Dessert Inn & Suites

Lynn-Marie

Praying for peace
We just came back from our trip to DLR and staying at the Dessert Inn & Suites. We are used to staying in the Paradise Pier Hotel and probably will make a greater effort to make sure we continue staying at PP. While DI&S was, overall, a fairly nice place to stay (more on that later), it was a difficult place for us to stay as we are parents of a toddler who needs a nap in the afternoon.

This hotel seems to have a shortage of house keeping staff, stretching them so thin that your room might not be clean even if you come back in the afternoon. For example, one day we left the room at 7:30 in the morning and didn't come back until after 2:00 p.m. We got a phone call from house keeping at 4:00, asking if they could come clean our room (which was a good thing). The bad thing is, even though we told them we'd be ready to go in a half an hour they showed up 20 minutes later. That's kind of a push when you have a toddler to get out the door.

Positives: the front desk staff is fast, courteous and professional. They have a guard in the parking lot at night. The rooms are clean and the facilities, while a little old, are kept up to a good standard. They also have a helpful guide in the room that tells you who delivers food to the hotel and which restaurants have discounts for the asking.

We'll probably go there again once the little guy doesn't need naps.

Thanks for the information!! Loking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Hope the weather was wonderful and your stay magical!!!

k

How was the pool, how deep??? How was the breakfest and size of the rooms??? Was it as convient as others have made it out to be??? Any info would be appreciated as we are considering staying there in Dec. We have a family of 5, 2 adults, son who is 17 and 2 daughters who are 6 and 9, will we have enough room, not that we will be speding much time in the room. Were there stores(food/shopping) and eating places close by???
And thanks for the info you have provided us, its greatly appareicated!!!

Hi Bob!

>How was the pool, how deep???

We decided not to use the pool since we got a room with a spa. From the outside, the pool didn't look too deep or too big. It seemed like a great place to go for a quick swim/spa after a day at the parks (or mid day when you're tired of the crowds.) The pool area, in general, also looked a bit cramped.

>How was the breakfest and size of the rooms???

We decided not to go for the breakfast. We saw some folks taking bits of the breakfast out to their rooms and the watered down juice and Costco/Sam's Club appearance of the other items (e.g., uninspiring fruit and pastries) was a little less than appetizing. Instead, we made coffee in our room and ate the pastries we brought from home. We also did the character breakfasts - which are the best when you have a toddler!

We were in a Parlour Suite - which was big enough for three adults and a toddler and then some! This room comes with a separate sitting area, complete with TV, chest of drawers and pull out couch. (Perfect for your teenager.) It is separated from the main room (which had 2 queens a TV, bathroom and sink/mirror area). You can close the door between the two areas.

>Was it as convient as others have made it out to be???

It was extremely convenient - which is key when you have a toddler who takes naps and you're not particularly athletic. We've stayed at the Grand Californian, Paradise Pier and the Disney Hotel - we thought this hotel was - perhaps - at least as close as the GC is to Disneyland (which is where we always start our day).

>not that we will be speding much time in the room.

That's probably a good thing that you won't - because it's not the most upbeat/sunshiny place to be. If you will spend more time in your room, you definitely want one of the Disney hotels as they are of a higher quality and furnished in a more cheerful way.

>Were there stores(food/shopping) and eating places close by???

There are two snack bars/7-Eleven type places very close by - one is in the hotel complex, itself. IHOP is on one side of the hotel, Denny's is on the other side. Tony Roma's is a couple of doors down. Mc Donald's is about a block away. A rack of newspapers is behind the Denny's (very important if you want a newspaper - because it's the closest news rack).

All in all, I wouldn't mind being there again. The problem is, we can't while our son is of the age where he needs naps. The maid service is just too spotty to be able to predict when one's room will be done. Given the age of your kids, that's probably not a problem. However, if you do go mid day back to your room for a swim, you might want to be sure that the maids have done your room before you leave. We saw a family two doors away from us who came back from a swim and were eager to change out of their wet swim clothes. Unfortunately, they were made to wait outside of their room in the hallway (which is an outdoors hallway). I don't know why the maids didn't just let the family in because it was clear that they were shivvering as they were waiting.

The check in and check out was nice and smooth - which is an improvement over checking in at a Disney hotel where waiting is usually part of the check in process. [Incidentally... checking out of Disney hotels is easier because you can do the fast check outs there. They provide you with an itemized bill early in the AM the morning of your checkout - they put it under your door in the middle of the night - and if you agree with the charges you just leave and they'll charge your card as noted on the bill.]

Let me know if you have any other questions. We go to DLR about every other month - so we've got a lot of opinions and tips about how to enjoy it.

Have fun!

--LM

Thanks for the great and informative reply!!!
By the way did you go to Knotts or Universal Studios or Snad Diego Zoo??? If so what was your impressions???

Thanks for the great and informative reply!!!
By the way did you go to Knotts or Universal Studios or Snad Diego Zoo??? If so what was your impressions???

Bob,

We didn't go to any other parks on this particular trip. It's been awhile since we went to the other parks - mostly because it's nice to just park your car and stay put, without worrying about traffic, etc.

Glad the report was helpful! I hope you and your family enjoy a terrific time at the Happiest Place on Earth!

--LM

thanks for the report, we wouldn't mind hearing more :)

We like to stay here in the winter, when the fact that the pool is indoors makes it so worth while. In the warm weather months i would probobly stay elsewhere.

Lynn-Marie What do you think are the best Rest. at DL and DCA and what helpfull hints can you give us about touring DL and DCA in a timely manner????

Hi Bob!

I think the best restaurant at DL - far and away - is the Blue Bayou. The food is really good (although it seems to me that it's not as good as it was, say, 4 years ago). The ambiance is fantastic. Perhaps you already know that this restaurant is located in the Pirates of the Caribbean (at the beginning of the ride) and it is rumored that the food at BB comes from the same kitchen serving Club 33 (can anyone else confirm this?)

We also really enjoy the Character Breakfast at the Plaza (at the end of Main Street). The food there is good - not great -- but the character interaction there cannot be beat. If you're traveling with children who love the Pooh characters, they will LOVE this place.

At DCA we have enjoyed the dinners at the Soap Opera Bistro and at the Vineyard. We also enjoy going for lunch at Avalon Cove - but this is not a universally held high opinion. We have some friends who swear they'll never eat there again because of food quality and slow service. We have never had a bad meal there - but then again, we didn't order fish there (as they did - it was previously frozen and not well cooked). We tend to order the burgers and the Salmon dishes. We go there when we want to take a leisurely lunch and have some nice quiet time. The food here is good - not great and the character interactions here are a lot of fun. It's also great to sit outside and enjoy the sights and sounds. It's a great first stop when you first get into town (at least that's what we do when we get in anytime after noon but before dinner time).

A less expensive and enjoyable meal can be found at DCA's Hollywood and Dine. This is a cafeteria style food court that has everything from Chinese food to burgers. The prices are good enough and the quality of the food is better than most fast food on the premises.

For a fast meal at DL we enjoy the Mexican restaurant in Frontierland (can't remember the name of it right now.)

You didn't ask about restaurants outside of DL/DCA, but we have a few opinions here as well...

Outside of DLR, don't forget to try Tony Roma's on Harbor, just outside the DLR gate. Exit to the right and you'll see it on the opposite side of the street a block from the main gate.

Take the time to enjoy a meal at the Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian Hotel. It is really good quality food and the ambiance is really nice. For the character breakfasts, it's really low key. The characters generally hang out at he entrance to the restaurant and occassionally dance around the restaurant (about once every half hour or so) with the kids. The buffets there aren't inexpensive - but the quality of the food selections there is really top notch. I always particularly enjoy their fresh lox and fresh fruit. It's the only place on property where I can rely on the fruit to be fresh.

Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel is another great place to go for breakfast (I haven't done any other meal there - so can't comment on that). Of all the character breakfasts, this one has the most variety in terms of food choices (buffet) and characters. The quality of the food is good.

If you're ever going nuts about the crowds and just want to get away for a good meal - but still stay on property - try out the Paradise Pier Hotel's restaurant. If you go there for an early dinner, you'll be surprised at how quiet it is and the quality of the food. Many people enjoy their pizzas, which you can make at your table. (Kids love it!)

A negative: we ate at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney and thought it was overpriced and not very good food.

A neutral: we have eaten at the Rainforest Cafe several times and find the food to be okay - but the environment to be a lot of fun for our son.

In terms of how to see DLR in an efficient way... that really depends on what you want to see. I'd recommend visiting the disneyland.com website and mapping out on paper the shows and parades you want to see, first. Then, plug in which rides would best fit around those choices. I would also make priority seating reservations at every restaurant you know you want to experience. Waiting for a table at a Disney restaurant can be a big time waster and priority seating arrangements will ensure you have more time to enjoy your time at DLR. Of course, be sure to use your fast pass opportunities whenever you can.

I typically map out our days on an Excel spreadsheet (I know - it's obsessive - compulsive of me, but it works). It helps me to see what all we want to do and to ensure we're not setting ourselves up for "biting off more than we can chew." I am always sure to build in walking through the crowds time and time to stop and take pictures and shop.

In general, we like to start off our days at DL (right at opening) and migrate to DCA in the afternoon. Depending on which parades/shows we want to see will determine where we are at night. So far, this strategy has worked. I think as more people figure out that DCA is not busy in the afternoon (at least not as much as DLR), we'll need to make adjustments to our plan. But so far - at least in August - we've managed to stay away from the crowds and see all that we want to see. The addition of "Flik's" in DCA is likely to draw more of a crowd, thereby providing some relief to DL throughout the day.

Finally, I'd sign up for a tour of DL. It's a really nice way to see DL and get to know some of the behind the scenes stories. We have done the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour. I heard it changed since we did it in July - but you might want to check that out.

Budget tip: if you plan to be at DLR with a big group and plan to eat at a lot of DLR's restaurants and buy some souveniers, you may want to consider picking up at least one premium annual pass for a member of your party. The Premium annual pass will give you at least a 10% discount on most higher end restaurants and 10% on all souvenier purchases over $10. Of course, if you have an American Express and/or Disney Club card you will get many of these discounts already. Also, the premium annual pass, Amex and DC will enable you to get good discounts at the Disney Hotels. Be sure to call at least a few weeks in advance to be sure you have a higher chance of getting the few discounted slots they have for people holding these cards.

Hope these hints/tips are helpful. I'm sure others will have their ideas/opinions on DLR. Whichever choices you make, enjoy the experience at the Happiest Place on Earth!

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter