DHS, anyone decide not to visit during construction and regret it?

mom22boys

DIS Veteran
Three of our favorite rides are at DHS, and we can't imagine going to WDW without riding them. BUT, with so much of DHS being under construction I am just not sure if it is worth the extra $ for us to go. We do not buy park hoppers and our trip is shorter so we are truly talking about an extra $400 to go. I am kind of hoping that they come out with another 4 Park Magic Ticket offer. Hoping for some pixie dust!

Last edited:
My boys favorite rides are there too. Plus for some unknown reason, DH loves the Indy Stunt Show! This last trip, we did the Pixar Live Symphony and the Star Wars Dessert Party, both were new experiences for us. My boys loved exploring Pizza Rizzo (we didn't eat there) since they have such fond memories of pizza planet. We enjoyed our time at the park. We found things to do and explore.

I'm not much help as we always have park hoppers but we found ways to enjoy the park while under construction.

Oh the Guardians of the Galaxy meet and greet was a highlight too!

The backlot tour and GMR are the only closed rides right now.
(And the LMA show)

What would you do on that DHS day if you didn't go to any park?

The backlot tour and GMR are the only closed rides right now.
(And the LMA show)

What would you do on that DHS day if you didn't go to any park?

In the past, out trips have been slightly longer and when we bought five day tickets it was easier to justify a half day visit to DS. It was always out "quieter" day. This trip we might only buy a three day ticket so our price per day is higher.

If we didn't do DHS we might just take time to enjoy the resort more!

My boys favorite rides are there too. Plus for some unknown reason, DH loves the Indy Stunt Show! This last trip, we did the Pixar Live Symphony and the Star Wars Dessert Party, both were new experiences for us. My boys loved exploring Pizza Rizzo (we didn't eat there) since they have such fond memories of pizza planet. We enjoyed our time at the park. We found things to do and explore.

I'm not much help as we always have park hoppers but we found ways to enjoy the park while under construction.

Oh the Guardians of the Galaxy meet and greet was a highlight too!

Thanks for the ideas! I have been trying to look for different ways to enjoy the park. It would be great if Pixar Live Symphony and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular are showing when we go!

DS, I was about to say what rides are at Disney Springs.

As far as HS, not much is closed

I would regret not going to HS. There IS construction, but there's still plenty to see and do. The only things missing are the backlot/ Lights, Motor, Action area and the Great Movie Ride. Everything else is just as it ever was. We spent a whole day there on our last trip (September) and I was surprised that we filled the day.

I can not imagine a trip to WDW without at least riding TOT, Toy Story mania, and RR Coaster!! it's worth it for us just for that!

Construction doesn't really bother me. My favorite rides are at HS. I wouldn't be okay with skipping that park! But you have to do what's right for you and your family!

We were just there and while the park is somewhat sparse, the construction is not at disruptive or really noticeable. Its a half day or few hour park but worth a visit still.

I used to love Epcot, but I skipped Epcot on my last trip for an extra day at DHS.

We did HS on our arrival day, so it was a half day (afternoon/evening) for us and that was perfect. We didn't have park hoppers either. The construction wasn't intrusive at all and the crowds were very light (this was on Labor Day) with minimal wait times. I would say don't miss it!

I also thought about skipping HS on our upcoming wedding/honeymoon trip.. we are going to have 4 park days after the wedding and we really wanted to spend more than a day in Epcot (we love drinking around the world :drinking1) BUT I know we will miss riding ToT and RnRC and eating at Mama Melrose (I love this place!)

I'm still kind of torn because if we take out HS we would have time to do the Wild Africa Trek which I've always wanted to do, but it feels weird to go to Disney and not visit all 4 parks.

Im skipping DHS on the next trip, will hopefully be back for Star Wars Land and Toy Story.

I can not imagine a trip to WDW without at least riding TOT, Toy Story mania, and RR Coaster!! it's worth it for us just for that!

This is the way we are leaning. We can't imagine not riding them too!

We were just there and while the park is somewhat sparse, the construction is not at disruptive or really noticeable. Its a half day or few hour park but worth a visit still.

Thank you, it is good to hear that the construction is not disruptive.

We went for a half day in late August and regretted it.

Fuller story - I would only go if you could get FP for most/all of the rides you wanted. We had FP for ToT but they were having issues with the ride so we STILL waited about 30 minutes to get on. Then ODD didn't like the ride, so forget about rider switch - DH had to forgo it. Star Tours is one of our ODD's favorite rides, so we all went on that - again, a longish wait even with a FP - I think they didn't have all 3 tracks open - and while our toddler enjoyed the ride, she was literally just along for the ride. That was our 3 FP. Lines for everything else were too long to justify waiting. We had fun on what we did, but overall did not think it was worth the trip.

ETA: Next trip we are staying at BWV. HS might be a good arrival day park.

OP: Where are you staying? resort time may be a better use of time than DHS, depending on where you are and how long it would take to get to/from DHS.

Last edited:
I would regret not going to HS. There IS construction, but there's still plenty to see and do. The only things missing are the backlot/ Lights, Motor, Action area and the Great Movie Ride. Everything else is just as it ever was. We spent a whole day there on our last trip (September) and I was surprised that we filled the day.

My favorite memories of visiting MGM as a child were the Backlot Tour and Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Without those plus GMR, there really isn't that much at MGM anymore...at least until Toy Story and Star Wars Lands open. I do like TSM and Star Tours, but there's just not enough stuff for me to fill more than half a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter