DHS Animation Academy M&G Closing Date? With Bonus Story!

TheDisDork

Welcome Home
Hey all!

Sorry to bother with this question! So, as many are aware, Magic of Animation in DHS is ending its run on the 12th of this month. My question, however, is whether there has been a confirmed date for the closure of the M&G area you enter post-show / behind the Art of Disney store. Will it occur at a later date or will it close concurrently with Magic? I would really, really love to make sure I get to visit that area one more time before it closes for good.

I haven't taken advantage of the M&G, but I will happily share a story lending credence to the idea that every attraction, big or small, Under New Management or original, can be somebody's most special place. When I was a young warthog, I snuck through the back of the Art of Disney store our parents were perusing and into what we thought was a "secret" part of the store. The fun for me, at first, came from this little adventure. That same visit, I purchased a book from that Art of Disney on the making of Lilo and Stitch, which I would learn many years later was made in that very building. That book would serve as my introduction to the wonderful world of filmmaking. It is still on my shelf at home, first book on the top left.

The wonderful thing about this story is, I can tell it without stretching details to fit a more colorful, neatly packaged narrative. Some stories work out just right as-is.

As the years went on, it became something of a tradition, whether I was with this cousin or not, to visit this area. I fell in love with the concept art and faux Academy Award displays (of course, the display with the reprint of Chris Sanders's original sketch of Stitch became recognized as its own small temple). I typically visit WDW 5+ times a year, and one of my greatest thrills always has / was walking down the small hallway covered with posters of upcoming films, scrutinizing the concepts just announced or proselytizing about those whose development I have followed to whichever poor soul had accompanied me this trip.

And then there has been that room. As I said before, big or small, every little detail of Disney can mean the whole world to someone. That room you enter immediately after the Magic of Disney Animation (or after "sneaking" through the back of Art of Disney) has been that place to me. Those maquettes and drawings of upcoming films were my E-Ticket. They were proof positive that there were people out there - real people like you and me, people who maybe, MAYBE one day I could be like - who really existed, who worked hard, and who worked together to make those pieces of magic that occupy the Disney vaults. I liked to put my hands against the glass and imagine that one day I could be part of a team like that. It didn't matter if I did or didn't like the final product upon its release months later - what was important is that it showed someone that they could be special and one day make something that might make someone else feel that special too.

That little area in the back is where magic becomes real to me. That is the power that every part of these parks can have over people like us.

It has been 12 years since I first visited that area or bought that book. During those intervening years I studied filmmaking, worked hard, and kept a stiff upper lip against what I was sure were insurmountable odds. But that little area in the back of the store always gave me a special kind of energy. I am now the lead editor of a hit TV show. I am happy with my career and I am paid handsomely enough that I can continue my 5+ trips to WDW every year where I can turn off the phone, stop checking the email, and pretend to be a normal, functioning human being. Among the decorations in my edit bay are an Up poster and a small Toothless figurine from the film How to Train Your Dragon (created Chris Sanders, of Lilo and Stitch fame). To someone, somewhere out there, I hope they think I help make magic. Is it the magic of Disney that we all know and love? No, not yet. That's still a special kind of magic to me. But the idea of that special magic gives me something to reach for, be it with Disney or not. I was inspired to realize that people like you and me really can do something great with our lives, be it great for one person or millions.

But it will be hard for me to say goodbye to my little room. It will be nigh impossible to walk into that store last time, knowing that the next time I go there will be no more secret entrance in the back. There will be no more picture of Stitch in that little glass display. There will be no more little mock-Academy Awards to wish upon. No more kids lining up for Sorcerer Mickey. No more posters to wonder at adorning that little hallway. And no more little maquettes to still keep reaching for. There will be a hole in my heart for you, little room. You might just make a guy cry when he says goodbye and thanks you for everything you did for him.

Thank you for reminding us that there are little pieces of magic throughout the parks and resorts. And those little pieces of magic aren't the same for everyone. I don't have one particular little pieces of magic. For me, it's the entire Disney experience. From the moment I'm met at the resort with a "Welcome Home" until I leave at the end of my trip, I'm in my happy place.

Nice story!

The M&G area also closes at the end of the day on July 12th. Sorcerer Mickey moves to the Backlot Tour area (temporary location) and Minnie moves to the Center Stage area. Hiro and Baymax will no longer be meeting after the 12th.

The only portion of the Animation Building that will remain open is the shop. It's slated to close in August.

Isn't the Hiro and Baymax meet extremely popular.

The box office numbers of Inside Out might want them to prompt a meet and greet with them too

Nice story!

The M&G area also closes at the end of the day on July 12th. Sorcerer Mickey moves to the Backlot Tour area (temporary location) and Minnie moves to the Center Stage area. Hiro and Baymax will no longer be meeting after the 12th.

The only portion of the Animation Building that will remain open is the shop. It's slated to close in August.

So the Animation Academy is closing July 12, too? I had read that it would be open until Aug.

Some other sites, like Kenny the Pirate are not assuming Baymax and Hiro will leave after the 12th. Communication from Disney has said that M&G are moving and does not separate them out from Mickey and Minnie. I think we will have to wait until the 13thand see who really gets a new spot.

I'll be honest, you're story made me tear up a little. I had a moment like that myself recently when the backlot tour shut down. I used to ride it a thousand times a day, just to try to catch a tiny glimpse of the seamstresses making the costumes. I'm still studying costume design tho and hope that one day I can be as happy with what I've built as you.

On the subject of characters though a friend of mine who happened to be Hiro's first friend in fl recently confided in me that Hiro will indeed no longer be doing M&G and was lamenting with me over how he'll sadly not get to hang out with him anymore because no one at MK recognized him when he recently went there for photos :(

From 7 years ago in that same hallway, my daughter and Stitch reading their books.

wdw08%2B196.jpg

She leaves in a month to attend Ringling College of Art and Design in the hopes that she can make the same kind of magic for Disney/Pixar that she grew up admiring in the Art of Animation building. :)

On the subject of characters though a friend of mine who happened to be Hiro's first friend in fl recently confided in me that Hiro will indeed no longer be doing M&G
We're at DLR right now and met some WDW entertainment CMs. They are hoping their return goes as planned to make it to DHS on Sunday to meet up with Hiro and Baymax one last time.

So the Animation Academy is closing July 12, too? I had read that it would be open until Aug.

I've seen that on some other sites, too. I hope it's open through our August trips; it's our favorite thing to do at DHS. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for sharing your story and I think it touches the exact reason so many of us love Disney and return to this place of magic year after year.

I'm sure many are happy to see that big hat gone from HS, for me not so much. Our first trip was in July 2001 and at that time there were still construction walls all the way around it. I didn't have a clue what they were doing in that spot. On that first trip we saw Fantasmic! and my 6 year old son's hero of all heroes became Sorcerer Mickey. The next year when we went back and he saw that big hat it was magical for him. On our trip last May we had no clue the hat would be gone by the time we got back for our trip this year. My son is 20 now and when I told him it was gone he was genuinely sad about it. The same can be said when I told him that we should enjoy DisneyQuest all we can in September because it will be gone forever very soon.

These changes are sad for many of us. I think we have to hold those memories in our hearts and welcome what is coming with open minds. You know the new magic that is coming will be wonderful too and will become the special memory making spots for many others.

Hey all!

Sorry to bother with this question! So, as many are aware, Magic of Animation in DHS is ending its run on the 12th of this month. My question, however, is whether there has been a confirmed date for the closure of the M&G area you enter post-show / behind the Art of Disney store. Will it occur at a later date or will it close concurrently with Magic? I would really, really love to make sure I get to visit that area one more time before it closes for good.

I haven't taken advantage of the M&G, but I will happily share a story lending credence to the idea that every attraction, big or small, Under New Management or original, can be somebody's most special place. When I was a young warthog, I snuck through the back of the Art of Disney store our parents were perusing and into what we thought was a "secret" part of the store. The fun for me, at first, came from this little adventure. That same visit, I purchased a book from that Art of Disney on the making of Lilo and Stitch, which I would learn many years later was made in that very building. That book would serve as my introduction to the wonderful world of filmmaking. It is still on my shelf at home, first book on the top left.

The wonderful thing about this story is, I can tell it without stretching details to fit a more colorful, neatly packaged narrative. Some stories work out just right as-is.

As the years went on, it became something of a tradition, whether I was with this cousin or not, to visit this area. I fell in love with the concept art and faux Academy Award displays (of course, the display with the reprint of Chris Sanders's original sketch of Stitch became recognized as its own small temple). I typically visit WDW 5+ times a year, and one of my greatest thrills always has / was walking down the small hallway covered with posters of upcoming films, scrutinizing the concepts just announced or proselytizing about those whose development I have followed to whichever poor soul had accompanied me this trip.

And then there has been that room. As I said before, big or small, every little detail of Disney can mean the whole world to someone. That room you enter immediately after the Magic of Disney Animation (or after "sneaking" through the back of Art of Disney) has been that place to me. Those maquettes and drawings of upcoming films were my E-Ticket. They were proof positive that there were people out there - real people like you and me, people who maybe, MAYBE one day I could be like - who really existed, who worked hard, and who worked together to make those pieces of magic that occupy the Disney vaults. I liked to put my hands against the glass and imagine that one day I could be part of a team like that. It didn't matter if I did or didn't like the final product upon its release months later - what was important is that it showed someone that they could be special and one day make something that might make someone else feel that special too.

That little area in the back is where magic becomes real to me. That is the power that every part of these parks can have over people like us.

It has been 12 years since I first visited that area or bought that book. During those intervening years I studied filmmaking, worked hard, and kept a stiff upper lip against what I was sure were insurmountable odds. But that little area in the back of the store always gave me a special kind of energy. I am now the lead editor of a hit TV show. I am happy with my career and I am paid handsomely enough that I can continue my 5+ trips to WDW every year where I can turn off the phone, stop checking the email, and pretend to be a normal, functioning human being. Among the decorations in my edit bay are an Up poster and a small Toothless figurine from the film How to Train Your Dragon (created Chris Sanders, of Lilo and Stitch fame). To someone, somewhere out there, I hope they think I help make magic. Is it the magic of Disney that we all know and love? No, not yet. That's still a special kind of magic to me. But the idea of that special magic gives me something to reach for, be it with Disney or not. I was inspired to realize that people like you and me really can do something great with our lives, be it great for one person or millions.

But it will be hard for me to say goodbye to my little room. It will be nigh impossible to walk into that store last time, knowing that the next time I go there will be no more secret entrance in the back. There will be no more picture of Stitch in that little glass display. There will be no more little mock-Academy Awards to wish upon. No more kids lining up for Sorcerer Mickey. No more posters to wonder at adorning that little hallway. And no more little maquettes to still keep reaching for. There will be a hole in my heart for you, little room. You might just make a guy cry when he says goodbye and thanks you for everything you did for him.
What wonderful thoughts!!!It is the little that really become big things for so many of us. Best wishes to continue on for you.

I really don't think Baymax and Hiro will be staying past the 12th or returning. They supposedly have a lot of trouble with Baymax's batteries, and it requires a lot of charging periods, leading to a lot of breaks during the M&G. I have even something like needing a break every 15-20 minutes to recharge. Even though they are immensely popular, people won't quit coming to WDW because they leave. So, I think with it being such a pain, that it's probably easier for them to close stop the M&G.

Plus, I think the 12th is really the correct date for all of that stuff, except the store, which is August. I have read someone say these dates whom I believe is in the know, because they have a family member who works at DHS. So, as sad as I feel about it, I don't think there's much we can do for now. Hopefully, One Man's Dream, probably not, and Animation Academy will reopen after the work is done.

4-hour wait for Hiro and Baymax right now! If anyone is thinking of visiting them today, their last day, the line may be cut off 4 or more hours before their last set is scheduled to end... try to be in line before 3:00p.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter