• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DHS day or MK evening entertainment?

amerikiwiroo

Mouseketeer
Origininally I was thinking of the following for our 5 day base tickets: 2 days MK, 1 day AK, 1 day Epcot, and 1 day HS. Due to a YES class on one day and ADR at CRT (plus A&E fastpasses) on another, our two MK days are set. Both MK days happen to be on party nights. After looking at the attractions at DHS, I'm thinking I may prefer to skip HS in favour of a quiet resort day and evening at MK for Wishes. It's our first trip though, so I'm cautious to skip a park without seeing it first.

The cast of characters include husband, myself, nearly 4 year old son, nearly 6 year old daughter, my Mom and my Aunt.

Three members of our party can't see 3-D so that takes out Muppets and Toy Story Midway Mania.

We don't have any Star Wars fans (and DS would be too young for Jedi training anyways)

The kids have pretty much outgrown the Disney Jr. cast. They'd be happy to see Jake, Sofia and Doc but they won't be upset if we miss them.

The kids love Frozen, but the only thing left at the end of Sept. is the Frozen sing-along.

If we do HS, we won't have a rest day (though we're not planning on RD-closing anyways). So, given our cast and situation, would you recommend skipping DHS in favor of seeing evening entertainment at MK? Alternatively, we could skip wishes in park and watch them from out of the park in order to do HS? TIA

Edit to Add: The YES tickets are non-upgradable, so we can't add the hopper option.

Last edited:
In my opinion, can skip DHS with no worries. We were in the world in June, wife and I, DS8, DS2 and my mother. TSMM and ST were the only things my older son wanted to do in that park, and our younger son wasn't wowed by much there. This being your first trip to the world it will be very overwhelming and you will end up appreciating a rest day. It costs so much money to go to Disney that you feel like you have to do everything you can to get your money's worth but you need to try and remember you're on vacation and need to build in a little relax time. Have a great time!

I think that you need to evaluate whether you want to give up several hours in a park for a 15 minute fireworks show. Yes, fireworks over the castle are cool, but if that is all you are planning to do, I'm not sure that it's worth skipping DHS. If you will also be watching the Main Street Electrical Parade and Celebrate the Magic and maybe working in a ride or two, it might be worth considering. However, Fantasmic at DHS is also worth seeing. Either way, you could spend most of your day at the resort and a few evening hours in a park. Personally, I would skip Wishes and go to DHS.

Thank you for the feedback! It's reassuring to hear that I'm not completely crazy for considering skipping a park. I'm really liking the idea of a relaxing day followed by an evening at MK. It will be on day 4 of our holiday, so we'll probably appreciate it by then. Since I was still undecided at 60 days I went ahead and got FP+ for Wishes (in part so that we can see Celebrate the Magic too) as well as 7DMT and Peter Pan for that evening figuring that those would be harder to pick up last minute than anything we were planning at DHS. Maybe by skipping DHS, it will also help convince DH that we need to plan a return trip since we'll have a whole new park that we haven't seen yet. :D

I like your idea of skipping DHS to do another day at MK, especially if this is your first trip. At those ages MK will hands-down be your kids' favorite park. It's not just about seeing wishes, the ambiance of MK at night if different than during the day. There's nothing like MK at night! However you didn't mention when you'll be there. If you're going when the Osborne lights are up, that would make the decision a little more difficult...

I like your idea of skipping DHS to do another day at MK, especially if this is your first trip. At those ages MK will hands-down be your kids' favorite park. It's not just about seeing wishes, the ambiance of MK at night if different than during the day. There's nothing like MK at night! However you didn't mention when you'll be there. If you're going when the Osborne lights are up, that would make the decision a little more difficult...

Thank you. We're there at the end of September. It'll be after Frozen Summer Fun and before Osborne lights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter