Destroy your receipts!

Faith: I have no problem with someone writting "see photo ID" since it is much better than an unsigned card. Do you have many that notice it though? Rarely to they check mine.

Ok, let me get this straight. I am trying to protect you from fraud and you are yelling at me?

No, SheDaisy, you were not protecting the consumer when asking for an ID. You were protecting the company you worked for. Policies for checking IDs for a credit card transaction are made not made by the banks or AMEX, they are made by the stores. It really irks me when companies make up rules "for your convenience" when they are really covering their own butts.

I use my credit card for 95% of the purchases I make. And yes, I do complain when someone asks me for an ID because I find it invasive. Especially when they take some info like my DL number off it. Talk about ammunition for identity theft! BT, I know that the poor clerk can't do a thing about the policy so sometimes I will even talk to the manager about it. I do not return to businesses that check ID's, because why would I want to put myself through being grilled again?

I do like it when someone checks my signature. If my signature did not match for some reason, then I would happily show an ID. There is a difference between being conscientious and invasive.

I also do not sign on the digital signature thingy, but that's another topic ;).

RobinB, I know you said that the digital signature thingy was another topic,
but being the paranoid person that I am, I am curious.

Why shouldn't we be signing them? And, what is the alternative? Thanks!

I have no problem with someone writting "see photo ID" since it is much better than an unsigned card. Do you have many that notice it though? Rarely to they check mine.

Probably only about half the time. But then again they only check for the signature about half the time. So I figure I come out 50/50. That's why I always thank folks in order to reenforce the checking.

Faith

You bring up a good point about asking for additional ID. I didn't complain because I was just glad someone CARED ;) I've had the clerks ask me for my phone number (or address) as well and I pull out my little paper from VISA which states they CANNOT ask me for it! I just tell them, well, let's make one up. And you're right, unless the signatures don't match, no other ID is necessary. I would never allow them to write anything else on the charge slip, but... One time a clerk at a gas station wanted my phone number and I told her I didn't have to give it to her. SHe got really mad and said "well, I'll just get your license plate number". I said "fine, go get it!" I haven't been asked for it there again.

On another subject... I had a clerk ask for my DL for ID on a check purchase (use debt cards now). Upon showing it to her, she noticed my SS# wasn't on there, but the DL#. She said "I need your SS#". Of course I said "no you don't. Use the DL number." She stated "it's the law. You must give it to me". I said "no, honey, it's NOT the law, it may be a store policy, not it's NOT the law that I must give you my SS#." Gee, she was mad as well, but accepted the DL#. OH, and I even had the Girl Scouts asking for my SS# in order for my daughter to sell cookies!!! I was floored. I gave them nothing! Protect your SS# at all costs!

Robinb,

AMEX is a non-transferrable card. Meaning that it can only be used by the cardholder and no one else!!

Ok so you would want someone that steals your purse to be able to use your credit cards? I know that eventually you will not have to pay but why go through all that trouble!!

It takes at least 30 days for the matter to be resolved. In the meantime you have all the hassles associated with this!!

Credit card companies do require a signature in order for them to be valid!! Look on the back of any credit card and you will see that!!

I am sorry!! I will go to anyplace that checks my id!! It is a matter of protecting myself and my hard earned money!!

There is an acceptable limit however. You just have to know how to judge people!! My hubby works at Target and has caught people with stolen, phony credit cards!! You name it he has seen it!! I would never go so far as to push the limit of good and courteous behavior!! I just knoiw that whenever I would see "Check Id" on someones card, I did exactly that!!

After all as anyone that has ever done any cashiering knows, you have to be very careful about what is acceptable!! Asking for a SS# is too far fetched!! I am sorry!!

I am not trying to be rude, just adding my 2 cents!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

SheDaisy0088 said:

Ok so you would want someone that steals your purse to be able to use your credit cards? I know that eventually you will not have to pay but why go through all that trouble!!

It takes at least 30 days for the matter to be resolved. In the meantime you have all the hassles associated with this!!

Of course I don't want someone to use my credit cards. I just want to be treated like a valued customer and not like a thief myself. BTW, I have had my wallet taken ... in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris during Sunday Mass. Believe me, canceling credit cards from another country on a Sunday is a real treat :). I got a new AMEX card the next day in Paris. Since my Visa was not a Gold card, I needed to wait until we got home to have it replaced.

Was is a big giant pain in the butt to have everything, including my CC, replaced? Yes. However, I would still rather do that than go through that than suffer daily ID checks and statement shreading.

RobinB, I know you said that the digital signature thingy was another topic,
but being the paranoid person that I am, I am curious.

Why shouldn't we be signing them? And, what is the alternative? Thanks!

Although you can't tell from my posts in this tread, I am a privacy freak. I don't give out my phone number, my address, my SSN, or digitize my signature. I politely tell the clerk that I would rather sign on the paper and not the machine and they almost always allow me to do it. Sometimes I have to scribble on the machine for them to complete the transaction. I've had to wait for managers to override the register because some clerks don't know how to do it. I've only had a problem once and that was at a Best Buy when buying a CD. The manager yelled at me and told me that I would have to sign next time. That was 2 years ago and I have not had to sign on the machine there yet ;).

As a note, Swan/Dolphin is doing some checking as to whether their system will be able to remove the full # & just print partial. Just FYI.

Regardless-from the Merchant Agreements for Nova (one of the nations largest processors for merchants)

You will identify the cardholder and check the expiration date and signature on each card. You will not honor any card if (1) the card is expired (2)the signature on the sales draft does not correspond with the signature on the card or (3) the account number on the card does not match the account number on the cards magnetic stripe (etc, etc). ALSO: Unless permitted under the laws & rulesyou will not require the cardholder to provide personal information such as a home or business telephone number, a home or business address or a driver's license number as a condition for honoring a card.

Also- merchants cannot surcharge or add a % for accepting a card or they can lose their agreements.

Also- merchants cannot require a minimum purchase amount or they can lose their agreements.

Also-merchants cannot force you to use a PIN if you want to use a signature (debit programs). (It costs less as a PIN based transaction so of course they want you to do that).

According to our regional rep, a card MUST be signed. The "see id" is not actually valid - I imagine that goes out to a fake ID possibility or such.

Take note-you will see the minimum purchase amount & the upcharge different places. If you feel this has happened to you, send the info to Mastercard or Visa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter