DHS Sorcerer's Hat to be removed

i bet the same people who have complained about the hat for years will start complaining about the hat leaving soon

By 'early 2015' I hope they mean after January 30th ;) I'd love to get one more picture.

mog.gif

If I remember right you could get stuff with the Earful tower, the theater and the entrance as icons for MGM back in the mid 90's. They seem not to be able to make up their minds. I like the hat idea but not the placement. Where it is at right now is an eyesore to me. I miss the Christmas tree in front of the theater for the park's tree. It was so much nicer to me.

I just told my family and I got, "NOOOOOOO! WHHHYYYYYY?" from all of them. I had no idea they cared so much about the hat. Good thing we'll get one last pic in front of it in December!

Side note: We've finally started reading/watching Harry Potter, and my kids are totally into it. I had to explain to them that there is a Harry Potter land, but not at Disney. When I told my daughter (8) about the hat, she justified it with, "Well, you told me that Disney is against Harry Potter, and Harry Potter is magic, and the hat is magic, and so Disney probably wanted to get rid of the hat because Disney doesn't like magic."

So much for "the most magical place on earth."
4Ih32Hy.gif

I'm glad that the hat is going away. The building behind it is lovely and the hat was just jarring in the middle of the old Hollywood theming. They could however move it somewhere else.

If I remember right you could get stuff with the Earful tower, the theater and the entrance as icons for MGM back in the mid 90's. They seem not to be able to make up their minds. I like the hat idea but not the placement. Where it is at right now is an eyesore to me. I miss the Christmas tree in front of the theater for the park's tree. It was so much nicer to me.

I have a mug from '98 that I picked up right after AK opened. It still has the Earful Tower as one of the four icons.

The new location of the hat:
image.jpg

Haven't been on here in few months. Jumped in to see reaction to the hat news. And now I'm so glad I did. I lol'd so loud at that. It looks pretty good!

I was thinking maybe they'd put it outside the park entrance where the fantasia brooms topiary set up is. Would it be way too big for that area? It could still be the icon there. But it seems they're moving away from that.

To me HS is Fantasmic! and Sorcerer Mickey so I'll be sad to see the hat go. That's the only way I know the park.

I just bought a hat charm for my bracelet last May on my trip. Was working on getting charm for each icon. Didn't think it'd be last time id see it there!

I've grown accustomed to it now, but I was never a fan when they put it in, I will be interested to see what they do with it and whether something else will go in it's place.

johde !!!

My family and I visited the year of the infamous cake castle. Everyone was horrified, and it was just ridiculous!! But looking at the photos now, they're actually kind of amusing - it was just so bad :rotfl:

We visited twice during that time. The pepto pink cake actually started to grow on me.

We went to WDW for the first time this summer (DLR vets). I didn't really understand the hat as symbol. We got some pictures in front of it but the one from DHS I framed (I framed one pick from each park) was one of us in front of the Mickey topiary out front. I liked that back drop better.

I'm glad we got pics and we saw it, but I'm excited when we go back in 2019 that there will be a whole new park to see at DHS. We didn't think it made sense to be called "Studios" and have a "studio tour" when it isn't. I do think it could be a good park with a movie theme though. And we really liked the GMR. Sure it could use some updating, but we thought it was pretty original and unlike anything at DLR. If that goes, we will be sad.

About park icons-
I'm so glad the Epcot ball didn't have any hands or numbers on it when we went. Seeing it was one of my favorite things about our trip. It is so huge! I couldn't get enough pictures.
And thank goodness the castle wasn't that pink monstrosity. We took the tour at the MK and the tour guide told us that brides canceled their weddings because of it and said they learned their lesson.

Anyway all these changes coming to WDW sound very exciting to me and make me want to go back!

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but
A) could it be moved to the Fantasmic entrance area?
B) would people hate that?

I can't imagine having my wedding pictures in front of that pink castle!! What year was that? It must have been during my early 20's when I was totally out of the loop :)

I just saw 1996-1997. That explains my missing it. The college years :)

johde !!!

My family and I visited the year of the infamous cake castle. Everyone was horrified, and it was just ridiculous!! But looking at the photos now, they're actually kind of amusing - it was just so bad :rotfl:

I visited that year as well and simply LOVED the cake castle. Looking at pictures now I can definitely see how ridiculous and over the top it was, but I still remember 7/8 year old me thinking about how lucky it was we got to go when the castle happened to be a cake.
Just had to put that out there, I don't think I've ever seen one person in favor of the cake lol :cake: :cake:

I can't imagine having my wedding pictures in front of that pink castle!! What year was that? It must have been during my early 20's when I was totally out of the loop :)

It was '96-'97. We went for our first WDW trip that year and being from CA and being DL vets, we thought it interesting that "they" turned their Castle into a birthday cake. The pictures all of our friends wanted to see were the ones of "their Castle!" :) Everyone actually thought it was neat especially because DL's Castle never looked Iike that.

We, of course, had no idea what the real Cinderella Castle looked like. All of our souvenirs have the birthday cake on them!

Oooh I was so angry about the castle cake. Took my ex to WDW in 1996 and that's what we found when we got there. I was not amused.

I thought that the cake castle was bizarre but it made me laugh. It was amusing in a trashy sort of way.

I visited that year as well and simply LOVED the cake castle. Looking at pictures now I can definitely see how ridiculous and over the top it was, but I still remember 7/8 year old me thinking about how lucky it was we got to go when the castle happened to be a cake.
Just had to put that out there, I don't think I've ever seen one person in favor of the cake lol :cake: :cake:
I can see how a child would totally love it. I probably would have too if I was little.

It was '96-'97. We went for our first WDW trip that year and being from CA and being DL vets, we thought it interesting that "they" turned their Castle into a birthday cake. The pictures all of our friends wanted to see were the ones of "their Castle!" :) Everyone actually thought it was neat especially because DL's Castle never looked Iike that.

We, of course, had no idea what the real Cinderella Castle looked like. All of our souvenirs have the birthday cake on them!
Funny! All that bragging WDWers do about their giant castle and laughing at tripping over our "little" castle and then you can't even see the real thing! I do have to say yes, Cinderella's castle is beautiful. We got pictures in front of it before the park opened and I'm glad I got to see it the right way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter