LA & NOLA government.

I would love to see Disney do something with it mostly b/c probably only Disney could turn it into something sustainable. I don’t think another storm is inevitable like some have implied & as a resident resent the sentiment that everything here is just a ticking time bomb. However, I do think Disney would never end up doing anything b/c the business aspect would probably get bogged down by the corruption & ineptitude that is often present in LA & NOLA government.

I totally understand where you are coming from. NOLA was there how many years without something like Katrina happening??

Besides, didn't they fix the levy system?

I totally understand where you are coming from. NOLA was there how many years without something like Katrina happening??

Besides, didn't they fix the levy system?

The levees are not repaired to the extent they need to be. South Louisiana loses so much coastline to erosion every day that at some point in the future entire communities will be lost.

I do not think another Katrina will happen in our lifetime, though.

The levees are not repaired to the extent they need to be. South Louisiana loses so much coastline to erosion every day that at some point in the future entire communities will be lost.

I do not think another Katrina will happen in our lifetime, though.

Can I ask why they haven't been repaired to the extent they need to be? I mean is it a money thing?

Camille hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast in 1969 and then Katrina hit in 2005. Both devastating to the MS Gulf coast. There were storms in between but nothing like those two.

Can I ask why they haven't been repaired to the extent they need to be? I mean is it a money thing?

Camille hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast in 1969 and then Katrina hit in 2005. Both devastating to the MS Gulf coast. There were storms in between but nothing like those two.

Here's a long, but informative read on it:

https://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2018/05/doubts_remain_about_safety_of.html

People here don't want to pay taxes to help maintain these things. The feds have been taking oil royalties from Louisiana for years. The southern coast of the state is sinking. Hell, even the nutria are eating holes in the levees.

It's a losing situation all around.

Here's a long, but informative read on it:

https://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2018/05/doubts_remain_about_safety_of.html

People here don't want to pay taxes to help maintain these things. The feds have been taking oil royalties from Louisiana for years. The southern coast of the state is sinking. Hell, even the nutria are eating holes in the levees.

It's a losing situation all around.

Oh wow. When you consider how hold some of the levy systems were, I am amazed that more people weren't yelling for them to be fixed long before Katrina. Its sad. NOLA is a beautiful old city and some day it may just be washed away!

Ain't that the truth? Louisiana has many, many things going for it, but the erosion issue is huge, and I'm sure you know that. The ONLY way that it is going to be truly fixed is if the oil companies are made to do something to remediate the wetlands damage they have caused (MR GO, anyone?) It saddens me to say it, as a native (who moved away for work but still has lots of family in S. Louisiana), but until Louisiana residents stand up and force the feds and the oil industry to take notice that you're not going to accept this state of affairs any longer, then it is likely to continue. Hurricanes themselves are not the problem, Louisiana before widespread development survived centuries of hurricanes. The problem is that careless stewardship of natural resources is destroying the wetlands that protect the coast. (I know those wetlands, I grew up there. My Dad was a carpenter and a fisherman; he often worked on homes in Terrebonne and Plaquemines that were well over 100 years old, and he fished the waters off the coast and in Maurepas every season. In a place like coastal Louisiana, building against the climate is a very foolish thing to do, because Nature will always take advantage of that.)

I'm going to skirt close to the political here, because there is no way to talk about the infrastructure problems in Louisiana without at least acknowledging the presence of that giant elephant that is inextricably intertwined with the state's environmental situation. I'm trying to be as careful as possible about how I state it, but much as I love my home state, there is a longstanding problem there of citizens consistently voting against their own economic interests in State and Federal elections. The result is that a beautiful place with a unique and wonderful culture has for decades been treated as if it were a go-cup -- something to be used for a quick buzz and then tossed when you're done with it. It is a train that will be very hard to stop, but Louisianians are some of the most resilient people on this earth, and I have faith that eventually that instinct for survival will prevail.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter