DHS bus drop off 20 min walk!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really confused about 2 of the major complaints
1. no shade while walking to the buses.
Is there shade walking to the other park bus stops that I missed? Because I'm pretty sure those walks are non-shaded too

2. how far it is.
Didn't someone point out that the DS bus stop distances aren't that much further?

Now, the one differences is once you are there waiting the stops are uncovered, that I see but seriously, how is the distance and the walk THAT much different? What is causing all this stress and strife? Other than fo

Not sure which side you are talking about but some of it is the Gondola station (The long aqua roof area, near the lake)
The walk to the epcot buses is mostly shaded. The MK bus loops are entirely shaded. So are the AK bus stops.

Thank you for clarifying about the source of the time/distance data. Anyone who reads your comment here will know. But the actual story does not indicate at all that you are merely relaying how long they told you it took. In the story, the time for the walk is presented as fact; "... it took...20-minutes to walk from bus stop number one to the entrance of the park;...".

I believe it is more accurate to say the many posters on the DISboards have commented that if the time and distance are accurate, that would indicate a rather slow pace of 1.5 mph, compared to the average walking speed (around 3 mph).

I want to be clear that I agree with the main thrust of your post (which I take to be that the walk to/from the buses at DHS has changed, it may present difficulties for some guests, and you want your readers to be aware). I also agree with most of your other opinions/comments here, and in your story, and it is a valuable post overall. It's just not clear to someone who has read only the wdwinfo post that the walking time and distance were not verified by the author.
I sooooo appreciate you taking the time to respond! I'm wondering if you saw the author's note that I added to the top of that story later in the afternoon yesterday? I tried to clarify a bit, but I'm not sure that what I added did the trick. I really want to help people understand that it can be an awfully difficult walk for a good number of people, especially at the end of a long day but at the beginning of the day too when you haven't even gotten started yet. The other thing I've found is that even people who are super in-shape but not from a place that is so hot and humid have a really hard time simply being outside down here. It can be a shocker when you're thinking the bus is going to drop you off at the front of the park and then all you see are switchbacks and concrete that appear to go on forever.

People are saying that it will be like this until at least December, so while that is temporary, it's a few months and DHS has so much going on for Christmas with Sunset Seasons Greetings and all. The weather isn't as bad then as it is now, but it's still warmer than most are used to in the November/December months. Just hoping people are prepared. Someone up-thread posted that her sister saw a lot of people having a hard time today. I just wonder how many folks end up stopping a bunch of times on the way because they are overwhelmed by the heat. :(

I'm really confused about 2 of the major complaints

1. no shade while walking to the buses.

Is there shade walking to the other park bus stops that I missed? Because I'm pretty sure those walks are non-shaded too

We didn't measure how far the bus stop was, but I can assure you it is farther than all the other theme parks bus stops.

We didn't know people where complaining, DW and I were like “we're not walking that distance again”.

Also, do you know of any other walkway to the bus where CMs are regularly posted, waving and smiling at guests, making sure everything is ok? Even Epcot which can be quite a long journey doesn't have this setup.

2. how far it is.

Didn't someone point out that the DS bus stop distances aren't that much further?

Now, the one differences is once you are there waiting the stops are uncovered, that I see but seriously, how is the distance and the walk THAT much different? What is causing all this stress and strife?

Once again, I think the setup is hard to explain. It is very un-Disney.

Not sure which side you are talking about but some of it is the Gondola station (The long aqua roof area, near the lake)

Yes there is this construction going on. There is also another building that is being raised just where the temporary bus stops are. That building has a long shape, round at its end, that make it sound like it could be a bus station. I have no idea where they are building the new bus station, but if it is there, then this is just the beginning for people to complain that the bus are too far away at this park.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...tudios-farther-from-entrance-than-youd-think/

According to this, it seems the bus pickup/drop off for DHS is pretty crazy "20 mins for a fast walker from the closest bus stop?!?" Seems a little ridiculous. Has anyone who's been there since the changes experienced the new stops? Any thoughts/input?

We're heading down in a couple weeks and it does not sound fun for our group of 12 (ages 3- 66).

Does anyone know where the drop off location for uber/lyft would be (how much closer if any)? Trying to have a backup plan...20 mins drenched in sweat during the end if Aug./beginning of Sept., sounds bizarre.
Most people can walk almost a mile in 20 minutes. So I would say the information given you it not totally accurate.

I'm curious - will Disney do anything to make this better, with all of the obvious unhappiness surrounding this setup?

We'll be there in 2 weeks, but staying at the Boardwalk I don't anticipate it affecting us too much (other than park hopping, I guess). Still, I hope Disney hears these issues and at least sets up some more shade.

Why couldn't they have trams like they have at MK parking lot to the entrance. I will be there in 2 weeks and always have an umbrella, so that should help a little.

What's the temporary solution? The "cooling stations?" In my opinion that sounds unreasonable for a company who markets the whole door to door service....give me a break, surely there could have been a bit better planning/brainstorming...at the very least maybe care enough to not have this scheduled during the hottest and wettest part if the year. They obviously could have built some temporary shading etc., or found a more realistic place for bus stops etc. At the end of the day it's just another drop of the ball in customer service, because who cares ppl. aren't refusing to come because of it...true Disney style and to be fair most businesses.

What's the temporary solution? The "cooling stations?" In my opinion that sounds unreasonable for a company who markets the whole door to door service....give me a break, surely there could have been a bit better planning/brainstorming...at the very least maybe care enough to not have this scheduled during the hottest and wettest part if the year. They obviously could have built some temporary shading etc., or found a more realistic place for bus stops etc. At the end of the day it's just another drop of the ball in customer service, because who cares ppl. aren't refusing to come because of it...true Disney style and to be fair most businesses.
Completely understand your point but it's something that needed to be done eventually. Not sure what the time frame for opening the skyliner is, I'm assuming they saw that vacation/summer time is winding down for many and thought it would be the best time, idk, I wasn't in any meetings. The cooling buses is a good solution, you can sit inside and wait for your bus to come. Temporary shade would be good too. Anyways I'm going tomorrow to check it all out and report back first hand to add to other reports

Completely understand your point but it's something that needed to be done eventually. Not sure what the time frame for opening the skyliner is, I'm assuming they saw that vacation/summer time is winding down for many and thought it would be the best time, idk, I wasn't in any meetings. The cooling buses is a good solution, you can sit inside and wait for your bus to come. Temporary shade would be good too. Anyways I'm going tomorrow to check it all out and report back first hand to add to other reports
Thanks in advance for checking it out!

We didn't measure how far the bus stop was, but I can assure you it is farther than all the other theme parks bus stops.
Someone did measure.
1556 at DHS compared to 1419 at Epcot and the AK one is cut off but I think it's 1800 or 1300 something.
So yeah, a whopping 100 ft further
And yes, I have walked the approx distance because we walk from BW each trip and we walked the altered path already. Not from the bus stops now but I am well aware of where it is.

Ok I did some Google maps distance estimates. Obviously not exact measurements but gives an idea of sorts.

DHS

View attachment 343978

The new temporary walkway from the resorts.

View attachment 343979

Animal Kingdom

View attachment 343980

Epcot

View attachment 343981

The bus stops at MK, Epcot and AK are 100% shaded.
I'm talking about THE WALK not the stops. I said the stops are covered
People are comparing and complaining about the hot walk. I said how is the walk different. Where is the walk to a bus stop shaded?
Not the stop itself but the walk?

But if you can walk from MK entrance or Epcot entrance to the bus stop in the shade, that's great. I sure haven't found a way to do it

We went August 10th and bus stops were at usual place. We were surprised when we went again August 15th to find them at a different spot-we knew they were going to be moved, but didn't know when. It was about 8 minute walk for us (my dad is a very fit 75 year old who walks every day and we walk at an average pace). Our bus dropped us off at the farthest possible spot- would have been nice to get dropped off closer at 8:00am, but it was fine). Our walk out was more difficult as we were now hot and tired (about 2:00pm) and it still probably took us about 8-10 minutes. Thankfully there was a cooling bus (as mentioned here by @WebmasterJackie )that offered us a place to sit/cool down as there are only 2 small umbrella's providing enough shade for 4-5 people total. We were in line for about 10 minutes before a driver signaled for us (from PORS bus stop) to get on the cooling bus. It's not so much the walk that's difficult but rather the waiting at the bus stop in the sun with no shelter. It was hot but it wouldn't make me avoid DHS. That's just our experience.

I have to ask if people can't handle walking half a mile (which takes an average person 10 minutes or less, and only the stated 20 if you're walking backwards or crawling), then how do they handle touring the parks all day...?
to give you an example, I could most likely walk the distance but in the heat, with no shade after being tired of being in the parks (which i can only do a few hrs at a time) and then having to wait who nows how long for a bus, I have health issues that could quickly lead to me passing out and being out of commission for days on end afterwards. in the parks i can cut into gift shops with a/c or shaded areas/quick service places as needed. here it isn't possible. now i understand this situation is unavoidable but it is not great for me but I'm glad i know and will work around it by likely using minnie van for my upcoming trip. I'm also sure some people are worse off than I am. unfortunately, for some individuals what may seem trivial and easy can become quite complicated for a variety of reasons. i get that disney has to do what they gotta do. it might be inconvenient but I won't let it ruin my time in the park.

I'm talking about THE WALK not the stops. I said the stops are covered
People are comparing and complaining about the hot walk. I said how is the walk different. Where is the walk to a bus stop shaded?
Not the stop itself but the walk?

But if you can walk from MK entrance or Epcot entrance to the bus stop in the shade, that's great. I sure haven't found a way to do it
I mean I will say the one to/from Epcot does have a decent amount of shade from the surroundings, however I don't think you care to understand the point of those who are frustrated, and just like you, they're entitled to their own thoughts/opinions. It's great if you're happy to make the walk and wait at a bus stop further away and with no shade at DHS, but it's also okay if others feel frustrated or feel that Disney could have and should have done something better. There's really no point of arguing over, because it all depends on each person's situation, tolerance, etc. What is useful on this thread is first hand knowledge and specific info./facts about the situation.

Last edited:
Someone did measure.

1556 at DHS compared to 1419 at Epcot and the AK one is cut off but I think it's 1800 or 1300 something.

So yeah, a whopping 100 ft further

That's interesting. FWIW, DW and I absolutely have no problems walking or running long distances, but we absolutely FELT the walk to the bus station at DHS was unpleasant. We thought it was because it was long, but with the data you provided, it sure must be something else, thanks for pointing that out!

Also, we don't have that feeling at Epcot. We know buses can be far away, but we just deal with it. Maybe because the walkway is more scenic? “Look right, a monorail, look left, Spaceship Earth, oh we're already there, was is our bus stop again?”

All things said, I totally agree when you point out that some people are over-reacting over this. This is just a temporary bus stop, that is needed for future expansion of the resort. Also, there are cheap alternative solutions, such as driving or renting a Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van.

However, once again, I hope that you can try that walkway on your next trip at WDW, because there is “something” with it that probably can't be described with words, which probably is a reason why this topic is so dividing. DW and I didn't like it, and we had no idea the internet was broken with people ranting about it on this 6+ page topic, which I found out later that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter