• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DHS entertainment changes

In a classic case of you can’t please some people this stood out to me

Since opening, the main criticism of Galaxy's Edge has been a lack of atmosphere entertainment in a land that initially promised to be alive with the local residents of Black Spire Outpost and beyond. These changes look to be the first step in addressing that criticism

There is a lot of street atmosphere in Batuu. Maybe people just don’t know who they are seeing. Like Vi. How many of the typical guest know her?

Since opening, the main criticism of Galaxy's Edge has been a lack of atmosphere entertainment in a land that initially promised to be alive with the local residents of Black Spire Outpost and beyond. These changes look to be the first step in addressing that criticism

There is a lot of street atmosphere in Batuu. Maybe people just don’t know who they are seeing. Like Vi. How many of the typical guest know her?

I think its more a large lack based on what was initially promised. Droids were supposed to be wandering around the land, there was supposed to be constant interaction with residents, not just a few scattered appearances. I believe that the land (not sure if it was East, West or both) has lots of spaces above ground that appear to be built with shows/interactions in mind. And never mind the promised interactivity hasn't materialized. The whole thing where if you did great as Pilot on Smuggler Run, the CMs were supposed to know that and interact with you accordingly type stuff.

One thing is most Guests don't know to interact with the Cast,many of whom really do a great job of being "part" of the backstory.

We have enjoyed that so much-we try to "enhance" the interaction-we will say that we are staying with friends out in Galma,etc.

Great fun with a great Cast.

I think its more a large lack based on what was initially promised. Droids were supposed to be wandering around the land, there was supposed to be constant interaction with residents, not just a few scattered appearances. I believe that the land (not sure if it was East, West or both) has lots of spaces above ground that appear to be built with shows/interactions in mind. And never mind the promised interactivity hasn't materialized. The whole thing where if you did great as Pilot on Smuggler Run, the CMs were supposed to know that and interact with you accordingly type stuff.
I've had interactions with any residents (CM) that I spoke to. They aren't going to just initiate contact with people who aren't looking for interaction.

No idea bout SR results instigating interactions. We've been pilots but we sucked at it, LOL
Where was this reported to be happening? Was this in official announcements from Disney?

Yep, Disney said results from your Falcon run would follow you around the land...I believe the example they used was a bounty hunter tracking you down in the cantina. I found an old article: https://blooloop.com/features/galaxys-edge-interactive-experiences/

BSO was supposed to be much better than what it is. It’s a shame. I still really enjoy the land, but was/am disappointed at the huge gap between what Disney said it would be and what it actually is.
I've had interactions with any residents (CM) that I spoke to. They aren't going to just initiate contact with people who aren't looking for interaction.

No idea bout SR results instigating interactions. We've been pilots but we sucked at it, LOL
Where was this reported to be happening? Was this in official announcements from Disney?

Last edited:

I do wish they would have more scheduled entertainment. We only had one day and felt like we were always missing it. Eg, rounding the corner just to see the very end of Kylo doing some sort of show on a stage near his ship. Trying to walk up Rey with my kids only for her to go running off to evade some stormtroopers. Leaving a shop to see Hux walking off away from us at a fast clip. It was all so luck of the draw whether your timing was right to actually get to see more than 10 seconds worth of entertainment.

I do wish they would have more scheduled entertainment. We only had one day and felt like we were always missing it. Eg, rounding the corner just to see the very end of Kylo doing some sort of show on a stage near his ship. Trying to walk up Rey with my kids only for her to go running off to evade some stormtroopers. Leaving a shop to see Hux walking off away from us at a fast clip. It was all so luck of the draw whether your timing was right to actually get to see more than 10 seconds worth of entertainment.
Having bad timing is a far cry from it not being there at all. Or am I misunderstanding?

As other mentioned there was discussed/promised more than there is

But also it seems inconsistent - some have had very good experiences like you but others have said they have been there multiplie times and other than the occasional storm trooper haven't seen anything else. Never saw Vi, or Rey, or Chewie, or Kylo, etc. Doesn't mean not there but also a "your miles may vary" situation

Plus you have the other end of the spectrum with people hating the immersion/interactiveness part and just wanting CMs to be CMs and talk "normal" to them - so Disney can't win

Having bad timing is a far cry from it not being there at all. Or am I misunderstanding?
My point was that there should be at least some entertainment that is scheduled. Like at Epcot, I don’t have to get lucky and stumble across world showcase performances or character meets—I can see in the app when and where to be.

You both are having different interpretations between immersion and entertainment.

SWGE is supposed to be like walking the busy streets in a foreign country and interacting with the locals as you happen up them. It was not designed to have "shows" about that culture like EPCOT.

But they were originally pushing it as having CMs just roaming in character. Not you just talking with CMs working shops, guest assistance, food service, etc.

Read the article here -> https://insidethemagic.net/2017/04/...ghout-fully-interactive-theme-park-expansion/

Guests boarding the Millennium Falcon ride will have the opportunity to work together to command the space vessel – for better or for worse. Choices made on the ride, whether they end in a successful lightspeed trip or a crash landing, will impact guests when they step off the ride.

For example, as they step into a “local watering hole” to grab a glass of blue milk (yep, they’ll have that), guests may find themselves on the wrong side of the local crowd if they made poor choices on the ride. A bounty hunter may even be looking for them. Or perhaps as you shop a marketplace, you’ll come across roaming droids and other interesting characters that force you to make decisions.

You can see specific mention to a) your decisions/actions on MF:SR impacting the rest of your time in Batuu b) "roaming droids and other interesting characters" which as of now seems to be limited to Rey, Vi, Chewie, Kylo and Stormtroopers.

Most people took that to mean that there would be alot of streetmosphere. Aliens walking around, interacting with the store keepers, stuff like that. The results of your actions on MF:SR were supposed to be over multiple trips as well. You did poorly as pilot on Monday, but great as a gunner on Tuesday, they were supposed to know that your gunner skills were much better than your piloting skills.

At one point there were reports of some sort of information being shown to CMs at stores, via a little display by the registers, but I only saw a few reports of that, and can't find any of them right now. There were alot of questions about how this was all going to work. WDW can in theory track you via MB, but no real way to do it at DLR, and the seats on MF:SR don't seem to have any obvious way to identify your MB.

I don’t want scheduled entertainment in BSO unless it feels like something that the residents of BSO would actually schedule. However, more entertainment/characters is needed. There should always be roaming characters. Many times I have walked back and forth through the land and found no one. As for scheduled, I could see musical entertainment feeling “real”...Universal does that with Harry Potter, though having the same exact act all day does take away a bit from the realness. Having the pilots out in the camp like they did the first few nights felt real and really added to the immersion. Why not have all sorts of Resistance people constantly flitting in and out of the camp area? Bounty hunters, droids, and non-humans besides Chewie wandering around would help too. Non stormtrooper officers from the First Order would be good too. One of my favorite SWW memories is happening to see Empire officers who were just starting to have a rally for the Empire...it was hilarious and the officers were 100% in character.

I second the PP-if this is supposed to feel like an immersive visit , scheduled entertainment does not fit in. We ran across Vi, Chewbacca, Ren, and had several conversations with stormtroopers and other residents. If they add more bounty hunters and droids and such that would be nice, however.

I second the PP-if this is supposed to feel like an immersive visit , scheduled entertainment does not fit in. We ran across Vi, Chewbacca, Ren, and had several conversations with stormtroopers and other residents. If they add more bounty hunters and droids and such that would be nice, however.
Well if it is supposed to be “immersive” it should be more than a mere chance a passing character encounter. I hardly felt immersed—felt more like I barely got my toes wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter