Details about Woods & Disney

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
The Orlando Sentinel has an article that details the agreement between Tiger Woods & Disney. The short version is that Woods will play golf - on Disney sponsored TV. They say he will not be endorsing the parks or other branches of the conglomerate.

Sarangel

Sounds like 50 Million well spent!

I wonder how many jobs went into funding the Tiger golf marathon???

How about looking at it from: How much money will it bring ABC & ESPN which will NOT need to come from the park's income.

It sounds like a package of glorified, big bucks appearance fees. They're nothing new, but they're usually associated with specific (non-PGA) tournaments. Woods has been commanding very high fees for those events for quite some time. This sounds like a variation on that theme, except some (many/most?) of the events will have that non-PGA made-for-tv quality (like the annual Skins game).

Gary

HBK and DisDuck. Boy oh boy, have I got a surprise for you!

Most of the time (nearly 100%) I agree with every word HBK writes. And conversely, DisDuck and I hardly EVER agree. This time it is a complete reversal.

While I still question the wisdom, or perhaps the necessity, of this move, I can see some small benefit regarding ESPN and ABC. Now I really want to stress that this should have never come to be in the first place, as the purchase of ABC was a HUGE mistake. BUT, as long as we're stuck with it, I can see some salvation in hiring Woods.

The whole issue, once again, smacks of covering your mistakes. It's reminds me of what a friend of mine told me about my golf game recently. After an absolutely suburb (if I do say so myself) 5 wood shot, that landed on the green, he turned to me and said, WOW!, you've got some great recovery shots.

I thought about that for a while and decided that what was meant as a compliment really only pointed to the fact that I needed 'recovery'. If it we're not for the topped tee shot and the two duffs following it, I would not have needed that great 'recovery' 5 wood for a bogie on the hole.

The story reminds me of Ei$ner. He always seems to need a great 'recovery' shot (Imagination, AK, DCA, Alien Encounters, etc. And now ABC/ESPN). Sadly, most of the time, he doesn't have one!!

While I still question the wisdom, or perhaps the necessity, of this move, I can see some small benefit regarding ESPN and ABC. Now I really want to stress that this should have never come to be in the first place, as the purchase of ABC was a HUGE mistake. BUT, as long as we're stuck with it, I can see some salvation in hiring Woods.

I don't question the move. I'm sure it will help out ESPN & Disney....

I just question the timing. With the company struggling to "batten down the hatches" by gutting it's heart and soul (Theme parks, WDI, Animation) does it make sense to hire someone whom his agent refers to as the second highest paid employee @ Disney?

Also, it's not an exclusive contract. Tiger still picks and chooses what courses & tournaments he plays in.

So basically when he plays on a disney golf course, Disney gets to broadcast it on it's television? How? What about the rest of the tour? What about the other golfers? How does this really help ESPN? They already show tiger and all of his highlights?

I don't understand the full details of the contract. All I see is a company which crys poor to the paying public, but then goes and hires someone for $50 Million.

… back to normal.

All I see is a company which cries poor to the paying public, but then goes and hires someone for $50 Million.
Ahhh. All is right with the world again. ;)

I couldn't agree more!!!

Well said, HBK!!!!

Well said, HBK!!!!

Thanks DVC....

I'd like someone to try to clear me up on this though....I really don't understand how this helps ABC / ESPN.

I could see if it was similar to the deals HBO & Showtime sign with Boxers....where the channels gains exclusivity to their fights....but shouldn't this deal be with the PGA?

So what other chunks of Walt Disney World will start turning up in Anaheim in the near future? Well, Disney’s Imagineers had hoped to acquire two of the Magic Kingdom’s most recent additions -- "Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin" and "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" -- to Disneyland’s lineup over the next year or two. But budget cuts at WDI have put these plans on the back burner.

Yeah, the parks aren't helping finance Ei$ner's "recovery shot" (TM DVC-LANDBARON)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter